• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Update: 250] cases Dengue Fever - Big Island

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Thinking about cancelling our trip June 2016. My younger son swells up bad from mosquitos bites, never encountered mosquito on other Hawaiian islands...

Still waiting for an exchange but very limited properties in the Waikoloa...hmmm

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Aloha,
A week or two ago, all retail supplies of DEET based repellents were sold out on the Big Island - all store shelves were empty. Perhaps they have been restocked by now.
Until it is reported that the stores are restocked, it may be a reasonable plan to pack repellent in luggage. We have a non aerosol pump bottle that doesn't weigh much.
Jack

Yes, they have restocked. We've been here since Oct 20 so have been here the entire timing of outbreak. Simply sprayed before going out. Some resorts spray too. For example, here at Kona Hawaiian Resort we have only seen small flies, not Mosquitos.

You ll see from my BLOG we spent 3 weeks gardening outside at my brothers house... We have not had a problem.

Just use common sense and spray

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Joan,
That's good to hear...we leave in a week for the Big Island. We did buy a couple of bottles of pump spray Deep Woods Off to bring along just in case!
Deb

pd2yvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV 1 x 6
HGVC Hokulani x 4
Misc Traders x 2
Dengue fever and CDC update

Hi All,

Just checked HawaiiCounty.gov website for an update and as of Dec 04, the 'confirmed' case total stands at 136. There was a short video clip from a CDC Doctor on a Big island news site giving a news briefing yesterday that gave a broader review of the outbreak. He thinks it may go on for a few months. The new cases have not spiked but are relatively consistent on a daily basis.

Proportionately against the population, it is a small number but appears to be in early stages still. Please excercise common sense precautions to reduce your chances of exposure especially if you already have a compromised immune system.

Not the most pleasant subject matter for my first post but it follows the lead that TUG already shows in caring for it's fellow members and travellers.

Paul

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I guess one of the things that concerns me is that I am extremely attractive to mosquitoes. If there is only one around, it will find me. However I will admit I usually don't use any type of repellant, so that might make a big difference.

pd2yvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV 1 x 6
HGVC Hokulani x 4
Misc Traders x 2
You'll want to at least give yourself a fighting chance through protection with repellant, appropriate attire, and being cautious around dawn /dusk. Chances of a bite from the dengue carrying mosquito is still pretty slim. I did see that CNN has carried this story recently.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
We have a trip to the BI planned for June. I am just worried about the unknown long term effects of the Dengue Fever, esp traveling with our teen boys. Who would think that the Mosquito Zika virus would be linked to birth defects, sad. I have an II trade confirmed (with E-plus) and 4 seats with frequent flyer miles. I guess I should decide by mid April, 60 days out...

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
A State of Emergency is usually issued to allow the state to have broader powers (i.e. sending tires to landfills per the article) in a situation like the dengue fever outbreak. It doesn't indicate that the situation is more or less dangerous than already reported.

The CDC still does not recommend altering travel plans based on the data gathered. The amount of cases (1 in the last week) is quite small when compared to the number of visitors that go to the Big Island. I also noted that I am staying in Waikaloa where no detectable risk is shown on the map. (Actually, I am looking to pick up another week at Waikaloa starting 4/2, so maybe cancellations will help my cause :whoopie:)

Of course you need to make your own decisions. I am going in less than 2 months, and don't plan to alter my vacation -- although I do monitor the CDC site to determine that there aren't changes to the situation. IMHO, unless you have other risk factors specific to your situation (i.e. immune disease, staying in a high risk location, etc.), the risk is remote that you will be infected.

Here is the link to the Hawaii Dengue Fever web page:
http://health.hawaii.gov/docd/dengue-outbreak-2015/

-ryan

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were somewhat concerned about this when went in late December. But we sprayed down with mosquito repellant every morning, then just forgot about! Never even saw a mosquito...and I'm very glad we didn't cancel...we had a wonderful time!

