• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upcoming HGVC "owners meeting"

Midge 22

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany Village Barrier Island Station, Duck NC
Hi there! My husband and I are preparing for our Owner Meeting next week....who can resist a cheap beach vacation? We are perfectly happy with our plan and from what I have heard, there is nothing new they can sell me on. Besides wearing Tug merchandise, do you have any tips or pointers to get us out of there within the promised 90 minutes?

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
While they may make you sit the full 90 minutes (for some reason), using a timer to go off at 90 minutes seemed effective. TBH, they actually told me an owners update was only 60 minutes, but I had set for 90 on my timer and got kind of stuck for that. (I also had confusion regarding a trial package and taking so long to book I had already become a resale owner)...

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I've been to these meetings many times. At our most recent meeting, I was accused by the HGVC staff of attending these deals 27 times! The number is definitely wrong, its probably more like 15.

Just stand your ground, and tell them you have no more money and no more vacation time available.

One thing that annoyed me at the recent meeting was that they rolled out the Max private events (concerts, golf tournaments, etc.) as if we would be thrilled with it, but I pointed out that we have no interest any of it. This seemed to put a damper on the sales pitch.

Chris-ATX

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
From our experience - resist the urge to ask questions which appear you are engaged in the topic. They take that as a possible sign of buyer interest and will hunt for angles to hook you into a longer discussion.

The timer thing is interesting. Have not tried that.

RX8

Timeshare Scam Investigator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Another option, just tell them upfront that you are there for information only and are not purchasing anything. That will likely speed things up.

After you say no to everything else they will offer you the VIP package which is the use of 11,200 points (good for a 2 bedroom), to be used over the next 18 months. There is a requirement for yet another sales spiel. This will cost $1,695 (cash) or $1,795 (financed) and cannot be cancelled outside the 10 days rescission period. Many have had good luck using the VIP. I’ve used it a couple of times but this last time was not a good experience. There was never a two bedroom available where I wanted to go despite being 9 months out. I could have settled for a one bedroom but paying $1700 for the use of 5440 points was not worth it to me (you get no credit for using less than the 11,200 points). I was able to obtain a full refund of the VIP package months after I had signed the VIP contract. There is more to this story as it pertains to me being able to obtain the refund but I am keeping it brief here.

I told my experience just to make others aware that you are not guaranteed the use of 11,200 points for a two bedroom. Depending on when and where you want to go, HGV may have very few two bedrooms available and lots of studios. It is separate inventory from what you may see on the portal. You might be stuck with something that doesn’t work for you.

FunnyFarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point @ Poipu, Lawai Beach Resort, MROP/VRI, Worldmark
My experience with a Diamond/HVC VIP package was not good.
They always had no availability at any of the good locations listed on the sales sheet as awesome destinations.
It's acurate that they have a smaller special pool of inventory than for the owners.
You must attend another sales presentation, if you split your points then it's two presentations.
When I did get a reservation it was only where they had sales offices and I got a hotel room nearby rather than at the resort.
I ended up cancelling my last reservation, July in Palm Desert in a hotel, left half my points unused.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
You must attend another sales presentation, if you split your points then it's two presentations.
The fine print said you only have to go to a presentation the first time you use the points. I only took one trip, so I don't know if they push for a second presentation.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
The other downside with the VIP package or the similar MVC Encore package, is they will choose the room category. You should get a two bedroom if that was part of the package, but you may get the two bedroom with the worst location / view in the resort. We have had decent rooms, and some really bad ones on these packages. Mostly now we don't buy them..

FunnyFarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point @ Poipu, Lawai Beach Resort, MROP/VRI, Worldmark
The fine print said you only have to go to a presentation the first time you use the points. I only took one trip, so I don't know if they push for a second presentation.
I was required to attend 2 and would have been 3 if I went to the 3rd reservation.
It must have changed since Hilton bought in.

quhines

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview (RCI Points)
Vacation Village @Weston (RCI Points)
HGVC Tuscany
I was able to obtain a full refund of the VIP package months after I had signed the VIP contract. There is more to this story as it pertains to me being able to obtain the refund but I am keeping it brief here.
Could that be another post or a PM if you prefer? I would definitely like to know more since I currently have a VIP Package that I could use, but getting a refund would be preferred.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Could that be another post or a PM if you prefer? I would definitely like to know more since I currently have a VIP Package that I could use, but getting a refund would be preferred.
My guess is that since this came after he discovered the lack of two bedroom units, he was able to get a refund as HGV did not available marketing inventory to fulfill their part of the offer.

That may or may not still apply, as HGV has continued to add resorts, as well as the post pandemic "revenge travel surge" has slowed down...

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
Just got back form a VIP stay that was really an owner’s update.

How’d you get this VIP deal? Its only for non-owners.. We bought after we attended. Really like what we have and probably can’t use more right now.

Main items they pushed were:
  1. DEX- Buy now… your weeks are going to be worthless….. all the executives are making weeks worthless... get pooled points now.
Response, but we are happy with what we have now. We do something differently later if we have need to.

1. DEX- Cash weeks are great….
Response, we don’t have time… Oh and RCI, AFVC, GPX, we have so many options I don’t know if I can handle another one. (didn't even montion Interval International)

1. You need more points….
Response, but my wife is out of vacation time she only gets 2 weeks of time. The salesperson unsold us even more, with your points you could get 5 weeks in a 1 bedroom...

1. We can roll what the prior person paid for your resale week say $29,000 into a new week deal…
Response we are happy with what we have now and don’t have the money. Maybe if the MFs are really low we could consider, but probably not.

After we were done, I apologized for not buying from him. He said it didn’t matter to him… I almost corrected him, but what’s the point?

RX8

Timeshare Scam Investigator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
PM sent

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score

How’d you get this VIP deal? Its only for non-owners.. We bought after we attended. Really like what we have and probably can’t use more right now.

1. DEX- Buy now… your weeks are going to be worthless….. all the executives are making weeks worthless... get pooled points now.
Response, but we are happy with what we have now. We do something differently later if we have need to.

Response, we don’t have time… Oh and RCI, AFVC, GPX, we have so many options I don’t know if I can handle another one. (didn't even montion Interval International)

Response, but my wife is out of vacation time she only gets 2 weeks of time. The salesperson unsold us even more, with your points you could get 5 weeks in a 1 bedroom...

1. We can roll what the prior person paid for your resale week say $29,000 into a new week deal…
Response we are happy with what we have now and don’t have the money. Maybe if the MFs are really low we could consider, but probably not.

After we were done, I apologized for not buying from him. He said it didn’t matter to him… I almost corrected him, but what’s the point?
Why buy anything from a company making what you own worthless?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
VIP is certainly not only for non-owners, he was buttering you up like you were special.

The last time I did an update the last stop they offered me the VIP because "your points are all used up for this year and next". Response - Yes, but check my reservations, I have three, and always keep borrowing so I'm staying before paying! You want me to pay on the odd chance you will have a leftover I can stay, no thanks.

Chris-ATX

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa

thanks for sharing the summary. Gives me some ideas...

All - such a great community, I'm so grateful to have found TUG!!

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been to these meetings many times. At our most recent meeting, I was accused by the HGVC staff of attending these deals 27 times! The number is definitely wrong, its probably more like 15.

Just stand your ground, and tell them you have no more money and no more vacation time available.

One thing that annoyed me at the recent meeting was that they rolled out the Max private events (concerts, golf tournaments, etc.) as if we would be thrilled with it, but I pointed out that we have no interest any of it. This seemed to put a damper on the sales pitch.

This inflation of the number of previous sales pitches happened at out last HGVC spiel as well. We thought—maybe? If they included Diamond and previous systems Diamond absorbed?—but I just don’t understand the sales tactic of accusations and hostility. Does that get anyone to buy? I think I ended up saying, “Hey, I’m not the one that created this system/business model. Yet, here we both are. What can either of us do about it at this point?” I don’t think she kept us the full 90 mins.

We just purchased another of these packages….we’ll use it for Myrtle Beach for a nice weekend getaway in October for our anniversary. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Midge 22

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany Village Barrier Island Station, Duck NC
Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. We will hold strong this week!!