• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
[ We just cancelled our Westin 2BR Villa ressie and just booked a 3BR villa on VRBO for our five night trip on 11/3. With two kids in tow, not having the pool, pool area, kids club, etc. it was a no brainer for me to cancel.

Disappointed but happy we were able to find another rental. VRBO is a great resource for finding last minute rentals in a pinch. We will be staying in the Grande Bay condos in Cruz Bay...not far from the Westin.

Downside is we were using Starwood points for our stay...now we are shelling out $2K for the five nights. :(

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
[ We just cancelled our Westin 2BR Villa ressie and just booked a 3BR villa on VRBO for our five night trip on 11/3. With two kids in tow, not having the pool, pool area, kids club, etc. it was a no brainer for me to cancel.

Disappointed but happy we were able to find another rental. VRBO is a great resource for finding last minute rentals in a pinch. We will be staying in the Grande Bay condos in Cruz Bay...not far from the Westin.

Downside is we were using Starwood points for our stay...now we are shelling out $2K for the five nights. :(

Hi Marc - let us know what you think about the Grande Bay condos after your stay (they have some STJ controversy...) - Beach Bar is right down street. Too bad VRBO costs so much to rent as a 1 week TS owner - we used VRBO for our recent Milan stay - enjoy

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just A Few Quick Questions...

I just got back from an owners update at SVV. We did not buy anything from them this time (own 2 developer weeks already--Harborside and SVV; I feel I have been drained of enough money) but always wanted to own at St. John. Please note that my husband Bill (this is the Anita part posting of Anita and Bill today) would love to get to 5* elite eventually. Personally I have better things to do with that money, but whatever. They kept pushing us to buy additional units at SVV eventhough we weren't interested in buying there as we already own a unit. I kept asking about St. John and got nowhere. (It might be because my husband kept bringing up Tug and they refused to talk about requalifying a unit and how the procedures stand now since he was looking at purchasing on ebay to requalify to count towards gaining 5*elite status). I am not sure if they could sell us St. John at SVV (thus they did not discuss it) but my point of posting is as such:

1. What is the going rate for a summer EOY week at St. John from Starwood as an EOY works for me? (I am going to compare resale prices, but just wanted to know. If the difference isn't much, and they have a week I want, would have to really consider buying from Starwood again although it probably would kill me to do so.
2. Has the tax issue been resolved?
3. When does the special assessment end? (Please note that we can afford the high MF so not really an issue per se, just wondering).

My reason for purchasing St. John is to go there. Don't really care about the requalifying part as much to tell you the truth. I would rather own where i want to go rather than get to 5*. (Have to convince the Hubby though). I spent many summers traveling to different carribbean islands when I was younger with my family and I love it. Bill and I have lived overseas, traveled extensively and can't be bothered to call to trade using staroptions. Our SVV we use mostly to trade so this was an expensive learning lesson.

I apologize if these questions have been answered before, but I tried searching and it is a long thread. Thank you in advance for your answers and suggestions (even if all you can say is that we are crazy to do so).:)

Thanks again,
Anita

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an offer about a month ago to puchase a regular EOY 2-BR summer week in Bay Vista (new phase - voluntary - float week) for about $18K or a late spring (adjacent to a week we already own) EOY pool villa for $23.5K. These are round numbers from memory.

I don't think the tax issue is truly resolved. They agreed on an amount owed for one of the past years ... But I think they're still working on several other past due years. I don't believe there will be a big impact on Bay Vista as I think Starwood is collecting an approximate amount each year. Also, if you buy a phase one from Starwood, I don't think you're responsible for back taxes prior to your ownership. Is it a potential issue? Yes, but probably not a big one in the overall scheme of things.

The bulk of the special assessment for phase one was scheduled to be paid in 2011 with a very small deferral into 2012 (less than $100 I think). However, we've received no communication regarding possible expenses associated with the clean-up of the recent storm.

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Jerseygirl,

Thanks so much for your response. Those numbers fit in quite nicely with my plans if I have to buy directly from Starwood versus a resale. I have heard stories about the recent storm damage. Hopefully everything will be fixed and back to normal soon. Owning in the carribbean is not for the faint of heart.

Regards,
Anita

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. I will send you a PM with the name of a sales rep who you can deal with remotely.

I'm sure you know this, but if you're thinking about a retro, you should have the resale purchase done prior to buying the developer week. I think I remember someone posting on TUG about a "in the works" resale that was able to be retro'd after the fact as part of the contract, but I wouldn't want things with Starwood to be any more complicated than they need to be!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
re: Property Tax - just paid 2006 and 2007 will be due soon - these at at 1998 rates. When they go up - expect them to double.

re: Special Assessment... I am sure someone will chime in here with the argument that this wasn't really a SA - just an increase in the Replacement Reserves for a 3 year period - which is semantics since the bottom-line affects Owners in the same way (unless they want to persue legal action - then the definition matters - IMO this would fail - and it is time to move on - IMO)... regardless, the 'SA' ends with the 2011 MF (the one coming up). However, for Hillside (Virgin Grand) there appears to be an issue with the roofs/sidings - I was under the impression was being covered in the 'SA' while reports are that they were not - I would love to get clarification on this.

The SOs for an EOY summer villa will not come with significant SOs towards 5* (also a waste of time IMO... ok, ok - for 99.9% of people...).

I agree - buy where and when you want to go (and buy resale) - if you buy Hillside (Virgin Grand) - this is essentially a fixed week. If you need a float week - then you will need to buy Bay Visa.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
jerseygirl, ... "you should have the resale purchase done prior to buying the developer week. I think I remember someone posting on TUG about a "in the works" resale that was able to be retro'd after the fact as part of the contract"

I have a sale "pending" with Starwood where I was told late last month not to sign the Term Sheet because I did not have a recorded deed for the "to be retroed" week to give to Starwood. Starwood policy is not to extend the time to back out of the deal even one day to "finalize" the developer purchase by completing the retro.

I also think that some of the delay people are experiencing with Starwood Title is that they fax a copy of a contract and/or an unrecorded deed to Jose Pagan. Jose merely puts the contracts and unrecorded deeds to the side and waits for the recorded copy of the deed to arrive from the closing agent. Thus, the wait time is perceived to be even longer than it is.

However, no recorded deed means no action to change the resort's records concerning the owner. Nonetheless, the waiting time has increased by multiples of time because of all the new owners caused by foreclosures due to economic conditions and, I'm sure, a constriction in Jose's office work force.

Starwood has been notified that my "pending" Riverfront ski week developer purchase is linked to a retro of a Platinum non-developer purchase at WMH but has not reacted yet. Sometimes you just have to wait. ... eom

CAK1

TUG Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

[Advertising deleted - please consider using the TUG Marketplace - DeniseM]

Last edited by a moderator:

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks David and Robin, Jerserygirl and Jarta for your comments and suggestions. I will keep them in mind as I pursue my purchase. I understand that an EOY doesn't give many staroptions, but I truly am interested in buying St. John for pleasure. I am not sure if I want a fixed or float yet, so for now I am considering both options. Whether we get to 5* with buying and retroing more units in the future remains to be seen. We travel a bit and have no problem with staying in hotels as we are constantly on the move, so Bill's dream might have to sit awhile as I don't necessarily want to only be tied to Starwood and timeshares.

As my life and vacations usually revolve around what everyone else likes to do, this purchase would truly be a "mommy" purchase. The best part though is that I am sure my family would love it. God....am I sounding like a Starwood commercial or what? I guess I sat too long in the owners update and had too much to drink of their kool-aid. But I have to admit, the timeshare bug has bit hard and I can't wait for my next vacation.

Thanks for all your insight, comments and well wishes. Happy travels!
Anita

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Carrie - surprised DeniseM didnt chime in - but I do not think you can offer TSs for sale on this forum... just saying
Go Giants!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WSJ-VG Owners - please be aware that HOA docs (etc) are now being listed on MyStarCentral (MSC) under 'Your Association Association'.

Importantly - an updated version of the CCRs/Owners Manual (large), approved budget, and audit of budget. Unfortunately, the long letter drafted by HOA BOD Owner-members Phil and Bob are not included. What is pathetic are the minutes from BOD meetings (little to no info) - hopefully that will change...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Carrie - surprised DeniseM didnt chime in - but I do not think you can offer TSs for sale on this forum... just saying
Go Giants!

Oooppsss...missed that one. ;)

GeneNWendy

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Letter from Bob and Phil

WSJ-VG Owners - please be aware that HOA docs (etc) are now being listed on MyStarCentral (MSC) under 'Your Association Association'.

Importantly - an updated version of the CCRs/Owners Manual (large), approved budget, and audit of budget. Unfortunately, the long letter drafted by HOA BOD Owner-members Phil and Bob are not included. What is pathetic are the minutes from BOD meetings (little to no info) - hopefully that will change...

Are you referring to the letter Bob and Phil sent out in early October? If so, I can provide a link to that.

Gene

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Gene - Yes, that letter - if you could provide a link that would be great. I tend to keep my files electronically as paper copies get buried. I hope all is well. - David

Robin&Mark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Property Update?

Morning everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone has actually been on the property this week? We understand there has been a lot of rain again, pool filled with muddy water, again. With our upcoming trip trying to be prepared for what we may encounter. I know some had written previously they would be there about now. Any information anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Prepare for mosquitoes that come after rains.
I do not know about the latest status of the pool - you can call the front desk at WSJ and ask. It was cleaned, but they screwed up by not flushing the system - and then got flooded again from very heavy rain due to a Tomas rain-band.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WSJ-VG HOA BOD Email - Re: Hurricane damage reserve

Dear Fellow Virgin Grand Villa Owner:

At the November 4 meeting, the Board of Directors approved the proposed budget that was sent to you about a month ago. So maintenance fees for 2011 will be 6.7% lower than those for 2010, and you will notice many improvements in the resort over the next year.

