• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The problems I had at OKW when I traded into using II

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread was not intended to flame Disney or DVC. I was very upset and disappointed that I was treated so rudely but a castmember and that it seems that this is going to be Disney Vacation Club policy going forward. What a shame that they took a nice perk and made it a source of contention. AND I agree with Cindy. All exchangers should be allowed to use the internet that is already in the room. Seems petty on the part of Disney. That's all I wanted to say. I still love DVC. I still love Walt Disney World. I still love to stay on site. I was mad at my treatment and I still am. But, I now even madder at myself for getting involved in a p___n contest over at TS4ms-- for a compete day-- and not writing the letter I planned to write to Jim Lewis. Duh.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
This thread was not intended to flame Disney or DVC. I was very upset and disappointed that I was treated so rudely but a castmember and that it seems that this is going to be Disney Vacation Club policy going forward. What a shame that they took a nice perk and made it a source of contention. AND I agree with Cindy. All exchangers should be allowed to use the internet that is already in the room. Seems petty on the part of Disney. That's all I wanted to say. I still love DVC. I still love Walt Disney World. I still love to stay on site. I was mad at my treatment and I still am. But, I now even madder at myself for getting involved in a p___n contest over at TS4ms-- for a compete day-- and not writing the letter I planned to write to Jim Lewis. Duh.

Me, too. :D I love Disney, and nothing will change that opinion. Our second week was a breeze, because they just brought the keys to the room. We love staying onsite and feel that we get a great value for our exchanges, even with the $95.00 fee.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I exchanged into 1-bedroom BWV in May 08. I think we were treated nicely, but there are some differences on how exchangers are treated.

I came up to the check in desk with a big smile, and as much charm as I could muster (which is not all that much), gave the person behind the desk all my papers, explained that my wife and I were celebrating our Anniversary (a bit of a lie, it wasn't until the following week), and could we possibly be upgraded.

The cast member immediately said "of course" and proceeded to make some phone calls, after about 10 minutes, she told us that since we are staying here through "them" they can't do anything for us. I wish I could say she flipped me the bird or something, but she was in fact very pleasant.

My unit wasn't ready (it was 11am), and they wouldn't work with me to find a ready unit. I wonder if they would have done so if I was not an exchanger.

BTW.... You NEED a car in Disney. Even staying at BWV, you need a car to go anywhere other than EPCOT or DHS. Unless you want to spend half a day traveling on the Bus. Service is also poor at the resort, half finished room service food and plates sat in hallways for days before being cleaned up, even after I made numerous calls.

Joe

Last edited:

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think it makes any difference whether you are an owner or exchanger as far as when you will get your room. We make about 6 trips a year to Disney, at least 2 weeks are thru II, the others are as an owner. A couple of times we have lucked out and got our room about 9:00. A couple of times it was about 4:00, but usually around 2:00.

We have always received quick, good, courteous service as an exchanger. In fact the only less than stellar service we have received was as an owner staying on points at VWL.

I would always want a car at DW, but I don't agree that the bus service is bad. There have been a few times when we have waited longer than I wanted but on the whole I have been very satisfied.

I do agree they could do a better job picking up the room service trays. I've never seen them sitting in hallways for days, but I have seen them for longer times then I would think necessary.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We had a car because we drove from Tampa, but we feel we saved lots of time going to the Magic Kingdom by bus from Boardwalk, because you have to park at the transportation center, then shuttle to the monorail, then to the park. Going to Animal Kingdom, we took the car. We only spent one day there in our two weeks, believe it or not. Next trip, which is December, we will spend two partial days at Animal Kingdom. It was so hot and humid, I had a hard time enjoying the first week there, even with our granddaughter with us.

Carl D

Reaction score
I exchanged into 1-bedroom BWV in May 08. I think we were treated nicely, but there are some differences on how exchangers are treated.

I came up to the check in desk with a big smile, and as much charm as I could muster (which is not all that much), gave the person behind the desk all my papers, explained that my wife and I were celebrating our Anniversary (a bit of a lie, it wasn't until the following week), and could we possibly be upgraded.

