• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vintage Kitchen Appliances

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Has anyone else ever had to finally admit that some old appliance had seen its better days or had to be thrown out because it just didn't work right any more?

We had a wonderful skillet/broiler combo that was actually the second one I had owned. The first, my mom gave to me back in the early 80's. She she passed away in 1995, I acquired hers which was hardly used. I threw out my old one.

Well in our last household move in 2008, my DH and I agreed that "hers" was now no longer capable of functioning properly so we threw it out. We almost immediately regretted it, as we assumed we could easily replace it. WRONG!

Having spent a couple of years looking at Kohl's, Target and even upper end department stores, we gave up. We did try to find one on the internet or eBay but unfortunately we were distracted in our search because I thought it was a West Bend appliance. That is . . . until yesterday!

I found out through a Google search of "skillet broilers" and combing through more than 500 listings, what we had was a Hamilton Beach. Low & behold, there were TWO of them on eBay!

:whoopie: So happy days are ahead, as after a $40 spend, a "new" one is on its way to us today! HURRAY for all of those people who never throw anything away!

p.s. You know these things are vintage when they only came in harvest gold or avocado green. :hysterical:

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a magnificently avocado electric knife that I got at a garage sale. I never had one before I got this one. I love it!

We also just picked up a harvest gold electric can opener at a bazaar, still in its original box, for our left-handed child who could never learn to operate a regular hand-cranked can opener.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have and use a waffle iron and a Hamilton Beach mixer, both from the '30s, and our hosts at Thanksgiving carved the turkey with an electric knife that sounds like WackyMother's. Can't remember if it was harvest gold or avocado green, but definitely one of those :). My harvest gold blender is an Osterizer Galaxie, complete with 60s stars and comets. I've also got some Club Aluminum pans - wonderful stuff. I've got lots more oldies but goodies that my dad (the cook in our family) used for decades, and I use some of them daily.

I AM going to get one of those pie makers, though - Heathpack's thread has had me wanting one for months!

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year I got a Vitamix blender (avocado green base) at a garage sale for $2. It came in the original shipping box. We just used it for the first time at Thanksgiving after my KitchenAid blender keeled over.

I'm not sure the seal at the bottom of the blender container is good; I think the gasket is shot, and you can't get the right ones for this particular model from Vitamix anymore. I'm going to try wrapping a rubber band around the bottom tightly, a trick an older friend taught me years ago.

But I envy your stars-and-planets blender!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fun stuff!

I did do some more searching on eBay as I have a ToastMaster waffle iron I just love that is about 35 years old and about due to be replaced.

Also, I have the original set of Club Aluminum pots & pans I bought when I first moved away from my family home in 1975. Some of those are also going for a premium buck on eBay. (I love the turquoise blue . . . mine is harvest gold of course.)

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had my MIL's GE waffle iron from the 1960s till a few years back, when I finally bought a Caphalon No-Peek. I have to tell you...the Caphalon is FANTASTIC. The plates are non-stick, it heats really evenly, and the waffles are terrific. So when the time comes for your ToastMaster to go to that big waffle iron graveyard in the sky...

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I have the original set of Club Aluminum pots & pans I bought when I first moved away from my family home in 1975. Some of those are also going for a premium buck on eBay. (I love the turquoise blue . . . mine is harvest gold of course.)

Whoa! My MIL just begged us once again to take her old Club Aluminum pots. Now I have to look and see if hers are eBayable. I think they're no color, though--just aluminum color.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
My mother had a small collection of Hazel Atlas State glasses hidden away in a cupboard when my sister and I were growing up. Needless to say, most of what she had didn't survive my sister and I when we rummaged. After my mother passed away I used eBay to complete her set. I now have all 48 (no AK/HI) in a mix of green, yellow and pink. :)

$(KGrHqZ,!i!E6Qunzeh7BOvG09cThw~~60_12.JPG

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whoops - Guardian Service not Club Aluminum!

I just took a look at my vintage aluminum, and realized it was actually Guardian Service.

When we were cleaning out our parents' kitchen and garage I took some b/c I love the way they cook - unfortunately I skipped the big deep pan with the domed glass lid
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUARDIAN-SE...ultDomain_0&hash=item20bfed528e#ht_500wt_1284
and someone else in the family took it or it went to the Goodwill. Either way, I hope whoever has it appreciates it :)

Our big find at a flea market at a car show, of all places, was the clip-on handle that is interchangeable among several handle-less pieces
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guardian-Se...ltDomain_0&hash=item19c9bfc0e9#ht_1276wt_1141
We didn't have the handle and weren't even looking, but it practically jumped out at DH from a blanket on the ground, in the middle of a bunch of vintage junque, for all of 25 cents LOL!

And we got this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foley-Yello...995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51943c1703
at a friend's yard sale for 50 cents about 30 years ago, and use it regularly for draining water from the spaghetti pot.

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whoa! My MIL just begged us once again to take her old Club Aluminum pots. Now I have to look and see if hers are eBayable. I think they're no color, though--just aluminum color.

Go for it - they are great quality!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
My microwave is the one I bought when moving into the first house I bought back in 1984.

My toaster is a Sunbeam which my parents received as a wedding present in 1953.

I have oil lamps mounted on the walls that were my grandparents and date from the turn of the 20th century.

I could go on :D

Heck, the car I ordinarily drive is 47 1/2 years old.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't really need any more pots....I still have my Revere ware!

Me too - is that vintage? :shrug: :shrug:

OMG, am I vintage? :eek:

I got my Revere Ware with cat food can labels in the late 60s early 70s.

My microwave is the one I bought when moving into the first house I bought back in 1984.

My toaster is a Sunbeam which my parents received as a wedding present in 1953.

I have oil lamps mounted on the walls that were my grandparents and date from the turn of the 20th century.

I could go on :D

Heck, the car I ordinarily drive is 47 1/2 years old.

A 1963? What is it?

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mother used to make her own chopped chicken liver ( think Jewish holidays). I still have the old grinder, I guess it could be used for meat or other ground stuff....its metal with a wooden handle, I can't bring myself to get rid of it although I've never used it, Mom died in 1970 at age 53. I had her old Mixmaster, but the blades got bent and I couldn't find replacement ones.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had my MIL's GE waffle iron from the 1960s till a few years back, when I finally bought a Caphalon No-Peek. I have to tell you...the Caphalon is FANTASTIC. The plates are non-stick, it heats really evenly, and the waffles are terrific. So when the time comes for your ToastMaster to go to that big waffle iron graveyard in the sky...

My DH says ours "is just fine" still. LOL. I think he may be more frugile than I am in terms of that sorta stuff. I will keep it in mind when ours does bite the dust.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My mother had a small collection of Hazel Atlas State glasses hidden away in a cupboard when my sister and I were growing up. Needless to say, most of what she had didn't survive my sister and I when we rummaged. After my mother passed away I used eBay to complete her set. I now have all 48 (no AK/HI) in a mix of green, yellow and pink. :)

$(KGrHqZ,!i!E6Qunzeh7BOvG09cThw~~60_12.JPG

VERY cool glasses! I have some old depression era jelly jar glasses that my mom made me promise to never sell. Not sure what they are worth, but for family nostalgia I kept them (packed away somewhere).

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
And we got this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foley-Yello...995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51943c1703
at a friend's yard sale for 50 cents about 30 years ago, and use it regularly for draining water from the spaghetti pot.

PJ,
You just reminded me of another gift idea for my sis. She wants a similar strainer which would work like this on skillets. But, given the dimensions, this would work for skillets as well as sauce pans, large pasta cookware, etc.
I might have to grab it. :)

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me too - is that vintage? :shrug: :shrug:

OMG, am I vintage? :eek:

I got my Revere Ware with cat food can labels in the late 60s early 70s.
People say the "old" Revere ware is thicker and better made than the "new" Revere ware. If you go take a look on eBay, you'll be amazed at the prices people are asking for pots and pans in good condition, especially large ones with lids. I just got a medium-size pan with a lid at a huge flea market in Pennsylvania (near you, probably, PJ :D ) last summer. That was the last piece I really needed b/c we had only a little egg pan and then a giant chicken-fryer pan.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mother used to make her own chopped chicken liver ( think Jewish holidays). I still have the old grinder, I guess it could be used for meat or other ground stuff....its metal with a wooden handle, I can't bring myself to get rid of it although I've never used it, Mom died in 1970 at age 53. I had her old Mixmaster, but the blades got bent and I couldn't find replacement ones.

Is it the kind that clamps on to the edge of the table? My grandmother had one of those and we made cranberry relish with it. I have many fond memories of doing that with her, and the way the cranberries popped when you turned the handle. I think hers had a wooden handle too...I had forgotten that....

They're really great if you ever want to make sausage or chopped liver (like your mom) or cranberry relish (like my grandmother). I would buy one of them if I could find it at a garage sale, but I've never found one.

Do you still have the Mixmaster? I notice on eBay that people sell old appliances for parts, too.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I purchased two of the old oil lamps with mirrors on eBay several years ago to hang in my living room. During power outages they light up the room with enough light to read by.

My mother used to make her own chopped chicken liver ( think Jewish holidays). I still have the old grinder, I guess it could be used for meat or other ground stuff....its metal with a wooden handle, I can't bring myself to get rid of it although I've never used it

I had a meat grinder that I used until I bought my vintage (metal) grinder attachment for my kitchenaid mixer. I use it for hamburger and sausage. Chopped liver gets chopped by hand (Ah! That explains my recent tennis elbow)! The clamp-on grinder was given to the nephew's girlfriend - she's in culinary school. Are you a chopped liver with, or without, hard boiled egg? I prefer without :) I'm forced to make my own - you can't find it anywhere in Seattle.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like those glasses! I like the metal trays with similar graphics, too. I got some at a thrift store years ago and gave them to my office "roomie." We're still friends and she still collects the metal state trays. Here's an example--they're mostly in the $3 range, but this auction had a better picture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-195...012?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2569d13814

Thankfully my mother didn't have any of those! The glasses fill the top of my buffet and have to be dusted!! I also completed my mother's silver and my grandmother's china collections from eBay. That process was a tad more costly :)

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
My parents' good silver was stolen in the 1970s. It had been a gift to them from my grandmother. Fortunately I have no memory of what it looked like, or I would probably be hunting for it on eBay!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My parents' good silver was stolen in the 1970s. It had been a gift to them from my grandmother. Fortunately I have no memory of what it looked like, or I would probably be hunting for it on eBay!

Same outcome with our family silver in 1979 :( As I recall the story behind our set, it was a wedding gift to my parents in 1956.