• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welcome to HGVC!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Welcome back, Doug ! You and DRI were meant to be

DRI always seems to be coming back around to me like a cosmic pimple

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Depends on the resort. There are some that are very hard for HGVC members to book. The SW Florida Resoffs, Hilton Head, ski weeks in Park City and Breckinridge and Oahu are hard to book in club season.

We’ve booked Oahu twice without a lot of difficulty, but I wasn’t overly particular about the resort or unit.

Last edited:

cindyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
DRI's systems are so complicated by comparison to HGVC's. I wonder what will happen to Silver/Gold/Platinum members who used Club Combinations to deposit units owned in HGVC. Will that double dipping still be allowed? Will the elite owners in DRI have their status recognized by HGVC? So many questions and such a long time before we will find out.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE=']HGVC agrees to purchase DRI for 1.5 billion![/URL] I hope you all are happy with the change and it works out that you get to use our system. I love the locations of your system![/QUOTE]

We own both. We are at the top elite tier of both (HGV EP, DRI platinum). We got email from both. Currently DRI operate the same. Not changing for a while. So is HGV. ). Just like we own Westin but not dealing with Marriott. We can exchange into Marriott easily with Dri points thru II so we really do not need Marriott’s. HGV is cheaper in MF and I like their MF system. (You pay more in the front to buy platinum season premier unit, paying the same MF as bronze season similar size. Do you May paid the same amount for a two bedroom of 3500 point Vs 9500 points ). Dri charges much more points for 2 bedrooms per points and MF. Personally, I wish they never combine. I like the different perks. I like HGV Hilton honor exchange. We are Hilton Diamond member and we travel the world when their is no timeshare, we can stay in Hilton hotels. We like to use HHonor points to book Conrad and Waldorf Astoria with executive lounge and happy hours. That is one of the best perk being elite premier

The best thing of DRI for me is the II exchange. I exchanged into 2 bedroom marriott in Caribbean and ASIA with as little as 3000 to 5000 Dri points. We are going to Bangkok Marriott empire place 3 bedroom with about 5000 Dri points. We exchanged many timeshares to Westin in Cancun, Kuai, Maui, and Palm Spring with little DRI points that is not even enough for a DRI studio. So far I used all my HGV points and never exchange with RCI yet. I used all my HGV points for HGV or converted to HHonor points for Hilton hotels.

Both system say that they operated the same and promised that our elite benefit will not change and May be improve.

Also the structure is not the same. HGV is deeded by property, season and unit type. The reservation system is you can book 12 months for home resort. Club reservations can book in 9 month window. Dri is by collection and point is by collection. I figure it would be hard for Dri member to book HGV. Just like hhonor points, unless HGV take Dri reservation and used HGV points, those limited exchange will be opened to Dri member. HGV would not let Dri member to invade the system that make their own member not able to make reservation of the deeded property. They will not sell if there is no inventory. HGV hold certain amount inventories. May be the unsold one could be available. HGV will not oversold the deed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is posted in HGV website:

About the Acquisition
1. Why is Hilton Grand Vacations acquiring Diamond now? And how does this impact my timeshare ownership?
Hilton Grand Vacations’ acquisition of Diamond will create one of the largest timeshare networks in the industry, joining HGV’s brand and culture with Diamond’s strong, unaffiliated portfolio. Please read President and CEO Mark Wang’s email for details about the acquisition.

2. When will the acquisition take place?
HGV’s agreement to acquire Diamond is anticipated to close in summer 2021, pending all necessary and required approvals.

3. Will HGV remain a publicly-traded company?
Yes. HGV will continue to be traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol “HGV.”

Timeshare Ownership
4. Will the acquisition of Diamond affect HGV Owners?
No. Although we expect to be able to offer Owners more choices and vacation opportunities in the future, for the time being, your ownership rights and access will not be changed or diluted. Club Members will continue to have access to the Club exchange program, including more than 6,300 Hilton hotels globally.

5. Will the terms of my current timeshare ownership change? Will my 2021 fees go up?
No, your timeshare ownership will remain the same and you will continue to make reservations the same way you do now. Also, there will be no changes to any of your 2021 Club Dues or maintenance fees as the result of the acquisition.

6. Can I transfer my HGV timeshare to Diamond?
No, your timeshare ownership cannot be transferred to Diamond. Over time, some of Diamond’s existing resorts may be rebranded into the HGV family, and you may be offered additional purchase opportunities at that time. Rebranding of Diamond’s resorts is expected to take place over a phased, multi-year period.

7. I own both an HGV and Diamond timeshare. Can I merge my ownership interests?
No, your timeshare ownership cannot be transferred or merged at this time. Over time, as Diamond’s existing resorts are re-branded under the HGV umbrella, you may be offered additional opportunities.

8. Will HGV buy my Diamond timeshare? Will Diamond buy my HGV timeshare?
No, HGV is unable to buy any Diamond timeshares from current Owners. Similarly, Diamond is unable to buy any timeshares from HGV Owners.

9. Will HGV Owners automatically become part of Diamond’s Club Member program?
Your Club program membership will remain with HGV. As new membership and timeshare product opportunities are available in the future, these will be communicated to Owners.

Inventory Availability & RCI Access
10. Will the acquisition impact inventory availability?
No, HGV Owners will continue to access available inventory the same way you do now. To access non-HGV or Diamond inventory, you will need to do so through RCI or another timeshare exchange company, based on the rules of their respective membership programs. Over time, we will provide additional details on how these two Clubs may function together.

11. Can I use my HGV ClubPoints to access Diamond resorts?
Yes. currently, you may access Diamond resorts through RCI or another timeshare exchange program. Over time, we will provide additional details on how these two Clubs may function together.

12. Will Diamond properties be available to book through Hilton.com and the Club website, with my ClubPoints, or with Hilton Honors Points?
Over time, we will provide additional details on how these two Clubs may function together. As Diamond properties are rebranded under the HGV umbrella, they will be available for rental on Hilton.com.

13. Will I be able to continue to deposit ClubPoints into RCI?
Yes, you will be able to continue depositing Points into RCI. For details, please review the Club Reference 2021: Rules and Fees guide, available on the Club website.

Relationship With Hilton
14. Will HGV’s relationship with Hilton change, including Hilton Honors Points conversions?
No, our existing long-term agreement with Hilton remains, including access to its more than 6,300 hotels globally. HGV Club Members will also continue to convert their ClubPoints to Hilton Honors Points at the current ratios. For details, please review the Club Reference 2021: Rules and Fees guide, available on the Club website.

15. Will HGV retain the Hilton brand?
Yes, HGV will remain one of Hilton’s many brands. The Hilton values and standards are cornerstones of our business and critical to our future success.

Brand & Housekeeping Standards
16. Will Diamond resorts meet HGV’s brand standards?
Over time, the majority of Diamond’s resorts will be rebranded under a new HGV brand. This new product will complement our existing Hilton Grand Vacations and By Hilton Club brands. Rebranding of Diamond resorts is expected to take place over a phased, multi-year period.

17. Are Diamond resorts following enhanced cleaning and sanitation standards?
Diamond properties follow the Diamond Standard of Clean. Following the announcement, both companies will continue to implement their current enhanced cleaning protocols. For details about HGV’s Enhanced Care Guidelines with Hilton CleanStay™, visit my.hgv.com/cleanstay.

Updates & Communications
18. How will I be notified of upcoming changes?
As details are identified and new vacation products and services are available, we will communicate with Owners to keep you informed along the way. HGV will continue to leverage existing communication channels, including updates via email, website notifications and announcements posted in our two Member publications, Club Traveler magazine and eClub Traveler monthly newsletter.

19. Who can I contact with additional questions or concerns related to this acquisition?
Once the acquisition closes and as details are finalized, we will communicate with Owners to keep you informed. If you’re an HGV Owner, please visit our Contact Us page for contact information. Diamond owners should contact 877-374-2582 or email theclub@diamondresorts.com.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
A big thanks to all of those that have interacted with us! Learning about the system and the properties has been really helpful! A shout out to those members who we had discussions with in the past years about the synergy between the two companies. @nuwermj was completely correct when he said that there might be a merger between HGVC and DRI and that HGVC would be the one that manages it. I hope we all can learn from each other more about the different resorts and locations.

A couple of questions for those that know both DRI and HGVC, which resorts/locations could you see as on par (or close to on par) with existing HGVC locations/resorts. Would there be any locations with resorts that could be fairly easily brought up to HGVC standards? How do you see Embarc/Intrawest meshing with HGVC or do you think they will remain a separate entity?

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions for those that know both DRI and HGVC, which resorts/locations could you see as on par (or close to on par) with existing HGVC locations/resorts. Would there be any locations with resorts that could be fairly easily brought up to HGVC standards? How do you see Embarc/Intrawest meshing with HGVC or do you think they will remain a separate entity?
I am a DRI owner, but I do not have extensive travel experience in either the DRI nor HGVC networks. However as a longtime business traveler to Marriott / Hilton / Westin / Sheraton properties around the world, and timeshare owner with Marriott / Westin / Sheraton these are the DRI properties I think could be brought up to HGVC standards relatively quickly...OR...I suspect they will be prioritized by HGVC to be converted to HGVC standards as quickly as possible...

