• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tuggers Can And Should Consider Direct Timeshare Exchanges With Each Other

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I agree that it's a good idea to put everything in writing but a formal contract is only needed if you plan to sue them if the deal falls through. You can accomplish the same thing by putting all the details in an email.

However - If you are uncomfortable with the trade, you should rethink it.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
No, not uncomfortable in the least!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My RCI membership expires in 2016, I hope to be done with them by then.

Don't forget the free independent exchange companies. i am registered with all of them and I don;t even deposit first- I look to see if something is available that I want and then exchange,

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

gerrirose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just came back from a wonderful week on Cape Cod using a trade with another Tugger who took my Hawaii week and we were both thrilled with our FREE exchange! A reminder to everyone...use our Marketplace. The bigger it gets the better for us all!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
going off their profile, it looks like they traded pahio at kauai beach.

Congrats on the successful trade! More options always make it better...again there is absolutely no obligation to deposit your week just by posting an ad in the marketplace...its merely to populate the database with your resort information and allows matches to be made between owners!

It definitely works, and its 100% free...the more people who post direct exchange ads the more people will end up with free exchanges =)

Chucez

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
:)Amen I have to agree, tired of II wanting a deposit but I cant find an exchange. Thats what happens when they sell more than they have and sell you on the idea that exchanges are easy and no problem. Never anything available when you want to go and heaven help you if you extend the exchange or worse yet cancel one. Then you might as well give it back.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
It's a bummer this service doesn't seem to be used all that much...is it that it's not being promoted?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
It's a bummer this service doesn't seem to be used all that much...is it that it's not being promoted?

It takes trust and needs to be an equitable exchange.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I do often wonder why many members dont just list their home resorts etc as a direct exchange ad just to see what might be out there and available for free.

perhaps owners are so conditioned that anything exchange related has a fee attached, they assume the same with TUG!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We leave soon for Ireland via a direct exchange with a tugger. They are staying in our Maui unit. We started with email, then facebook, and ultimately a real phone call. So far, so good. I don't expect any problems or surprises - you get a feel for people after awhile. I couldn't have asked for a better first time direct exchange!

In our case we both have fixed unit, fixed weeks, and coincidentally my week is a week 23 and hers is a week 24 so it reduced our uncertainty with the situation. I'll be looking to do future exchanges via Tug, that's for sure.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do often wonder why many members dont just list their home resorts etc as a direct exchange ad just to see what might be out there and available for free.

perhaps owners are so conditioned that anything exchange related has a fee attached, they assume the same with TUG!

Probably because nobody will accept a trade between a studio and a 2 bdrm but through II/RCI it is possible.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I tried it with a high demand, prime week and got offers of dud weeks I could book for 10 TPUs. I would really like a more selective exchange group--such as only Tuggers with 100+ posts and only HGVC, Marriott, Hyatt, DVC, etc., and maybe non-hotel prime weeks (summer beach, prime ski, Yellowstone, etc.). Any way we could do this? Maybe a forum with a password like sightings?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Probably because nobody will accept a trade between a studio and a 2 bdrm but through II/RCI it is possible.

that doesnt have anything to do with posting the direct exchange ad.

TUG doesnt require you to deposit your unit, you can do whatever you like with it. the ad is merely to find possible matches for you.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
that doesnt have anything to do with posting the direct exchange ad.

TUG doesnt require you to deposit your unit, you can do whatever you like with it. the ad is merely to find possible matches for you.

Why I would wasted my time posting an ad for a direct exchange with a Disney owner when I know that my week is not the same value (my week worth way less in $$$) and nobody will accept this kind of exchange except if they are dumb but with RCI in the name of the trading power my week worth more.

Do you think that an owner of a studio at the Marriott's Grande Vista in Orlando would have been able to do a direct exchange with an owner of a 3 bdrm at the Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve in Orlando ? Except if the owner of the 3 bdrm is completely stupid, the answer is no. So, why the studio owner would have wasted is time posting an ad when this kind of non sense exchange is possible only on II.

The majority of people want to up-trade. So, why people will waste their time posting an ad for a like for like when they want to up-trade or for an up-trade knowing that nobody want to downgrade.

This is why I said "Probably because nobody will accept a trade between a studio and a 2 bdrm but through II/RCI it is possible."

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I tried it with a high demand, prime week and got offers of dud weeks I could book for 10 TPUs. I would really like a more selective exchange group--such as only Tuggers with 100+ posts and only HGVC, Marriott, Hyatt, DVC, etc., and maybe non-hotel prime weeks (summer beach, prime ski, Yellowstone, etc.). Any way we could do this? Maybe a forum with a password like sightings?

I second the minimum post count idea. In my opinion, this should be a benefit extended to those who contribute to the collective knowledge of the board. I would have a difficult trusting someone who doesn't participate in the board discussions.

As far as the name brand restriction, I would put that within your ad. In our case, both units are non-name brand (but in high demand locations at high demand times). I would hate to have some arbitrary restrictions in place on what can be exchanged. It is up to the user to decide if it is an exchange that they want to make.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Why I would wasted my time posting an ad for a direct exchange with a Disney owner when I know that my week is not the same value (my week worth way less in $$$) and nobody will accept this kind of exchange except if they are dumb but with RCI in the name of the trading power my week worth more.

Do you think that an owner of a studio at the Marriott's Grande Vista in Orlando would have been able to do a direct exchange with an owner of a 3 bdrm at the Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve in Orlando ? Except if the owner of the 3 bdrm is completely stupid, the answer is no. So, why the studio owner would have wasted is time posting an ad when this kind of non sense exchange is possible only on II.

The majority of people want to up-trade. So, why people will waste their time posting an ad for a like for like when they want to up-trade or for an up-trade knowing that nobody want to downgrade.

This is why I said "Probably because nobody will accept a trade between a studio and a 2 bdrm but through II/RCI it is possible."

im not sure how this applies to the argument in question.

it costs you nothing to post a direct exchange ad (it doesnt even take away an ad credit)

it doesnt require you to reserve or lose your week or otherwise do anything with it you wouldnt normally do

the chances of you getting the exchange you mention are indeed low, but they are an order of magnitude greater if you post an ad, vs not post one in the first place.

clearly a number of people are making trades with each other evidenced by this thread, and they never would have gotten those free trades had they not posted an ad to begin with.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I second the minimum post count idea. In my opinion, this should be a benefit extended to those who contribute to the collective knowledge of the board. I would have a difficult trusting someone who doesn't participate in the board discussions.

all ads in the markeptlace now should have a label on them showing how long the poster has been a TUG member.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

When an exchange fee is involved I usually look for an up trade. If it is a direct exchange, I am more likely to look for like for like although some people value what they own more than others might.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
im not sure how this applies to the argument in question.

it costs you nothing to post a direct exchange ad (it doesnt even take away an ad credit)

it doesnt require you to reserve or lose your week or otherwise do anything with it you wouldnt normally do

the chances of you getting the exchange you mention are indeed low, but they are an order of magnitude greater if you post an ad, vs not post one in the first place.

clearly a number of people are making trades with each other evidenced by this thread, and they never would have gotten those free trades had they not posted an ad to begin with.

Ok continue to wonder why many members don't just list their home resorts etc as a direct exchange ad just to see what might be out there and available for free.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
delete double post

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
oh well, I guess no "upscale" direct exchange filter then. Although the direct exchange ads did not work for me and I don't see trying again without a quality filter, I have done a number of great direct exchanges with tuggers who private mssged me after one of my tug Q+A posts about an area/trade, who then offered their TS or requested a unit that I had--those have all worked out well for both sides. Elaine