• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Two knobs or one on bathroom sinks

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are redoing our master bath and are down to picking out faucets. According to my research, many folks are going to faucets without the cold and hot knobs. This is what we have in the kitchen but I had not considered it for the bath. One turn is easier, it is easier to clean without the knobs and less places to leak. Have any of you done this in the bath?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I went with 2 knobs for our master bath redo- actually they come out of the wall, along with the faucet- instead of up from the sink or counter. However, I don't see any downside to having one handle.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is more a style question. Classic styles will be 2 taps and fawcet. Modern more likely to be a single unit. Also depending on the porcelain line you may be working with their mfr constraints or lead times. Not all sinks come in single 4 and 8 spread.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
just remodeled. one knob for shower, 2 knobs for sink. We went for separated knobs vs. faucet/knobs on platform.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Grief! It's a style issue. YOU decide what's right for YOU!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Two handles is a more classic style which now seems to be in vogue in "high end" baths.
Most granite, marble or quartz counters I have seen had two handles. Not saying it matters.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Two handles is a more classic style which now seems to be in vogue in "high end" baths.
Most granite, marble or quartz counters I have seen had two handles. Not saying it matters.

My single handle hansgrohe looks great on travertine.

Sent from my iPad

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
We built a new home last year and went with the single hole faucet solution - single lever (Kohler Artifacts) for the master and two handles (Kohler Bancroft) for the remaining baths.

Kohler.jpg

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Always told myself if we ever re-did the bathrooms, I'd definitely go with the one-handle set-up. After using the kitchen one-handle faucet, makes no sense to keep adjusting the temps left to right as you do on a two-handle outfit.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't a one have the old style sink with hot on one side and cold on the other I don't mean one faucet with two handles but two separate faucets

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
After using the kitchen one-handle faucet, makes no sense to keep adjusting the temps left to right as you do on a two-handle outfit.

I have a simple method: If one wants luke-warm, turn on cold first; if one wants hot, turn on hot first; set at ~75% flow; then use the other to adjust temperature. Usually, that's all.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. It is my preference that counts but when we are going to the expense required for this project, I just like other opinions.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We did a mini/partial reno on our master bath recently. We replaced the vanities and toilet, repainted, and got new flooring but we left the shower/tub. We went with two knobs but I wanted one. It was just a lot cheaper to get pre-made vanities that already had the holes cut. And it wasn't a top priority for me. But if money were no object I'd rather have one knob. Easier to use and gives you more counter space. It also looks more classy.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two is more classy/classic and timeless looking. One is more modern. Which of those looks one prefers is personal.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
To answer your question, yes, we have done that in both our baths.

The single is easier for us than the two knobs to turn. More to consider than just style and looks.

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one handle in both kitchen and bathrooms. Much easier to operate and easier to CLEAN.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will have split vanities as our shower will be 10x4, making it handicapped assessable without a door. We are 70 and 72 so you never know what the future holds. One vanity is where the shower is now and will be a little narrower than the other so one might be best. Thanks for all your replies.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
To me, single handle faucets make it look like a public restroom. IMO two handle faucets look classier, but as others have said, it is a personal style preference.

Kurt

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I just replaced mine as well. IMO, the more important issue is the style of the faucet spout and the type of handles. Some of the smaller and cheaper ones don't have much clearance between the edge of the sink and where the water comes out. I've stayed at a couple of timeshares that had this issue and ended up with water all over the counter every time I washed my hands.
The other issue is the type of handle. If you go with 2, the old fashioned type type of handle can be hard to turn if you end up with arthritis (which my mother has). She has opted for a 2 handle with a lever type knob and a long curved spout. It has a modern look to it.

The other thing is the finish. I went with a chrome finish that looks modern but it shows all the water spots. I went with brushed nickel in the kitchen and it shows nothing; much easier to keep clean.

Sue

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
A smaller sink also looks better with a single piece.
Ceramic valves / washers in a three piece make it a half turn off to on which is easier as well.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have the single lever in 2 bathrooms, the kitchen and laundry room. We purchased a foreclosure home where the previous owners took out all of the faucets except for the ones in the Master Bathroom vanity. It has 2 handles on each sink and the tub also has 2 handles. When we were going to buy replacements, we asked which they preferred for the guest bathrooms and they all said single, so we went that route. All three of our showers have the single knob.

I do like the single ones better myself. I can leave the knob where I prefer it.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me the very first design criteria is faucet "reach". Generally a reach of 6" will assure the water is directed to the center of the sink. With a shorter reach, the water will hit the back of the sink which makes it very difficult for ease of use. Besides, the short reach will often result in unnecessary splashing.

I just completed a remodel from a single control handle to separate hot and cold with an 8" separation between the handles. IMHO, the wider look is very nice compared to the single unit placement.

ema10

Reaction score
We are redoing our master bath and are down to picking out new console sink. According to my research, many folks are going to faucets without the cold and hot knobs. This is what we have in the kitchen but I had not considered it for the bath. One turn is easier, it is easier to clean without the knobs and less places to leak. Have any of you done this in the bath?

Hi
Follow the steps:
  1. Remove each handle. Pry off the decorative cap if necessary (usually reading “Hot” or “Cold”), unscrew, and remove the handle.
  2. Use a wrench to remove the nut. ...
  3. Pull out the stem. ...
  4. Remove the seat washer. ...
  5. Replace the seat washer. ...
  6. Reassemble each handle.