• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

the stock market is killing me!!!

geekette

Reaction score
I like your investing style of dividends but do not understand how people can think its only a loss if one sells. When taxes are considered selling at a loss is a gain.

Stocks are the one thing where one can always look up the current price.

Is this what financial advisors tell people with loser stocks? Or do people actually believe it?

I don't understand how you can sell at a loss and have to claim a gain on taxes?? Something is wrong with the cost basis calc in that situation. Or the tax advisor.

If I buy a stock at $20 and 2 years later the price is $10, I have no loss unless I sell, which is a tax-related transaction that I must report. If I instead hang onto the stock, I have nothing to report to Uncle Sam. It may have less value than when I bought it, but it's not a loss until I sell. Maybe 2 years later the price is $40. I don't have a gain until I sell, it's meanwhile a holding with higher price than when I bought.

There is no true gain or loss until you sell. I do believe that. I don't use an advisor so didn't get that from one of those!

Dividends, however, are income, whether or not you reinvest them, and are taxable transactions. However, they are not a gain or loss, just income. I've owned Bob Evans for over 10 years and while I am up substantially, I've paid no taxes except on divs, and until I sell, there is no classification for the lots I own. It's not a gain, it's not a loss. It's simply A Holding.

When I do want to sell, I have some control over taking a gain vs loss because of all the little lots I bought over the years via dividends - high prices, low prices, maybe stock splits ... Figuring gain vs loss is quite a chore in the dividend-payer realm, but, assuming I don't sell the entire position, I can pick and choose specific lots to sell based on what I bought them at and can therefore control gain vs loss. Laborious but worth it to me.

I'm not sure what a "loser stock" is, unless you are referring to a badly run company with outstanding shares that will likely never appreciate? I don't use an advisor so can't tell you what the timeshare pitch is on companies with no viable future. "You can only buy today"?

There are, however, constant stock price fluctuations. For much of 2011, Caterpillar was my star. More recently, Diamond Foods was the star. Things change, prices move. I don't own any losers but I do own companies whose prices have periodically been depressed and maybe I'll miss the writign on the wall one day and have a company go under. I don't consider Cat a loser now that it isn't leading the pack for me. While I don't think this is what you meant, I'm just saying that I've not yet had a loser stock and am not sure what that would be by your definition. Tiny speculative business with narrow market, signficant barriers to entry and established competition with a better product and management? Or, temporary dip in stock price = loser? not to me.

The stock market runs on investor sentiment, not true company value. While many are fearful, I'm on a buying spree.

Investing is a personal thing. I go my own way and don't listen to current hype on winners and losers, DOW or S&P up or down... I pick my own companies based on my own criteria, do my own research, manage my own portfolio. I don't own businesses that I don't understand and will never buy on a "hot stock tip" or because someone else thinks I should. I have a long time horizon and I'm forging my own path. Time will tell if I've done well, but after 10 years at it, my holdings are worth much more than what I put in them. Not one loss!! But, not one gain, either ; )

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
A loss can be a gain when you sell as you get the capital loss for taxes. That can be better move even if you think the stock will appreciate. You are right that gains and losses are not realized until you sell as far as taxes are concerned, outside of certain circumstances.

But for assets the market value is a much better reflection then the book value. I would base my financial and investment decisions on market values.

Either way you seem to have a good understanding on investing.

Its too bad the buy and hold investors can be at the mercy of the day traders.

Nickfromct

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone seems to dump on fixed income from corporate bonds. About 40% of my portfolio is in fixed income and I must say it let's me sleep at night. Every one of the bonds could be sold today for more than I paid and mature at different times...yet when cashed in I get 100% of my principle.

Here are the corporate bonds in my portfolio...I can't make this return on stocks in this market and the yields on 'safe' stocks aren't anywhere near these bonds. Selling them doesn't make sense to me.

SunLife to 2014 at 7.9%
Enbridge to 2019 at 4.77%
Transcanada to 2013 at 5.05%
Bell Canada to 2017 at 5.0%
Royal Bank to 2018 at 4.84%
Royal Bank to 2014 at 5.95%
National Bank to 2018 at 7.235%
Fairfax to 2020 at 7.25%
Bank of Montreal to 2014 at 5.474%
Scotia Bank to 2012 at 6.626%

The largest holding in my retirement portfolio is in a high yield corporate bond fund. A well diversified portfolio insulates against default risk. These make alot of sense to me.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The largest holding in my retirement portfolio is in a high yield corporate bond fund. A well diversified portfolio insulates against default risk. These make alot of sense to me.

A problem with bond funds is that they are valued based on the value of the bonds in the portfolio, not really based on returns. So when interest rates are going down, the value of bonds go up. When interest rates rise, the value of bond funds goe down.