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
We were somewhat concerned about this when went in late December. But we sprayed down with mosquito repellant every morning, then just forgot about! Never even saw a mosquito...and I'm very glad we didn't cancel...we had a wonderful time!

What part of the BI did you stay Deb? We have a week in Kona at the Kona Coast Resort. Now I wish I had booked Paniolo Greens in Waikoloa where there are less cases :(

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
We are here now and have been tracking this closely. We brought bug repellent with us and sprayed it on when we go to areas that were marked yellow on the risk map. We've not needed to go to Kona so I can't comment on that, but most of the workers here live in Kona and say people are more tired of hearing about it then concerned about getting it.

It does appear to be burning itself out, based on the new cases trend, and I also would encourage people not to cancel their travel based upon the potential risk. Especially for those who are staying in Waikoloa -- I've not seen any mosquitoes at all this entire trip. We have one excursion Saturday to the east side of the island and we will bring spray.

Best,

Greg

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any issues on the other islands?

Only cases through transport have been noted on other islands -- none through local infection.

HDOH continues to routinely monitor for cases of imported dengue infection on ALL islands and will continue to have Vector Control perform mosquito site assessments and abatement as needed. Since the beginning of our current investigation on Hawaii island, thirteen imported dengue fever cases have been confirmed (seven on Oahu, three on Maui, two on Hawaii, 1 visitor), and one imported chikungunya case (on Hawaii) has been confirmed. These cases are not associated with the Hawaii island investigation.

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
What part of the BI did you stay Deb? We have a week in Kona at the Kona Coast Resort. Now I wish I had booked Paniolo Greens in Waikoloa where there are less cases :(
We returned home from 2 weeks at Holua at Mauna Loa Village on on 2/6/16. Never had to use bug spray. We traveled to Hilo twice via saddle road. Traveled to black sand beach with all the turtles near the volcano. No spray and no mosquitos were seen entire trip.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
Cleveland gets a bad rap. It's not so bad. It's kind of like Detroit, without all of the glitter.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score

We stayed at the Bay Club Waikoloa for a week ( RCI trade), then spent a couple of nights at Volcano House and a night at the Sheraton in Kona. We were in and around Kona quite a bit...I would gladly go back tomorrow if I could! I think the odds of getting dengue are very low....

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wanted to mention that the risk of dengue fever infection has decreased significantly over the last couple of weeks.

No new cases were reported last week, and the Hawaii Dept. of Health has downgraded the risk level for many of the locations -- there are no "high risk" areas on the map anymore.

Still not out of the woods, but good news for me since I will be there in less than a month!

-ryan

PDXGolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Ryan. We've been watching this with interest as well, though we won't be on the Big Island until next year. Hope the risk continues to decrease and ultimately goes away. Have a great time and keep us posted.

AKE

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't think that it will ever ultimately go away as every year or so there is an outbreak on one or more of the islands as long as I can remember. Some years it is just is worse than others. Now to put it all into perspective, we have been to Hawaii over 50 times, to all the islands and at times during dengue fever outbreaks and have never stopped going there or changing our plans because of it. If we did that then we (and any traveller heading south) would also avoid most other tropical places as dengue fever is found around the globe.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Wanted to mention that the risk of dengue fever infection has decreased significantly over the last couple of weeks.

No new cases were reported last week, and the Hawaii Dept. of Health has downgraded the risk level for many of the locations -- there are no "high risk" areas on the map anymore.

Still not out of the woods, but good news for me since I will be there in less than a month!

-ryan

Thank you Ryan :)

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
We returned home from 2 weeks at Holua at Mauna Loa Village on on 2/6/16. Never had to use bug spray. We traveled to Hilo twice via saddle road. Traveled to black sand beach with all the turtles near the volcano. No spray and no mosquitos were seen entire trip.

I need to know more about black sand beach and turtles :)
Did you stay overnight at the volcano and just do a 1 dayer?

Thank you