• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Took the plunge... now an owner.

Buckettoballs

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seapointe
Buyers remorse has set in. We know we like the three properties we toured in Carlsbad. Been back twice on a VIP package. Signed the papers to buy at Seapointe. Seems like resales on marbrisa are much cheaper than what was offered to us? Could this be based on fixed week vs floating? We have one week floating 4200 points for 22k at seapointe. Is this a good deal? Should I buy on the secondary market instead? Or go to Orlando or vegas and buy the points there even though our plan is to come to California more often (does the home resort really make a difference). I have 5 days to back out of the deal. Thanks for your help.

Anw015

Reaction score
I am not an owner but I've been researching and I would say back out. It's a lot cheaper to buy resale and you get exactly the same. (Unless you want platinum status) I'm likely going to purchase 4,800 points and the most I will likely pay is 3,000. Unless you plan to visit your home resort every year for the full week (from my understanding home resort priority booking is 3 months prior to the 9 month window for other owners and you must book a week at a time) you can get points at any resort. From my researching Vegas has the lowest maintenance fees. So if your really just looking for points I would look at any resort that has a maintenance fee you are comfortable paying in relation to points. Like I said I'm not an owner but I would not purchase from the developers.

This is a thread I started which was really helpful.

HGVC Resale

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh....php?threads/HGVC-Resale.262104/&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If you have to ask, the answer is to rescind and then research further.

After you research further, you will realize that rescission is the correct answer. Why pay $22K for something that can be purchased resale for a fraction of the price?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Congratulations, you found TUG in time and saved 22k. Rescind immediately. There are so many choices for you on resales. Read the thread Anw015 suggested and get fully knowledgeable about HGVC before you buy. Welcome to TUG, we are all here to help you.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Yes, definitely rescind now! Then stick around here do do additional research to see if buying a different HGVC property would fit your needs, or if something else would be better for you. Then when you have more information, there are a few brokers that get mentioned here who are highly rated if you still want to buy.

But most of all, rescind now and then you will have plenty of time to make a better decision.

Kurt

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Yikes. I paid $13,500 for 8400 points at the Lagoon Tower in Oahu. That's an ocean view two bedroom on Waikiki beach. $22k for 4200 points screams RESCIND!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Rescind immediately.

I purchased a Seapointe float odd years for $5 on eBay.

I'm in the process of transferring it to a new owner for $1.

The float weeks won't get you prime summer but September is a great month to use a float week.

I was at MarBrisa last week, saw a lot of people on sales tours walking through the pool area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Rescind immediately.

I purchased a Seapointe float odd years for $5 on eBay.

I'm in the process of transferring it to a new owner for $1.

The float weeks won't get you prime summer but September is a great month to use a float week.

I was at MarBrisa last week, saw a lot of people on sales tours walking through the pool area.

And to clarify for the OP, buying Seapointe or Grand Pacific Palisades resale (both HGVC affiliates) will not get you HGVC membership. It doesn't transfer upon resale. But, if you really like Seapointe, and you want to stay there more often than not, get a cheap Seapointe like SmithOp did and if decide you want something with HGVC later on you can buy that cheaply on the resale market too (true HGVC resorts, and some affiliates, allow a transfer of HGVC with resale) - for MUCH cheaper than $22K and with a lot more points too.

Last edited:

Frasier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC-Mabrisa Carlsbad, CA, HGVC-Bay Club, HI
Red Wolf Lakeside, Lake Tahoe,
I would rescind and keep looking resale.
I purchased resale a year ago week 23 convertible to 8,400 points at Mabrisa for $9,000.00. I even felt I could have done a little better but I am happy with it.

Buckettoballs

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seapointe
And to clarify for the OP, buying Seapointe or Grand Pacific Palisades resale (both HGVC affiliates) will not get you HGVC membership. It doesn't transfer upon resale. But, if you really like Seapointe, and you want to stay there more often than not, get a cheap Seapointe like SmithOp did and if decide you want something with HGVC later on you can buy that cheaply on the resale market too - for MUCH cheaper than $22K and with a lot more points too.

Thank you for the reply. Can you explain how what you have and what we have is different specifically membership?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thank you for the reply. Can you explain how what you have and what we have is different specifically membership?

Seapointe and Palisades were built by Grand Pacific, are now managed by HGVC. If you purchase one of the older deeds resale it may not include membership in HGVC, so you would not get points or trade to other HGVC resorts. You can stay for your owned week or trade through the Grand Pacific Exchange program.

Purchasing a Grand Pacific deed now from HGVC includes membership and points, and if you can get them to include an older deed they may "convert" it to your new HGVC account.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

I own a fixed summer week at Grand Pacific Palisades (GPP). Marbrisa, Seapointe and GPP were all Grand Pacific Resorts. Marbrisa entered into a relationship with HGVC is now managed by HGVC. Seapointe and GPP are affiliated with HGVC but managed by Grand Pacific Resorts. While there may be some old true Grand Pacific Marbrisa weeks that are not part of HGVC all current retail sales include HGVC membership as part of the sale and HGVC transfers on resale.

I purchased my Grand Pacific Palisades week from Grand Pacific's resale department. At that time they could add HGVC membership to the sale. These were significantly cheaper than HGVC retail. My fixed week is guaranteed and in fact I don't have to reserve it. If I wish to use the HGVC points instead I just make a call and 8400 points are transferred to my HGVC account.

It is my understanding that you can no longer purchase Seapointe and GPP resale weeks from the resale department at Grand Pacific as HGVC has assumed all sales. In addition, the rules were changed in that existing Seapointe and GPP owners that had a HGVC membership will not be able to transfer that membership upon resale. I believe that HGVC has essentially taken all Seapointe and GPP resales away from Grand Pacific. Because of all this you will no longer find a Seapointe or GPP resale with HGVC membership.

My family has enjoyed GPP so much we haven't exchanged the week for HGVC points since I purchased it in 2012. It is nice to know though that I have that option once the kids are older and Legoland no longer has their interest.

Last edited: