• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wanting to try a new destination this summer. Thoughts?

thickey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello. We typically go to the beach in the summer, usually Hilton Head. We thought maybe this summer 2020, we'd try going somewhere new. We are a family of 4, kids are 19 and 22, and still travel with us (so far!).
We like to explore, do moderate hiking, biking, shop, eat at fun places, etc. Hilton Head can be HOT in the summers, so someplace not as hot might be good! We have thought about Sedona, etc. but think it could be too hot. Colorado sounds nice. Is there an area with plenty to do in the summer?
Any thoughts for us? We enjoy Marriott and the like. We live in east Tennessee, and can fly or drive depending on distance.
Thanks Tuggers.

Last edited:

jonmaiman

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about Acadia National Park and Coastal Maine? Gorgeous scenery, good food scene, hiking and biking, and shopping... Unfortunately I don't think there are any MVC's in the area so you would need alternate accommodations.

--Jon

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Try Rocky Mountain National Park - we stayed on the west side (Granby) which is less touristy so if you prefer more dining and other options, try Estes Park on the east side.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
This may sound odd but maybe Aruba as the temperature is 80's year round with lots of dining/beach/water and there are 2 MVCs and there is moderate hiking in a desert type landscape. Maui also has plenty of hiking and good weather in the summer.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
St Thomas with a day trip to St John's. The Marriott Frenchmans Cove is a really nice resort. You can check out my website below for pics and videos. Many great beaches on SST but especially on St. Johns. Trunk Bay Beach is probably the nicest beach I've seen and I've been on beaches from Montauk to Maui.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Sedona isn’t as hot in June. July and August can be 100s.
There’s Lake Tahoe and the CA National Parks near Angels Camp/ Arnold CA. There’s a lot out here

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second Park City, so many things to do, not too hot, plenty of hiking and fun.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Springhill Suites by Marriott will be opening (they say) in September 2020 in Island Park, Idaho about 20 miles from Yellowstone Nat'l Park.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
You could also consider Newport Coast Villas in Southern CA or the resorts in South Lake Tahoe (Stateline).

Best regards.

Mike

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
This may sound odd but maybe Aruba as the temperature is 80's year round with lots of dining/beach/water and there are 2 MVCs and there is moderate hiking in a desert type landscape.

I'm always surprised when people say this. I've only been there once, in August, so I don't have much of a sample size, but when we were there it was in the mid-90s every day, and the humidity was unbearable. I don't mind heat but when it's coupled with high humidity...:eek: We had to leave the pool area by 10 a.m. it was so bad. I would never go there in the summer again.

You could also consider Newport Coast Villas in Southern CA or the resorts in South Lake Tahoe (Stateline).

Newport Coast can be difficult to get in the summer. Every time I've requested a trade for summer, I always got early June, but it was great that time of year and I would vote for that option.

Been to Hawaii a few times in summer and have always loved it there. I've always wanted to try one of the Park City resorts in the summer but haven't (yet).

Just my 2 cents.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been taking most of our summer vacations to Park City, Vail, and Lake Tahoe for several years to get away from the humidity of the Midwest. All have MVC or Ritz timeshares and are great for hiking and outdoor activities. Park City MVC resorts, especially Mountainside can get a little crowded from late June to mid August, but there are plenty of places to go within an hour drive that aren't busy at all. The scenery nearby is similar to the more crowded national parks in the west.

If you really enjoy scenery, I suggest flying to Denver and taking Amtrak's California Zephyr from Denver to Salt Lake City. It is an all day trip and the train travels along the Colorado River for most of the day.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Oahu? We love the Marriott Ko Olina. Peaceful part of the island and you can venture out to the north shore, waikiki, and so many things to see. Something for everyone there or you can just enjoy Ko Olina which is lovely.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been taking most of our summer vacations to Park City, Vail, and Lake Tahoe for several years to get away from the humidity of the Midwest. All have MVC or Ritz timeshares and are great for hiking and outdoor activities. Park City MVC resorts, especially Mountainside can get a little crowded from late June to mid August, but there are plenty of places to go within an hour drive that aren't busy at all. The scenery nearby is similar to the more crowded national parks in the west.

If you really enjoy scenery, I suggest flying to Denver and taking Amtrak's California Zephyr from Denver to Salt Lake City. It is an all day trip and the train travels along the Colorado River for most of the day.
I saw something recently that praised Park City as a great multi-season destination and it got me thinking.

Prooney1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande vista
Desert ridge
DC points
We also do Hilton head almost every year with our 2 sons, 14 and 18. This past July we decided to spend a week in park city as a bit of a change. We also spent a couple nights in Moab, and then 4-5 nights in Jackson Hole. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip, as did our boys. Plenty of outdoor exploring, rafting, activities. And the weather was amazing

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Consider Breckenridge or Vail. There are many things to do (hiking, boating, cycling, horseback riding, white water rafting, golf, etc.), including day trips to Denver (maybe see a Colorado Rockies game or visit the Coors Brewery), Estes Park, Royal Gorge, Leadville or Grand Lake, Glenwood Springs (beautiful outdoor hot springs pool). The towns themselves are great, with many bars and restaurants, beautiful small rivers (creeks) running through them. Lots of things for kids, including great playgrounds, library activities, and all sorts of things to do on top of them mountain. We are kind of biased in favor of Breck, we have been spending a July week there for years.

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
I concur with the park city or Tahoe suggestions. Also if you were going to exchange band and whistler in Canada are also great.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Tahoe is very very busy in the summer. If you like sitting in traffic and crowds Tahoe would be great. September, October, and November are much better IMHO your mileage may vary. Newport Beach, Park City and Hawaii would be better choices.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would look at the Marriott in Branson. I've not been, but a close friend went in the summer and loved it.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would look at the Marriott in Branson. I've not been, but a close friend went in the summer and loved it.

But note Branson can be quite hot in summer and OP didn't want that. But we do love Branson. It's also very crowded in summer. But a great place for kids and adults. Sitting in Branson typing this!

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are usually some good getaway prices for the Hyatt in Beaver Creek, Colorado. We got a three bedroom the last 2 years for my daughter and her family (three teenagers). They love it and the units are really nice.

thickey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We do love Branson, but we've been several times, so looking for something different. Thanks for the suggestion.

thickey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI. We will probably trade our Marriott Willow Ridge (Branson) for this vacation. Looks like Park City is a strong possibility. Flights are a bit expensive, but not out of the question. Still considering. I appreciate the feedback so far!