• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welcome to HGVC!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Does HGVC exchange through RCI?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Received from Diamond this morning

Dear Members and Owners,

Thank you for your continued trust and loyalty in Diamond Resorts. We strive to provide you with world-class destinations, unforgettable experiences and superior service — helping you to reconnect with what matters most.

With that in mind, I am thrilled to announce an exciting new chapter for Diamond Resorts that we expect will provide you with even more options and flexibility for your vacation ownership. Diamond Resorts and Hilton Grand Vacations (“HGV”) have signed an agreement to join together as one company, with HGV as the acquirer. This combination will bring together the iconic Hilton Grand Vacations brand with the scale and unique culture of Diamond Resorts to create a new global standard of vacation ownership hospitality.

Leading the Industry: More Options in More Destinations = More Memories

Together, the combined company will become one of the largest global timeshare networks, spanning North America, Europe and Asia. The HGV network delivers exciting new resorts in dozens of sought-after beach, ski and city destinations, including New York, Charleston, Park City and Japan.

The Diamond Resorts & Hilton Grand Vacations Commitment

Our commitment to our members and owners is that your vacation experience remains our top priority. Together, we believe we will provide you with one of the broadest offerings available in the vacation ownership industry and achieve new heights of excellence.

As an existing Diamond member or owner, you will continue to have access to the same benefits you have come to enjoy, including: access to Diamond’s resort portfolio, the Destination Xchange® program, the expanded Diamond Dream Holiday selection and our exclusive Events of a Lifetime® series. Over time, we expect most of our Diamond-managed properties to be rebranded under a new HGV sub-brand, further elevating your vacation experience.

Keeping You Informed

The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, and we expect it will take several months to complete. We are committed to being transparent with you throughout this exciting process. To keep you informed, we will endeavor to share important updates as they become available in the What’s New [u6290299.ct.sendgrid.net] section of your Member Area. If you have any questions, your Member Services team is available to assist you at any time as always. We look forward to providing you regular updates on the status of this transaction.

The completion of this transaction will mark the beginning of a new era of exceptional travel experiences. We can’t wait for you to see the many new destinations and extraordinary experiences in store for you. As always, our owners and members are at the heart of what we do, and we are honored to celebrate starting this new chapter with you.

Mike Flaskey
CEO, Diamond Resorts

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes it does. Both directions.
Is RCI membership included in HGVC membership? Do members need to work through HGVC to access RCI?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Is RCI membership included in HGVC membership? Do members need to work through HGVC to access RCI?

RCI is included. You can book RCI reservations directly with your HGV points and also create ongoing searches. This can be done directly from the B2B portal or via an RCI rep in the HGV call center.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes. I think this will be interesting. Wasn't DRI afiliated with II but they were ending that partnership?
Yes, DRI was affiliated with II. They ended that direct affiliation to create their own internal exchange. DRI weeks owners can still sign up and pay for their own individual II account and can continue to exchange through II.

mjc775

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk + DRI/HVC
It will be interesting to see if my 8500 yearly points become less valuable. I wonder if the current point system will be restructured to align with HGV - resulting in point values becoming higher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond)
It definitely should be interesting. To those who have traveled to both properties, how would you compare them? Is one nicer than the other as a whole?

For those of us who trade through II, like me because my Ka'anapali Beach Club can do either RCI or II and I chose II, will that mean we have to go to RCI?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
It definitely should be interesting. To those who have traveled to both properties, how would you compare them? Is one nicer than the other as a whole?

For those of us who trade through II, like me because my Ka'anapali Beach Club can do either RCI or II and I chose II, will that mean we have to go to RCI?

I've never stayed at a DRI resort so I don't know the difference. I will say that the HGVC properties are very nice, but have limited amenities.

There are some HGVC resorts that can trade in II. Most of the SW Florida Gulf Coast resorts and The Scotland Lodges both trade in RCI and II. These resorts all developed before HGVC was even started. You have to create and pay your own account to make your trade. I can't say DRI resorts will keep the ability to trade in II, but the precedent is there.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

We left DRI in 2016 because their management fees were higher than HGVC but their resort quality was considerably lower in most cases. The knock on HGVC is that they specialized in Vegas, Orlando, Oahu and the Big Island. Great resorts but little diversity. They’ve tried to expand that diversity and have added locations, just not enough

I’ll post some photo albums of our HGVC stays for comparison purposes

Vegas: Elara

Vegas: Las Vegas Blv location

Hawaii Big Island: The Bay Club

Hawaii Oahu: Grand Waikikian

Hawaii Oahu: Hilton Hawaiian Village Lagoon Tower

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
That news could explain why DRI's website has been down for at least an hour.

