• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Hawaii Kaanapali North EOY

Iowa Rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
If a person bought a new westin hawaii on the resale market. I have found a eoy ocean front with 148,100 points for about 18,000. We want to add either this or Martriott Maui Ocean club as we go there every other year. If a person only wanted to use the 1 bedroom can you put your remaining points into the next yr. Also can you borrow points? I know much about the marriott product but little about the Westin. I do know that the marriott is hard to get the week you want reserved. Any ideas on how hard it will be to reserve the 3rd week in march at this westin.
Thanks, Rod

KOR5Star

Reaction score
If a person bought a new westin hawaii on the resale market. I have found a eoy ocean front with 148,100 points for about 18,000.
WOW! :eek: That sounds like a really good deal. Are you absolutely sure it's ocean front? A lot of unscrupulous sellers use the term "ocean front" to describe the resort and then allow the buyer to believe the unit itself is ocean front. At that price, I would have some serious doubts and ask for proof... the unit number, so you can check with the Starwood Vacation Network (SVN).

We want to add either this or Martriott Maui Ocean club as we go there every other year. If a person only wanted to use the 1 bedroom can you put your remaining points into the next yr.
No. Nothing can be held over to the next year. If you don't plan to use it, you need to bank it with II or try to rent it.

Also can you borrow points?
Yes. You can borrow StarOptions from the following year if you pay your MF for the following year. This would allow you to use a Studio one year and a 1BR the next. Or you could go twice in two years, but then you'd have a two year dry spell.

The problem with borrowing is you lose the 12 month to 8 month owner's window, therefore you'll lose any chance at a high demand week.

I know much about the marriott product but little about the Westin. I do know that the marriott is hard to get the week you want reserved. Any ideas on how hard it will be to reserve the 3rd week in march at this westin.
Thanks, Rod
It will be very easy. There are no "super-owners" in the SVN as there are with Marriott. Everyone that owns at a property gets exactly the same chance to book at that property. It matters not how many weeks a person owns. We all get treated equally. The window is 12 months to 8 months. After 8 months anyone owning a property anywhere within the SVN can book. If the week you want is high demand, you had better get yourself on the phone the moment SVN opens up, 12 months in advance. If you do that, you'll get your time for sure.

Last edited:

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I agree that the price sounds too good to be true, but if it is truly an EOY OF, go for it (I didn't know that they sold EOY OFs anywhere, always thought they were EY only).

If you "borrow" Staroptions, my understanding is that you can only use them within 90 days of check-in, so they are probably best used during off-season with a lot of flexibility.

Iowa Rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
i found this on a tug add

I spoke to Fred today on this about his add on Tug and he told me it was an oceanfront. I will find out the room number and go from there.
Thanks, Rod Brannan

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just browsed the current TUG ads and the only WKORV-N OF I saw was EY for $56900.

The EOYs for $18900 are for WKORV-N Island View (IV) or WKORV-N Ocean View (OV).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I spoke to Fred today on this about his add on Tug and he told me it was an oceanfront. I will find out the room number and go from there.
Thanks, Rod Brannan

Fred has 3 units for sale on TUG: ocean front, ocean view, and island view, listed in 3 different ads. Maybe he thought you were referring to his Ad for Ocean Front when you called.

Island View units will really vary in view - some will have a good angled viewed of the ocean and some will just have a glimpse. The view you get is based on how early in the day, at exactly 12 mos. out, you make your Resv. The early bird gets the worm. Reserving the 3rd week in March shouldn't be hard as long as you call at the butt-crack of dawn at exactly 12 mos. out. (The Resv. office is in Florida - bad for us left coasters!)

I'm not sure that having the unit number will help very much at this point, because I don't think anyone knows exactly how the units are numbered, since the resort is still under construction. However, the deed will definitely specify - Island View, Ocean View, or Ocean Front.

Good luck - please let us know how it turns out! :hi:

Last edited:

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise thats the one the eoy that they are aksing 18,900 for

Okay, then it's either Ocean View or Island View, but not Ocean Front. So then the price seems appropriate. For the same price, get the Ocean View...same Staroptions, same MFs, etc. Fred is great to work with. Good luck!

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought an OF Deluxe from Fred. He is awesome to work with. Very honest and helpful and great communication!

KOR5Star

Reaction score
I'm not sure that having the unit number will help very much at this point, because I don't think anyone knows exactly how the units are numbered, since the resort is still under construction. However, the deed will definitely specify - Island View, Ocean View, or Ocean Front.
Either the room number or contract number can be used by SVN to look up what view category the unit has. They are glad to do it.

They won't divulge the owner's name or personal info, hence the reason I suggested asking for the room number instead of the contract number. That way, SVN is sure you are not trying to pry into a particular person's private info, because many different people will own that particular room.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Either the room number or contract number can be used by SVN to look up what view category the unit has. They are glad to do it.

Thanks - that's a great tip!

Iowa Rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
this sounds like a great property

I would have bought a Marriott except I am so afraid of not getting a week I need. I dont want to pay Marriott 1300 mf and then not get a week in the summer or in late march during my childrens spring break. As we only go to Hawaii about once every other year I think this will fill a void for me. Also this looks like a great property. Is there any difference at the new north location?
Thanks, Rod

califgal

Reaction score
The new North property is right next door to the original. It will have more pools, a lazy river, I think, and a pirate ship for the kids which I think will have a movie screen as the sails. Supposedly, if you own at the original you will be able to have acesss to the pool at the new property. I don't know if that has changed, or could change policy at any time. I think the units are more like a real 2 bdrm without the common outside hallway separating the studio from the one bdrm, but still can be useds lock off.

If I made any errors fellow tuggers please correct me!