The cast member immediately said "of course" and proceeded to make some phone calls, after about 10 minutes, she told us that since we are staying here through "them" they can't do anything for us. I wish I could say she flipped me the bird or something, but she was in fact very pleasant.

My unit wasn't ready (it was 11am), and they wouldn't work with me to find a ready unit. I wonder if they would have done so if I was not an exchanger.
That doesn't sound any different to me. Upgrades never happen by customer request.. owner or not.
They happen rarely, only if DVC overbooked and has no option. Of course I'm sure somebody out there will find a 1 in a million exception.
In short, for the cast member to immediately say "of course" is hard to believe and she likely misunderstood your request (not saying you're lying).

The room not being ready is also common. It varies between resorts whether or not they will find a different room for you. Sometime rooms are pre assigned to accommodate requests.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a car because we drove from Tampa, but we feel we saved lots of time going to the Magic Kingdom by bus from Boardwalk, because you have to park at the transportation center, then shuttle to the monorail, then to the park. Going to Animal Kingdom, we took the car. We only spent one day there in our two weeks, believe it or not. Next trip, which is December, we will spend two partial days at Animal Kingdom. It was so hot and humid, I had a hard time enjoying the first week there, even with our granddaughter with us.

The couple of times I went to the Magic Kingdom, we valet parked for the whole day at the Polynesian Resort. I just told them we were eating there (which was true on those days - just that it was 8am and I had 6pm reservations). Since I was using Valet at BWV, it didn't even cost extra.

Joe

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Disney, Shmizznee.

If I were as "into" Disney as I am "into" my own personal favorites, I don't know how objective I could be (or would need to be) about how Disney stacks up with other timeshare options out there. And for sure I would be little swayed by other people's views & experiences, objective or biased mox nix.

Our daughter-in-law is into Disney bigtime -- already was even before she became the mother of our grandson, who is also into Disney. So the 1st time she & her husband & little boy were about to join us for a week at our outstanding (non-Disney) timeshare a mile or so from the Downtown Disney entrance off Rt. 535, we got there 1st & hid all the regular Timeshare Soap & shampoo, etc., & replaced all those items with equivalent Mickey Mouse resort/hotel soaps, shampoos, etc., that we bought ahead of time via eBay specially for the purpose.

The soap el switcho didn't magically convert our non-Disney timeshare to Disney, but it did say something special to our daughter-in-law, who is a real treasure.

Through it all, however, I have to agree with those who point out that when the Disney timeshares impose restrictions on exchange guests that do not apply to owners & renters, & ditto when Disney charges fees to exchange guests for things provided at no extra charge to owners & renters, then that violates the basic concept of timeshare exchanging. Doing that makes Disney look bad because that practice is bad. Ditto for tolerating that, as I-I apparently does.

Exchanging my timeshares means whoever goes there & checks in for my week that I paid for gets everything that I paid for & is not charged anything extra that I would not be charged for if I were there myself in person. Any timeshare company that chisels around the edges of that is undermining the concept of timeshare exchange. Exchange guests are nothing less than surrogates for the actual owners.

Treating exchange guests as 2nd class citz. is dissing the owners, whether the owners realize it or not -- Disney timeshare or non-Disney timeshare mox nix. No timeshare company should be able to get away with that.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Carl D

Reaction score
The couple of times I went to the Magic Kingdom, we valet parked for the whole day at the Polynesian Resort. I just told them we were eating there (which was true on those days - just that it was 8am and I had 6pm reservations). Since I was using Valet at BWV, it didn't even cost extra.

Joe
It is bad form to do as you suggest. Hopefully you at least gave the valet a nice tip.. seeing as though you were deceptive in order to save a few dollars.

Carl D

Reaction score

Through it all, however, I have to agree with those who point out that when the Disney timeshares impose restrictions on exchange guests that do not apply to owners & renters, & ditto when Disney charges fees to exchange guests for things provided at no extra charge to owners & renters, then that violates the basic concept of timeshare exchanging. Doing that makes Disney look bad because that practice is bad. Ditto for tolerating that, as I-I apparently does.

