• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tuggers Can And Should Consider Direct Timeshare Exchanges With Each Other

anteween

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you post and exchange without choosing a specific place to exchange. Or do you just choose a place and and then state you are open to all offers?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can post where you would like to exchange. To check it out, click on the classified ads link in the red bar at the top of the page.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you have the option of putting whtaever you want in the "what you want to trade for" section.

you can go down to a specific week at a specific resort, all the way up to "anything on the west coast" etc etc.

anteween

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you leave where you will exchange to blank? Do you just choose an area or resort, then state you are open to any exchanges?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I would yes, you can type whatever you wish in the description. however if you do leave that section blank, the automatic matching functionality wont work. at the very least, select a resort area (like us west, or us east) or if you want them all, select all the areas. once you complete the first "what you are looking for" section, you can add another, and another, and another etc etc. you arent limited to just putting in one =)

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian - FYI

Another tugger and I are working out logistics on a direct exchange. If it comes through it would be my second direct exchange with a Tugger!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad to hear it, I show over 25 completed exchanges in the system sofar! I am really pleased its working as anticipated!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
FYI over 500 tuggers have posted their weeks up for Direct Exchange since it became available in the marketplace! With nearly 200 currently available direct exchanges right now, completely free!

http://timesharedirectexchange.tug2.net

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I even noticed a disney recently added!

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
Removing exchange add

How do I remove an exchange add I posted? I have deposited my week with SFX.

Thanks,

Paul

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How do I remove an exchange add I posted? I have deposited my week with SFX.

Thanks,

Paul

Go to the Timeshare Market Place and log in.

Click EDIT YOUR EXISTING AD

On the right side of your Ad click DELETE THIS AD

gogoellen

Reaction score
Wonderful exchange -Ca. Central Coast to Banff, Canada

Using Tug I was able to arrange an exchange with a nice Canadian woman! Their family took our week in Avila, Ca. and we used their place in Banff. The really fun thing is we got to meet them when they were traveling from Avila to Yosemite! It was a great exchange and I love the idea of arranging it ourselves with out a lot of expensive middle men! Thank you Tug!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad to hear it worked for the both of you!!

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
gogoellen was awesome to exchange with. We were both very happy with what we got and no exchange fees or waiting till the last minute and then taking anything offered. We set the exchange up over 15 months in advance. THis was my second exchange using the Tug exchange list. Have already swapped next summer's week in Banff for a 2 bedroom Marriot in Hilton Head and our first exchange was to the Manhatten club. I still have not joined II or RCI and do not plan to. Using the exchange board, renting ours and renting what we want has always worked for me. With my weeks I've deposited I always have to worry if I'll get a trade or list what I think I can get not what I really want. I wish more TUGGERS would try this service.

Joan

dmorea

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Direct exchange ads - Other

First i want to Thank the admins and moderators of this site... Kudos to you !

For many years i did many successfull trades under your old system. I still do repeat trades with some...but since the new sysytem went into effect I havent been as successful.

What doesnt work for me now is that my ad gets "lost" you can only find it by looking in all exchanges and then its still tough. I realize that this sight is primarily for timeshare owners, which I am , also but one of the properties I have for trade is a privately owned condo, which actually gives me lots of flexibilty.

Is there a way to either give these type listings their own category, I.e. "other" ? or listing them in their appropriate Region as an other type listing?

This would be preferable to just being included when someone looks at All listings?

Thanks so much for your consideration

bzzybee13

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchanging an RCI week

Okay I have a question. Does RCI allow you to exchange a week booked through them with someone else, or does this violate their rules? I know you can send a guest in your place if you don't profit from the arrangement, but does getting a week somewhere else count as a profit?

I know it would not be ideal as the exchange fee has already been paid to RCI, but just out of curiosity if I changed my mind about a trade, could it be done? Thanks!

Devorah

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okay I have a question. Does RCI allow you to exchange a week booked through them with someone else, or does this violate their rules? I know you can send a guest in your place if you don't profit from the arrangement, but does getting a week somewhere else count as a profit?

I know it would not be ideal as the exchange fee has already been paid to RCI, but just out of curiosity if I changed my mind about a trade, could it be done? Thanks!

Devorah

They do not allow you to swap an exchange week with someone else - see this post from an RCI Rep.

RustyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
They do not allow you to swap an exchange week with someone else - see this post from an RCI Rep.

That RCI rep made statements that agree with many members as to why RCI's actions led to the class action suit, yet contradict RCI's assertions in that suit. I'm gong to quote it here to ease any discussion.

1) Accurate representation of Trading Power value -- RCI has contracts with its affiliated resorts and is in a better position to influence information provided about its program.

2) Fair exchange policy - RCI's program strives to provide a vacation that is comparable to the one you own. If members buy a deposited week from a resort they've never visited, RCI has no way to gauge their expectations.

