• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Traveler Episode 59... Are HGV Max Premier Benefits Worth It?

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
Everyone tries to sell you on getting status benefits. As a result of the Diamond International merger, I decided that I should have more points so I could stay at more of the new resort options after the merger. And as a result I became a Premier member (formerly Elite Plus). The Biggest benefit for the Premier level is space available free upgrades. It has been 8+ months since I upgraded and I wanted to share what has happened.

In this Video I walk you through the upgrades I have received, how many points these additional upgrades would have cost me, and the amount of additional maintenance fees I would have needed without the upgrades. Hope you find it useful.

The bottom line is that I have had three upgrades. The value in the upgrades has been the equivalent of 21,760 points in less than a year. This is over half of my annual allotment of 40,800 points... This is worth over $3K in maintenance fees. Hard to say if this will continue, but wow this is really great. Certainly more than I expected.

Timeshare Traveler Episode 59... Are HGV Max Premier Benefits Worth It?

Map of all my timeshare reviews

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Props for using proper maths and reasoning! 50% room upgrade rate is really a big success.

How much did you pay for how many extra points exactly? (after accounting for "tradeins") And what was your overall MFpp - both before and after upgrade?

I'd like to compare it side by side with an alternative approach of purchasing HGVC Scotland properties - which also grants Elite points (but there's no "tradeins").

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this. Prior to watching the video I'll pose one thought/question: Was the upgrade necessarily meaningful? And by that I mean - is this something that you would have paid for making the savings concrete.

As an example, we often book a 1BR in Hawaii. If we were upgraded to a 2BR, that would be meaningless as we do not need/would not use the space. Same with a Studio Premier to 1BR Premier at W 57th. Having done a 1BR there (albeit not a Premier, so not as good a view(, we didn't use the space and subsequently changed future 1BR bookings for Studio Premier.

So, in calculating the "value" of the upgrade, the question of whether you would have actually paid for this becomes relevant to deciding the "worth" IMO.

Cheers.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Was the upgrade necessarily meaningful?
Exactly my thoughts also. I think that HGVC upgrades have to be in the same room class, like a 1BR booked must remain a 1BR. I will also add that someone shouldn't expect to receive upgrades for popular resorts or at popular times of the year. This must only work during the off-season. If this is the case, there is a reason that is off-season. In all of my years, I have NEVER received an upgrade at HGVC.

I would also like to know from the OP when you found out that you were upgraded?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Exactly my thoughts also. I think that HGVC upgrades have to be in the same room class, like a 1BR booked must remain a 1BR. I will also add that someone shouldn't expect to receive upgrades for popular resorts or at popular times of the year. This must only work during the off-season. If this is the case, there is a reason that is off-season. In all of my years, I have NEVER received an upgrade at HGVC.

I would also like to know from the OP when you found out that you were upgraded?
I think Cliff has reported upgrades from a 1BR to a 2BR, but in thinking about if they are meaningful, does an upgrade to a 2BR matter if you are a solo traveler or traveling as a couple?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
I think Cliff has reported upgrades from a 1BR to a 2BR, but in thinking about if they are meaningful, does an upgrade to a 2BR matter if you are a solo traveler or traveling as a couple?
Depends on how well you treated your wife during the day....:)

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Props for using proper maths and reasoning! 50% room upgrade rate is really a big success.

How much did you pay for how many extra points exactly? (after accounting for "tradeins") And what was your overall MFpp - both before and after upgrade?

I'd like to compare it side by side with an alternative approach of purchasing HGVC Scotland properties - which also grants Elite points (but there's no "tradeins").
According to the video, he bought 16k points at $2/point so about $32k. That is about as much as I have paid for all of my points combined, about 70k, and about half that cost is my only retail property and I am Elite Premier so if the desire is to up your Elite status to improve your chances for upgrades then the Scotland points would be a cheaper move. Now, the next question would be how those would be counted in Max if someone went that route. I assume that if they count for Elite, they should count for Max Tiers...but who knows.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, in calculating the "value" of the upgrade, the question of whether you would have actually paid for this becomes relevant to deciding the "worth" IMO.