Exchanging my timeshares means whoever goes there & checks in for my week that I paid for gets everything that I paid for & is not charged anything extra that I would not be charged for if I were there myself in person. Any timeshare company that chisels around the edges of that is undermining the concept of timeshare exchange. Exchange guests are nothing less than surrogates for the actual owners.

Treating exchange guests as 2nd class citz. is dissing the owners, whether the owners realize it or not -- Disney timeshare or non-Disney timeshare mox nix. No timeshare company should be able to get away with that.

Am I mistaken?? I thought CP charged exchange guests for movies, or mini golf, or something, but it was free for owners.

I could be getting CP confused with another place..

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
The Freebies Are Free For Everybody & Everybody Pays For The Non-Free Items.

Am I mistaken?? I thought CP charged exchange guests for movies, or mini golf, or something, but it was free for owners.

You're talking Cypress Pointe ?

Stuff that's free -- pools, workout room, etc. -- is free for renters, owners, & exchangers alike.

Nuisance fees for other stuff -- Internet, mini-golf, PacMan, video rental, etc. -- are likewise paid by renters, owners, & exchangers mox nix.

So far as I know, that's how it is on both sides of the street -- Phase II & Phase I. If that's incorrect, I'd like to know about it.

I would hate to think other timeshares are following the leader in any trend toward treating their exchange guests as 2nd class citz. If that ever happens at a timeshare where I have so much as 1 paltry vote in the HOA-BOD elections or 1 dinky EEY proxy to send in, you can bet the Powers That Be will hear about it bigtime.

Timeshare exchange guests are the timeshare owners' surrogates, period.

Treating timeshare exchange guests as 2nd class citz. is not right & is not acceptable.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Must be someplace else.

You must be as owners and exchange guests will pay the same price for movie rentals, food, use of the game room (except ping pong) and Wifi. At Cypress Pointe Grande Villas owners and guests, and any owners or guests from Cypress Pointe Resort which shares all common areas with CPGV, will pay for mini-golf. None of it required, all very reasonable fees and no discrimination between owners or guests. As it should be for exchange and always was until... well, we all know who decided there are lesser guests and to purposely treat them as such. Bad move.

Carl D

Reaction score
Well that's good to hear about CP.
Although I think the fee *may* be wrong, I really don't care about it.
That may be a bad attitude, but it's just that I couldn't care less about the "timeshare aspect" of DVC. I will never trade it for another TS, and I don't care if anyone ever trades in.
To me it's a lifetime of pre-paid on site Disney vacations. Nothing more.

I do hope exchangers are treated courteous because that is the Disney way. They can ask for the fee in a courteous fashion at check in.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Buying Into A Timeshare Gets A Foot In The Door But Does Not Pre-Pay For Vacations.

Well that's good to hear about CP.
Although I think the fee *may* be wrong, I really don't care about it.
That may be a bad attitude, but it's just that I couldn't care less about the "timeshare aspect" of DVC. I will never trade it for another TS, and I don't care if anyone ever trades in.
To me it's a lifetime of pre-paid on site Disney vacations. Nothing more.

I do hope exchangers are treated courteous because that is the Disney way. They can ask for the fee in a courteous fashion at check in.
Unless Disney gets its owners to pay the whole 42-year RTU's worth of annual maintenance fees up front, then it's hard to see how owing at DVC amounts to pre-paid vacations. Although those annual fees at my deeded timeshare just keep on coming forevermore amen, at DVC they only keep on coming for 42 years or so before there's a benediction. However that may be, DVC still isn't prepaid since the Disney suits don't let owners check in without paying their annual fees.

My condemnation of the DVC policy under which exchange guests are treated as 2nd class citz. is strictly in the abstract. That's because DVC exchanges are through I-I & we're strictly RCI ( -- not that there's anything wrong with that -- ), so we're not apt to be exchanging into DVC any time soon if ever. So it goes.

