• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Travel to Mexico

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I have seen a trip insurer cover In case of covid 19. Is there one???

I think most of the policies cover most things except fear regarding covid 19. If you catch covid 19 and can't go on the trip most policies would cover that. If you go somewhere and catch covid 19 the policy I have will cover that too. I kind of wonder how they fly you home if you can't get on an airplane with covid 19.

Bill

Am I covered if I contract COVID-19?
If you contract COVID-19 prior to your departure, you could be covered for Trip Cancellation if there is a confirmed diagnosis, including proof of illness from your doctor that states you are medically unable to travel at the time of departure. If you become ill with COVID-19 while on a covered trip, you could be covered for Medical Expense and Trip Interruption/Curtailment benefits if there is a confirmed diagnosis, including proof of illness from a doctor. These coverages are subject to the terms and conditions of your insurance policy.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I get the Baja Bound email every month. Here is the latest.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I think most of the policies cover most things except fear regarding covid 19. If you catch covid 19 and can't go on the trip most policies would cover that. If you go somewhere and catch covid 19 the policy I have will cover that too. I kind of wonder how they fly you home if you can't get on an airplane with covid 19.

Bill

Am I covered if I contract COVID-19?
If you contract COVID-19 prior to your departure, you could be covered for Trip Cancellation if there is a confirmed diagnosis, including proof of illness from your doctor that states you are medically unable to travel at the time of departure. If you become ill with COVID-19 while on a covered trip, you could be covered for Medical Expense and Trip Interruption/Curtailment benefits if there is a confirmed diagnosis, including proof of illness from a doctor. These coverages are subject to the terms and conditions of your insurance policy.

This is good to know. Now when we travel we will need travel insurance for Covid. Just another thing to do in the post Covid world.

BTW, we were in Puerto Vallarta in mid February and my husband had all the Covid symptoms. We saw the resort doctor and he said it is not Covid because my husband had not traveled to China. Nowadays my husband would have been quarantined and unable to fly. Not sure he could even get testing in Mexico even now. So we would have assumed it was Covid and gotten stuck in Mexico. The world has changed so much since February.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Mazatlán hotels are re-opening July 1, even though Sinaloa is knee deep in the outbreak. Beaches are slated to open then as well. The city says they're going to monitor things and if people can't keep their distance and wear masks they'll shut it down again.

We'll see.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
With everything that has become known about covid 19, we feel safe enough going to Mexico. Probably not going to any fiestas , churches or any large gatherings. Might be driving this time. The drive adds a week down and a week back. I read that it is about a 44 hour drive to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta.

Bill
There are ferries from Mazatlan to La Paz, if you are interested to drive from Puerto Vallarta to Cabo.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are ferries from Mazatlan to La Paz, if you are interested to drive from Puerto Vallarta to Cabo.

Have you taken the Baja Ferry? I live within walking distance of it and it's on my list of things to do ... take a ride over to La Paz for a few days, then maybe do their run from La Paz to Topolobampo, and bus home.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
Both trips are in my list, part of my family did it, for my father who now pass away el chepe was one of the most amazing trips that he had.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Both trips are in my list, part of my family did it, for my father who now pass away el chepe was one of the most amazing trips that he had.

I rode El Chepe from Chihuahua to Los Mochis three years ago. I stayed a few nights in Chihuahua, Creel, Divisadero, El Fuerte, and just overnight in Los Mochis. It was an amazing trip, and if you book things yourself you save about half over what the tour companies charge. Creel has three main places with rock formations (be sure to see the valley of the monks) as well as access to two waterfalls and a lake. I saw the smaller of the waterfalls - so I'll need to go back! Divisadero is the main spot for viewing the canyon, and hosts the adventure park. The 7 zip-line event was a blast! There are Balderrama hotels both in Divisadero and El Fuerte so your trip doesn't have to be totally rustic! For those who don't know, Copper Canyon (Las Barrancas del Cobre) is FOUR times bigger than the USA's Grand Canyon. Add the train ride, especially now that they have an uber premium class car, and you have an amazing week of fun!

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate to add to the negative comment because I love Mexico and have gone every year for 35 years except this one which we had to cancel in April! :cry: One of my granddaughters just returned last week from a graduation trip to Cabo with some of her friends and their parents. I expressed my feelings about her joining the trip but she went anyway. She and at lease four others, at this count, have been tested positive for Covid so they and their families are now quarenteened,. Test results haven't returned for some of the others so there might be more?? So I think we should wait longer for a trip to Mexico? I was hoping to go in the Fall but I decided, a few months ago, to roll over all my 2019 weeks to 2020 and hope we might be able to go next year.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I hate to add to the negative comment because I love Mexico and have gone every year for 35 years except this one which we had to cancel in April! :cry: One of my granddaughters just returned last week from a graduation trip to Cabo with some of her friends and their parents. I expressed my feelings about her joining the trip but she went anyway. She and at lease four others, at this count, have been tested positive for Covid so they and their families are now quarenteened,. Test results haven't returned for some of the others so there might be more?? So I think we should wait longer for a trip to Mexico? I was hoping to go in the Fall but I decided, a few months ago, to roll over all my 2019 weeks to 2020 and hope we might be able to go next year.

I don't know what that has to do with Mexico. They traveled in a large group that wasn't their own household. The same result could have happened anywhere in the US.

My wife and I have traveled 3 times during the age of 'rona. We keep to ourselves mostly and avoid any kind of large gatherings but we've still enjoyed the gyms, pools and beaches.

I'm heading to Cabo at the end of August to enjoy the beach and get some fishing in. I don't see it as any more dangerous than doing the same thing in San Diego.

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are are right, of course, but I prefer to stay here at home at least for awhile longer. But I totally understand your wanting to go to Mexico and your fishing trip. I really love Mexico and have made many wonderful friends there, both local and travelers. I still keep in touch with so many of them. Hope you have a wonderful time in Cabo and catch lots of fish and I hope that we can return to Mexico soon! And there were 4 families who went but all had their own rooms with a mom in each room. They thought they could follow the U.S. rules of social distancing and NO bars! All too young!! They mostly stayed in the pools, beach and ate at the resort but they did go shopping too!

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I have friends who live in Mexico. They advised me not to go.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
People reported on Facebook groups great and safe experiences at Lagunamar.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
I‘ve just visited Cancun, resorts are taking many sanity measures, they only allow 30% of ocupation, beaches are only for turists, all public beaches are closed, cleaners only get once a week in your room and it must be empty, staff evryday are check when they arrive. So it is desicion of evryone.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Covid-19 is a pandemic ... it's EVERYWHERE. Zib - it does seem that your granddaughter followed the social distancing rules from the USA ... they aren't working too well there either. And CPNY - why did your friends in México tell you not to come? If it's because the USA and México are both still in the middle of the outbreak, then yes - good advice! If it's something specific to México I'd be interested in learning it as I live here 24/7 and have yet to see a difference in the pandemic between the two countries. Same under testing, under reporting, not wearing masks, standing closer than 6 feet from others, and high death count.

Mazatlán is back open to tourists. I haven't been to the Gold Zone, nor have I been out and about much so I haven't seen how many are actually here. I've been to the beach on Stone Island twice since it reopened, and both times there have been a decent number of tourists by early afternoon. Few of them were wearing masks or social distancing - just like the photos of Florida beaches I've seen on the news.

So it would appear to me that if you are traveling to tourist destinations in the USA, going to México wouldn't be much different. Except the people are nicer, the food is better, the weather is amazing, and the ocean is as warm as bath water.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, Mexico! You're now #3 in Covid deaths behind #1 USA and #2 Brazil! WooHoo!! But by golly, business is open and you can go to the beaches and bars!

Jim

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
I think the number of covid deaths for some countries are very subjetive, some goverments don’t inform the reality, if you check China, India, Rusia, Peru, etc. Frankly I don’t believe the Numbers that they report. Anyway we need to keep a good health in case to get infected and hope a vaccine will discover soon.

Last edited:

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congratulations, Mexico! You're now #3 in Covid deaths behind #1 USA and #2 Brazil! WooHoo!! But by golly, business is open and you can go to the beaches and bars!

Jim

Nope, not the bars. Crazy rules that differ from state to state - JUST like the USA.