• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

HankW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SVV, WLR
Update - still no information on our purchase. Both the seller and myself have tried to get information but we are striking out - I emailed the realtor that assisted us, we'll see if she can help. I think I am a patient person, but my patience is running thin.....anyone have any ideas (timeline - 10/21 purchased, 11/27 closing all final monies paid, 12/11 agreement to assign membership completed).

You may have already discussed this, but did you get a copy of the deed and the Vistana transfer documentation?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Wow, looks like I can go to the VGV board meeting on Monday March 1st and the BV board meeting on Wednesday March 3rd during my stay. Maybe I can get the concierge to schedule my OU on Tuesday!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Flexible Cancellation
In response to changing marketplace conditions, Marriott International is committed to ensuring our customers experience flexibility during these challenging times

For all Marriott International hotels worldwide, we are extending our flexible reservation policies as follows:
  • In general, for guests with existing reservations made before July 6, 2020, for any future arrival date, the policies that were in place at the time of reservation, or as previously communicated, will continue to be honored.
  • For guests with reservations made on or after July 6, 2020, for arrival dates through March 31, 2021, we will allow the reservation to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before the scheduled arrival date. Reservations with pre-paid rates and other limited exclusions* will be subject to the rate offer rules communicated at the time of reservation. Please note that changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
  • For guests making new reservations for arrival dates on or after April 1, 2021, individual hotel cancellation policies in place at the time of reservation will apply.
  • Please note that this policy does not apply to travel associated with a Group booking. For guests with Group reservations (e.g., for meetings, events or conferences), please review the booking rate rules and contact the group organizer for more information.
    Guests who booked via online travel agents or other third-party travel professionals are advised to contact their booking provider directly for further information.

I know this email I just received refers to "hotels worldwide" but I received this email with an invitation to book at the Westin St John. So nice of them to allow everyone but actual owners to cancel up until 24 hours prior to arrival. I was able to use my ownership last year, but so many had to cancel through no fault of their own and received restricted options in return.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
You may have already discussed this, but did you get a copy of the deed and the Vistana transfer documentation?
I am not @DST but we chatted. Her recorded documents ( transfer paperwork from title company) was not sent/mailed to Vistana until 1/5/21. Expected turn around time is 30-45 business days. Sooooo, likely to hear something as they are at about 25-ish days.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I know this email I just received refers to "hotels worldwide" but I received this email with an invitation to book at the Westin St John. So nice of them to allow everyone but actual owners to cancel up until 24 hours prior to arrival. I was able to use my ownership last year, but so many had to cancel through no fault of their own and received restricted options in return.

I agree, I had a bunch of restricted options from having our WSJ visit cancel. It wasn’t anything that we could have prevented as we were within 60 days when the pandemic hit. I’m still salty over it. If I had made a conscious choice in making a reservation during a pandemic then I think it’s up to me to assess my risk. But in my WSJ reservation I had absolutely no control. (We were set to arrive May 1st)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DST

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Bay - STJ
Morning - Sorry have been busy at work and traveling.....

So here is our update - happy to say that on Friday the previous owner got notification, I have not heard anything officially yet but went on our Visatana page (we created it a bit ago) and when I logged in we are in! I used the contract number, that does not change, but we do not have the certificate number or any paperwork.

This was certainly a learning process, there are things we would have done differently but the owners we purchased from were really kind. They booked a reservation for this year in August, we were told that would transfer over but it not showing in our account and of course Vistana is closed on weekends. I tried to make a reservation but I keep getting an error message.

In all this took about 4 months from beginning to end, some say that is good, some say too long - I am just happy to have to complete :)

Thanks for all the advice here and patience while I asked all sorts of silly questions - GrayFal, we shall meet one day on the Island

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
February 25, 2021

RE: Webcast of 2021 Annual Meeting of
Sunset Bay Vacation Owners Association

Dear Owner:

As a reminder, your Board of Managers approved a webcast for Owners to listen to the Annual Meeting and view the presentation to be held on March 1, 2021 at 2:00 p.m., Atlantic time. Click here to enter your name and email address and join the webcast.

