• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin timeshare

itunuoba

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kahana falls
Grandview Las Vegas
Hello, new to timeshare but have bought 2 on RedWeek. 1 can exchange with RCI (Grandview Las Vegas) and the other van exchange with II (kahana falls Hawaii).
I'm currently staying at westin lagunanamar and of course they are trying to sell me 37,000 options.
I can buy on the resale market a platinum week for this resort which also converts to 81,000 points (1 bedroom platinum week)

The sales guys are telling me I can only use it at cancun and won't be able to exchange on II to other Marriott properties. Is this true?
I really love Marriott/ Westin properties.
What's your advice?
They want to sell me 37,000 options for $12,600... with incentives of course.
74,000 extra point - 1 time
120,000 Marriott bonvoy points
Gold elite for my hubby. I already have platinum elite.

What do you think?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Of course it's not true. You can certainly trade Lagunamar via II. Read the sticky re mandatory vs voluntary resorts so you are better informed about the network. Lagunamar is a voluntary resort.

And 37k is almost worthless. Gold status is also worthless. Don't buy direct.

Last edited:

itunuoba

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kahana falls
Grandview Las Vegas
Of course it's not true. You can certainly trade Lagunamar via II. Read the sticky re mandatory vs volunteer resorts so you are better informed about the network. Lagunamar is a voluntary resort.

And 37k is almost worthless. Gold status is also worthless. Don't buy direct.
Thank you. I'm glad I didn't buy. They want to sell the encore package to me though. It's $1495 for a 7 days/ 6 nights stay at lagunamar and also get 150,000 Marriott Bonvoy point. So if I come back (24 months to use) they can take that amount out of the purchase price if I want to buy directly from them

Reading the thread now, looks like it's better to buy resale first before buying from the developers IF I ever want to buy direct. So they can revalue the resale purchase into the contract.
I love cancun. I own a property here so I'll always visit Cancún. My property is not on the beach so I'll like to come spend some days on the beach resort waking up to the sound of the Ocean ( it's my happy place) but would also like to the ability to trade it on II.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I can buy on the resale market a platinum week for this resort which also converts to 81,000 points (1 bedroom platinum week)

What do you think?

This part is not true. A resale purchase at this resort will not allow you to use Staroptions without an additional developer purchase.

As mentioned above, read about "mandatory vs. voluntary" resorts in the forum sticky.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Buy Westin Kierland Villas mandatory options via resale. You can get one for $17,000 or so, 148,000 Staroptions for a 2 bedroom lockoff unit.

What do you think of Kahana Falls? If you love Marriott/ Vistana properties, you probably don't think much of that one. It's okay, and it mostly trades with RCI and with Trading Places. You said you use it for II trades? You can do much better with something else for trading purposes. I would rent Kahana Falls for maintenance fees.

Salespeople talk a good game but total exaggerations and outright lies is how timeshares are sold via developer.

itunuoba

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kahana falls
Grandview Las Vegas
Buy Westin Kierland Villas mandatory options via resale. You can get one for $17,000 or so, 148,000 Staroptions for a 2 bedroom lockoff unit.

What do you think of Kahana Falls? If you love Marriott/ Vistana properties, you probably don't think much of that one. It's okay, and it mostly trades with RCI and with Trading Places. You said you use it for II trades? You can do much better with something else for trading purposes. I would rent Kahana Falls for maintenance fees.

Salespeople talk a good game but total exaggerations and outright lies is how timeshares are sold via developer.
I have not use the week at Kahana falls yet. I deposited it in trading places but I just called II to use it to create an account with them. Was wondering if II will allow me to get Marriott properties with my Kahana fall week on getaways.
Yea, sales folks can be very convincing. I'm glad I found this group.
Thanks for your comment

itunuoba

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kahana falls
Grandview Las Vegas
This part is not true. A resale purchase at this resort will not allow you to use Staroptions without an additional developer purchase.

As mentioned above, read about "mandatory vs. voluntary" resorts in the forum sticky.
Makes sense. I've been reading the sticky. Is there a list of all mandatory resorts?

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Makes sense. I've been reading the sticky. Is there a list of all mandatory resorts?

Should be in the sticky too :)

If I recall correctly:

Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella & Key West pases)
Westin St John (Virgin Grand phase only)
Harborside (both phases)
WKORV + WKORVN (not Nanea)
Westin Kierland

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I would contact advantagevacation.com Syed is great. We bought our two Maui Westins from Syed. Considering additional purchases, but only through Syed.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The encore package is not a bad deal. You will have to attend another sales presentation

It’s also not a good deal, especially when you consider this years devaluation in Marriott points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Et
It’s also not a good deal, especially when you consider this years devaluation in Marriott points.