Last edited:

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is bad form to do as you suggest. Hopefully you at least gave the valet a nice tip.. seeing as though you were deceptive in order to save a few dollars.

How am I saving any money? Parking is already included when you stay at DVC. Tipping has nothing to do with saving money anyway, I always tip valets regardless.

What I save is time and aggrevation of dealing with the Trams and parking at the TTC, especially at the end of the night, where I leave the park and am back in BWV in about 25 minutes.

Joe

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mini-golf is free at Bonnet Creek! I liked the course, too. Not bad.

Love DVC and don't mind paying the $95, but I would like to have all the benefits of owners for that $95. That would include free internet.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was so hot and humid, I had a hard time enjoying the first week there, even with our granddaughter with us.

DH and I just said that exact same thing yesterday. The heat and humidity about killed us both this trip. Not sure why, because it wasn't THAT hot, but yet I could hardly breath sometimes. It really took away from our enjoyment as well.

I wish we could have had a meet up when we were both there too. Maybe next time? :wave:

Carl D

Reaction score
How am I saving any money? Parking is already included when you stay at DVC. Tipping has nothing to do with saving money anyway, I always tip valets regardless.

What I save is time and aggrevation of dealing with the Trams and parking at the TTC, especially at the end of the night, where I leave the park and am back in BWV in about 25 minutes.

Joe
I apologize. I wasn't aware you were staying on site.
It's still bad form to advertise that. Just imagine if hundreds of cars did the same thing.

Carl D

Reaction score
Unless Disney gets its owners to pay the whole 42-year RTU's worth of annual maintenance fees up front, then it's hard to see how owing at DVC amounts to pre-paid vacations. Although those annual fees at my deeded timeshare just keep on coming forevermore amen, at DVC they only keep on coming for 42 years or so before there's a benediction. However that may be, DVC still isn't prepaid since the Disney suits don't let owners check in without paying their annual fees.

My condemnation of the DVC policy under which exchange guests are treated as 2nd class citz. is strictly in the abstract. That's because DVC exchanges are through I-I & we're strictly RCI ( -- not that there's anything wrong with that -- ), so we're not apt to be exchanging into DVC any time soon if ever. So it goes.

Okay, with the exception of annual fees my vacation is paid upfront. So about 85% is pre paid..

The RTU works perfectly for us, and we wouldn't want it any other way. I truly feel fortunate that DVC is a RTU. I don't have to worry about saddling my heirs with fees on a decrepit old resort. Heck, perhaps they won't even like Disney.
Some owners of less quality resorts truly may not be able to give their TS away, thus be stuck with the fees.

BTW- Current expirations of DVC are 2042, 2054, and 2057, depending on which resort.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
You Said A Mouthful.

The RTU works perfectly for us, and we wouldn't want it any other way. I truly feel fortunate that DVC is a RTU. I don't have to worry about saddling my heirs with fees on a decrepit old resort. Heck, perhaps they won't even like Disney.
That simple exit strategy may turn out to be the most underappreciated virtue of those RTU timeshares.

Shux, if I had known about those 3-year (renewable) RTU points-timeshare leases, I'd have gone for 1 of those instead of buying my dinky points timeshare, which is deeded & therefore my responsibility forevermore-amen until I or my heirs manage to sell it off.

Live & learn, eh ?
Some owners of less quality resorts truly may not be able to give their TS away, thus be stuck with the fees.
Not only that, it's even possible that quality won't have all that much to do with it at some point in the future -- that owners of the more quality resorts will find themselves in precisely the same situation.

Who knows ?

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
That simple exit strategy may turn out to be the most underappreciated virtue of those RTU timeshares.

Shux, if I had known about those 3-year (renewable) RTU points-timeshare leases, I'd have gone for 1 of those instead of buying my dinky points timeshare, which is deeded & therefore my responsibility forevermore-amen until I or my heirs manage to sell it off.

