• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s been a while since we have visited WSJ. We have a 3 bedroom Virgin Grand villa. We have friends that will be renting a house at the same time we will be on the island. Is there any problem with them coming to visit with us at our villa? In the past there hasn’t always been someone manning the entry to the Virgin Grand villas, but not sure if that has changed. Since we will have our own pool and it’s more private I wasn’t sure if this would be a big deal or frowned upon. Thanks!
As long as you plus your guests wouldn’t exceed the room capacity you are fine.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
As long as you plus your guests wouldn’t exceed the room capacity you are fine.
...and you will need to get them a room key to get through the gate (or go meet them and bring them in).

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
...and you will need to get them a room key to get through the gate (or go meet them and bring them in).
In my experience gate is only enforced in high season but you could always meet them at the gate too

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
It’s been a while since we have visited WSJ. We have a 3 bedroom Virgin Grand villa. We have friends that will be renting a house at the same time we will be on the island. Is there any problem with them coming to visit with us at our villa? In the past there hasn’t always been someone manning the entry to the Virgin Grand villas, but not sure if that has changed. Since we will have our own pool and it’s more private I wasn’t sure if this would be a big deal or frowned upon. Thanks!
I don't see why you couldn't have guests at your villa. We get an extra room key to leave in our vehicle just for the convenience of opening the gate. You could do the same. ;)

Scotten

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stayed at WSJ earlier this month in the Virgin Grand 3 Bedroom Villa and it was lovely. Can anyone here explain this setup on the second floor in bedrooms 2 and 3? It doesn't show on the maps online, but this is the "wall" that separates these two "rooms" (it's an accordion-type wall that slides away.

I understand the function of this, but each bedroom has 1) a king-sized (IE adult) bed and 2) individual thermostats. In all our timeshare experiences, we've never come across something this bizarre.

IMG_6511.jpg

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Stayed at WSJ earlier this month in the Virgin Grand 3 Bedroom Villa and it was lovely. Can anyone here explain this setup on the second floor in bedrooms 2 and 3? It doesn't show on the maps online, but this is the "wall" that separates these two "rooms" (it's an accordion-type wall that slides away.

I understand the function of this, but each bedroom has 1) a king-sized (IE adult) bed and 2) individual thermostats. In all our timeshare experiences, we've never come across something this bizarre.

View attachment 70531
It sucks, but it definitely shows up on the old papers if you know where to look. That's why everyone avoids bldg 41 and 42 when possible, especially for purchasing resale. It is supposedly finally being replaced with real walls this year during refurbishment according to the newsletter.
I think the original thought was grandma and grandpa who owned the unit would be downstairs while their adult children and their grandchildren would occupy upstairs and enjoy the bs wall as a sort of family co-sleeping arrangement. What fun on vacation! (NOT!) I really can't think of any other scenario why someone would want that bs wall.

whitedoor

Reaction score
Anyone know how bad the noise will be from the upcoming construction on the Sunset Bay buildings?
We have a 4 night stay coming up Jan 8 and are in buildings 21 & 31 and are debating whether to cancel and pivot to a different location.
The resort is offering shuttle service to Trunk Bay to compensate.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks!

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin: Mission Hills, Desert Willow, Riverfront Mtn Villas, Kierland, Flex
Marriott: Grande Ocean, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs
Hyatt: Beach House, Coconut Plantation, High Sierra Lodge,
Four Seasons: Aviara, Scottsdale.
Royal Haciendas
We have a reservation at WSJ in January as well - staying in Coral Vista. We also contemplated canceling and going elsewhere. We were told that construction is from 10:00 am - 4:00pm. I don't know for sure but am assuming it is M-F. We love WSJ and haven't visited for a few years (January 2020). We decided to keep our reservation - realizing the pool will likely be pretty much unusable but the we will go to the beaches on the north shore and over the weekend (and pre or post construction hours) we hope to make use of the beach at the resort.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Just received the Sunset Bay annual meeting notice. Anyone specific we should be voting for that’s pro-owner?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
We have a reservation at WSJ in January as well - staying in Coral Vista. We also contemplated canceling and going elsewhere. We were told that construction is from 10:00 am - 4:00pm. I don't know for sure but am assuming it is M-F. We love WSJ and haven't visited for a few years (January 2020). We decided to keep our reservation - realizing the pool will likely be pretty much unusable but the we will go to the beaches on the north shore and over the weekend (and pre or post construction hours) we hope to make use of the beach at the resort.
@steve1000 I have seen posts on Facebook that state the noise has been minimal and they are doing one building at a time.
Free shuttle to Trunk Bay.
Please let us know your experience when you are there.

Crasherino

Reaction score
@steve1000 I have seen posts on Facebook that state the noise has been minimal and they are doing one building at a time.
Free shuttle to Trunk Bay.
Please let us know your experience when you are there.
Glad to hear that. We will be there over President's Week and was kinda bummed to hear this. We typically don't use the pool/resort beach during the day but like to come back from the beach to relax in pool in the later in the afternoon. I'm hoping they cut off construction by 3:30-4pm.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I
Glad to hear that. We will be there over President's Week and was kinda bummed to hear this. We typically don't use the pool/resort beach during the day but like to come back from the beach to relax in pool in the later in the afternoon. I'm hoping they cut off construction by 3:30-4pm.
In the welcome email it says 10-4

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some posts from Facebook group.

"I’ve been here since Jan 14th. Only building 16 being worked on since they started work, 1 building at a time. Vistana overestimated the noise impact when they sent letters out in December. However, sitting on the beach or in the pool area next to building 16, it is very noise from sawing and hammering. We just sit far away from the construction. Pool and beach are crowded just as always in the past."

"Barely heard anything at the pool, next to the building they are working on. One area I’d sidewalk is blocked so you cross on grass"

"Noise not really an issue, take advantage of the complimentary taxi rides to and from trunk" bay

"I have been here all week. I never heard any construction noise by the pool or beach. I just walked by there now and one building is closed off with a fence and a tarp. Someone is occasionally drilling but you have to be right by the building to hear anything."

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
We own Sunset Bay homeoptions. Love WSJ. We are looking to reserve a 3 bedroom 12 months out from today. There are plenty of 2 bedrooms and studios available, but not 3 bedrooms, which are essentially the two linked together. Trying to find out why I can't reserve a 3 bedroom but I can reserve both a studio and 2 bedroom together. We have plenty of home options to reserve the time we are seeking so that isn't the issue. Any insight?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We own Sunset Bay homeoptions. Love WSJ. We are looking to reserve a 3 bedroom 12 months out from today. There are plenty of 2 bedrooms and studios available, but not 3 bedrooms, which are essentially the two linked together. Trying to find out why I can't reserve a 3 bedroom but I can reserve both a studio and 2 bedroom together. We have plenty of home options to reserve the time we are seeking so that isn't the issue. Any insight?
I tried to do the same for early November 2024 at 12 months out at Coral Vista for a Sunday check in. I had been looking online frequently for available.
The latest date I could get the combo was in early September so yes, I ended up booking a studio and 2 BR instead.
Frustrating and no reason why not.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I tried to do the same for early November 2024 at 12 months out at Coral Vista for a Sunday check in. I had been looking online frequently for available.
The latest date I could get the combo was in early September so yes, I ended up booking a studio and 2 BR instead.
Frustrating and no reason why not.
Not sure why they don't just show availability for 3 bedroom. I put in the correct number of guests.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
Does Coral Vista and Sunset Bay have 3 bedrooms? I thought it was only 2 bedrooms and studios.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does Coral Vista and Sunset Bay have 3 bedrooms? I thought it was only 2 bedrooms and studios.
duplicate

i have reserved a 3BR the past two years but could not get for this year (2023)

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
duplicate

i have reserved a 3BR the past two years but could not get for this year (2023)
So now it makes me wonder what is going on here? Is this a case of Vistana/MVC manipulating inventory and for what purpose?

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
So now it makes me wonder what is going on here? Is this a case of Vistana/MVC manipulating inventory and for what purpose?
Well the past two years have been Covid. Anyone reserved a 3 bedroom prior to that? At least now I know there is one.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well the past two years have been Covid. Anyone reserved a 3 bedroom prior to that? At least now I know there is one.
What phase of WSJ do you own in?
it is really only available to Sunset Bay and Coral Vista owners At 12 months.
i am surprised if you owns these two phases that you don’t know about it unless you don’t own enough options to do it.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
What phase of WSJ do you own in?
it is really only available to Sunset Bay and Coral Vista owners At 12 months.
i am surprised if you owns these two phases that you don’t know about it unless you don’t own enough options to do it.
I own sunset bay and go there in the studio for 15 days. Also owned coral vista but not anymore. Only ever used the 2 bedroom so was not aware there was a 3 bedroom option and never searched for it.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own in Sunset Bay and have plenty of options for a 3 bedroom at 12 months. It’s just not available at all