Please be advised, joining the webcast does not constitute officially attending the Annual Meeting and voting is not available through webcast. However, you will have the opportunity to type in questions for the question and answer session following adjournment of the meeting.

A recording of the Annual Meeting will be available for 60 days through the weblink above.

If you have any questions regarding the Annual Meeting, please contact Eugene Martin, General Manager, by email at Eugene.Martin2@vacationclub.com or by phone at 340-714-6094.

Sincerely,

Board Managers of
Sunset Bay Vacation Owners Association

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

I was wrong on this one.
I am surprised that this fee was upheld - because this ‘Environment’ fee is the same whether a villa for 4 people or a villa for 10/12 people. This really sucks or those that own a studio.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I was wrong on this one.
I am surprised that this fee was upheld - because this ‘Environment’ fee is the same whether a villa for 4 people or a villa for 10/12 people. This really sucks or those that own a studio.

It really is total BS. We pay taxes on our units like the rest of the USVI.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Looks like the fee/tax was supposed to bring in $19 million a year but they have so far only collected $14 million in four years. As always, expenditures often cost more than expected and revenues always bring in less.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Looks like the fee/tax was supposed to bring in $19 million a year but they have so far only collected $14 million in four years. As always, expenditures often cost more than expected and revenues always bring in less.

I’m sure this money isn’t actually making its way to anything “environmental” or to where the locals benefit. Sounds like another money grab to help fatten the governor’s coffers. I can’t believe it was actually upheld. $25/day is quite stuff....

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Are there really enough TS in the VI that it could possibly bring in $19 million/year? I wonder where that figure came from? (Granted a large portion of the 4 years was lost to IrMaria & CV19.)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gatorfan

Reaction score
Are there really enough TS in the VI that it could possibly bring in $19 million/year? I wonder where that figure came from? (Granted a large portion of the 4 years was lost to IrMaria & CV19.)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Just doing the math (not my strong suit) you'd need over 2080 units rented 365 days a year at $25 per day to reach $19 million. I guess its conceivable across the three main islands. What's the Westin have, 225 or so? St. Thomas has multiple TS resorts (Frenchman's Reef, Bluebeard's, etc). Not sure about St. Croix.

Regardless, it's still a lousy way to double tax owners on the properties. The 7 nights of fees comes out over $20 higher than our annual property tax.

dherring

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Disney's Grand Floridian, HGVC Anderson Ocean Club, Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas
I am considering a purchase at the WSJ Virgin Grand Villas, does someone have a copy of the by-law, CC&R, HOA Doctrine and Rules &Regulations they can share with me?

[Post and reply moved.] <--SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am considering a purchase at the WSJ Virgin Grand Villas, does someone have a copy of the by-law, CC&R, HOA Doctrine and Rules &Regulations they can share with me?

You are posting in a thread that is 5 years old. You should post this question in the WSJ Thread.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The Westin St. John Resort Villas - March 2021 Report to Owners

March 2021

Dear Fellow Member of the Virgin Grand Villas Condominium Owners Association,

As your owner-elected members of the Board, we recently participated virtually in the March 2021 Annual Meeting of the Association and the Board of Directors Meeting that followed.

New elected director

Larry Pelletier completed his term of service as an owner-elected member of the Board. We appreciate the time and effort that he contributed, particularly with regard to completion of the agreement between the Association and the management company described below. To replace him, you elected David Futransky, who recently completed 4 years of service on the Coral Vista VOA Board and has been an owner in Virgin Grand since 2002.

Remediation expenses

You will recall that after reconstruction work on the resort was done following Hurricane Irma, microbial contamination was discovered in several units, and that a substantial amount of work had to be done to remediate and repair those units. That work was completed and all units were able to be occupied by early 2020. There was dialogue about whether the Association or the management company were to bear the expense of the remediation and repair. As you know from prior communications, the management company agreed to shoulder the expense. The Association and the management company recently completed a formal confidential agreement to that effect. The terms of the agreement are confidential; however, the agreement is part of the Association’s records. Any requests for Association records which could include the agreement will require an owner to sign a confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement, obligating the owner not to share this Association record with any other individual. As an owner, you may obtain a copy of the agreement by sending a request by email to experiences@vacationclub.com.

Resort update

A copy of the annual meeting presentation given by General Manager Eugene Martin and a summary of the questions and answers session is available in the association information section of the vistana.com website. A recording of the annual meeting and the questions and answers session from members is available through April 2021. Here are some highlights:

Despite the pandemic, occupancy rates are high. Based on reservations, the resort will be at about 90% capacity this spring, and more than 2/3 of that occupancy will be by owners rather than renters.
Eugene’s team has been extraordinarily diligent with their heightened cleaning procedures to help owners, guests and staff stay healthy. Precautions at the resort include social distancing requirements, only carry-out meals from Snorkels, the use of medical-grade disinfectants, the cancellation of mid-week cleaning of units but linens can be requested and delivered to your unit, upgraded HVAC filtering, hand sanitation stations, and the requirement that guests and staff wear masks when in indoor public areas such as the lobby, the deli, and the fitness center. The spa and spa services are temporarily closed, as is our Freecycle Shed, but beach chairs will be delivered to units on request. The shuttle is running, but it takes only one family at a time to reduce possible exposures. If another family needs the shuttle, a second shuttle is called. Please note that the Virgin Island government is also concerned to minimize health risks; owners should visit the USVI travel screening portal at usvitravelportal.com before flying to the Virgin Islands for up-to-date travel information. As a result of these precautions, there have been no reports of any guests contracting COVID while staying at the resort.
The Westin Ferry also observes precautions related to the pandemic, including distanced seating, a mask requirement, and frequent disinfection.
The pandemic slowed down negotiations for an operator of the Lemongrass restaurant. But they have resumed, and the General Manager hopes that it will be open by the summer of 2021.
Road through Virgin Grand

At the 2020 Annual Meeting, Marriott Vacations Worldwide (“MVW”) informed the Board of Directors that Westin St. John Hotel Company, Inc., the developer, owns property up the hill from Virgin Grand that it desires to sell, on which up to four single-family residential dwellings could be built. However, MVW reported that the only current road access to that property for the new owners (and construction companies that would build the houses and provide for utility connections) is the road through Virgin Grand. The owner-elected directors have received opposition from some Association members to the increased traffic during construction and afterward, and we suggested that the road could instead go around the Westin St. John by extending the road that presently goes to the East Chocolate Hole development. The President of the East Chocolate Hole Landowners Association, Kevyn Salsburg, who is also a Virgin Grand owner, welcomed that proposal and noted that under existing covenants, the new owners of the property would become members of that association. MVW is currently investigating the feasibility of that alternate route. MVW has hired an outside company to see whether the terrain is suitable for a road extension through the East Chocolate Hole development, and that company will consult with Ms. Salsburg and Ted Miazga, another Virgin Grand owner, both of whom live on the island and have considerable relevant expertise.

Reselling units to the developer

Some owners who have become unable to use the resort (or any of the resorts available by exchange) have asked that MVW initiate a plan to repurchase units from them. MVW has to date declined to create such a plan, but it is maintaining a list of people who want to resell their units to the developer. In addition, they are willing to discuss personal circumstances with any owner. To get on the list or discuss your personal situation, call the resale department in Orlando at 866-682-4547, Monday through Friday or email Resale.Operations@mvwc.com.

Responses to owner questions

In response to questions that might be of general interest to owners, the management company provided this information:

Thirteen units in buildings 41 and 42 have sliding dividers rather than a wall between the two bedrooms on the second floor. We know from past surveys that the vast majority of the owners of those units would prefer a wall with a door, rather than sliding panels. The General Manager is taking a new look into whether that change could be made during the next renovation and whether the governing documents will allow it.
No financial credit is being allowed for weeks that were unused during the pandemic but restricted options have been awarded to owners who could not travel.
Zozo’s is reopening in the main building on the beach at Caneel Bay, but otherwise no reconstruction of that resort has commenced, and none is contemplated at the present time. Many other restaurants on the island are open but with limited seating because of social distancing.
Larger patio tables have been ordered for the pool villas and will be in place as soon as they can safely be shipped to the resort.
An owner has set up a listserv through which owners can communicate with each other. Owners can join by emailing virgingrandvillas@gmail.com. This site is not affiliated with the management company or the Association. If you supply your email address to this site, it will be shared with others who do so.
We ourselves have not been to the island since the pandemic began. But we hope to return in 2021 and hope to see many of you there.

David Futransky
david.virgingrand@gmail.com
Philip Schrag
phil.schrag@gmail.com

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

[Post and reply moved.] I]

Now that you are in the correct location...

I do have a paper copy of the VGV CCRs (quite old) - not sure how it would help you?
What is your question regarding VGV Ownership that would help in your decision?
Properties are deeded - fixed week (w/fixed checkin day) and fixed villas.
Booking can be done from ~18 months to 10 months. at 10-8 months out you can attempt to move reservation within your season and villa type.
BonVoy points (formerly StarPoints) do not transfer upon resale.
Not worth it anyway...

I think the more relevant questions would revolve around VSN (Vistana Signature Network) that is common for all VSN resorts. The critical 8 month point for using StarOptions to reserve within VSN including the other WSJ phases.
This document goes into how VGV ownership is linked to VSN through the StarOptions associated with the specific villa.
This is a common document that should be easy to obtain.

Do you have specific questions that Owners here can help with?

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Westin St. John Resort Villas - March 2021 Report to Owners

March 2021

Dear Fellow Member of the Virgin Grand Villas Condominium Owners Association,

As your owner-elected members of the Board, we recently participated virtually in the March 2021 Annual Meeting of the Association and the Board of Directors Meeting that followed.

New elected director

Larry Pelletier completed his term of service as an owner-elected member of the Board. We appreciate the time and effort that he contributed, particularly with regard to completion of the agreement between the Association and the management company described below. To replace him, you elected David Futransky, who recently completed 4 years of service on the Coral Vista VOA Board and has been an owner in Virgin Grand since 2002.

Remediation expenses

You will recall that after reconstruction work on the resort was done following Hurricane Irma, microbial contamination was discovered in several units, and that a substantial amount of work had to be done to remediate and repair those units. That work was completed and all units were able to be occupied by early 2020. There was dialogue about whether the Association or the management company were to bear the expense of the remediation and repair. As you know from prior communications, the management company agreed to shoulder the expense. The Association and the management company recently completed a formal confidential agreement to that effect. The terms of the agreement are confidential; however, the agreement is part of the Association’s records. Any requests for Association records which could include the agreement will require an owner to sign a confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement, obligating the owner not to share this Association record with any other individual. As an owner, you may obtain a copy of the agreement by sending a request by email to experiences@vacationclub.com.

Resort update

A copy of the annual meeting presentation given by General Manager Eugene Martin and a summary of the questions and answers session is available in the association information section of the vistana.com website. A recording of the annual meeting and the questions and answers session from members is available through April 2021. Here are some highlights:

Despite the pandemic, occupancy rates are high. Based on reservations, the resort will be at about 90% capacity this spring, and more than 2/3 of that occupancy will be by owners rather than renters.
Eugene’s team has been extraordinarily diligent with their heightened cleaning procedures to help owners, guests and staff stay healthy. Precautions at the resort include social distancing requirements, only carry-out meals from Snorkels, the use of medical-grade disinfectants, the cancellation of mid-week cleaning of units but linens can be requested and delivered to your unit, upgraded HVAC filtering, hand sanitation stations, and the requirement that guests and staff wear masks when in indoor public areas such as the lobby, the deli, and the fitness center. The spa and spa services are temporarily closed, as is our Freecycle Shed, but beach chairs will be delivered to units on request. The shuttle is running, but it takes only one family at a time to reduce possible exposures. If another family needs the shuttle, a second shuttle is called. Please note that the Virgin Island government is also concerned to minimize health risks; owners should visit the USVI travel screening portal at usvitravelportal.com before flying to the Virgin Islands for up-to-date travel information. As a result of these precautions, there have been no reports of any guests contracting COVID while staying at the resort.
The Westin Ferry also observes precautions related to the pandemic, including distanced seating, a mask requirement, and frequent disinfection.
The pandemic slowed down negotiations for an operator of the Lemongrass restaurant. But they have resumed, and the General Manager hopes that it will be open by the summer of 2021.
Road through Virgin Grand

At the 2020 Annual Meeting, Marriott Vacations Worldwide (“MVW”) informed the Board of Directors that Westin St. John Hotel Company, Inc., the developer, owns property up the hill from Virgin Grand that it desires to sell, on which up to four single-family residential dwellings could be built. However, MVW reported that the only current road access to that property for the new owners (and construction companies that would build the houses and provide for utility connections) is the road through Virgin Grand. The owner-elected directors have received opposition from some Association members to the increased traffic during construction and afterward, and we suggested that the road could instead go around the Westin St. John by extending the road that presently goes to the East Chocolate Hole development. The President of the East Chocolate Hole Landowners Association, Kevyn Salsburg, who is also a Virgin Grand owner, welcomed that proposal and noted that under existing covenants, the new owners of the property would become members of that association. MVW is currently investigating the feasibility of that alternate route. MVW has hired an outside company to see whether the terrain is suitable for a road extension through the East Chocolate Hole development, and that company will consult with Ms. Salsburg and Ted Miazga, another Virgin Grand owner, both of whom live on the island and have considerable relevant expertise.

Reselling units to the developer

Some owners who have become unable to use the resort (or any of the resorts available by exchange) have asked that MVW initiate a plan to repurchase units from them. MVW has to date declined to create such a plan, but it is maintaining a list of people who want to resell their units to the developer. In addition, they are willing to discuss personal circumstances with any owner. To get on the list or discuss your personal situation, call the resale department in Orlando at 866-682-4547, Monday through Friday or email Resale.Operations@mvwc.com.

Responses to owner questions

In response to questions that might be of general interest to owners, the management company provided this information:

Thirteen units in buildings 41 and 42 have sliding dividers rather than a wall between the two bedrooms on the second floor. We know from past surveys that the vast majority of the owners of those units would prefer a wall with a door, rather than sliding panels. The General Manager is taking a new look into whether that change could be made during the next renovation and whether the governing documents will allow it.
No financial credit is being allowed for weeks that were unused during the pandemic but restricted options have been awarded to owners who could not travel.
Zozo’s is reopening in the main building on the beach at Caneel Bay, but otherwise no reconstruction of that resort has commenced, and none is contemplated at the present time. Many other restaurants on the island are open but with limited seating because of social distancing.
Larger patio tables have been ordered for the pool villas and will be in place as soon as they can safely be shipped to the resort.
An owner has set up a listserv through which owners can communicate with each other. Owners can join by emailing virgingrandvillas@gmail.com. This site is not affiliated with the management company or the Association. If you supply your email address to this site, it will be shared with others who do so.
We ourselves have not been to the island since the pandemic began. But we hope to return in 2021 and hope to see many of you there.