This depends. "Value" has different contexts.

There's "value" in financial terms, to understand if you're making a sound financial decision, and what the ROI is. If room upgrades is the main reason for getting Elite, then yes, that's how you should calculate the "value" - to understand your ROI. For example, I have Amex Hilton Aspire and pay $450 annual fee for it. I get $250 in MFs back, and 1 free night certificate (which I value at ~$200 and NOT $500 as this is what I'd spend for a night), and $250 in airline incidentals credit (which I value at $50 because the beer I get for $250 is worth $50 in a store - and that's the only place where I get my beer - not bars). If you wouldn't pay for it, it has no value.

There's "value" in terms of "using what you already have". For example, my Amex Hilton Aspire gets me free room upgrades through Diamond status. I wouldn't pay for the upgrade. But when I get a room upgrade from Studio 2 Queen to 1 BR 2 Queen with View, which would cost me $135, then this is my "value".

Last edited:

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for doing this. Prior to watching the video I'll pose one thought/question: Was the upgrade necessarily meaningful? And by that I mean - is this something that you would have paid for making the savings concrete.

As an example, we often book a 1BR in Hawaii. If we were upgraded to a 2BR, that would be meaningless as we do not need/would not use the space. Same with a Studio Premier to 1BR Premier at W 57th. Having done a 1BR there (albeit not a Premier, so not as good a view(, we didn't use the space and subsequently changed future 1BR bookings for Studio Premier.

Cheers.
Two were definitely wanted. I invited my brother for one and I had another guest for the other... We could have fit in the one bedroom in those cases but it would have been crowded in the sense of waking up someone sleeping in the living room to make coffee. In the one case it didn't matter... Now that I have a sense of what is possible, I will check with the staff a few weeks before. It would have been possible to have a friend join me for the one that didn't matter.... Now that I understand how it works, I will do more to take advantage of it. At this point, I was trying to validate how much it was working.

Your point is very valid.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

There's "value" in financial terms, to understand if you're making a sound financial decision, and what the ROI is. If room upgrades is the main reason for getting Elite, then yes, that's how you should calculate the "value" - to understand your ROI. For example, I have Amex Hilton Aspire and pay $450 annual fee for it. I get $250 in MFs back, and 1 free night certificate (which I value at ~$200 and NOT $500 as this is what I'd spend for a night), and $250 in airline incidentals credit (which I value at $50 because the beer I get for $250 is worth $50 in a store - and that's the only place where I get my beer - not bars). If you wouldn't pay for it, it has no value.

There's "value" in terms of "using what you already have". For example, my Amex Hilton Aspire gets me free room upgrades through Diamond status. I wouldn't pay for the upgrade. But when I get a room upgrade from Studio 2 Queen to 1 BR 2 Queen with View, which would cost me $135, then this is my "value".
I agree with your logic and I think of it similarly.... I was surprised after getting others opinions in a prior post about how often I would get an upgrade. I do have to say that I appreciate getting the upgrades and it opens up possibilities I had not considered. It is not a hard "value". I am also glad I upgraded my resale because the points are good with HGV max. But don't yet know how to put a value on it.

I think someone said it is a matter of what matters to you...

The bottom line is that Hilton exceeded my expectations and I am really happy about it.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Clifbell Could you answer this question? How much did you pay for how many extra points exactly? (after accounting for "tradeins") And what was your overall MFpp - both before and after upgrade? I'd like to compare it to HGVC Scotland.

WORLD TRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi
Two were definitely wanted. I invited my brother for one and I had another guest for the other... We could have fit in the one bedroom in those cases but it would have been crowded in the sense of waking up someone sleeping in the living room to make coffee. In the one case it didn't matter... Now that I have a sense of what is possible, I will check with the staff a few weeks before. It would have been possible to have a friend join me for the one that didn't matter.... Now that I understand how it works, I will do more to take advantage of it. At this point, I was trying to validate how much it was working.

