• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Hello, just wondering i've had a tough time using my timeshare at WSJ the week we have because of our kids starting school. I know I'll get very little for resale, and have had no luck trying to sell. Does WSJ take back units?

:shrug:
Is it part of Hillside or Bay Vista? If Hillside (aka Virgin Grand Villas), keep in mind that the Staroptions values are going up in 2015 -- in many cases, quite significantly, including hurricane season. This makes them much more appealing to use as traders in the SVN, which could either make it more attractive to keep for your own use, or could cause meaningful changes in its value on the resale market (considering that Staroptions transfer on resale).

olivias dad

Reaction score
It is a hillside studio. While we love it, we can't commit every year as its the first week of school for our kids.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It is a hillside studio. While we love it, we can't commit every year as its the first week of school for our kids.

I assume by this - you own low season (end Aug/early Sept) - if this is the case a studio has very little (no) value in $ or SOs. Not sure what you should do - wish I could be more help. I think that perhaps the best course would exchange it for a CV phase which has more flexibility. I realize that this will cost more (sucks) - because otherwise you will need to let go (foreclosed) - which will pass costs onto other Owners like me - or use somehow.

This is a good reason not to buy a low season VOI - same MFs with much less resale value. Best...

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the new CV phase means the elimination of garden view hotel rooms? We always tack a few extra days after our BV timeshare (because a week in STJ is never enough!) and they booked us into garden view rooms for next December. I'm wondering if that automatically means I'm going to end up poolside or ocean view or whether there will still be garden view I'm not thinking of. If the former, I don't know why they wouldn't have fixed the inventory in their system since they price differently. Thanks.

shockdoct

TUG Member
Reaction score
With some banked starOptions from a few years ago, we transformed our 1BR Prem at WKV to a 3 BR St John Villa in May (9-16, Friday to Friday). We are ecstatic about being able to transfer into any unit at WSJ!

Since we own just the 1 BR at WKV, we are lacking any status for room preference, but I was wondering if there is a way to determine what unit we will end up with when we arrive?

I have made it through about the last 15 pages of this thread and it is quite informative! Thanks to those who shared their experiences.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
You will like them all

With some banked starOptions from a few years ago, we transformed our 1BR Prem at WKV to a 3 BR St John Villa in May (9-16, Friday to Friday). We are ecstatic about being able to transfer into any unit at WSJ!

Since we own just the 1 BR at WKV, we are lacking any status for room preference, but I was wondering if there is a way to determine what unit we will end up with when we arrive?

I have made it through about the last 15 pages of this thread and it is quite informative! Thanks to those who shared their experiences.

I think you will be pleased with whichever villa you get.

The 43xx and 44xx units have the advantage of a hot tub.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
As a reminder - make sure that you check your flight reservations often. I found out (luckily) that the first segment of our flight home in June (STT-CLT-SFO) on USAir was changed. As a consequence. we could no longer connect with the 2nd segment. I received no notice of this - and USAir would not do anything (rebook on AA for example) except to refund my $, or rebook the 2nd segment for the next day (spend the nite in CLT on my dime) - for more money...

Of course - not happy. I ended up canceling the flight (get a refund) - and booking on AA to get home (STT-MIA-SFO). On the positive side I was able to get a Biz/1st class ticket for not that much more (considering bag fees, nite in CLT and extra time to get home).

Amazing that USAir rebooked me on a flight that arrived later in CLT that our plane departed from CLT.

This is not the 1st time our tickets have been changed w/o notice - so remember to check your flights.
USAir stop flying this Friday afternoon flight out of STT.

ferndale

TUG Member
Reaction score
See you in June again!! Air booked, car booked, working on scuba!!

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score

That is a great exchange. We will be at WSJ the same week as you. More then likely, your exchange is for the Bay Vista Section.....But you never know.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Super HD video of StJ
Put in highest HD quality you have

http://youtu.be/ZSNyrBbsQZk

Nice eye candy!

Booked our car for the week.

Stu isn't taking excursions at this time, busy with his wedding business. But we have Steve's email from last time we were at WSJ.

We might book the WSJ excursion to BVI/Soggy Dollar....Snorkel, lunch at Foxy's Taboo and then Soggy Dollar.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There are plenty of captains/boats that can take you on your own tour (within reason) like Stu for about the same $, but w/o hassle of dealing with the bareboat reservation - and boats are moored on StJ.

I sure wish they would do something about the BVI/USVI check-in process - especially as we want to go straight to the areas around Norman Is (and eat lunch at WillieTs. They must lose a lot of tourists' dollars.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sure wish they would do something about the BVI/USVI check-in process - especially as we want to go straight to the areas around Norman Is (and eat lunch at WillieTs. They must lose a lot of tourists' dollars.

Agreed....I hate having to plan on that "extra" stop.....which as never at a convenient point of our trip.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, and not that I'm complaining, I'm wondering why there's a March due date on my MF for BV?

Due Date 03/02/2014

Prior Balance Due
View Prior Year Balance Detail $ 0.00

Current Year Charges

Maintenance Fee(s) $ 2,130.08

Tax - If Applicable $ 256.34

Membership Fee - If Applicable

ajb116

Reaction score
Hillside Resale Week 1 - One Bedroom

Saw a great deal on redweek.com for a 1 bedroom hillside villa for week 1 for a little less that $5K. I would love to purchase but being in finance...year end is an impossible time to go! Is there anyway I would be able to purchase this and switch weeks for another platinum timeframe. I could pretty much go any other time in platinum season.

If not...someone else should snatch it up!:wave:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saw a great deal on redweek.com for a 1 bedroom hillside villa for week 1 for a little less that $5K. I would love to purchase but being in finance...year end is an impossible time to go! Is there anyway I would be able to purchase this and switch weeks for another platinum timeframe. I could pretty much go any other time in platinum season.

Other people may chime in with better opinions, but I'm guessing Week 1 may not be as popular since it's right after the new year?

ajb116

Reaction score
Pricing

Starwood contacted me yesteday to try and get me to buy through them. "Pricing will go up for everything Jan 1st. for hillside and Bay Vista." They were trying to sell me an eoy in gold season for bay vista 2 bed for nearly 22K. NO THANKS!

Thanks to tug I know to buy resale!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Starwood contacted me yesteday to try and get me to buy through them. "Pricing will go up for everything Jan 1st. for hillside and Bay Vista." They were trying to sell me an eoy in gold season for bay vista 2 bed for nearly 22K. NO THANKS!

Thanks to tug I know to buy resale!

If by 'Pricing' they mean 'StarOptions' are going up in 2015 for VGV and BV - then that is correct. Perhaps the increase in SOs will affect purchase price. Wait until BV starts hitting the resale market...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Out of curiosity, and not that I'm complaining, I'm wondering why there's a March due date on my MF for BV?

Due Date 03/02/2014
Prior Balance Due
View Prior Year Balance Detail $ 0.00
Current Year Charges
Maintenance Fee(s) $ 2,130.08
Tax - If Applicable $ 256.34
Membership Fee - If Applicable

Because they were not ready (?) - this happened 1 year for VGV (hopefully the same outcome will not occur - VGV MFs skyrocketed the following years)

You have a tax that is charged separately from the BV MFs? Is this correct and the tax is $256?

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because they were not ready (?) - this happened 1 year for VGV (hopefully the same outcome will not occur - VGV MFs skyrocketed the following years)

You have a tax that is charged separately from the BV MFs? Is this correct and the tax is $256?

From what I can tell, yes. When we bought I knew the total MF (inclusive of tax) was about $2300 for a 3br, so this makes sense to me.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

A great deal...? That is relative. A reasonable deal for someone looking for week 1 in a 1Bd (remember the check-in day is fixed - as well as the week). Do not buy this with the intent of exchanging for another week in the same season. Buy the week you want to use (incl check-in day).

I am not so sure week 1 isn't a popular week - as it appears most weeks in the Plat+ season are popular. One upside is that the SOs for this VOI are going up next year (81K to 95.7K SOs) and the Owner may not be aware. The MFs are still high - but the SO allotment gives some more flexibility. Also, there is more of a rental demand in Plat+ season (snowbirds). For us - Plat+ season is not desirable - too crowded, and north shore is not as calm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.