• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Hawaii Kaanapali North EOY

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Thanks for all of the replies. Fred told me that the prices for an island view in the North section on resale would be the same as the ocean view in the origional section. He actully has both listed. On the eoy 2 bed island view in the North section they countered to me with 18,000. There is an e bay add and he will take 17,000 for the same type of unit.
Now are my question's. Would I be better off with a 81,000 point 1 bed ocean view unit? There is one on e bay that the seller told me could be purchased for 17,800 but it is at the origional section. I would have about 14,900 more points evy other year. And is the new North section in any way better then the origional section. What is a good price for one of these 1 bed units.
Thanks so much.
Rod

Things to consider:

MFs annually for a 1 bedroom are ~1200 or more?
MFs for a 2 bedroom are ~1500 divided by 2 (roughly) for an EOY

Will you be happy with a 1 bedroom in Maui? Will you ever need a 2 bedroom? Will 81K SOs get you to where you want to go?

I thought that 1 bedrooms were going for prices comparable to the 2 bedroom EOY?

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Sorry my post went off topic. I didn't mean to that. I'll go ahead and delete. I apologize.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks for all of the replies. Fred told me that the prices for an island view in the North section on resale would be the same as the ocean view in the origional section. He actully has both listed. On the eoy 2 bed island view in the North section they countered to me with 18,000. There is an e bay add and he will take 17,000 for the same type of unit.
Now are my question's. Would I be better off with a 81,000 point 1 bed ocean view unit? There is one on e bay that the seller told me could be purchased for 17,800 but it is at the origional section. I would have about 14,900 more points evy other year. And is the new North section in any way better then the origional section. What is a good price for one of these 1 bed units.
Thanks so much.
Rod

I would definitely go for an ocean view. At the Westin, if you buy island view, you are stuck with it. For the most part, only elite owners (multiple week owners) get upgraded to better views. At the WKORV ("old" resort) Island View usually means highway view. I have heard that some island view units may be better at the new resort, but you know that some of the IV units are going to have crappy views. When I'm in Hawaii I wanna see the OCEAN! I'd spend a bit more for OV.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
One more thing, I think 1 bedrooms are only available at the original WKORV? WKORV-N only sold 2 bedroom lockoffs, I believe.

You could also wait around for the WKORV-FN (further north) which won't have any studios but will have 3 bedrooms!

pharmgirl

Reaction score
I would definitely go for an ocean view. At the Westin, if you buy island view, you are stuck with it. For the most part, only elite owners (multiple week owners) get upgraded to better views. At the WKORV ("old" resort) Island View usually means highway view. I have heard that some island view units may be better at the new resort, but you know that some of the IV units are going to have crappy views. When I'm in Hawaii I wanna see the OCEAN! I'd spend a bit more for OV.

And watch out if you make reservation less than 8 months before. With Westin even if you own an oceanview you may get island view, no guarantee, don't know till you check in.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks so much.
Rod
I answered this a while back to someone else - they ended up buying a 1Bd OV at WKORV. Depends if you want the LO studio (as in - do you want a studio with a kitchenette, and a sucky balcony at WKORV-N - or none at all at WKORV?) This is an important consideration, and depends on your vacation needs. For us - we would did not want the studio side except for the WKORV OF - and had to accept it for our WPORV. WKORV-N does not have a deeded 1Bd (either does WPORV), but WKORV-NN will as I understand.

~17K for the 1Bd WKORV - also, one good aspect of the LO is that you pay relatively less for it MF-wise.
(in comparing the MFs of the 2Bd LO to the 1Bd)

I am unclear what you mean about the 14.9K extra points EOY? [StarOptions ?]
You are buying resale - you don't get StarPoints - and the SOs that you get are 148.1K EOY - they are not split - perhaps I missed something. Research more before you buy anything... (search past posts...ask questions)
The 2nd R of the RRR&R mantra.

Last edited:

KOR5Star

Reaction score
That's too bad about the lazy river!
KOR5star..there's going to be 4 properties? I got the brochure for the third one.
Sorry for the delay. I missed this question.

Yes, there will be four resorts. Two on each side of that park next to WKORVN. All four resorts will share resources.

All will have pools, but no other pool slides are planned. That might mean more tweens and teens in the pool at the original WKORV.

I'm most concerned about the tennis courts. There are only two. They are already hard to get on in the morning (when I like to play) during high demand weeks... and that's with WKORVN still not open yet!

MON2REY

TUG Member
Reaction score
KOR5Star,
Where did you hear that there would be 2 new complexes north of WKORVN? When were there in July we were told that there will be 2 complexes but only the one just north of WKORVN would be Westin; the one further north (already under construction) was not Starwood.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe there will only be three Starwood resorts:

- WKORV is completed and basically sold out, although Starwood sometimes gets inventory as people upgrade to WKORV-N. They have 2 BR Lock-offs or one bedroom units with various views.
- WKORV-N opens this year and is expected to be completed by the end of 2008 or maybe 2009. They only sell 2BR lock-off's.
- WKORV-Ho'omahua expansion is in the process of getting all its permits. They will sell 1, 2 and 3 BR units, no lock-offs. I'm sorry they won't have lock-offs because I like the flexibility of using the whole unit or just one part. I suppose those that want that can always buy two 1BR or a 1BR and a 2BR but the maintenance fees will be astronomical.

The fourth resort is an Intrawest whole-ownership condominium development called Honua Kai that is already under construction and almost sold out. They had a one-day auction a year or two ago for the first phase and all units sold out in one day! I have a friend that bought there. I think they sold the second phase last December. I'm not sure if any units are still available.

There are also two lots just south of WKOR available for construction of private homes. These are about an acre each and last year when I was there one was for sale for about $10 million.

This is the last beach area in West Maui (maybe all of Maui?) available for development.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
A while back I got some information on the final Starwood expansion that included a map of the various properties in this area. DeniseM was kind enough to host the scans I made on her web site at http://www.freewebs.com/denisetravels/newwkorvhoomahuapics.htm

You can see the proposed room layouts and other artist renderings there. Lot 1 is WKORV, Lot 2 WKORV-N, Lot 3 WKORV-Ho'omahua Expansion. Lot 4 is not a Starwood property.

There's an artist's rendering of the non-Starwood Honua-Kai project at http://www.honuakai.com/condo.html. For reference, to the left, on the beach, is the old Embassy Suites resort.

Last edited:

Iowa Rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave and Robin, What I was refering to is if I purchased a 1 bed unit 81,000 star options every 2 years I would have 162,000 staroptions. I was told I could borrow from one year. So if I woudl have then I could have 162,000 star options in a yr. Which woule be 13,900 more staroptions over the same period as an eoy with 148,100. Dave I have been looking at all posts. I had planned to buy a Marriott I want to go not in the summer but usually in the 3rd week of March. My kids have baseball Little League and AAU and we are usually just left with August. March is still cold in Iowa so we love warm weather. That being said I was worried that I would not get the Marriott week I need. So I started to Look at Starwood. I need to get going ASAP as I want to make sure I can get a reservation for March of 2008. I had made a post about the new Cancun property as I was offered to me by a Starwood rep. Although its not Hawaii we love Cancun. Its just a 3.5 hr flight from DSM and usually its about half the cost. I do thank you for your time.
Rod

MON2REY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am misunderstanding you. It is my understanding that a 1 BR EY is worth 81,000 star options and that an EOY would be worth half that yearly, or 81,000 every two years. Therefore it would take you four years to earn the 162,000 you are seeking. I seriously doubt that an EOY could borrow from two years out, but if you can, more power to you.

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
IowaRod-

I think you are inquiring about buying a 1BR EY unit that would be worth 81000 StarPoints & then trying to borrow ahead the following year's points for a 148100 2BR reservation (leaving 13900 StarPoints). Is that right?

It is my understanding (not 100% sure on this) that you can borrrow your next year's StarOptions but can only make a reservation at the 90 day mark if using borrowed StarOptions. This would not be a good recipe for trying to reserve a specific spring break week.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Dave and Robin, What I was refering to is if I purchased a 1 bed unit 81,000 star options every 2 years I would have 162,000 staroptions. I was told I could borrow from one year. So if I woudl have then I could have 162,000 star options in a yr. Which woule be 13,900 more staroptions over the same period as an eoy with 148,100. Dave I have been looking at all posts. I had planned to buy a Marriott I want to go not in the summer but usually in the 3rd week of March. My kids have baseball Little League and AAU and we are usually just left with August. March is still cold in Iowa so we love warm weather. That being said I was worried that I would not get the Marriott week I need. So I started to Look at Starwood. I need to get going ASAP as I want to make sure I can get a reservation for March of 2008. I had made a post about the new Cancun property as I was offered to me by a Starwood rep. Although its not Hawaii we love Cancun. Its just a 3.5 hr flight from DSM and usually its about half the cost. I do thank you for your time.
Rod

Be careful with this assumption in buying resale - I am not sure how it works with resale in borrowing SOs (whether it is even possible with resale). One thing that cannot be done with a resale purchase is combining SOs - they can only be split - this is why (IMO) that you should buy at least 81K resale SOs no matter what.