Bond funds aren't priced based on the rate of return of those bonds, in fact they may not even hold them through maturity. They buy and sell the bonds just like they buy and sell stocks in a stock fund. So while bonds can be a good investment, you need to take more care with bond funds. While individual bond funds may look good now because interest rates are low. When rates start to go back up the value of those funds will drop.

Last edited:

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
You sound like my broker it is only a paper loss.

True !!!

It's only "paper lost" when I have to take my Minimum Distribution,
every year too.

Don't trust "brokers".
  • They make money when you buy.
  • The make money when you sell.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a significant cash position waiting to pounce on opportunities in the market. For now, I am investing in relatively safe, high dividend paying stocks and Gold. I have a base position given the current market and the dividend paying stocks yield near 7% from my cost basis. The longer I hold this position, the better I can do relative to bonds and cash as long as I can preserve capital.

To protect against capital loss, I lower my cost basis by playing the volatility in the market. I add to my base position when the market goes down and sell into strong up days like today. When a stock goes up 5% in a day as it did today, I sell off part of the position. Just this past week, I bought a stock to take me over my base position since it got hammered. Since it rose over 5% today, I took half my position off the table, banked the capital gain and will buy back to my original position when it drops again. It has been doing this fairly consistently over the past several months. So I am confident I'll be able to re-establish my position.

Gold has been volatile as well. I sold my entire Gold portfolio when it was at $1775 and bought it all back when it hit $1600. That lowered my cost basis by 10%.

This strategy won't work if we have a tremendous bull run. However, if we keep bouncing around, it works great.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
i am sooo disgusted i am ready to pull everything and put it into cd's .. okay so maybe it wouldn't grow(?) as fast but i certainly wouldn't LOSE the amount i am losing EVERY WEEK with this bloody market. what do YOU think?

I hope you're feeling better about the market today. It's up 6.5% since your post.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just means that it can fall harder. This is not good news for long-term investors.

geekette

Reaction score
stock market will bounce around whether short or long term horizon. That's about the only thing Always True of the stock market. Rate of volatility will vary, but there will be volatility.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Im watching this Santa Clause rally and now realize I could have placed bigger orders.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you're feeling better about the market today. It's up 6.5% since your post.

That's why I am a contrarian investor. I buy when everyone wants to sell and sell when everyone wants to buy.

Sold 1/3 of my Gold. Hope to buy it back when it goes below $1650 again. If it does, I'll double down on my position.

Also, sold the other half of my position in the original stock. Up over 10% in 2 days. Will buy it back when it drops back down to earth which it will given the European market uncertainty.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The overall market had a great run the last three (3) days of the month.

MelBay

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Even if the price of the house never goes up, you will beat inflation collecting the rent that you receive.

Another Mel chiming in on the real estate idea. DO NOT DO IT! My father left me real estate, and I constantly now say "if you love your children, you won't leave them real estate". It truly, truly is the most horrific nightmare I could have imagined. I won't go into all the details, but I would not recommend this investment to anyone, ever.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't sell now. The market might go down another 3% until the index get to 1120. It closed at 1158 today. 1120 is the support level that it has bounced off during the last three months. If it breaks through that support with heavy volume, than it is time to sell. Most technical analysis are saying that support will hold at 1120.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investo...aw+chart&symbol=spy&nocookie=1&SZ=2&CP=0&PT=5

This chart shows the price of SPY which is the same as the index and you can see how the price didn't get too far below 113. The high has been the 200 day moving average and it has not broken above that. I have been trading resistance and support, or selling when it hits resistance and buying at support, but right now just waiting for it to go a little lower and pivot up. It might not go any lower than today. This market has been really difficult to predict and a lot of traders are not doing well.

I would suggest if SPY goes below 110 with heavy volume, think about selling then, but not until then. The fundamentals have not changed. Greece, Italy, and our Super Committee will play politics until someone defaults. The writing has been on the wall for months, but the market goes up and down.[/url]

The index hit the 200 day moving average today and it might retrace toward resistance. The futures are pointing south for tomorrow. If you are loosing sleep, now is the time to consider selling some of your funds or stocks. It is highly possible that the index could push through the 200 day moving average and the Santa Clause rally could be on, but volatility will continue.

The fundamentals for the stock market are the same now as they have been for the last six months. There will be bad news out of Europe that drives the markets down and then politicians, or bankers will say that they will support Greece, Italy, or the Euro and the market will rally. The Super Committee failed. China is slowing down and there is more bad news everyday, but stock investors are buying into a hope that everything will be ok.

It is difficult to say where the market will be a year from now. The only thing that is certain is that the volatility will continue. If the market pushes higher through the 200 day average with heavy volume, I plan to buy in with everything I have got, but I will sell everything just as fast if the technical indicators point south. If it happens, the Santa Clause rally should last a few months.

Last edited: