• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Things to do near Massanutten?

lalahe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Seaside Resort
Holiday Inn Holiday Hills
We will be there the week of Thanksgiving and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for things to do and places to eat anywhere in the area? I don’t mind day trips.
So far I have:
- Mount Vernon
- Monticello
- Luray Caverns

any other day trips or things anyone can suggest?

Thanks so much!
Mary Ellen

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Unfortunately Nov-mid April can be kind of chilly and not as ideal for day trips.
I'd wait until you could visit in late spring-earlier fall for visiting Shenandoah national park.

There are a bunch of wineries in the area including ones that have indoor areas and outdoor firepits and heaters like Cross keys. I would skip Mount Vernon and add that to a DC trip for another time.

lalahe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What do you suggest for this trip since it’s going to be during a chilly time? Looks like it will average a high of around 45-50 and the lows from 24-40 during the week we will be there. Would love some things to do vs just stuck in the resort all day. I appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you!

lalahe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will def check out the wineries!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
New Market battlefield. You could probably add that with Luray.

Also a lot of good breweries in the area. Pale Fire is the best for beer.

lalahe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
New Market battlefield. You could probably add that with Luray.

Also a lot of good breweries in the area. Pale Fire is the best for beer.
Thank you!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Montpelier (James Madison) home is 1 hr from Mass. You can combine with Charlottesville/Monticello. C is a very nice town (U VA). DC is almost as close as Mount Vernon. You could combine for a very long day. But, I agree with other poster and I'd skip. A bit farther, the other way, is Colonial Williamsburg. But, the drive time might be the same as driving into DC/MtV. We love Williamsburg.

Last edited:

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
We enjoyed a day trip from Massanutten to Appomattox Courthouse National Park - we had visited Bull Run on the way to Massanutten from Dulles airport. We were also pretty pleased with the dining at Massanutten itself.

lalahe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QUOTE="elaine, post: 2695202, member: 1489"]
Montpelier (James Madison) home is 1 hr from Mass. You can combine with Charlottesville/Monticello. C is a very nice town (U VA). DC is almost as close as Mount Vernon. You could combine for a very long day. But, I agree with other poster and I'd skip. A bit farther, the other way, is Colonial Williamsburg. But, the drive time might be the same as driving into DC/MtV. We love Williamsburg.
[/QUOTE]

thank you!!! I hadn’t heard of a few of these and will check them out!!

lalahe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you make the trip to Monticello , I highly recommend Michie Tavern - they are close to each other. MT serves a colonial style meal and often has reenactors portraying famous people from that time.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Williamsburg is most of three hours away. And, it deserves a trip of its own so I'd postpone it.

If you have children of near-college age, shoot into Harrisonburg and tour James Madison University. It's a gem, both academically and facilities-wise. Our son graduated JMU in 2004 and it has only gotten bigger and better. Harrisonburg is a nice little town anyway with lots of decent restaurants. Biggest problem is a feed mill and when the wind is right (by that I mean wrong), Harrisonburg takes on an air of its own!

There's a mountain called Reddish Knob on the VA-WV border. I have no idea how to get there -- son drove. But Google Maps knows! Great views and worth the hour or so it takes to get there if you have a crystal clear day, which you are likely to have Thanksgiving Week.

Natural Bridge is one hour south once you get on I-81.

Skyline Drive starts at Front Royal and runs south to where it crosses I-64 and changes to the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Blue Ridge Parkway continues south and west and ends in Cherokee, NC. There are several places to jump on/off.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
If you make the trip to Monticello , I highly recommend Michie Tavern - they are close to each other. MT serves a colonial style meal and often has reenactors portraying famous people from that time.
Also if you make the trip to Monticello, I would also recommend a visit to nearby James Madison's Montpelier, 11350 Constitution Hwy, Montpelier
Station, VA 22957

James Madison's Montpelier, located in Orange County, Virginia, was the plantation house of the Madison family, including fourth president of the United States, James Madison, and his wife Dolley.

Richard

lalahe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s awesome thank you!!!

LStormont

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be there the week of Thanksgiving and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for things to do and places to eat anywhere in the area? I don’t mind day trips.
So far I have:
- Mount Vernon
- Monticello
- Luray Caverns

any other day trips or things anyone can suggest?

Thanks so much!
Mary Ellen
Depending on the weather, I highly recommend Virginia Safari Park https://www.virginiasafaripark.com/

lalahe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Williamsburg is most of three hours away. And, it deserves a trip of its own so I'd postpone it.

If you have children of near-college age, shoot into Harrisonburg and tour James Madison University. It's a gem, both academically and facilities-wise. Our son graduated JMU in 2004 and it has only gotten bigger and better. Harrisonburg is a nice little town anyway with lots of decent restaurants. Biggest problem is a feed mill and when the wind is right (by that I mean wrong), Harrisonburg takes on an air of its own!

There's a mountain called Reddish Knob on the VA-WV border. I have no idea how to get there -- son drove. But Google Maps knows! Great views and worth the hour or so it takes to get there if you have a crystal clear day, which you are likely to have Thanksgiving Week.

Natural Bridge is one hour south once you get on I-81.

Skyline Drive starts at Front Royal and runs south to where it crosses I-64 and changes to the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Blue Ridge Parkway continues south and west and ends in Cherokee, NC. There are several places to jump on/off.

this sounds great!!! Thank you!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
For something a little different.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
The Frontier Culture Museum is about 45 minutes away, just past Staunton.

http://www.frontiermuseum.org/

The Frontier Culture Museum is an outdoor living history museum that tells the story of the thousands of people who migrated to colonial America and of the life they created here for themselves and their descendants. The Museum shows how a new and unique culture evolved in early America from its....
FCM.jpeg

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you do get to Harrisonburg, we had some great slightly upscale pizza at Bella Luna, but that was several years ago.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are thinking about going to Williamsburg check out Busch Garden Christmas Town. Their night decorations light displays, shows and amusement rides are awesome, especially if you have children.

Please check their operation hours and prices.
All their information is posted on their website.

Also, adults would like / enjoy touring Colonial Williamsburg.
Please check Colonial Williamsburg website.

Interstate 81 to Interstate 64 is the best route from Massanutten.

Last edited:

beejaybee

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I wonder if the resort still has day trips available? In 2016 we took their comprehensive bus tour to D.C. that visited all the main sights with "free" time at many, such as Arlington, the war memorials, MLK and FDR memorials and the Capitol where we were able to take a tour and have lunch! It was a bargain at $99 pp!

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, Bali Hai, and National Harbor; Summit at Massanutten
I am also leaving today to check in to Massanuttan for Thanksgiving. I did this last year as well. Even though skiing probably won't be an option, there is a lot to do at the resort. The indoor waterpark has lots of options. There are two rec centers open during this time and the golf course should be available. The hiking is great, but the back side of the mountain is restricted for safety during hunting season. They have escape rooms, but I've not done those. I like the arts and crafts and aquatics.

Some of the outdoor activities might be closed for the season. They have a winery tour in the area.
As far as dining, there is a Thanksgiving buffet at one restaurant and a "limited menu" special Thanksgiving dinner at another. The meals that I have had onsite (the BBQ place and one other) were good.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I wonder if the resort still has day trips available? In 2016 we took their comprehensive bus tour to D.C. that visited all the main sights with "free" time at many, such as Arlington, the war memorials, MLK and FDR memorials and the Capitol where we were able to take a tour and have lunch! It was a bargain at $99 pp!
They actually stopped their day trips in 2019. The resort says it was the bus company and the bus company says it was Massanutten. I hope after things get back to normal (post covid) they will add them back into the activity schedule sometime in 2022 or 2023.