DRI Hawaii properties
DRI California / Las Vegas properties
DRI Sedona properties
DRI Mexico and Caribbean properties
DRI Virginia Beach properties (Ocean Beach Club / Oceanaire complex, Turtle Cay, Boardwalk Villas, Beach Quarters)
DRI OBX property - Beachwoods - Kitty Hawk, NC

Obviously DRI has properties that might be interesting to HGVC management in coastal Florida, Orlando specifically, Williamsburg VA, etc. But listening to the conference call there were a few HGVC management themes / analyst questions that stuck out to me...

- Focus / interest / excitement on adding more beach properties - Virginia Beach mentioned specifically in this regard
- The importance of maintaining the Hilton name / standard of excellence
- Analyst question touching on the topic of how HGVC might deal with Diamond's history of questionable sales tactics
- Analyst question basically asking how HGVC might deal with the fact that Diamond was known for high maintenance fees but not the same quality as HGVC

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond)
We left DRI in 2016 because their management fees were higher than HGVC but their resort quality was considerably lower in most cases. The knock on HGVC is that they specialized in Vegas, Orlando, Oahu and the Big Island. Great resorts but little diversity. They’ve tried to expand that diversity and have added locations, just not enough

I’ll post some photo albums of our HGVC stays for comparison purposes

Thank you for that! So far as Diamond Owners from the 1970s, we have seen a lot of changes in ownership, and thus far each change has been positive. I just wish any/all of the companies had more resorts in California!

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Thank you for that! So far as Diamond Owners from the 1970s, we have seen a lot of changes in ownership, and thus far each change has been positive. I just wish any/all of the companies had more resorts in California!
Diamond Resorts was not around in the 1970’s.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Did Sunterra just change their name to Diamond Resorts, or was there an acquisition involved?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Did Sunterra just change their name to Diamond Resorts, or was there an acquisition involved?

Diamond bought Sunterra and everything was Diamond. I want to say this was around 2007-08. That’s when Stephen Cloobeck was in charge and Diamond was somewhat more customer friendly. Nevertheless, no one could have been a Diamond Resorts owner in 1970’s because it did not exist. I was originally an Epic Resorts owner in 1998 which included the Sedona Summit property. They were bought by Sunterra which gave us more resorts to access which was good. Then Sunterra was bought by Diamond Resorts International.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond bought Sunterra and everything was Diamond. I want to say this was around 2007-08. That’s when Stephen Cloobeck was in charge and Diamond was somewhat more customer friendly. Nevertheless, no one could have been a Diamond Resorts owner in 1970’s because it did not exist. I was originally an Epic Resorts owner in 1998 which included the Sedona Summit property. They were bought by Sunterra which gave us more resorts to access which was good. Then Sunterra was bought by Diamond Resorts International.
When we first stayed at The Point at Poipu in 2000, it was Embassy Suites, then Sunterra, then Diamond Resorts International, then just Diamond Resorts. They keep the sign makers busy.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
When we first stayed at The Point at Poipu in 2000, it was Embassy Suites, then Sunterra, then Diamond Resorts International, then just Diamond Resorts. They keep the sign makers busy.
Was it Embassy Suites or Embassy Vacation Resorts? Going way back, I beleive Embassy was licensing its rights to Signature Resorts. Interestingly Vistana (the original company) licensed Hampton.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Was it Embassy Suites or Embassy Vacation Resorts? Going way back, I beleive Embassy was licensing its rights to Signature Resorts. Interestingly Vistana (the original company licensed Hampton).
Thanks for the correction. Here's the map they gave us.
i-9jvqBjr-X3.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Was it Embassy Suites or Embassy Vacation Resorts? Going way back, I beleive Embassy was licensing its rights to Signature Resorts. Interestingly Vistana (the original company licensed Hampton).
If memory serves, there were five Embassy Vacation Resorts - Poipu, Ka'anapali, Lake Tahoe, Scottsdale, and Orlando. The Embassy name was withdrawn by Doubletree after Doubletree acquired Embassy.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes and No. The Cloobeck family with different company names started in late 70's with the Jockey Club.

On this web page, https://www.writework.com/essay/diamond-resort-group-privately-owned-company-started, it says; Started in the late 70?s it began in Las Vegas with the Jockey Club which is now sold out but is still managed by the company and currently is one of two timeshares on the Las Vegas strip. Diamond the added to there arsenal of Las Vegas timeshares two more properties Polo Towers and Carriage house.

On this web page, https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4015412.html, it says: DRI began in the late 1970s with the conversion to timeshare of the Jockey Club, a 348-unit high-rise condominium complex on the Las Vegas Strip

On this web page, https://www.jockeyclubvegas.com/about-us/, it says: In 1977, timeshare came on the scene where a group of investors formed Jockey Club Resort Properties

On this web page, https://washingtonbabylon.com/spoil...crat-donor-whines-about-party-going-too-left/, it says: His father, Sheldon Cloobeck, was CEO of the International Resorts Group, who owned nearly half of Las Vegas’ time share industry before his son acquired his company.

On this web page from 1999, https://lasvegassun.com/news/1999/sep/17/strip-timeshare-adding-third-tower/, it says: International Resort Group, the parent company of Polo Towers and the Jockey Club, also announced it's changing its name to Diamond Resorts International.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Yes and No. The Cloobeck family with different company names started in late 70's with the Jockey Club.

On this web page, https://www.writework.com/essay/diamond-resort-group-privately-owned-company-started, it says; Started in the late 70?s it began in Las Vegas with the Jockey Club which is now sold out but is still managed by the company and currently is one of two timeshares on the Las Vegas strip. Diamond the added to there arsenal of Las Vegas timeshares two more properties Polo Towers and Carriage house.

On this web page, https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4015412.html, it says: DRI began in the late 1970s with the conversion to timeshare of the Jockey Club, a 348-unit high-rise condominium complex on the Las Vegas Strip

On this web page, https://www.jockeyclubvegas.com/about-us/, it says: In 1977, timeshare came on the scene where a group of investors formed Jockey Club Resort Properties

On this web page, https://washingtonbabylon.com/spoil...crat-donor-whines-about-party-going-too-left/, it says: His father, Sheldon Cloobeck, was CEO of the International Resorts Group, who owned nearly half of Las Vegas’ time share industry before his son acquired his company.

On this web page from 1999, https://lasvegassun.com/news/1999/sep/17/strip-timeshare-adding-third-tower/, it says: International Resort Group, the parent company of Polo Towers and the Jockey Club, also announced it's changing its name to Diamond Resorts International.

I knew about he Marriott relationship with the Towers. I did also know about the Jockey Club. I didn’t know about the 1970’s beginnings.

bakera

Reaction score
Yes, DRI was affiliated with II. They ended that direct affiliation to create their own internal exchange. DRI weeks owners can still sign up and pay for their own individual II account and can continue to exchange through II.
We’re points owners in the European Collection and are still able to use II as before, the only difference is that we have to pay the annual II membership fee.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
We’re points owners in the European Collection and are still able to use II as before, the only difference is that we have to pay the annual II membership fee.

We own both HI and US. We can still use II just have to pay our own fees. II treat us the same. When we have issues, it is no long DRI II. Also, you could add other II resort ( if you own other non DRI, with pointed resort) for deposit. If you have fixed week, you need separate II account.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I am not sold on Hilton being so great as their units are usually small in my opinion, but they are good enough for me to consider keeping my DR ownership and not let it slip away.
We stayed at HGVC Waikoloa for 2 weeks; 1st week in a 2BR Bay Club villa, 2nd week in a 2BR Kohala Suites unit.
Bay Club Villa: we didn't realize how lucky we were until we checked into the unit. The villas are generously sized and have superb lanais. Each room has an ensuite bathroom. As an added bonus, each villa has covered parking. IIRC, they were originally built to be full-time condos.
Kohala Suites: more like an oversized hotel suite...the 2nd bedroom is very small.

Seems we hit both ends of the spectrum with our HGVC Waikoloa experience.

SeattleAl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was booked into Bay Club last May but it was cancelled due to COVID. I had stayed there once before and it was great except for the time I locked myself out of my unit by slamming the patio door too hard. My key card was inside the unit, and the door was secured with the chain. It took a couple of engineers to get the chain unsecured by running a wire thingy under the door that runs up the inside of the door and pushes the chain loose. I'm guessing this happens a lot.

I've also stayed at Flamingo and Elara in Vegas. Elara gave me two adjoining rooms by unlocking the door between the units. It had a great view of the MGM and south down the strip.

All this by exchanging my lowly Vacation Internationale points via RCI.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no, we are not happy with the change as a whole.

As far as I know, you can keep your DRI the same as if there is no merging. You can do the same as you always do. You may required to do something if you want to exchange into HGV that is just optional.

HGV sales person are not allowed to discuss or speculate about that HGV acquired DRI or what effect it may have. I was assured that it will not affect or change my HGV ownership. I was told most HGV owners do not like the merger and are happy that HGV are putting owners benefit first that no one will be affected.

I own both systems and I like the way they are. HGV are not worried about it. Since deeded owners pays the MF already. The extra inventory will be taken by some Hilton hotel guests. (Some inventory are available in Hilton.com. Since some HGV member converted HGV points to Hilton honor points and put their HGV inventory for hotel to use. But it definitely the rent is two or three times higher than club members MF cost.)