• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Travel to Mexico

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If an airline is selling tickets from LAX to Mexico -- does that mean border will be open? Or is it for Mexico nationals?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If an airline is selling tickets from LAX to Mexico -- does that mean border will be open? Or is it for Mexico nationals?
With all due respect to the knowledge in our TUG community, why not check with the airline? Wouldn't that be more reliable?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Possibly a long wait on hold. Just thought somebody knowledgeable about Mexico might know.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
People are showing up at the Villa Group Resorts in Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo. I can see them on the resort facebook page.

Bill

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the border has never been closed to air travel. Only land and rail.
We had flights to PVR the first week of June, and although United changed them, they were still going to fly us into MX. :)

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Open, closed - it could all change in a day. Things are reopening, but if the second wave hits hard they could easily shut things down quickly. Travel anywhere these days is a crap shoot.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
A friend from Belize who now lives in Playa del Carmen sent me this article this morning.
https://www.solmexiconews.com/mexic...0P7OFiKiDsQ6rcMmbz2pEh00AX60lBdCU_R8irPw0415s
She has been self isolating in her condo since March afraid to go anywhere, even to her condo pool, as she has asthma and COPD, and like many others strongly believe there are far more cases of COVID in Mexico than hospitals are reporting or officials are letting on.

~Diane

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mexico has done very little testing. The feeling being: if people don't test as infected, they must not be. Hence, no numbers of infected to report. Not to mention the 3rd world quality of Mexican healthcare.

Mexico travel is off our radar screen for now.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With everything that has become known about covid 19, we feel safe enough going to Mexico. Probably not going to any fiestas , churches or any large gatherings. Might be driving this time. The drive adds a week down and a week back. I read that it is about a 44 hour drive to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta.

Bill

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
With everything that has become known about covid 19, we feel safe enough going to Mexico. Probably not going to any fiestas , churches or any large gatherings. Might be driving this time. The drive adds a week down and a week back. I read that it is about a 44 hour drive to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta.

Bill
Under current circumstances, all that we would do is sit around the resort or perhaps stroll on a less crowded beach. Which isn't what we typically do when we go to Mexico. I enjoy riding the buses and going to the mercados. My fondest memory of our last trip to Zihua was wandering around the mercado on Sunday, buying food for the week. A great time at a fishmonger, watching him carve off our mahi mahi fillets and buying caught-that-night completely raw and uncleaned shrimp. Sunday was market day, and the mercado was packed.

So we'll be biding our time on our return. Right now we're scheduled for February, but we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I have a friend who lives in Vallarta and got a ticket driving during the initial lockdown. She says it’s all good now. It’s hotter than hell in Mexico now. Not virus friendly.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Under current circumstances, all that we would do is sit around the resort or perhaps stroll on a less crowded beach. Which isn't what we typically do when we go to Mexico. I enjoy riding the buses and going to the mercados. My fondest memory of our last trip to Zihua was wandering around the mercado on Sunday, buying food for the week. A great time at a fishmonger, watching him carve off our mahi mahi fillets and buying caught-that-night completely raw and uncleaned shrimp. Sunday was market day, and the mercado was packed.

So we'll be biding our time on our return. Right now we're scheduled for February, but we'll see what happens.

Our winter plan is Cabo, but like you, we will see. A Government restriction is about the only thing that would stop us. Recently, WHO announced that asymptomatic spread of covid 19 is very rare. Soon after this statement WHO clarified that asymptomatic spread was unknown.

Then the CDC said that covid 19 spread from touching items is as not a big as a concern as the disease doesn't really spread this way.

I'm not sure about the mask. It seems they were not needed. Then they concluded the masks work and now they are required in many places.

" The majority of transmission that we know about is that people who have symptoms transmit the virus to other people through infectious droplets,” Van Kerkhove said. “But there are a subset of people who don’t develop symptoms, and to truly understand how many people don’t have symptoms, we don’t actually have that answer yet.”

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who lives in Vallarta and got a ticket driving during the initial lockdown. She says it’s all good now. It’s hotter than hell in Mexico now. Not virus friendly.
If hot and sultry weather were significant, then there wouldn't be bodies rotting in the streets in Guayaquil, while Quito has been has been much less affected. I haven't seen any information, other than conjecture and wishful thinking, that the virus is affected by heat.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I found this info on the Pueblo Bonito Owners Facebook page relating to Cabo: https://www.cabosanlucastours.net/C...sL8ssnLUqYxCktqfQNy-MoQaW0YfvRWg8yc6evSF3JRUk

The video is interesting & it's from a local tour operator. Some of the dates are a little confusing, especially this paragraph:
"Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo and the Los Cabos area are closed to tourism through June, 2020 in order to prevent the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19). No official opening date has yet been announced, however hotels, restaurants, tours and attractions are preparing to reopen to tourists in June, 2020. The exact date is yet to be determined, but is expected to be in mid-June."

Further down the page there are opening dates for hotels and a large number say they will open June 8, which was this past Monday.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
If hot and sultry weather were significant, then there wouldn't be bodies rotting in the streets in Guayaquil, while Quito has been has been much less affected. I haven't seen any information, other than conjecture and wishful thinking, that the virus is affected by heat.

I agree, recent spike in cases in AZ indicates nobody told Covid it wont survive the heat of summer.

Coronavirus cases and hospitalizations have increased for the past two weeks in Arizona and hospitals across the state have been urged to activate emergency plans.

Health officials are concerned – and caution another stay-at-home order could be needed to curb the spread, Rachel Leingang reports for the Arizona Republic.

The coronavirus isn't going away anytime soon. The number of confirmed cases in the United States will soon hit 2 million, according to the Johns Hopkins University dashboard. Globally, there are more than 7.2 million confirmed cases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Further, if hot weather suppressed the novel corona virus, as with flu, the outbreak should be waning as we move toward summer in the Northern Hemisphere. But quite the reverse seems to be happening. And areas that have tropical heat overall are not being spared. Since we haven't gone through a summer with the virus, as I indicated expectations about it declining with heat were simply conjecture. And at this point there is little evidence to support that notion, and growing evidence to believe it wrong.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hard to say what will happen but I bought better trip insurance and decided to fly. The seats are social distancing meaning on our flight the middle seats are not used.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be very careful. On NPR this morning there was a lengthy report from Mexico City and Tijuana. They are very close to capacity. 6- of 9 floors in their hospitals are occupied with COVID-19 patients on ventilators. Even healthcare workers can't get tested- only gov't officials can.

Here's a 5 minute stream of the item: https://www.npr.org/2020/06/15/8769...-epic-toll-on-2-frontline-health-care-workers

I know I wouldn't want to be in a Mexican hospital, unable to fly out. Take Care!

Jim

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Be very careful. On NPR this morning there was a lengthy report from Mexico City and Tijuana. They are very close to capacity. 6- of 9 floors in their hospitals are occupied with COVID-19 patients on ventilators. Even healthcare workers can't get tested- only gov't officials can.

Here's a 5 minute stream of the item: https://www.npr.org/2020/06/15/8769...-epic-toll-on-2-frontline-health-care-workers

I know I wouldn't want to be in a Mexican hospital, unable to fly out. Take Care!

Jim

I looked at your link and it shouldn't surprise anyone that a city with a population of almost 9 million people with most of those people living very close together would have a covid 19 problem.

I know that there could be a problem in the smaller Mexican destinations but it seems less likely. Currently, the entire Baja Peninsula has less cases (1200+) than the city I live in ( 5000+).

Regarding flights, I will need to see if the medical transportation on the trip insurance excludes possible covid 19 cases. I guess if you get flu like symptoms there could be a problem with the flights if they restrict people with flu like symptoms from flying commercial. I wonder how that plays out ?

Bill

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Just a little update - the metropolitan area of México City currently has a population around 22 million. Tijuana is close to 2 million. And the conflicting stories of the state of the covid-19 cases makes you think maybe the highest numbers are still being under reported. Just like one of those countries to the north. But maybe I'm paranoid and wrong - both countries are opening back up like it's all over!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Mexico's numbers still going up! :(

~Diane

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Hard to say what will happen but I bought better trip insurance and decided to fly. The seats are social distancing meaning on our flight the middle seats are not used.

Bill

I have seen a trip insurer cover In case of covid 19. Is there one???