• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Update: 250] cases Dengue Fever - Big Island

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hawaii Department of Health confirms 10 cases of dengue fever in Big Island involving visitors, residents, CDC testing in progress.

Got this as a News Alert - will post a link.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is Dengue Fever?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
A mosquito borne tropical disease: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

Dengue fever, also known as breakbone fever, is a mosquito-borne tropical disease caused by the dengue virus. Symptoms include fever, headache, muscle and joint pains, and a characteristic skin rash that is similar to measles. In a small proportion of cases, the disease develops into the life-threatening dengue hemorrhagic fever, resulting in bleeding, low levels of blood platelets and blood plasma leakage, or into dengue shock syndrome, where dangerously low blood pressure occurs.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I googled it and found some links to news articles
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...rms-10-cases-of-locally-acquired-dengue-fever

The Health Department has confirmed 10 cases of locally-acquired dengue fever on Hawaii Island.

The 10 people were residents and visitors, said Dr. Sarah Park, state epidemiologist.

Dengue fever is spread by mosquitoes, and the Health Department is focusing its vector control efforts on areas of Kona. However, Park said that cases have been found elsewhere on the island.

Officials said no other islands have reported cases.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I'm going in May but I'm more concerned about the tiger mosquitos spreadng here in California. Get a good repellant with Deet and avoid areas where they are active at sunrise and sunset.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We're going in April and I'm just going to keep an eye on it.

Younger dd keeps telling me not to worry. She was in Thailand where it's not uncommon and didn't have any problems. She did use bug stuff. She tells me it's only a certain kind of mosquito, and just the female. So I'm supposed to be able to identify the type and sex?

Last edited:

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
For sure I will use mosquito repellent next time I go there. I was on the Big Island earlier this year and got attacked by mosquitoes at the botanical gardens. Wearing no repellent and wearing a skirt. :doh:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
She tells me it's only a certain kind of mosquito, and just the female.
That's true. Only some types carry some diseases.

National Geographic says:
"There are more than 3,000 species of mosquitoes, but the members of three bear primary responsibility for the spread of human diseases."
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/bugs/mosquito/

Only female mosquitoes bite and suck blood. And they only do it before they lay eggs. Blood is not the normal food source for mosquitoes.

Again, National Geographic:
" Only female mosquitoes have the mouth parts necessary for sucking blood. When biting with their proboscis, they stab two tubes into the skin: one to inject an enzyme that inhibits blood clotting; the other to suck blood into their bodies. They use the blood not for their own nourishment but as a source of protein for their eggs. For food, both males and females eat nectar and other plant sugars."

I actually learned this from watching an episode of Wild Kratts with my son. He loves that show.

The odd thing about Dengue fever is that the first time you get bit by a mosquito with it you don't usually have any terrible symptoms requiring the hospital. It's the second infection that causes the super painful symptoms. Luckily, if you go to the hospital quickly you're unlikely to suffer long-term consequences.

Here's the CDC website for Dengue with precautionary tips eetc: http://www.cdc.gov/Dengue/

I plan to use plenty of bug repellent when we go to Hawaii. And avoid early morning and late afternoon outdoor time.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh my, and we are heading there on 12/14. (And flying through Chicago)
So if we don't get snowbound at the airport in Chicago,we'll be exposed to Dengue Fever!!!
Hopefully (with reasonable precautions) our first trip to the Big Island will still be fabulous ...fingers crossed !

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Maybe it's time to change the thread title to Dengue Fever outbreak in Hawaii

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

So if we don't get snowbound at the airport in Chicago,we'll be exposed to Dengue Fever!!!

Hopefully (with reasonable precautions) our first trip to the Big Island will still be fabulous ...fingers crossed !

Where are you staying? Looking at the map in the article there are no confirmed cases at the Waikoloa resorts. The cases seem to be south of Kona and Hilo, the wettest areas of the island.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Where are you staying? Looking at the map in the article there are no confirmed cases at the Waikoloa resorts. The cases seem to be south of Kona and Hilo, the wettest areas of the island.

That would be sad if you went to Hawaii and then felt confined to just the areas where there have been no outbreaks.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score

We're at the Bay Club at Waikoloa for a week, then heading to spend 2 nights at Volcano House, then back to Kona for a couple of nights. We'll just carry lots of mosquito repellant and hope for the best !!! :)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Look at it this way. There are about 190K people that permanently live on the Big Island. And about 1.4 million people visit the Big Island each year. And 88 cases of Dengue fever.

It is probably more likely that you will be hit by a bus on the way to your airport than catch Dengue fever (not that I would wish either on you!). Just keep it in perspective.

Kurt

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
. . . We'll just carry lots of mosquito repellant . .

Aloha,
A week or two ago, all retail supplies of DEET based repellents were sold out on the Big Island - all store shelves were empty. Perhaps they have been restocked by now.
Until it is reported that the stores are restocked, it may be a reasonable plan to pack repellent in luggage. We have a non aerosol pump bottle that doesn't weigh much.
Jack

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That would be sad if you went to Hawaii and then felt confined to just the areas where there have been no outbreaks.

I'll take exile at the Waikoloa resort any day :). Just dont send me to Cleveland!

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha,
A week or two ago, all retail supplies of DEET based repellents were sold out on the Big Island - all store shelves were empty. Perhaps they have been restocked by now.
Until it is reported that the stores are restocked, it may be a reasonable plan to pack repellent in luggage. We have a non aerosol pump bottle that doesn't weigh much.
Jack

Thanks...we'll plan on taking some along with us!

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at it this way. There are about 190K people that permanently live on the Big Island. And about 1.4 million people visit the Big Island each year. And 88 cases of Dengue fever.

It is probably more likely that you will be hit by a bus on the way to your airport than catch Dengue fever (not that I would wish either on you!). Just keep it in perspective.

Kurt

Excellent advice...:)

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll take exile at the Waikoloa resort any day :). Just dont send me to Cleveland!

LOL...we are hoping for no additional big storms in Chicago (our connection on the way over)! I could just see spending the holidays on a cot in the airport instead of on Hawaii!

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our son had dengue fever when he was an exchange student in Brazil. He was very sick for a few days, but dengue isn't as scary as it was when we first heard about it. The really bad hemorrhagic dengue fever is quite rare.

I was just at the Travel Medicine clinic to get Japanese Encephalitis and Typhoid immunizations. We talked about the importance of prevention when it comes to mosquito bites. Unfortunately, I am a bug magnet and mossies love me. The best defense is applying DEET with 30-35% concentration, or picaridin with 20% concentration to exposed skin. Pretreating clothes with a permethrin spray like Sawyer - www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-p...D=120217890000854834&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG provides additional protection. Or, you can buy clothing already treated www.orvis.com/p/exoffcio-bugsaway-baja-sur-long-sleeved-shirt/0r02

Maybe some enterprising Hawaiian will come up with a sunscreen/bug spray for total tropical protection?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Kurt

The statistics are true. What is alarming to me, at least, is how much it's spread. I think it started in September and went from 0 to 88. And they're saying that the 88 reported is probably not all of the actual cases. Tourists may get it, but be home by the time the symptoms hit. And some people don't even know they have it, thinking it's flu.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Well maybe. I mean I agree about Cleveland, but personally I'm not sure I'd want to go to the Big Island and see nothing but Waikoloa. That is where we're scheduled to stay for two weeks in April, but I'm sure hoping we won't be confined there. :)