About the only time I would recommend them is if someone is looking to retro in some resale voluntary weeks to get up to Execuitive or higher. With this, it is going to require a retail purchase anyway and might as well get that Encore Package "for free" as they will discount the retail purchase by that amount. Though one also has to consider that they will also do a linkage credit if you have a hotel room booked for before or after your the stay when you buy in with the retro.

The strategy I would take would be to buy two Westin Lagunamar Platinum Plus weeks on the resale market. These are worth 4,950 Club Points and 148,100 if enrolled. Then upon a return to Lagunamar, retro both weeks by purchasing Westin Aventuras. Have them put the value of the Encore Package or linkage credit, it would have to be Minimum $15,000 in new money, but would put one over the Presidential level for over/under $20K. (not sure what Lagunamar Plat+ sells for these days). Getting in at this level with pure trust points would cost over $100,000.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
About the only time I would recommend them is if someone is looking to retro in some resale voluntary weeks to get up to Execuitive or higher. With this, it is going to require a retail purchase anyway and might as well get that Encore Package "for free" as they will discount the retail purchase by that amount. Though one also has to consider that they will also do a linkage credit if you have a hotel room booked for before or after your the stay when you buy in with the retro.

The strategy I would take would be to buy two Westin Lagunamar Platinum Plus weeks on the resale market. These are worth 4,950 Club Points and 148,100 if enrolled. Then upon a return to Lagunamar, retro both weeks by purchasing Westin Aventuras. Have them put the value of the Encore Package or linkage credit, it would have to be Minimum $15,000 in new money, but would put one over the Presidential level for over/under $20K. (not sure what Lagunamar Plat+ sells for these days). Getting in at this level with pure trust points would cost over $100,000.

Yes. :)

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Too bad I bought years ago and didn't use this strategy then. Of course I just bought resale mandatory instead and was enrolled into Abound for no extra purchase!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Too bad I bought years ago and didn't use this strategy then. Of course I just bought resale mandatory instead and was enrolled into Abound for no extra purchase!

Yes, but mandatory tends to retain more value over time and if you keep a long time then WKV, for instance, saves based on the MF:SO cost. I'm sure you know this.

I have no intention of ever using Abound with my WKV week. If at some point I can't reserve what I want with it using SOs, then that may mean it's time to sell and check out other travel options.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The encore package is not a bad deal. You will have to attend another sales presentation

Not a good deal unless you plan to buy from them - which is ill advised. So… not a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, but mandatory tends to retain more value over time and if you keep a long time then WKV, for instance, saves based on the MF:SO cost. I'm sure you know this.

I have no intention of ever using Abound with my WKV week. If at some point I can't reserve what I want with it using SOs, then that may mean it's time to sell and check out other travel options.
I feel the same about our SO's at Westin Ka'anapali. No way would I ever use them in Abound. I know what we have.

Still thinking of more Westin Kierland or Ka'anapali for the mandatory options, but Rick is a tough one to convince. He is very impressed with what we bought on Maui, and he really likes having the status with Marriott. He was a tough sell on the Ka'anapali weeks.

They also welcomed us as Chairman's Club here at Branson's Willow Ridge. Kind of nice, but Abound is just a product that doesn't compare to SO's. I love the Westin properties. I have been to so many Marriott resorts, and I love them too, but I can trade in (so far) with my Marriott weeks.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I feel the same about our SO's at Westin Ka'anapali. No way would I ever use them in Abound. I know what we have.

Still thinking of more Westin Kierland or Ka'anapali for the mandatory options.

I’m fairly sure my next timeshare purchase won’t be Marriott, Vistana, etc. It’s time for me to get something different.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I’m fairly sure my next timeshare purchase won’t be Marriott, Vistana, etc. It’s time for me to get something different.

That was the route we took. I see no reason to buy more Marriott or Vistana timeshares. Lots of other options out there. We just bought a Club Wyndham but would probably consider HGVC next.

itunuoba

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kahana falls
Grandview Las Vegas
Should be in the sticky too :)

If I recall correctly:

Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella & Key West pases)
Westin St John (Virgin Grand phase only)
Harborside (both phases)
WKORV + WKORVN (not Nanea)
Westin Kierland
This is very helpful. I'm looking at Sheraton Vistana Villages. Cheap option for purchase. Westin Kierland also looks like very reasonable MF compare to WKORV & WKORVN.
And you believe any of these options can allow me to trade into Marriott and westin properties easily?
I'm more of a beach girl so I'll probably trade for beach destinations like Cancún, Hawaii, the Virgin Islands etc.
I love Orlando too so would probably use my RCI Points for vacation Villages... really low points to use there and save my Staroptions for westin/ Marriott properties in Hawaii.

itunuoba

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kahana falls
Grandview Las Vegas

Still thinking of more Westin Kierland or Ka'anapali for the mandatory options, but Rick is a tough one to convince. He is very impressed with what we bought on Maui, and he really likes having the status with Marriott. He was a tough sell on the Ka'anapali weeks.

