• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Traveler Episode 94... UHaul is My Hawaii Rental “Car”

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
Have you looked at Rental Prices in Hawaii Lately? $125/day or $800+/week. That Gave me sticker shock. Well, a crisis can bring out creativity. So I looked at UHaul and was surprised how much I could save so I jumped on it.

It is not right for everyone. But I really just wanted to go Coffee tasting and get some real Kona Coffee. I love my coffee as I travel with a French Press. In this Video, I will go through the costs associated with the UHaul rental and my perspective on how I try to manage my travel budget. Your situation might be different, but UHaul worked for me. And now I get to laugh at myself whenever I see a UHaul truck on the road. Not everyone would be like me and rent a UHaul for a day of Coffee Tasting in Hawaii.

Timeshare Traveler Episode 94... UHaul is My Hawaii Rental “Car”

Map of all my timeshare reviews

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Have you looked at Rental Prices in Hawaii Lately? $125/day or $800+/week. That Gave me sticker shock. Well, a crisis can bring out creativity. So I looked at UHaul and was surprised how much I could save so I jumped on it.

Did you rent from Karen over at Treasure Island?

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
Did you rent from Karen over at Treasure Island?
No... I did see rentals for $80 from some local shops... And sometimes you can do better but the main locations are $125 now.... I did manage a more tradfitional rental for next week at $61.... It varies by day. But I couldn't resist trying UHaul :cool:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Uber also has car rentals now. Maybe Lyft too.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
No... I did see rentals for $80 from some local shops... And sometimes you can do better but the main locations are $125 now.... I did manage a more tradfitional rental for next week at $61.... It varies by day. But I couldn't resist trying UHaul :cool:

No, I meant did you rent your UHaul from Karen at Treasure Island thrift? She has a UHaul franchise. Really nice person. I go there often looking for bargain housewares.

(If anyone else wants to try this, that's who I recommend -- Karen at Treasure Island thrift.)

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Uber also has car rentals now. Maybe Lyft too.

Uber, Truro and Lyft are stupidly expensive here compared to the mainland. My truck had issues early this year, and my options were $600 per day Truro/Uber rentals or $50 two-mile Uber rides to the corner store. I walked instead.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I am finding car rental prices, while not back to the crazy cheap levels of pre-pandemic, have become much more reasonable.

I have a reservation on Maui over Thanksgiving for a new (2022) intermediate car that’s about $50/day, I could have reserved a smaller/older car for about $38/day. This is with Aloha Rent-a-car, a local company on Maui. I could have rented from Thrifty for $425/week including taxes, so about the same total price, but their lines and cars can both be terrible sometimes.

The following week we are renting on the big island, and the one week rental was $379. That’s from Avis.

i used to be able to find rentals for around $200/week, but I don’t think those days are ever coming back.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
No, I meant did you rent your UHaul from Karen at Treasure Island thrift? She has a UHaul franchise. ...
Does she get upset if you take it to get mulch and bring it back clean?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Does she get upset if you take it to get mulch and bring it back clean?

Last time I rented one was to pick up the coffee pulper at Young Bros. Because of her hours, I ended up with the truck for the weekend (free!) so I took it to Lowe's and bought pallets of dirt. I returned it clean and she didn't mind.

Just make sure the gas gauge matches the paperwork. She has a problem with siphoners.

You can always just ask her about doing a mulch run. She's very easy to deal with.

I settled my truck issues permanently by purchasing the largest pickup on the island at DeLuz. Depending on where you are (and if my truck will fit), we could always do a dump run together (not Sundays -- NFL is the only break I give myself). But we could swing by on a Tues or Fri. I need to go to the dump anyway.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Update: I was just at Treasure Island this afternoon. Film crews for Ironman were renting all the trucks.

In other news, I'm staying at the farm -- not leaving for any reason except medical catastrophes -- until mid October.