SeattleAl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like the DRI resorts and members will probably be in a secondary class to the HGVC properties and members.

I'd expect to have a attend another "update" where they will tell you you need to purchase some amount of points at full price to get access to the HGVC properties. MF fees will increase accordingly.

It might be worth it because the HGVC memberships are more easily resold than the DRI memberships. It might cost a lot to get into the Grand Waikikian, though. It might still be cheaper to buy a resale HGVC membership instead.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I have stayed in Hilton properties in Hawaii and Orlando. There are some DRIproperties that are comparable but not many. I usually use DRI for Vegas, Kauai and Maui in Hawaii, Cabo and Sedona. After that the quality slides. However, DR properties have great locations. I am not sold on Hilton being so great as their units are usually small in my opinion, but they are good enough for me to consider keeping my DR ownership and not let it slip away. If Hilton improves the DR resorts, I’ll be a happy owner two times over withHilton and Marriott ownerships.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does HGVC exchange with II or RCI ?

HGVC exchanges with RCI. There are some resorts that trade with II, but those arrangements predate their affiliation with HGVC. You have to create, pay for and manage your II account. The SW Florida resorts and the Scotland Lodges trade with RCI and II.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
It looks like the DRI resorts and members will probably be in a secondary class to the HGVC properties and members.

I'd expect to have a attend another "update" where they will tell you you need to purchase some amount of points at full price to get access to the HGVC properties. MF fees will increase accordingly.

It might be worth it because the HGVC memberships are more easily resold than the DRI memberships. It might cost a lot to get into the Grand Waikikian, though. It might still be cheaper to buy a resale HGVC membership instead.

I think the updates will be VERY entertaining........ just not informative.

We’ve owned Marriott since 2001. Marriott, of course, has acquired Vistana/Westin/Sheraton brands. I can’t begin to tell you how many stories we’ve been told about “the merger” and how we need to “buy more now” to secure our ability to book across brand lines. To date, nothing has happened with the exception we can make weeks exchanges across brands without paying an exchange fee to IntervalI International. It’s always some obscure date , maybe next quarter, when the “big” announcement will be made. It’s taken them so long that at the last owners update, they didn’t even bring it up.

You will hear all manner of lies coming out of the sales staff’s mouths from both Hilton and DRI. Don’t believe a word of it and just consider it entertainment where they pay you to attend. As for us, we will likely attend a few owners updates now, just to compare what’s being said by the sales staff with other TUG members. As for upgrading...... that’s not likely to happen as we’re well entrenched with Marriott at this time. I would like to see the opportunity to eventually book across brand lines, but I do t expect that to happen until we’re 3 to 5 years down the line, if it ever actually happens.

I look forward to all the update threads from TUGGERS who attend an owners update. We have no plans to visit a HGVC resort until 2022, so I’ll be starved for all the stories being told around the round table. I hope everyone posts their experiences and compensation.

tlguinn_2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have three timeshares that are with DRI. I have never used them through Diamond but have always used RCI. There are some HGVC properties that I could never get using RCI. Will it be easier to get them now using HGVC?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We left DRI in 2016 because their management fees were higher than HGVC but their resort quality was considerably lower in most cases. The knock on HGVC is that they specialized in Vegas, Orlando, Oahu and the Big Island. Great resorts but little diversity. They’ve tried to expand that diversity and have added locations, just not enough

I’ll post some photo albums of our HGVC stays for comparison purposes

Vegas: Elara

Vegas: Las Vegas Blv location

Hawaii Big Island: The Bay Club

Hawaii Oahu: Grand Waikikian

Hawaii Oahu: Hilton Hawaiian Village Lagoon Tower
Welcome back, Doug ! You and DRI were meant to be

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have three timeshares that are with DRI. I have never used them through Diamond but have always used RCI. There are some HGVC properties that I could never get using RCI. Will it be easier to get them now using HGVC?

Depends on the resort. There are some that are very hard for HGVC members to book. The SW Florida Resoffs, Hilton Head, ski weeks in Park City and Breckinridge and Oahu are hard to book in club season.