• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thoughts On Buying A Timeshare

GrampaTim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Seapointe
Many years ago, when we purchased our very first timeshare ( from the developer ), there was no resale market. Fortunately, we met with a very ethical salesman, with a no pressure presentation, and a company that really focused on making timesharing a positive experience.

One piece of advice stood out above all others for us. "Although you may trade your week sometimes, we suggest you make your purchase where you will want to go each year to vacation."

That is exactly what we did. A few years later, we exchanged that one for a larger unit down the road, and then added a couple of units for the same week as the family grew.

Every August we head down the road to Carlsbad where our kids, and their kids, join us for a week of memories. One of our weeks is deposited in RCI points, and we've enjoyed many other locations over the years ( in addition to our summer week ). Each year when I see the MF bill come in, and think maybe it's time to consider unloading one or two, the "cousins" start talking about their plans to be together for the week, and all the memories we have made there. To me, the MF fees are high ( but not by comparison ) but then I realize the cost of maintaining an ocean front property is high, and they do an excellent job of staying on top of everything and making it a very pleasant week.

Many people here often ask about the "good deals" when shopping, and see it as an investment. I harken back to the words of our original salesperson, and focus on the real value of a timeshare: The Vacation. Will it be a place that really relaxes you ? Can you make the deal "stress free". Will you have years of wonderful memories ? To me, those are the important questions. Getting a good deal is nice, but not if the purchase places you somewhere you will not enjoy year after year.

My point ? Before investing in any timeshare, be sure you know the property. Is this a place you will want to visit regularly ? Will it continue to meet your interests in the years to come ? Then do your due dilligence. Check out the staff ( attitudes, attention to detail, management ), and especially the financial status of the property. Forget about any promises and lofty plans they may present. Look at the history. Be sure this will be a place where you can be happy vacationing year after year. It worked well for us.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Many years ago, when we purchased our very first timeshare ( from the developer ), there was no resale market. Fortunately, we met with a very ethical salesman, with a no pressure presentation, and a company that really focused on making timesharing a positive experience.

One piece of advice stood out above all others for us. "Although you may trade your week sometimes, we suggest you make your purchase where you will want to go each year to vacation."

That is exactly what we did. A few years later, we exchanged that one for a larger unit down the road, and then added a couple of units for the same week as the family grew.

Every August we head down the road to Carlsbad where our kids, and their kids, join us for a week of memories. One of our weeks is deposited in RCI points, and we've enjoyed many other locations over the years ( in addition to our summer week ). Each year when I see the MF bill come in, and think maybe it's time to consider unloading one or two, the "cousins" start talking about their plans to be together for the week, and all the memories we have made there. To me, the MF fees are high ( but not by comparison ) but then I realize the cost of maintaining an ocean front property is high, and they do an excellent job of staying on top of everything and making it a very pleasant week.

Many people here often ask about the "good deals" when shopping, and see it as an investment. I harken back to the words of our original salesperson, and focus on the real value of a timeshare: The Vacation. Will it be a place that really relaxes you ? Can you make the deal "stress free". Will you have years of wonderful memories ? To me, those are the important questions. Getting a good deal is nice, but not if the purchase places you somewhere you will not enjoy year after year.

My point ? Before investing in any timeshare, be sure you know the property. Is this a place you will want to visit regularly ? Will it continue to meet your interests in the years to come ? Then do your due dilligence. Check out the staff ( attitudes, attention to detail, management ), and especially the financial status of the property. Forget about any promises and lofty plans they may present. Look at the history. Be sure this will be a place where you can be happy vacationing year after year. It worked well for us.
Thank you, and well said. Needless to say, I agree with everything you said and, though several years behind you, am doing everything you recommended.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
My point ? Before investing in any timeshare, be sure you know the property. Is this a place you will want to visit regularly ? Will it continue to meet your interests in the years to come ? Then do your due dilligence. Check out the staff ( attitudes, attention to detail, management ), and especially the financial status of the property. Forget about any promises and lofty plans they may present. Look at the history. Be sure this will be a place where you can be happy vacationing year after year.

Pretty much every TUGger will echo what you said. The problem lies with the many new ones who come on here after going to one of those sales presentations and getting conned and pressured into buying something they don't need with money they don't have. True, they have to accept their fair share of responsibility and the blame, but hey, we all know how these sales presentations work and that they don't give buyers time to research.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
My first timeshare was purchased at a resort I loved. Unfortunately I was priced out by high maint fee costs.

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, Tim, you are living the dream that timeshares have to offer and that salespeople are supposed to sell honestly. Sadly, however, the days of ethical sales seem a distant memory and, as LannyPC stated, they sell timeshares with duplicity. The beauty of shared vacations is invaluable and you have given your extended family the gist of memories. How lucky you all are! Thank you for sharing such a lovely story.

Judi