Live & learn, eh ?
Not only that, it's even possible that quality won't have all that much to do with it at some point in the future -- that owners of the more quality resorts will find themselves in precisely the same situation.

Who knows ?

I've resigned my membership to Timeshare Forums, actually it was a quit and fire, I quit before they fired me. Can you please tell me what the link referred to since I can no longer access that site? Thanks.

As far as DVC's attitude, and you'll forgive me saying so since I am a staunch DVC supporter, I think they are still in a fog as to the meaning of Timesharing. They, DVC, would hear a lot of complaints from their owners if the resort they traded into was NOT up to the standards of DVC. Like, for instance, if owners got free internet access and exchangers didn't. The fact is--- they don't get these complaints--- because only a tiny fraction of owners trade their points away. Most DVCphiles are actually in it for the Mouse. They love DisneyWorld. They love DVC. They love everything about the membership.

Heck, if you could go on a DVC Member Cruise you would know what I mean. This cruise is cult-like in the enthusiam for anything DVC. The meetings are like Amway conventions with all of us, yes myself included :eek: , yelling responses to simplistic questions from the stage. Do you love DVC..YES. Are you having a good time?.. YES. Will you be back on the DVC member cruise next year?...YES. Are you looking forward to the opening of the Bay Lake Towers? ...YES.. Are you going to buy more points?.. YES..

DVC acts in a vacuum and they won't change. They don't need to. They make money...Why change? The product is easy to sell... Why change? Nobody's complaining...Why change? Who cares about exchangers.. Why change? You get my drift.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've exchanged into Disney a bunch of times and we were always treated very well by the staff. One example was at OKW. The unit above us had a water leak and water dripped into our bathroom. To make a long story short a manager told me she was going to refund us the cost of one nights stay. I told her we were II exchangers and didnt actually pay for each night. She said no problem said she would instead credit our account the rack rate of a one night stay. She credited our account $500!
While I was at the front desk doing this my wife called my cell to tell me that my son must have dropped his Mickey stuffed animal on the way back from the bus stop. I told her I will look for it or get him another tomorrow. The manager overheard and I explained what happened. She personally went with me to look for the toy but we didnt find it. I wasnt back in our room for half hour before she had a replacement stuffed animal delivered to our room.

I think the OPs problem was unusual and bad customer service can happen anywhere. I think Disney in general has excellant customer service.

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always been treated nicely on my exchanges, but the one time I went on the tour, I found the guide to be unknowledgeable about II. He told me you could only trade in once every few years. I told him I'd done it 3 times in one year. I don't think he believed me.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
3-Year (Renewable) RTU Points-Timeshare Lease Ad.

I've resigned my membership to Timeshare Forums, actually it was a quit and fire, I quit before they fired me. Can you please tell me what the link referred to since I can no longer access that site?
Shux, I never even signed up with Timeshare Forums & I have no trouble clicking on that link, which is just a classified advertisement for those 3-year (renewable) RTU points-timeshare leases. I thought signing up with TS4Ms was only necessary for sending in BBS entries, etc. -- not for looking at what's already there.

( If you can't even read the TS4Ms stuff that doesn't require being signed up, is it possible you've not only been quit & fired but also blackballed ? Sheesh. )

At 1 time there was an equivalent TUG classified ad for the 3-year (renewable) RTU points-timeshare leases, which I linked to occasionally in various TUG-BBS entries. I think that ad is no longer on TUG -- I've been unable to find it ever since the start of the TUG Free Classifieds era. So it goes.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent a letter to Jim Lewis priority mail with a signature requested. I haven't gotten the signature card back and I sent the letter more than 2 weeks ago. I wonder if they got it or if it went into the vertical file.

Basically I asked him to allow DVC members trading in through II be allowed the free internet perk. I also mentioned that it would be nice to offer this perk to all exchangers. I told him that Marriotts give free internet to everyone who is staying on their property- whether they own there of if they exchanged in. So far nothing. I wonder if he ever saw the letter at all.