With the increase in Cancun SOs - this does make this property alot more desirable (although I think Princeville will hold it's value better than Cancun - but that is my opinion - and hope - since we bought there).

The main thing is to buy where you plan to go - whether or not it is resale. I mentioned the 81K SOs at WKORV (1Bd) because the LO studio can possible be more hassle than it is worth - but if you have kids that you feel can be safe in their own studio - then the LO offers benefit. Again, it comes down to your vacation priorities - and of course - cost. It is important to consider these. I personally would recommend buying resale - and buying Mandatory.

If you can go 'off-season' (the low occupancy months) then exchanging into SVN resorts will be easy (except St John, and likely Princeville) - then buy resale Mandatory (Kierland resale is a good buy when you look at the total package - IMO).

If you can't go off-season, then certainly buy where you want to go (even if you decide to buy from SVO) - but there is alot of money to be saved resale. If you buy resale - and later you decide the SVO/SVN system works well - then buy from SVO and requal your resale. I would not recommend buying SVO Voluntary resale (except maybe Princeville) unless you have plans to get to 5* Elite - and you are far from that.

Regardless - be patient - TSs are like buses - if you miss one - another will soon come by. If we were more patient with our first TS (resale WKORV OF) we would have saved $5K, but at least we bought resale (ty TUG).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Another thing - if you plan to buy Cancum from SVO - consider being patient - going to Kierland on a TS tour package (I can get you reference info) - go thru the TS spiel there - and get the terms agreed to - BUT DON'T SIGN - at the exit interview you will get offered the Explorer Package - use this to buy Cancun - that essentially gives you 80K additional StarPoints for $100.

I am not sure of the SP incentives they offer there - but certainly a Tugger probably knows - or I can give you someone to call at WKV (they would probably tell you)

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thing - if you plan to buy Cancum from SVO - consider being patient - going to Kierland on a TS tour package (I can get you reference info) - go thru the TS spiel there - and get the terms agreed to - BUT DON'T SIGN - at the exit interview you will get offered the Explorer Package - use this to buy Cancun - that essentially gives you 80K additional StarPoints for $100.

I am not sure of the SP incentives they offer there - but certainly a Tugger probably knows - or I can give you someone to call at WKV (they would probably tell you)

I completely agree with David except that I recommend that you but RESALE VOLUNTARY and REQUALIFY THE VOLUNTARY. This works when you plan on buying a Developer and need to requalify a resale. You will save 50% and be closer to the Five * Elite that is the goal.

KOR5Star

Reaction score
A while back I got some information on the final Starwood expansion that included a map of the various properties in this area. DeniseM was kind enough to host the scans I made on her web site at http://www.freewebs.com/denisetravels/newwkorvhoomahuapics.htm

You can see the proposed room layouts and other artist renderings there. Lot 1 is WKORV, Lot 2 WKORV-N, Lot 3 WKORV-Ho'omahua Expansion. Lot 4 is not a Starwood property.

There's an artist's rendering of the non-Starwood Honua-Kai project at http://www.honuakai.com/condo.html. For reference, to the left, on the beach, is the old Embassy Suites resort.
I knew that Marriott and Starwood were at least two of the properties bidding on the land West of the park. I also knew that Starwood won.

When I recieved the brochure from Starwood (the one you scanned and posted), I just assumed all four properties were being developed by Starwood.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wmh Or Sdo?

Would i be better off buying a l/o at wmh plat, since it is voluntary does it maintain the 148,100 so's when it is transferred as a resale. at sdo a l/o plat is valuted at 81,000 so's. do i have my facts straight? i want to purchase to requalify to get to 5*.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Would i be better off buying a l/o at wmh plat, since it is voluntary does it maintain the 148,100 so's when it is transferred as a resale. at sdo a l/o plat is valuted at 81,000 so's. do i have my facts straight? i want to purchase to requalify to get to 5*.

I guess if the goal is 5*, then WMH plat is the better move--try to get as many options in one transaction as possible. WMH plat will be significantly more expensive--at least twice as much, and with much higher m.f. as well. So I would only do it if you need 148,100 options.

Glorian