• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VIP Early Check-in

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see your point about cancellations going back into inventory at 8AM the next day. This change was the biggest boon imaginable to renters like me.

It just takes checking for inventory from 7am - 11:45pm 7 days a week.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought 1,011,000 from Wyndham, bare minimum to get to VIP Platinum.

What you have done is exactly what I want to do. but with a smaller retail buy... I can get to gold with a 126000 point retail buy and two PIC weeks. But I cant figure out a path to platinum unless I buy 500000 retail points...and I cant justify that expense for the extra 10 gift certs and the increased discount

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
It just takes checking for inventory from 7am - 11:45pm 7 days a week.

You don't need to watch the system if you already have the reservations and just cancel and rebook right away for the discount. Makes everyone else watch for that much time to catch your reservations before you get them back.

Jason

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
You don't need to watch the system if you already have the reservations and just cancel and rebook right away for the discount. Makes everyone else watch for that much time to catch your reservations before you get them back.

Jason

That's it! You got it! On day 60 before check-in, cancel the reservation and about 15 seconds later book the same reservation. I open two windows and run the search once before I cancel so it's ready to go. Plus, if there is the same reservation available, I don't have to sweat out the re-booking.

I've lost exactly one reservation out of maybe sixty re-bookings. That was a 3BR unit at Ocean Walk. Ocean Walk overbooks so my cancellation was sucked up to cover an overbooking.

I rebook several reservations (I just rebooked five at La Belle Maison in New Orleans for the BCS Championship), take the points and book something else (in this case, a 3BR Pres unit next May at Bonnet Creek for a repeat buyer). When that one gets to 60 days, I'll cancel and rebook it. I have ten reservations at La Belle Maison or Avenue Plaza for the NCAA Final Four. Rebooking those will let me get something in mid-summer. I have thirty-seven active reservations in Wyndham's system.

I do check for upgrades whenever I'm in the system but don't even come close to 7 AM to 10 PM. I do work!

Last edited:

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's it! You got it! On day 60 before check-in, cancel the reservation and about 15 seconds later book the same reservation. I open two windows and run the search once before I cancel so it's ready to go. Plus, if there is the same reservation available, I don't have to sweat out the re-booking.

I've lost exactly one reservation out of maybe sixty re-bookings. That was a 3BR unit at Ocean Walk. Ocean Walk overbooks so my cancellation was sucked up to cover an overbooking.

I rebook several reservations (I just rebooked five at La Belle Maison in New Orleans for the BCS Championship), take the points and book something else (in this case, a 3BR Pres unit next May at Bonnet Creek for a repeat buyer). When that one gets to 60 days, I'll cancel and rebook it. I have ten reservations at La Belle Maison or Avenue Plaza for the NCAA Final Four. Rebooking those will let me get something in mid-summer. I have thirty-seven active reservations in Wyndham's system.

I do check for upgrades whenever I'm in the system but don't even come close to 7 AM to 10 PM. I do work!

To maximize your booking discounts especially when doing multiple reservations for busy times also book a 1 bedroom then you get the upgrade benefit as well as the 50% discount.

Jason

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
To maximize your booking discounts especially when doing multiple reservations for busy times also book a 1 bedroom then you get the upgrade benefit as well as the 50% discount.

Jason
So you're saying book five 2BR units and five 1BR units at 13 months? Then at the 60 day point, cancel the 2BR and immediately cancel and rebook the 1BR and grab the upgrade?

Good idea. I did that once but it was an accident!

Last edited:

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you're saying book five 2BR units and five 1BR units at 13 months? Then at the 60 day point, cancel the 2BR and immediately cancel and rebook the 1BR and grab the upgrade?

Good idea. I did that once but it was an accident!

No I'm saying book 5 - 2 bedrooms and 1 - 1 bedroom. Then first cancel the 1 bedroom and regrab it to get your 50% discount on that. Then cancel 1 of you 2 bedrooms and upgrade the 1 bedroom to the 2. Then repick up the 1 bedroom and repeat through the 5 reservations. At the end you can either let the 1 bedroom go or rent that one as well. This is how I believe it should work. I don't have VIP benefits :( , I am a resale owner. Doing it this way wont cost as many carry points from 13 months to 60 days.

Jason

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okay, I got it. I'll probably screw it up but I got it!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably best not to talk about this on a public message board.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
They teach this technique at owner updates in an effort to sell more VIP ownerships

rrlongwell

Reaction score
They teach this technique at owner updates in an effort to sell more VIP ownerships

Ron is right, this is a major sales pitch at numerous locations, in varying verisons, for buying. It is absolutly a authorized release of the benifit by the Sales Staff. This pitch is usally done in conjunction with the buy more to rent either through extra holidays, or through the site sales staff, or on your own. The ending pitch of this line is use half the points for free and the other half that are rented will pay for the ones you use. I do not know if this works or not.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron is right, this is a major sales pitch at numerous locations for buying. It is absolutly a authorized release of the benifit by the Sales Staff. This pitch is usally done in conjunction with the buy more to rent either through extra holidays, or through the site sales staff, or on yourr own.

That does not mean the sales people actually think people will do it. Or that they care if Wyndham changes the rules. They will just change their approach and continue selling.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
That does not mean the sales people actually think people will do it. Or that they care if Wyndham changes the rules. They will just change their approach and continue selling.

I agree. Heck, they are still telling people they can get any week for 28K through RCI. Besides, what sales will pitch in order to sell you more points may be quite different than what corporate is willing to tolerate, especially things that become widely touted on public forums. Drawing too much attention to a loophole is often a good way to get it closed.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enhancing Value of Ownership

Drawing too much attention to a loophole is often a good way to get it closed.

I'm not saying you're wrong. You are right. But, you should be wrong! This shouldn't be a loophole. It should be an policy intended to reward owners with substantial investments.

Wyndham needs sales, that is well understood. The best way to increase sales is to increase the value of ownership. If all the representations sales people make were actually the way things work, Wyndham would have no problem making sales. They would sell more contracts and fewer people would have buyer's remorse. Plugging this loophole would markedly decrease the value of my ownership. I would have to increase my asking prices and would rent fewer weeks.

RCI's should allow people to rent exchanges. I've done it but got threatening letters from RCI. Why does RCI care what we do with an exchange? If we know we can rent an exchange, we might by more points with the idea of banking points we can't use. We should be able to bank cancelled points.

There's a lot more.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the renting of rci exchanges were allowed all the good weeks would be cherry picked.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If the renting of rci exchanges were allowed all the good weeks would be cherry picked.

It seems they already are - for RCI rentals! Why shouldn't owners who supply the inventory get the same right or everyone - INCLUDING RCI - should be prohibited from renting. As it is it's totally a one way street with owners the biggest losers. Make it fair and equal.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
It seems they already are - for RCI rentals! Why shouldn't owners who supply the inventory get the same right or everyone - INCLUDING RCI - should be prohibited from renting. As it is it's totally a one way street with owners the biggest losers. Make it fair and equal.

Especially when RCI gets an additional fee for guest passes.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

Aren't they all cherry picked anyway?...isnt that what you are doing when you pick a week for yourself, ie looking for the best ones for yourself and leaving the rest for me....Whats the difference whether you get that week I wanted, or someone else gets it to rent...either way its not there for me, or anyone else...its been cherry picked

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is not something that owners would like. Individual owners would suffer even more. Owners always have the option of not depositing with RCI.