David Futransky
david.virgingrand@gmail.com
Philip Schrag
phil.schrag@gmail.com

it would be nice if they could finally get those walls in on the older pool villa buildings - i specifically avoided those 2 buildings when buying mine.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
it would be nice if they could finally get those walls in on the older pool villa buildings - i specifically avoided those 2 buildings when buying mine.

The history (iirc) is that they needed 100% agreement, and couldn’t get into contact with all owners as their database sucks for VGV.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

[Post and reply moved.] <--SueDonJ
Now that you are in the correct location...

I do have a paper copy of the VGV CCRs (quite old) - not sure how it would help you?
What is your question regarding VGV Ownership that would help in your decision?
Properties are deeded - fixed week (w/fixed checkin day) and fixed villas.
Booking can be done from ~18 months to 10 months. at 10-8 months out you can attempt to move reservation within your season and villa type.
BonVoy points (formerly StarPoints) do not transfer upon resale.
Not worth it anyway...

I think the more relevant questions would revolve around VSN (Vistana Signature Network) that is common for all VSN resorts. The critical 8 month point for using StarOptions to reserve within VSN including the other WSJ phases.
This document goes into how VGV ownership is linked to VSN through the StarOptions associated with the specific villa.
This is a common document that should be easy to obtain.

Do you have specific questions that Owners here can help with?

Here's a link to a compressed pdf of the documents from the Vistana HOA site for WSJ. Couldn't attach the file itself as it is too big for the server settings on TUG.

dherring

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Disney's Grand Floridian, HGVC Anderson Ocean Club, Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas

Here's a link to a compressed pdf of the documents from the Vistana HOA site for WSJ. Couldn't attach the file itself as it is too big for the server settings on TUG.
thank you Eric!

DST

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Bay - STJ
Hey all - Its been sometime since I was able to post but wanted to circle back around on our experience with purchasing in Sunset Bay (we are still happy we did) We purchased privately, the process started October 21st (the seller had a realtor) with the signed agreement and escrow monies. we then signed "purchasers acknowledgement" (provided by Time Share Closing Group) on November 27th (paid the balance of the monies owed), we signed the "Agreement to Assign Membership" on December 11th, we received certificate number on March 26th (although it is dated March 5th) - this process was anything but smooth and if I had not continued to follow-up with the realtor and closing company, I am not sure we would have gotten this completed before March 26th. Every time we called, the typical response was "it will take about 2 weeks" - it was not until I said that our attorney would write a letter to help determine why this was taking so long, that it was completed and sent to us on march 26th.

The positive side of things was that the previous owner was very helpful and also paid the 2021 Maintenance fee. I have learned that the realtor/closing company should have collected that from us when we paid the final fees otherwise it would have held up the process longer. We will pay the previous owner directly for the 2021 Maintenance Fees; they were also kind enough to book our trip for August and then we transferred it when everything was final. We are lucky that we are flexible in getting our time off, otherwise we would have lost the use of the unit for the year of 2021, there was limited availability (none during the Diamond weeks).

One question - the previous owner also paid the "membership fee" for Sunset Bay, does that transfer with ownership. We want to pay them for that fee if it did transfer to us. Not sure what this fee is or the benefit of it?

We went into the process a bit blind, we did do our research and have stayed in Sunset Bay but was not aware of the process and the timelines that would occur. Net time, we will know what to expect and will not use the closing group again - hope this timeline helps someone who may be going through the same thing that we did :)

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Thanks for sharing
At the time the maint fee bill was issued and paid, the Home Options were part of the VSN until the ownership transferred to you March 5th
As a resale owner, you are not part of the network. It is up to you to decide whether to reimburse the seller for that fee.

I am glad they were able to “find” your August reservation.

DST

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Bay - STJ
Thanks for sharing
At the time the maint fee bill was issued and paid, the Home Options were part of the VSN until the ownership transferred to you March 5th
As a resale owner, you are not part of the network. It is up to you to decide whether to reimburse the seller for that fee.

I am glad they were able to “find” your August reservation.

Thanks - makes perfect sense :)