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I would have bought a Marriott except I am so afraid of not getting a week I need. I dont want to pay Marriott 1300 mf and then not get a week in the summer or in late march during my childrens spring break. As we only go to Hawaii about once every other year I think this will fill a void for me. Also this looks like a great property. Is there any difference at the new north location?
Thanks, Rod

There was a post at the end of March where someone did not get their check-in date they wanted at WKORV. You might want to check it out.

My aunt owns every other year at Marriott Maui and hasn't had a problem reserving at 12 months. She owns an Island/garden view which I believe they have a lot more units.

formerhater

Reaction score
The new North property is right next door to the original. It will have more pools, a lazy river, I think, and a pirate ship for the kids which I think will have a movie screen as the sails. Supposedly, if you own at the original you will be able to have acesss to the pool at the new property. I don't know if that has changed, or could change policy at any time. I think the units are more like a real 2 bdrm without the common outside hallway separating the studio from the one bdrm, but still can be useds lock off.

I think you've got it all...Something I didn't realize from all the renderings until I got there was the fact that it's really starting to look like one whole property (if you ignore the fact that half is still under construction). With the location of the pirate ship/kiddie area between the two properties, it seems to link them together pretty well.

KOR5Star

Reaction score

No, just two pools... it just has a regular pool (no slide) and a kiddie pool with very small pirate ship with mini slide... toddlers only type of thing. No lazy river. That was an old rumor.

All four properties slated for that strip will share resources. I'm a little annoyed at that because the original is the only one with a "real" pool slide and tennis courts. I don't even see a hot tub in the new place, but I'm hoping they put one somewhere. The originaly resort's resources are going to be sorely taxed when it's all built up. C'mon two tennis courts servicing four timeshare resorts!?!? I've wrote a letter of complaint as soon as I saw the overall plans.

KOR5Star

Reaction score
There was a post at the end of March where someone did not get their check-in date they wanted at WKORV. You might want to check it out.

My aunt owns every other year at Marriott Maui and hasn't had a problem reserving at 12 months. She owns an Island/garden view which I believe they have a lot more units.
If they don't call as soon as SPG opens one year in advance, yeah, duh, they could miss out on their desired week. As in all timeshare programs, most of the people want the same weeks. Not everyone can get them. First come, first serve. At least with Westin everyone is treated equally, no matter how many weeks one owns.

The important difference between Marriott and Westin is the idea of "super owners" at Marriott. Multiple week owners in Marriott get a "head start" in making reservations over single week owners. This effectively bars most of the single week owners from ever getting high demand weeks. It forces Marriott owners to purchase more weeks just to get some decent usage from their already-bought-and-paid-for ownership.

I would advise anyone looking at a Marriott timeshare to make sure they get cozy with the Ts & Cs, especially looking to see if anyone else can make reservations before they can. That's a real killer and makes the timeshare virtually useless.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rod - Are you considering the Ocean View unit?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, just two pools... it just has a regular pool (no slide) and a kiddie pool with very small pirate ship with mini slide... toddlers only type of thing. No lazy river. That was an old rumor.

The lazy river was actually in the original published design, but they took it out later. :bawl:

califgal

Reaction score
That's too bad about the lazy river!
KOR5star..there's going to be 4 properties? I got the brochure for the third one.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would advise anyone looking at a Marriott timeshare to make sure they get cozy with the Ts & Cs, especially looking to see if anyone else can make reservations before they can. That's a real killer and makes the timeshare virtually useless.

Have you ever owned a Marriott timeshare? I've stayed in more places with Marriott than I'll ever will with Westin. All timeshares have their pros and cons. I'm glad you like Westin but I really think you are making it a bigger deal than it is. JMHO.... I've never had problems getting into the places I wanted to go to. I travel strictly during summer and school holidays. YOu can check the pictures in my signature and you can see all the places I have visited.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The lazy river was actually in the original published design, but they took it out later. :bawl:

This is where Westin stucks. If I could I'd sell my Westin and buy at Marriott Maui or Ko'Olina where the pools are or will be much better, I would. Ko'Olina is adding a pool slide and a lazy river similar to the one at Maui Marriott. I think Westin is gonna have a lot of disappointed timeshare owners when they see that the lazy river wasn't added.

Courts

TUG Member
Reaction score

All four properties slated for that strip will share resources. I'm a little annoyed at that because the original is the only one with a "real" pool slide and tennis courts. I don't even see a hot tub in the new place, but I'm hoping they put one somewhere. The originaly resort's resources are going to be sorely taxed when it's all built up. C'mon two tennis courts servicing four timeshare resorts!?!? I've wrote a letter of complaint as soon as I saw the overall plans.

When I was showed the drawing for the north section, there were three water designations. One was much smaller than the others. Is there a "pond" in the plans, or is that what was taken out ?

KOR5Star

Reaction score
Have you ever owned a Marriott timeshare? I've stayed in more places with Marriott than I'll ever will with Westin. All timeshares have their pros and cons. I'm glad you like Westin but I really think you are making it a bigger deal than it is. JMHO.... I've never had problems getting into the places I wanted to go to. I travel strictly during summer and school holidays. YOu can check the pictures in my signature and you can see all the places I have visited.
My sister owns with Marriott on Maui. I relating her experience. Her timeshare was literally unusable during high demand weeks. She tried for four years, then bought more so she could actually use what she owned.

I'm not talking without knowledge. As of about 18 months ago, when my sister finally gave in and bought more Marriott timeshare, Marriott allowed multi-week owners to book before single week owners. That's a fact. It's also a fact that high demand weeks booked out completely before the single week owners ever get a chance to book. If this policy has changed, please inform me of the new policy. I'd hate to continue to mis-inform people.