They also welcomed us as Chairman's Club here at Branson's Willow Ridge. Kind of nice, but Abound is just a product that doesn't compare to SO's. I love the Westin properties. I have been to so many Marriott resorts, and I love them too, but I can trade in (so far) with my Marriott weeks.
I love the status of Marriott Bonvoy too. I've been platinum elite for 5 years. But from what I've been reading, Staroptions might be cheaper/ smarter than abound point. I'm in conversation to get a mandatory optionsfrom Sheraton Vistana with 95,000 Staroptions. Do you think I can exchange for Marriott/ westin properties in Hawaii for 2 bedroom for 7 days? Is that enough point?
Westin Kierland looks good too but I doubt I'll ever use it there. I'm a beach girl and themeparks girl for the sake of my kids. So Orlando, Mexico and Hawaii exchange seem like where I'll be using it mostly. Or any of the Caribbean resorts

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I love the status of Marriott Bonvoy too. I've been platinum elite for 5 years. But from what I've been reading, Staroptions might be cheaper/ smarter than abound point. I'm in conversation to get a mandatory optionsfrom Sheraton Vistana with 95,000 Staroptions. Do you think I can exchange for Marriott/ westin properties in Hawaii for 2 bedroom for 7 days? Is that enough point?
Westin Kierland looks good too but I doubt I'll ever use it there. I'm a beach girl and themeparks girl for the sake of my kids. So Orlando, Mexico and Hawaii exchange seem like where I'll be using it mostly. Or any of the Caribbean resorts

Take your time. It’s extremely easy to buy and difficult to sell. There will always, always, always be a good deal available and once you know exactly what you want you will find it, even if it takes a little time.

You want 148k SOs. Every 2-bed Westin week in Hawaii costs 148k or more, unless you trade with Interval and that’s risky from a planning/purchasing perspective. This is why WKV is popular with those of us who are able to reserve at eight months.

Orlando is almost always easy to get, and even by simply renting on Interval as a getaway week or renting elsewhere. Orlando is so overbuilt other than holidays it’s usually simple to rent for less than your SOs would cost.

If you plan on keeping more than 5-7 years, then WKV becomes financially preferable when compared to the other resorts due to lower MFs. Of course, MFs are increasing every year so also need to plan on that. And, if they ever change the program you would end up with a week in Scottsdale (this is highly unlikely to occur).

IMO, Marriott Platinum/Titanium is almost worthless. I’m Titanium and speak from experience. I always keep my expectations low so I’m not unhappy, especially in the last year or so and when staying in North America. There is no status benefit at the timeshares from Platinum/Titanium (ie. no late checkout, no upgrade, etc).

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a beach girl and themeparks girl for the sake of my kids.
If you want to be able to do an II exchange into DVC in Orlando don't buy a resort in the greater Orlando area. DVC have a regional block on exchanges from other Orlando properties.
Sheraton flex does exchange quite well in II but ensure you understand the implications of it being "voluntary" within the Vistana system before you buy (adopt) it resale.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

What would you buy?

I don't want to buy Hilton because it's easy to trade into Hilton, but it's also expensive to trade into Hilton through RCI ($289 exchange fee + trading power required + daily fees that add up). I just have to do it because we own so many RCI weeks and Wyndham points that we feel stuck. I just generally don't like RCI, to be honest. Once you have experienced $164 trade fees for internal Marriott/Vistana, you cannot believe $289 (going up to $299) with RCI.

I have to say that Wyndham is a few steps down in comparison to Hilton, Westin, Marriott, and Vistana. There are a few resorts that are exceptional in Wyndham, like Shearwater and Bonnet Creek, and I love Steamboat Springs as well, but Sheraton Steamboat is nicer, by far.

If given the choice, I would take most any Marriott over even Bonnet Creek in Orlando, but the presidential units are very nice and equal to Marriott quality (just crazy high points).

Wyndham does have resorts in places Marriott/ Vistana/ Hyatt do not offer, like Anaheim, Wisconsin Dells, Atlanta, Nashville, and some Ozarks/ Arkansas locations.