• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Traveler Episode 59... Are HGV Max Premier Benefits Worth It?

WORLD TRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of folks who have learned how to maximize their ownership by reading and researching on TUG and have used developer purchases to further their goals.

Agreed! There is nothing wrong with Developer purchases and sometimes a Developer purchase is necessary in order to further one's goal of what they would like to achieve with their overall Timeshare ownership.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was the upgrade necessarily meaningful?
This has always been the big question for me. I'm a Wyndham owner, not HGVC, but there is a similar question there.

Size upgrades often don't mean much to me. If I need an extra bedroom, I'm generally not willing to play the "maybe I will get upgraded" game. It's pretty rare that I squeeze to the point of putting someone on the pull-out. Instead, I book the extra bedroom, even if it requires more points. Heck, I'm now at the point that even though my two adult kids can share a bedroom that has separate beds, I find myself booking the 3BRs instead when available rather than booking the smaller unit. They didn't share a bedroom at home growing up, so I'd rather not have them do that on vacation.

View upgrades on the other hand are often welcome. I don't always spring for the better view, because I don't always think the point difference is worth it. But, I'd be happy with an upgrade and would consider it an improvement to the vacation. I suppose it would be most fair to value it at something less than full points, because I wasn't willing to pay them in the first place, but it is certainly not meaningless either.

Am I glad to get the occasional discount and upgrade? You bet. Would it be the reason I would give a friend or family member to buy from the developer? Probably not in most situations. That doesn't mean a developer purchase is a bad idea, necessarily, but it's easy to get caught up in the idea of upgrades without thinking about how often they matter.

Edited to add: thinking about this more, I suspect a lot has to do with whether you are most constrained by time or timeshare assets. In the beginning, I had a lot of vacations I wanted to take and not a lot of timeshares, so I played a lot of point-stretching games. (Back in the day, the 28K blue studio Wyndham RCI generics with internal preferece were awesome for this.) But, as time went on I expanded my timeshare portfolio faster than my time for vacations grew. So, I now find myself willing to splurge with points in places I wouldn't have before.

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
So you have now have a total of 25,500 ClubPoints (prior to the conversion).
But what did it truly cost since most of your purchases were from the developer? What is your total of out pocket cost (excluding all fees) ?

Please state resort, club points without the 1.6 multiplier, and actual amount paid.
  1. Original Developer purchase - paid? for which resort and how many points?
  2. Developer Upgrade # 1 - paid? for which resort and how many points? Bonus Points?
  3. Developer Upgrade # 2 - paid? for which resort and how many points? Bonus Points?
  4. Resale Purchase - paid $5k? for 7,000 ClubPoints? at which resort?
  5. Developer Upgrade #3 - paid $25k with Resale trade-in for 10,200 ClubPoints at which resort? Received 12,000 Bonus points.
My lucky Day.... I am traveling with a friend and I just got an update to the Villa at Bay club instead of the standard 2 bedroom (currently on the big island)... Next week is my birthday, so this is a wonderful birthday present I will enjoy. This is my 4th upgrade... 1280 points or about $200... Not a lot but pretty excited about my birthday present to myself.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
My lucky Day.... I am traveling with a friend and I just got an update to the Villa at Bay club instead of the standard 2 bedroom (currently on the big island)... Next week is my birthday, so this is a wonderful birthday present I will enjoy. This is my 4th upgrade... 1280 points or about $200... Not a lot but pretty excited about my birthday present to myself.
Nice! Happy Birthday :)

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Nice. We just stayed in the Villa in April and really liked it.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Upgrade was to Elite Plus and Max premiere at the new level. Enjoy your new status and its benefits.

I have made developer purchases to enroll resale units with Marriott Vacations Club but have stayed resale only with HGVC.

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I thought Cliff upgraded to Elite Premiere?
I think that he is using the new HGV Max elite levels (to ensure that everything is all confusing). This way he will be able to be upgraded to the next level at his next owner's update.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think that he is using the new HGV Max elite levels (to ensure that everything is all confusing). This way he will be able to be upgraded to the next level at his next owner's update.
I can buy resale and then get to the new premier plus (formerly Elite plus). The new rule is that resale can not take advantage of HGV plus nor the last 30 day specials. If you do upgrade them they count toward status.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can buy resale and then get to the new premier plus (formerly Elite plus). The new rule is that resale can not take advantage of HGV plus nor the last 30 day specials. If you do upgrade them they count toward status.
Do you mean resale from HGVC properties or resale from properties managed by HGVC like Scotland? I know the Scotland resale count toward elite status and assume, since they do, they would also count toward HGV Max Tiers levels. I don't have any proof of that so it would be good to hear from others who are in Max and have resale that are elite eligible and if they counted toward the Max Tiers.

Also, since you are in Max, do you see the Max logos in your HGVC portal? Also, do you see Elite levels or Max Tiers and/or HVC properties? I have heard from others who are new owners after April 4th, that they have Max logo in their portal but no access to HVC yet and no mention of whether their portal tells them their Tier status. I also have heard that those that upgraded or purchased between January 14th and April 4th, that they are still waiting for the Opt In email to get access to Max so nothing has changed for them.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I can buy resale and then get to the new premier plus (formerly Elite plus).
I don’t understand your statement. Are you saying that you can buy another resale to reach the new premier plus level and even more resale to reach centum?

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
I highly doubt this is a case. Probably salesman's lies.

WORLD TRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could you clarify what you're describing here? As I understand, you're already at the Elite Plus level.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t understand your statement. Are you saying that you can buy another resale to reach the new premier plus level and even more resale to reach centum?
Yes, you can still buy resale and upgrade them to count toward status

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Just thinking about this and seeing an option to save some money and putting this out.

Since Cliff already bought 14K direct points for elite level. Then Cliff spent an additional $31.5K to purchase 10K direct points to get to elite plus. That is sunk money already paid to HGVC.

Cliff enjoys and wants the elite perks. Seems open to paying again to upgrade to achieve highest level of elite premiere. Enjoys and values the upgrades and other perks of elite.

Cliff could have bought 3 Scottish 7K contracts for around $15k and got 21K points. Would have been Elite Premiere instead of Plus. So paying less than half last upgrade price for almost double the points and achieving Elite Premiere instead of Plus. Wouldn't you qualify for more upgrades at the higher level? And more perks and higher in pecking order to get those upgrades?

Only drawbacks I see. Cliff did not need 10K more HGVC points. In his posts, it seems like he is open to spending more money on buying a resale and paying 30K to upgrade. Based on that info, the only risky part is the exchange rate of the dollar for paying maintenance fees. You have hedged that with the $15K (no counting interest) saved Instead of upgrading your resale unit. Lastly no max enrollment.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just thinking about this and seeing an option to save some money and putting this out.

Since Cliff already bought 14K direct points for elite level. Then Cliff spent an additional $31.5K to purchase 10K direct points to get to elite plus. That is sunk money already paid to HGVC.

Cliff enjoys and wants the elite perks. Seems open to paying again to upgrade to achieve highest level of elite premiere. Enjoys and values the upgrades and other perks of elite.

Cliff could have bought 3 Scottish 7K contracts for around $15k and got 21K points. Would have been Elite Premiere instead of Plus. So paying less than half last upgrade price for almost double the points and achieving Elite Premiere instead of Plus. Wouldn't you qualify for more upgrades at the higher level? And more perks and higher in pecking order to get those upgrades?

Only drawbacks I see. Cliff did not need 10K more HGVC points. In his posts, it seems like he is open to spending more money on buying a resale and paying 30K to upgrade. Based on that info, the only risky part is the exchange rate of the dollar for paying maintenance fees. You have hedged that with the $15K (no counting interest) saved Instead of upgrading your resale unit. Lastly no max enrollment.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
Actually, I paid about $2k for each of my Craigendarroch properties so about $14k for 46,400 elite eligible points.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to see if the ability to buy resale Scotland from HGVC Scotland
Cliff could have bought 3 Scottish 7K contracts for around $15k and got 21K points
Actually, I paid about $2k for each of my Craigendarroch properties so about $14k for 46,400 elite eligible points.
The thing here that gets confusing to a lot of people is the term 'resale' that gets thrown about re: Scotland.

There are certainly resale HGVC weeks in Scotland available. They are on EBAY, Redweek from time to time, Diane's website, and others. Another good source is Worldwide Timeshare Hypermarket. I have purchased resale there for as low as $1200 (GBP) for a 7k (old points) platinum week.

None of these are Elite eligible.

If you purchase a week from the HGVC Sales team, this is a developer sale, and all developer sales are elite eligible. This it not unique to Scotland, but all other HGVC locations are the same. When you buy a week at SeaWorld from the HGVC sale team, this is not a NEW week, it has most likely been previously sold to someone else, and taken back by HGVC in some form or fashion. Marriot VC has for years done the same thing. If it is sold by the developer sales team, it is a developer sale.

The only difference is in Scotland HGVC has no budget to BUY or take back weeks from owners. An owner signs a listing agreement with HGVC and if the sales team finds a buyer, all the paperwork is signed, the new owner pays HGVC, and HGVC pays the original owner their agreed amount ( which of course is less commission). Again, Marriott used to (and by a recent posting still does) do the same thing. I bought one from MVC this way, at Monarch. It was still deeded in the original owner's name and they were still paying MF's. However my purchase was direct from Marriott with all the developer benefits. Yes, it was a 'resale' but it would be misleading to call it that.

I agree that a direct purchase from one of the Scotland resorts CAN have some great financial benefits.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The thing here that gets confusing to a lot of people is the term 'resale' that gets thrown about re: Scotland.

There are certainly resale HGVC weeks in Scotland available. They are on EBAY, Redweek from time to time, Diane's website, and others. Another good source is Worldwide Timeshare Hypermarket. I have purchased resale there for as low as $1200 (GBP) for a 7k (old points) platinum week.

None of these are Elite eligible.

If you purchase a week from the HGVC Sales team, this is a developer sale, and all developer sales are elite eligible. This it not unique to Scotland, but all other HGVC locations are the same. When you buy a week at SeaWorld from the HGVC sale team, this is not a NEW week, it has most likely been previously sold to someone else, and taken back by HGVC in some form or fashion. Marriot VC has for years done the same thing. If it is sold by the developer sales team, it is a developer sale.

The only difference is in Scotland HGVC has no budget to BUY or take back weeks from owners. An owner signs a listing agreement with HGVC and if the sales team finds a buyer, all the paperwork is signed, the new owner pays HGVC, and HGVC pays the original owner their agreed amount ( which of course is less commission). Again, Marriott used to (and by a recent posting still does) do the same thing. I bought one from MVC this way, at Monarch. It was still deeded in the original owner's name and they were still paying MF's. However my purchase was direct from Marriott with all the developer benefits. Yes, it was a 'resale' but it would be misleading to call it that.

I agree that a direct purchase from one of the Scotland resorts CAN have some great financial benefits.
For Scotland resale, if you buy from a third party, such as Ebay, etc., they aren't elite eligible but if you buy from the HGVC office working for the resort who is playing the middleman, like you said, to sell for an owner, it is elite eligible. It is still resale but just resale from HGVC directly versus another third party. I guess that you could argue that most Scotland properties do not have any retail/developer ownerships to sell any longer so it is just resale. My point is though, you are paying resale price for a week ownership that counts toward elite status. I know. I am Elite Premier and I only own 1 retail property.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is still resale but just resale from HGVC
That comment is what gets people confused. It is NOT resale anymore than the weeks that Vistana, Wyndham, or any other timeshare system sells. 95% were previously 'sold' to someone else.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That comment is what gets people confused. It is NOT resale anymore than the weeks that Vistana, Wyndham, or any other timeshare system sells. 95% were previously 'sold' to someone else.
I understand your argument but the difference is that you are buying from another owner not from the resort. In the case of Scotland, HGVC is just playing the middleman like Judi and LT Transfers do. Yes, most "retail" properties were owned by a previous owner but not any longer. They are owned by HGVC and sold as retail/developer..... Because they are owned by the developer.

That is why the ones that we are referring to are still considered resale.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And just to add. You don't get all the benefits of retail, otherwise, I would be in Max. So, the system sees these as resale also but just special ones since they are bought from the resort so they are elite eligible but there has been discussion of that ending.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
I understand your argument but the difference is that you are buying from another owner not from the resort. In the case of Scotland, HGVC is just playing the middleman like Judi and LT Transfers do. Yes, most "retail" properties were owned by a previous owner but not any longer. They are owned by HGVC and sold as retail/developer..... Because they are owned by the developer.

That is why the ones that we are referring to are still considered resale.
Not to get sideways in this conversation but aren’t the Scotland properties RTU? If so what is the end date?

Sean

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One difference is that for other "resale", you can trade it in or upgrade to a developer ownership and get the original purchase price from the first owner toward the purchase which you can't do with the Scotland, as far as I know. Another interesting thing about the Scotland versus other resale is the purchase date. For my Vegas resale, the purchase date is the date the first owner bought it but for my retail and the Scotland, they are the date that I purchased so in that way, they tend to align to a retail purchase.