• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana, Westin & Sheraton Deedback program

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The US Virgin Islands are a protectorate of the United States, but they are not one of the fifty United States of America ...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks, Brian. I was aware as we covered this earlier in the thread....but what properties are covered keeps getting asked, and the answer always "properties in the US". The US Virgin Islands are in the US, follow US law and have their own US Federal Court so I think it would be reasonable for someone to interpret that to be included in the generic response.

As an aside, I don't quite understand why WSJ would be excluded given the above (other than Vistana/MVC lack of interest in picking up inventory at the property). There is no complicated registration or title procedure (like could be the case for foreign properties). It seems like Vistana has excluded it just because they can defend it by saying it's not in the "States." The whole thing smacks of bs; the whole purpose of the programs are to relieve those uninterested or unable to pay their maintenance fees. I see no legitimate reason for excluding ANY properties. They've done the legwork to be able to sell in all these jurisdictions, they should be able to do the legwork to take a deedback if they actually care about making the industry healthy.
I think the issue with WSJ is that they haven't yet added those weeks to the Westin Flex trust, so they don't want to take something back that is hard to resell again and has a high annual MF. Once they get them in to the trust in an ongoing basis, I would suspect buybacks for WSJ to start up. It took Marriott a few years after DC Trust inception for them to start adding Frenchman's Cove weeks to the DC Trust. Perhaps some other legal hurdles to go through with timeshares there before they can be added to a US based land trust.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, has anyone been refused for an annual week, with no loan and dues paid up, in the US? (I'm still not clear about every-other-year weeks -- one person said theirs was taken back, and other people say theirs was refused.)

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
So, has anyone been refused for an annual week, with no loan and dues paid up, in the US? (I'm still not clear about every-other-year weeks -- one person said theirs was taken back, and other people say theirs was refused.)
Me in November 2019, SVV. They said we are not taking any more, pay the 2020 MF and try again.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Dauphine

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Princeville-Vistana
Hello I could use some quick feedback from one of you knowledgeable folks. We bought an annual lock off unit at Princeville in 2014 but have never gone back due to several circumstances. We have been pressured to buy into the flex at other resorts but have resisted investing any more money. We just signed at Vistana Villages to convert this into Sheraton flex with an investment of some additional funds, getting a modest number of new options, 3 Star Elite status, and 99K hotel points, with about a 15% reduction in our high maintenance fee. It makes sense for us to have better access on the East Coast, and the possibility of using some Marriott properties, so the flex seemed to have appeal for us, although investing more money to do so is painful. The rep made some of the same arguments that are mentioned in this thread as far as the advisability to get into the flex due to the upcoming changes with Marriott, which they conceded not to be finalized as yet, which was a factor in our decision. We have been able to book the resorts we want because we go off peak. Our kids aren't interested in the timeshare so my concern is 10 years down the road we won't be able to get out of this commitment in some reasonable manner, and having the flex might exacerbate this situation. So, am I overstating the risk of no exit option, or do we hold onto the Princeville deeded option for now? Are we more likely to be able to dispose of the deeded property, even though Princeville is not too appealing? We have only have about 4 days to call off this purchase. Thanks!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
After requesting the deed back directly by telephone, it took about 3 weeks to receive the fed ex package from Vistana. I had it notarized, and immediately sent it back. I never heard anything else from them, however when I checked my account, both properties were no longer listed. I do no know about being able to still use the property, but I sincerely doubt it, and I was just happy to have them gone, since it was so hard to book the vacation I wanted. Best wishes!
What did you own at WKV? They prob don’t need much inventory in Orlando for flex. They have enough I’m sure

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Me in November 2019, SVV. They said we are not taking any more, pay the 2020 MF and try again.

Is it mandatory?

winstoda

Reaction score
Thank you all for all the great information in this thread. I reached out via email and after about a week received a response that my every other year Sheraton Vistana Resort contract was eligible for a deed back. Current year fees are paid up and I’ll retain my usage reservation for later this year. Very happy!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

It's common for developers who accept deed backs to not accept them after October unless you prepay the following years MF's. Although they can get the deed back done in 3-4 weeks; if you don't get the paper work notarized quickly or there is some hiccup in the deeding process it can take 8 weeks or more and then the developer would immediately be responsible.

Wyndham is an exception because of the monthly MF's.

As people realize MF will soon be due, they probably start getting 3-4 times as many requests which would also slow the process down. Vistana lets you use the week once you pay the fees but you want to use it sooner rather than later and no later than 8-10 weeks before the end of the year.

If you are thinking about doing a deed back in 2020 you will want to start it sooner rather than later.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello I could use some quick feedback from one of you knowledgeable folks. We bought an annual lock off unit at Princeville in 2014 but have never gone back due to several circumstances. We have been pressured to buy into the flex at other resorts but have resisted investing any more money. We just signed at Vistana Villages to convert this into Sheraton flex with an investment of some additional funds, getting a modest number of new options, 3 Star Elite status, and 99K hotel points, with about a 15% reduction in our high maintenance fee. It makes sense for us to have better access on the East Coast, and the possibility of using some Marriott properties, so the flex seemed to have appeal for us, although investing more money to do so is painful. The rep made some of the same arguments that are mentioned in this thread as far as the advisability to get into the flex due to the upcoming changes with Marriott, which they conceded not to be finalized as yet, which was a factor in our decision. We have been able to book the resorts we want because we go off peak. Our kids aren't interested in the timeshare so my concern is 10 years down the road we won't be able to get out of this commitment in some reasonable manner, and having the flex might exacerbate this situation. So, am I overstating the risk of no exit option, or do we hold onto the Princeville deeded option for now? Are we more likely to be able to dispose of the deeded property, even though Princeville is not too appealing? We have only have about 4 days to call off this purchase. Thanks!

Rescind immediately! Follow the instruction exactly. Send your letter U.S. Express mail, return receipt requested.

You can pick up some Flex points for free if you really want some. Your Princeville can probably be sold for cash.

We "have resisted investing any more money. " Your impulse there was correct. Stick to it. Do NOT throw good money after bad!

shorep

Reaction score
The last 'presentation' we attended was at Vistana,Orlando,Marriots people gave a run down of the merger, Vistana at the bottom of white board in terms of value and Marriots at the top of the board as the premier product, we were given the impression that Marriots had taken charge rather than a merger.Did not buy what was on offer, Vistana options to full Marriot system,I suppose,(even after the 'manager' appeared), and we left, after 3hours(30 minutes of your time!!),none the wiser with our dollar loaded credit card, which we promptly spent in Orlando malls!!Anybody else confused by recent presentations since the Marriot/Vistana tie up.?

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was surprised today when I contacted MVWC about a deedback on our EOY, Silver Week at SDO. I figured they wouldn't do it but within an hour I received an email that said they will and to give them all the info. Was pretty happy about that.

tinkerbell2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a EOY SBP 2BR LO that I wish to get rid of . Any chance they will take it back ?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I finally got a response. I agreed to do the deedback program, was given 7 days to reply. I have to pay a yr of fees and Vistana takes ownership 2022 since we are EOYE.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I finally got a response. I agreed to do the deedback program, was given 7 days to reply. I have to pay a yr of fees and Vistana takes ownership 2022 since we are EOYE.
Glad to see this. I know you'd been trying for some time.

Bird01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast
Marriott Canyon Villas
Shadow Ridge
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Steamboat
Westin Riverfront
Grand Lodge Peak 7
Seems a fair way to do it.

tinkerbell2

TUG Member
Reaction score
same for me , they accepted the deed back as long as annual dues are paid. Thanks TUG !
Quick question : they are asking that I get the papers notarized at US embassy ( I live in Canada ) ... I live 10 hours away ! I don't understand why they don't accept Canadian notary.... anyone with similar experience ?

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
pleased to see more and more successes!

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
same for me , they accepted the deed back as long as annual dues are paid. Thanks TUG !
Quick question : they are asking that I get the papers notarized at US embassy ( I live in Canada ) ... I live 10 hours away ! I don't understand why they don't accept Canadian notary.... anyone with similar experience ?
Yup US embassy or consulate. They do online booking of appointments. Im in Ottawaso it was great. Alternatively, drive across the border to the closest UPS etc you can find one googling.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
There should be a consulate closer than that. We had to go to the YYC consulate to sign the deed for our purchase of a week last year. Actual process is easy once you are there. Just a pain in the butt.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They won't accept Canadian notary because the law for property deed transfers in the US (not just Vistana, and not just timeshares) requires notarization by US notary.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
They won't accept Canadian notary because the law for property deed transfers in the US (not just Vistana, and not just timeshares) requires notarization by US notary.
we haven't had any problems with Canadian notary on our resale purchases of SVV and WLR(not deeded)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
we haven't had any problems with Canadian notary on our resale purchases of SVV and WLR(not deeded)
Only the seller has to have a deed notarized. WLR may not need it at all since it isn't deeded. I don't know. When you go to sell or do a deed back on SVV it will require a US notary.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wrong. It depends on the resort / state. My purchases have been 50-50.