• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VIP Early Check-in

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
VIPs are supposed to be able to check in at 2 PM instead of the normal 4 PM check-in time. We've done it on occasion but have also run into the situation where the receptionist said in effect, "We don't do that here." Basically, that resort opted out of a Wyndham policy.

What is your experience?

rrlongwell

Reaction score
VIPs are supposed to be able to check in at 2 PM instead of the normal 4 PM check-in time. We've done it on occasion but have also run into the situation where the receptionist said in effect, "We don't do that here." Basically, that resort opted out of a Wyndham policy.

What is your experience?

Have run into various VIP Benifits that were not provided at a number of resorts. Wyndham Corporate advised me awhile ago that it is optional whether or not Wyndham Managed resorts honor VIP Benifits. This pertained primarily to newspapers. The competing interests, as it was explained to me by other Wynhdam Staff is that the papers that were supposed to be given to VIP Members at one resort were given to the sales staff as a benny and at one or two other ones they are just sold to guests. I have also noticed at a couple of resorts that VIP Check-In and Out were eliminated. Most recent was at Wyndham Skyline Tower. The area it used to be at was being manned but the VIP signs were gone and they were taking who ever was next in line. Also, although not limited to VIP Guests, a couple of times I have been advised that the paid valet service at Skyline Tower, does not include putting the luggage in the trunk (I do tip both for the unload and the loading of the trunk (if the service is provided).

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
sounds like another of the VIP benefits is slipping away

Not that its worth the money for a developer purchase, but more than once Ive been envious of my VIP friend. Shes all moved in and enjoying a drink by the pool and Im just checking in...I know she will be upset if she has to wait the extra time before checking in, like the rest of us

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
sounds like another of the VIP benefits is slipping away

Not that its worth the money for a developer purchase, but more than once Ive been envious of my VIP friend. Shes all moved in and enjoying a drink by the pool and Im just checking in...I know she will be upset if she has to wait the extra time before checking in, like the rest of us

We were never VIP designated and never waited any longer than they did if a unit was available. In fact we got priority in at least one case when the "VIP" raised a real ruckus about "her rights" to a unit while we stood by. They asked us to come back in 30 minutes - we did - and got assigned the penthouse! Later (at 4PM) we saw her again at the desk complaining that she wasn't getting the unit she wanted. I can only hope we were the ones already in it....

VIP is not guaranteed, isn't worth 5 cents and is basically little more than a sales pitch. We who refuse to get involved are the winners in the game IMO. Those who had it from the early years when resales were qualified can & should use it to the maximum possible - but no one should ever pay an extra $10 for it as you'll likely never get it back.

In fact we just checked in at Nashville this week (on a rental of course) and got in the VIP line early & were assigned a unit without a question. It is truly a meaningless designation and another big waste of money. (And time here on TUG with all the unneeded questions about it. Unless you seriously overpay today you cannot get it so it is a non-factor and should be treated like any other sales pitch - ignore it)

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were never VIP designated and never waited any longer than they did if a unit was available. In fact we got priority in at least one case when the "VIP" raised a real ruckus about "her rights" to a unit while we stood by. They asked us to come back in 30 minutes - we did - and got assigned the penthouse! Later (at 4PM) we saw her again at the desk complaining that she wasn't getting the unit she wanted. I can only hope we were the ones already in it....

VIP is not guaranteed, isn't worth 5 cents and is basically little more than a sales pitch. We who refuse to get involved are the winners in the game IMO. Those who had it from the early years when resales were qualified can & should use it to the maximum possible - but no one should ever pay an extra $10 for it as you'll likely never get it back.

In fact we just checked in at Nashville this week (on a rental of course) and got in the VIP line early & were assigned a unit without a question. It is truly a meaningless designation and another big waste of money. (And time here on TUG with all the unneeded questions about it. Unless you seriously overpay today you cannot get it so it is a non-factor and should be treated like any other sales pitch - ignore it)

You always make a few good points but have no idea.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Whether VIP status was worth the cost is moot, at least for us. We bought just enough points to get VIP Platinum, then went to the resale market for the next 2 million points. My point is, we have VIP status. We're not talking about achieving VIP status.

There are some "benefits" that accrue to VIP owners and individual resorts shouldn't be able to opt out with a mere, "We don't do that here." (I know, call ahead.)

Most of the bennies at resorts are trivial. The VIP check-in is a crock, as has been pointed out, and I'm not a big USA Today fan. However, when you arrive at a resort expecting to check in at 2 PM, it is annoying to be told they don't do that.

This is not to say that there are no useful benefits to being VIP. Being able to book at 60 days with a 50% discount is a tremendous benefit. Plus, I basically don't worry about guest confirmations or housekeeping credits. I only run out if I mismanage.

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
A number of people appear to be VIP owners that participate in Tugs. I do not see any particular problem with the VIP folks participating.

For the last poster: Does the VIP discounts apply towards your resale units since the account is already VIP?

Last edited by a moderator:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For the last poster: Does the VIP discounts apply towards your resale units since the account is already VIP?

Yes, absolutely. I have seen no difference in the utility of my resale points and those purchased from Wyndham.

There are some who say they achieved VIP status by purchasing only resale contracts. I don't doubt it has happened, maybe because it was a while ago or because someone made a mistake. It is not supposed to happen now.

rrlongwell

Reaction score

Yes, absolutely. I have seen no difference in the utility of my resale points and those purchased from Wyndham.

There are some who say they achieved VIP status by purchasing only resale contracts. I don't doubt it has happened, maybe because it was a while ago or because someone made a mistake. It is not supposed to happen now.

Thanks. I have heard the same thing from a couple of places on some re-sale contracts getting VIP eligable points. That may depend on various thing like if they are the really old contracts, loctions etc. The two that I have heard of from Wyndham Staff are sometimes that will take re-sale contracts back from a Wynhdam Owner if they buy additional points and the equilvant of the re-sale points and a different program, I think they call it OTP. This is a program where a owner has a morgage and it has defaulted. Wyndham may faciliate a sale where the new owner pays all back due monies etc. Wyndham does not actually take title to the timeshare then sells it to you, they just arrange the sale and these points are then VIP eligable.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You always make a few good points but have no idea.

No idea about what? That TODAY spending to get VIP borders on the insane? Or that those that have it, whenever they got it including those lucky enough to have it from the day when resale qualified, should use it? That it isn't transferrable therefore carries zero resale value? That paying thousands or tens of thousands for a "free" newspaper, possible early check in that anyone can get, for a potential points savings on leftover time or a cheap gust certificate will cover those thousands in up front expense? In what lifetime?

Trust me, I get the "idea". It is pure sales BS now meant to appeal to the "I need to feel special" crowd and nothing more TODAY. As often repeated if you have it use it. But realize that NOW trying to obtain it , due to cost, is a losers play.

thommer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm VIP Gold Only bought 168,000 Bi Annual points from Wyndham. they only count 84,000 points toward Gold.

Have 254,000 PIC points from a resale purchase prior to Wyndham at purchase of above resort in Hawaii they included and count toward VIP.

Have purchased 2 resales. 1 is affiliated resorts they counted toward Gold. It put me over 500,000 points.

One is a High End Hawaii Royal Sea Cliff resort very expensive annuals but they would not count them towards VIP because they were resale.

Apparently Wyndham can not tell if affiliated resorts are purchased retail or resale.

In the grand scheme of things this makes no sense to me. The resort I pay the most annual fees for does not count toward VIP but all of my other resorts do.

In a timeshare update ( I hate timeshare updates and rarely go, I send guests I bring along) we tried to trade in our resale unit, but the sales manager told our salesperson that under no circumstances do they trade in resale units.

Not necessarily an answer to any of above questions just my experience.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I'm VIP Gold Only bought 168,000 Bi Annual points from Wyndham. they only count 84,000 points toward Gold.

Have 254,000 PIC points from a resale purchase prior to Wyndham at purchase of above resort in Hawaii they included and count toward VIP.

Have purchased 2 resales. 1 is affiliated resorts they counted toward Gold. It put me over 500,000 points.

One is a High End Hawaii Royal Sea Cliff resort very expensive annuals but they would not count them towards VIP because they were resale.

Apparently Wyndham can not tell if affiliated resorts are purchased retail or resale.

In the grand scheme of things this makes no sense to me. The resort I pay the most annual fees for does not count toward VIP but all of my other resorts do.

In a timeshare update ( I hate timeshare updates and rarely go, I send guests I bring along) we tried to trade in our resale unit, but the sales manager told our salesperson that under no circumstances do they trade in resale units.

Not necessarily an answer to any of above questions just my experience.

Thanks for the update.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Anyone know what is happening at the Shawnee Mountain Resorts in Pa.? I have two upcoming reservations at the resort. They indicated that there was some sort of parting of the ways with them and Wynhdam. Called Wyndham. They gave the names of the four Wynhdam resorts (all right by each other) that they would not get involved with their decisions. The resort indicated they are no longer taking requests for specific rooms for Wynhdam VIP Members.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what is happening at the Shawnee Mountain Resorts in Pa.? I have two upcoming reservations at the resort. They indicated that there was some sort of parting of the ways with them and Wynhdam. Called Wyndham. They gave the names of the four Wynhdam resorts (all right by each other) that they would not get involved with their decisions. The resort indicated they are no longer taking requests for specific rooms for Wynhdam VIP Members.

VIP is a meaningless sales perk. Do you need more proof than the fact that a resort can pick & chose if they even honor it?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VIP is a meaningless sales perk. Do you need more proof than the fact that a resort can pick & chose if they even honor it?

VIP may not be worth much to you but that is a subjective valuation. Forget the newspaper and early check-in -- those are trivial annoyances but nothing more.