Your point is very valid.
As I've seen from other Facebook posts, it seems the upgrades are last minute, usually found out at check-in. I noticed one lady posted that she had reserved a 1 bedroom premier at the Grand Islander and when she went to check-in, she was told that an upgrade was available and she would be upgraded to a 2 bedroom penthouse with access to the penthouse lounge. I don't know if you called weeks in advance, that you would know if you would be upgraded or not.

Please let us know if you have success in finding out in advance if you would be upgraded.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Clifbell Could you answer this question? How much did you pay for how many extra points exactly? (after accounting for "tradeins") And what was your overall MFpp - both before and after upgrade? I'd like to compare it to HGVC Scotland.
I bought a resale 7K deed (prior to the 1.6 multiplier) for $7K. This got upgraded for $25K to 10.2K points... My $2/point calculation was to multiply the 10.2 K points by 1.6 and rounded it at 16K points... $7K plus 25K = $32K or $2/point in the new point system. I did not factor in the 19.2K bonus points(post 1.6 multiplier) into the cost calculation.

Hope that is what you wanted.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi
As I've seen from other Facebook posts, it seems the upgrades are last minute, usually found out at check-in. I noticed one lady posted that she had reserved a 1 bedroom premier at the Grand Islander and when she went to check-in, she was told that an upgrade was available and she would be upgraded to a 2 bedroom penthouse with access to the penthouse lounge. I don't know if you called weeks in advance, that you would know if you would be upgraded or not.

Please let us know if you have success in finding out in advance if you would be upgraded.
I was told I could have checked in advance. The upgrade in Myrtle beach from a studio to a one bedroom was know several weeks in advance which was when I invited my brother. I asked for a two bedroom at checkin. I was told they don't update the reservation as that is what you booked. But you can call in advance to check on the upgrade.. Like I said before, I am a rookie at this. Wanted to post the video to have these conversations and also figure out how to gain from the upgrades and get the full value of the upgrades.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I bought a resale 7K deed (prior to the 1.6 multiplier) for $7K. This got upgraded for $25K to 10.2K points... My $2/point calculation was to multiply the 10.2 K points by 1.6 and rounded it at 16K points... $7K plus 25K = $32K or $2/point in the new point system. I did not factor in the 19.2K bonus points(post 1.6 multiplier) into the cost calculation.

Hope that is what you wanted.
You should leave out the 1.6 multiplier. You didn’t gain more points. It was a conversion.
Your total cost was $3 point as you reported in your post last year (see below).

Just an FYI, I was given an upgrade from a one bedroom to the two bedroom as part of an upgrade... My real cost for this two bedroom was 3400 points. But for the video I used the Points it would have cost.

I agree with the people who say Bay Club or King's Land is a better point value. FYI, I updated my resale purchase to developer credits for $25K. My total cost to go from Elite to Elite Plus for $30K or $3/point.... While that was still more than buying resale, I believe over a 5 year period, the upgrades will make it cheaper than buying resale based on my calculations. One of the reason I also upgraded was to hopefully benefit from Diamond International's purchase although I have no hard facts for this decision. I also got 12,000 bonus credits for the upgrade (I valued that at $4k). The upgrade i just received was worth $3K as a best guess (9K point difference). As a result of this, my upgrade really was $20K not the $27 (including closing costs).

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
…..The bottom line is that I have had three upgrades. The value in the upgrades has been the equivalent of 21,760 points in less than a year. This is over half of my annual allotment of 40,800 points... This is worth over $3K in maintenance fees. Hard to say if this will continue, but wow this is really great. Certainly more than I expected.

So you have now have a total of 25,500 ClubPoints (prior to the conversion).
But what did it truly cost since most of your purchases were from the developer? What is your total of out pocket cost (excluding all fees) ?

Please state resort, club points without the 1.6 multiplier, and actual amount paid.
  1. Original Developer purchase - paid? for which resort and how many points?
  2. Developer Upgrade # 1 - paid? for which resort and how many points? Bonus Points?
  3. Developer Upgrade # 2 - paid? for which resort and how many points? Bonus Points?
  4. Resale Purchase - paid $5k? for 7,000 ClubPoints? at which resort?
  5. Developer Upgrade #3 - paid $25k with Resale trade-in for 10,200 ClubPoints at which resort? Received 12,000 Bonus points.

Last edited:

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You should leave out the 1.6 multiplier. You didn’t gain more points. It was a conversion.
Your total cost was $3 point as you reported in your post last year (see below).
I have started to use the new point values since it is now what new people will be using... Yes, it was $3 with the old point values. Sorry for the confusion. But I was trying to be consistent. The diamond Hawaii Collection is sold at $4.50 / point on the new point system. I bought 3500 of those points to get Diamond resort priority for 13 months. But you point is valid

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

There's "value" in financial terms, to understand if you're making a sound financial decision, and what the ROI is. If room upgrades is the main reason for getting Elite, then yes, that's how you should calculate the "value" - to understand your ROI. For example, I have Amex Hilton Aspire and pay $450 annual fee for it. I get $250 in MFs back, and 1 free night certificate (which I value at ~$200 and NOT $500 as this is what I'd spend for a night), and $250 in airline incidentals credit (which I value at $50because the beer I get for $250 is worth $50 in a store - and that's the only place where I get my beer - not bars). If you wouldn't pay for it, it has no value.

I agree with this. It's about what one would actually spend. For the airline incidentals part, for example,. we get $250 worth of WN travel, so this is worth the full $250. I might pay a little north of $200 for the "free" room, but not the GBP 500 we just saved on a recent stay in London.

True. But in looking at whether a financial decision was worth a certain monetary outlay, the return value should be calculated more as the paragraph above than this one. Of course, once the expenditure has happened, this is a good way to look at things going forward.

Cheers.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So you have now have a total of 25,500 ClubPoints (prior to the conversion).
But what did it truly cost since most of your purchases were from the developer? What is your total of out pocket cost (excluding all fees) ?

Please state resort, club points without the 1.6 multiplier, and actual amount paid.
  1. Original Developer purchase - paid? for which resort and how many points?
  2. Developer Upgrade # 1 - paid? for which resort and how many points? Bonus Points?
  3. Developer Upgrade # 2 - paid? for which resort and how many points? Bonus Points?
  4. Resale Purchase - paid $5k? for 7,000 ClubPoints? at which resort?
  5. Developer Upgrade #3 - paid $25k with Resale trade-in for 10,200 ClubPoints at which resort? Received 12,000 Bonus points.
I had two deeds prior to my last upgrade... MarBrissa 8400 points for $5.60/point and 6200 Ireland at $5.90/point.... These were before I discovered TUG. After TUG, I bought the resale and then upgraded to have them count as Developer for $3/point for my last 10,200 points.... These are all pre 1.6 multiplier numbers. Bonus points was somewhere around 30,000 points overall as I used a VIP twice.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
I had two deeds prior to my last upgrade... MarBrissa 8400 points for $5.60/point and 6200 Ireland at $5.90/point.... These were before I discovered TUG. After TUG, I bought the resale and then upgraded to have them count as Developer for $3/point for my last 10,200 points.... These are all pre 1.6 multiplier numbers. Bonus points was somewhere around 30,000 points overall as I used a VIP twice.
For me these upgrades are hard to use. If i have four people i want a 2BR. If I book 1BR and no upgrade that's not good. There's very few times an unexpected upgrade would actually be both beneficial and allow me to save points. I either want and book 2 BR or I only need 1 BR.

I'm glad you are getting good value for you out of your purchases. There are a lot of ways to do the Timeshare gig. I'm happy having paid 75 cents per old point including closing costs and that includes a home week at Lagoon, where we go every year.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

So your total spend to date is over $100k.

8400 for $5.60/pt = $47,040
6200 for $5.90/pt = $36,580
10,500 for $3.00/pt = $30,000
—————————————-
Total spend $113,620

Keep in mind, the sales team will always come up with some new excuse why you need to spend more money (Elite Status, HGVC MAX access, lower maintenance fees, by Hilton Club access, Diamond access, higher point requirements, etc).

Honestly, I hate to see anyone get taken advantage of.
JMHO… Remind yourself of the total $$ spent so far whenever you attend another sales presentation (aka owner update) or simply stay away if it’s hard to say NO.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So your total spend to date is over $100k.

8400 for $5.60/pt = $47,040
6200 for $5.90/pt = $36,580
10,500 for $3.00/pt = $30,000
—————————————-
Total spend $113,620

Keep in mind, the sales team will always come up with some new excuse why you need to spend more money (Elite Status, HGVC MAX access, lower maintenance fees, by Hilton Club access, Diamond access, higher point requirements, etc).

Honestly, I hate to see anyone get taken advantage of.
JMHO… Remind yourself of the total $$ spent so far whenever you attend another sales presentation (aka owner update) or simply stay away if it’s hard to say NO.
Yep... Sadly discovered TUG too late... Only upside is I have always used my points so still less than renting

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
There is also the concept of sunk cost. The only thing you can change is to learn and decide if the next amount of money you spend is worth it.

As you move forward nothing will never reduce what was spent the past. There are also situations where more spending could extract more value or enjoyment out of the original spend. In this case the OP decided that the additional spending was worth it to get more enjoyment out of his past spending by increasing his status to elite plus, getting more points and adding more resort options to the points he owned. Nothing wrong with that.

We overpaid for our original developer purchase. Nothing we can do can change that. But like many Tuggers. we doubled down and bought more resales to extract more value out of that original spend and to earn Elite. Although I wouldn't have spent the entire amount up-front to get Elite, the incremental cost to achieve it was worth it to get the additional perks and enjoyment.

Some people buy expensive luxury cars, others buy basic used. Each decision is personal - neither decision is wrong if one can afford it and it is enjoyed.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
There is also the concept of sunk cost. The only thing you can change is to learn and decide if the next amount of money you spend is worth it.
Agreed, over 50% of Tuggers have purchased directly from the developer.

As you move forward nothing will never reduce what was spent the past. There are also situations where more spending could extract more value or enjoyment out of the original spend. In this case the OP decided that the additional spending was worth it to get more enjoyment out of his past spending by increasing his status to elite plus, getting more points and adding more resort options to the points he owned. Nothing wrong with that.
Agreed, I didn’t say otherwise ;)

We overpaid for our original developer purchase. Nothing we can do can change that. But like many Tuggers. we doubled down and bought more resales to extract more value out of that original spend and to earn Elite. Although I wouldn't have spent the entire amount up-front to get Elite, the incremental cost to achieve it was worth it to get the additional perks and enjoyment.

I think the OP would learn a lot more by researching a little more on TUG ;)

There are a lot of folks who have learned how to maximize their ownership by reading and researching on TUG and have used developer purchases to further their goals.

Some people buy expensive luxury cars, others buy basic used. Each decision is personal - neither decision is wrong if one can afford it and it is enjoyed.
Agreed, we all have different thresholds but there’s nothing wrong with cautioning someone.
Sometimes it helps to take a step back and re-assess.

Lots of folks take their time to research before they purchase a major appliance, car, airfare, etc.
Lots of folks try to figure out the best use of frequent flyer miles or hotel points, how to get discount tickets, etc..
Lots of folks go to a timeshare presentation and get caught up in the deal of the day. They spend way more money without any research at all.