3) Support for timeshare sales and purchases -- Most people who want higher quality vacation exchanges invest in the purchase of higher quality weeks. When these weeks are deposited with RCI, they in turn provide exchange families with a better selection and quality of inventory from which to choose. Travelers would not be incented to upgrade their purchases if they could simply buy the "interest" for a fraction of the purchase price per year.

4) The demand among RCI members for certain areas and times of year is overwhelming (school breaks, holidays, etc.) This is magnified when non-members can compete for the same space.

If you can't use a confimed exchange, cancel it and make the unit available to other RCI members who may be requesting it. When members rent or swap confirmed exchanges, they undermine RCI's program to the detriment of other members. If a member is waiting for a vacation, he would indeed be upset to think that prime exchange units were being offered to the general public or traded among friends instead of being released.

RCI works hard to keep its exchange program viable and to satisfy its subscribing members. Maintaining control of our inventory is crucial to our ability to do this.

Wow. The potential for the rental process to undermine the value of a timeshare. The potential for the rental process to upset members because prime exchange units were being traded outside the system. Wow.

I don't know who the rep was that made these statements, nor do I know when they were made. But if it could be proven this was the corporate position at some point in time, it would prove RCI has reversed their operating concepts and embraced actions they previously predicted would be detrimental to their membership.

I'm going to cross post this to the Class Action suit thread, sorry in advance if that ruffles any feathers.

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did a swap with another Tugger recently and happy about it!

:clap: Thanks for this system not only can we look at prime weeks that don't show up in the II system just looking, but the ability to arrange trades for future years like 2011 is great! I just did a trade with another Tugger and I think we will both be really happy with the trades we got! I gave them a great II timeshare week that never shows up in inventory and they gave me a great RCI week. I couldn't have gotten that otherwise b/c I don't own in RCI!!!
The only thing I think that would make this "trust" system of swapping with other owners feel less risky is a way to get/give "feedback" like on E-Bay so you can know after experience if others have traded with this person and that makes you feel safer then maybe using someone with no feedback yet??? And vice versa. ;)

Also just the other day I asked an II/starwood rep about the 2009 week I deposited and put in a ongoing search back into my home resort for 2010 to see if I was allowed to trade that with another owner as long as it was not rented for profit and they said YES just pay for the guest certificate. After reading the RCI trading rules others just wrote here I am wondering if I was misinformed????? Are the II rules for trading different??? Anyone else know anything or maybe I should just call and ask again............Probably get a different answer each time I call depending on who I talk to!!! :doh:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
II and RCI do not allow you to swap exchange weeks, but you are probably going to be OK, as long as you don't discuss it on a public forum. ;)

Last edited:

dmorea

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
"Other" category

Is there a way to either give these type listings their own category, I.e. "other" ? or listing them in their appropriate Region as an other type listing?

Noticed today that you did this! It was effective. Thanks again for all you do .

Deb

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Noticed today that you did this! It was effective. Thanks again for all you do .

Deb

yep, we added a few new items to the default grid page to allow for easier searching. points rentals are listed as well!

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian,

First of all, thank you for updating the Marketplace ads in to a more user friendly, free site. It's been a great addition to TUG.

Not that this is TUG's fault, but I just realized that there is an Exchange category in the Marketplace (while reading about the RCI lawsuit). I spent a little time this morning looking at it and wanted to give you a little feedback about it.

1) It took me awhile to actually find the ad. I kept looking under Resort Wishes thinking I would see potential exchange "wishes". I saw the number of ads and thought perhaps I wasn't logged in correctly or that I needed to click on the crossed arrows (which didn't do anything) to get more info. I finally realized it's the "view" to the very right that got me in.

2) When I clicked on the BACK button to get back to the main list, it kept looping among the Resort tabs but never took me out to the main list again. I'm not sure why the BACK button is there since if I wanted to see another tab, I would just have to click on the tab (same number of strokes). It took awhile to realize I have to click on Marketplace and then my Exchange location to get to the main list again.

3) It's always nice to know where I "am" when doing a search. If I'm in the Exchanges, it would be nice to see EXCHANGES somewhere up in the heading.

4) I really think some sort of explanation box for Exchanges would be helpful, either as a box that appears when you scroll over Exchanges or, once you enter Exchanges, a link on the top that explains the Rules for the Exchange section. At a minimum, people should know that it's the property they OWN, not what they WISH, that's under the particular location category.

5) A "Suggestions for a Successful Exchange" or "Sample Exchange Contract" would be great additions, since this is a relatively new concept for many of us and some handholding would be greatly appreciated!

As for me, I would be interested in listing an Exchange but don't know if I want to deal with the hassle of learning how to execute an exchange right now. Just my humble opinion.