But as you may know, a tropical depression that later was designated Tropical Storm Otto hit the island and caused a large amount of damage to the resort. For weeks, the big pool was closed, most of the restaurants couldn’t operate, there was significant landscape damage, and some of the villa units were damaged by water coming through the doors and windows (repairs to the damage are underway and the resort is almost back to normal). We were very lucky, because insurance will cover the vast majority of the expense. If the storm had been designated by the National Hurricane Center as a named tropical storm before it hit St. John, the insurance policy’s deductible of 5% of the value of the property – more than a million and a half dollars – would have applied, and we would have been responsible for making up a significant fraction of that cost.

We think this storm was an important warning signal to us owners. Although we are reluctant to recommend an increase in future maintenance charges by creating additional reserves, we suggested in our last letter to you that starting a reserve fund to cover the insurance deductible for storm damage seemed prudent. We now believe that more strongly than ever. The 2011 budget does not include a set-aside for such a reserve, but we think that it would be prudent to create a dedicated reserve fund for this purpose. We plan to propose initiating the fund in the 2012 budget, though it will be many years before the fund is large enough to protect us from having to pay, in a short time, to make repairs after a catastrophic future hurricane.

We’ll contact you again after the next Board meeting in February.

Philip Schrag
phil.schrag@gmail.com

Bob Werbel
robert.werbel@yahoo.com

Last edited:

Robin&Mark

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I may ask a question how do you get on the email list? I am assuming it is for all villa owners, and would like to receive these emails.
Thank you,

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If I may ask a question how do you get on the email list? I am assuming it is for all villa owners, and would like to receive these emails.
Thank you,

{added} Robin&Mark - you posted back in Sept about this- did you not send in your response letter?

A few months ago - a mailing (snail mail) was sent out from SVO to WSJ-VG Owners asking them if they wanted to be included in a email database of VG Owners - and if so to respond (via snail mail) with your info. I am not sure if this email was under that owner communication or not - but assume it is since it was signed by Phil and Bob. It would have been nice to send this request for inclusion in the VG Owners-Group by email as well since SVO home addresses are not necessarily up-to-date (my week 23 info is still sent to previous owners).

I would email Bob/Phil asking how you can be included - or perhaps respond to the sender of the email (?). The email came from:
"SVO Management Incorporated" svomanagement@svomanagementinc.com

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Morning everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone has actually been on the property this week? We understand there has been a lot of rain again, pool filled with muddy water, again. With our upcoming trip trying to be prepared for what we may encounter. I know some had written previously they would be there about now. Any information anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

from WSJ website...

Improvements to the Grounds - Now through December 10, 2010
From September 2 until December 10, 2010, the resort will be updating its infrastructure. This work may temporarily affect the pristine aesthetics of the landscaping throughout the resort's main common area. The tennis courts are closed and are scheduled to reopen December 6, 2010. There is also a possibility of minor noise disruption between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Saturday. We would like to reassure our loyal guests that the resort team is fully committed to minimizing any noise.

Limited Services Due to Inclement Weather
The Westin St. John Resort & Villas sustained damage due to heavy overnight rain and flooding in the early morning hours of November 8th. The resort is open and is under limited services while the resort team works quickly to return to normal operations.
A brief update:

- Snorkel's Bar & Grill is scheduled to reopen Saturday, November 13.
- Our Beach and Pool are scheduled to reopen Saturday, November 13.
- Our complimentary beach shuttle service to a select few National Park Beaches will continue until November 18, 2010.
- Beach Café Restaurant is scheduled to reopen Sunday, November 14.
- Cruz Bay Prime is scheduled to reopen Wednesday, November 17th with their fine dining menu.
- The Kids Club & Arcade are anticipated to reopen November 22, 2010.
- During this time our Activities Department is providing babysitting service and activities for all ages around the resort.
- The tennis courts are closed and are scheduled to reopen December 6, 2010.
- Based on the recent events the resort will continue to waive the Resort Charge until November 18th. The resort will waive all cancellation fees or no show charges until November 14th.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

Robin&Mark

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did send the response letter and not heard if it was received, which obviously it was not since we did not get the information being discussed here. I will email Bob / Phil and ask to be placed on the mailing list. I appreciate having their email addresses.

The reason for my other post is today I had a call with Owner Services about our upcoming stay and asked about the recent rain, they kindly connected me with someone from a dedicated team, who receives information from the executive offices at the resort and I was told everything was operational and open. I also had a conversation with a concierge who told me the pool is open but the beach is closed currently and the hope it will reopen either the end of November of the beginning of December, which is why I was asking if anyone was there now who could give me an update. I appreciate you posting what is on the website David and Robin, I had read that too, but when I got the conflicting information I was hoping someone would be able to give me an update from being there.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.