I don't have to count housekeeping points or transactions or pay for guest confirmations, hardly meaningless perks but not the best part.

I rented or used thirty-one Wyndham reservations in 2011. All but one got a 50% discount. That means my 3 million points was worth almost 6 million. That's not meaningless!

rrlongwell

Reaction score
...I rented or used thirty-one Wyndham reservations in 2011. All but one got a 50% discount. That means my 3 million points was worth almost 6 million. That's not meaningless!

I went over 1 year all on the VIP discount. Am still going strong. This fall got a little tricky for what I wanted but I did get them. Granted I am under one of the exections referenced in the subject post. Is it worth new purchases? I do not know. I guess it depends on the market and inflation does over the years. P.S. do not forget the newspaper, it is a classy touch.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
VIP may not be worth much to you but that is a subjective valuation. Forget the newspaper and early check-in -- those are trivial annoyances but nothing more.

I don't have to count housekeeping points or transactions or pay for guest confirmations, hardly meaningless perks but not the best part.

I rented or used thirty-one Wyndham reservations in 2011. All but one got a 50% discount. That means my 3 million points was worth almost 6 million. That's not meaningless!

If we assume you bought all your 3 million points retail than you paid something in the neighborhood of $400000 and your mf is about $15000 a year and you get the use of 6000000 points

If I buy 6000000 points on the resale market. Ill probably be able to do it under $50000 or a $350000 savings

Of course my mf will be double yours or about $30000 a year Ill take the $350000 I saved and invest it at 4.3% and earn enough each year to pay the difference

I know that you can get to platinum without buying all your points retail. for example, you could buy 500000 points retail and PIC 2 three bedroom red units (500000 points) and buy the next 2 million on the secondary market to match your 3000000 points,

My point is that as valuable as a platinum VIP ownership is; its not worth paying retail prices to get it

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Several years ago, you could PIC 4 weeks. Several years before that, you could PIC even more weeks.

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
If we assume you bought all your 3 million points retail than you paid something in the neighborhood of $400000 and your mf is about $15000 a year and you get the use of 6000000 points

If I buy 6000000 points on the resale market. Ill probably be able to do it under $50000 or a $350000 savings

Of course my mf will be double yours or about $30000 a year Ill take the $350000 I saved and invest it at 4.3% and earn enough each year to pay the difference

I know that you can get to platinum without buying all your points retail. for example, you could buy 500000 points retail and PIC 2 three bedroom red units (500000 points) and buy the next 2 million on the secondary market to match your 3000000 points,

My point is that as valuable as a platinum VIP ownership is; its not worth paying retail prices to get it

At the 3 million point level, you could have a wife and child each have a Platium account. That would then be three Platinium Accounts and 6 PIC Weeks.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
So Linda Do I get your point;

A wyndham owner at the 3 million point level is probably renting his points as a business. And as a business the return on the investment of time and money sucks

The only way to make it work as a business is at all is with a Platinum ownership and even then its probably not worth the capital investment

And if we were to answer the question: Does it make sense to become a Platinum VIP today (even if you do it by PICing weeks)..the answer is probably not

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I bought 1,011,000 from Wyndham, bare minimum to get to VIP Platinum.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At the 3 million point level, you could have a wife and child each have a Platium account. That would then be three Platinium Accounts and 6 PIC Weeks.

If I had bought 3 million points from Wyndham, I guess you'd be right.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

A wyndham owner at the 3 million point level is probably renting his points as a business. And as a business the return on the investment of time and money sucks

The only way to make it work as a business is at all is with a Platinum ownership and even then its probably not worth the capital investment

And if we were to answer the question: Does it make sense to become a Platinum VIP today (even if you do it by PICing weeks)..the answer is probably not

You got it. Wyndham won the war on Megarenters being an internet business by changing the rules. They cut off the value of 4 (started as unlimited) cheap MF weeks being PIC'ed by limiting them to 2 and each must have a developer purchase, limiting free guest certificates, no more 8AM listing for yesterday's cancelled weeks, and inside the 14 day cancelled reservations become NO POINTs saved.

There were several years ago, several MegaRenters on TUG were pulling in $60-100,000+ yearly rental Wyndham vacations.

But to be fair, was it all the Wyndham changes made or the economy?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

A wyndham owner at the 3 million point level is probably renting his points as a business. And as a business the return on the investment of time and money sucks.

But think how much more it would suck if I couldn't make reservations at 50%!

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
no more 8AM listing for yesterday's cancelled weeks

But to be fair, was it all the Wyndham changes made or the economy?

I don't see your point about cancellations going back into inventory at 8AM the next day. This change was the biggest boon imaginable to renters like me.

I think it is as much the economy as anything. Lots of people aren't going as far or as often as they used to. Lots of other people aren't going at all.

SORRY!! I kicked this one -- should have been a multi-quote.

Last edited: