• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The moving adventures of DaveNV (super long, with pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Good Morning, Tuggers! It seems forever since I've had any time to share my life-changing adventures with everyone, but it seems right to take a few minutes now and update things.

1. First things first: We are now located in Mesquite, Nevada. The move from Washington can only be described as an ordeal, but we made it through. Not without a few scrapes and bumps, sore muscles, bone-tired bodies, and many sleep-deprived nights. But we got it done. We had sorted and tossed and given away an awful lot of stuff, but at the end, we still filled a 26-foot truck to the gills - and there was still leftover stuff to dispose of. We still ended up moving things that will be disposed of here in Nevada. I am NOT going to move all this again. But the important part: We're here.

2. Our pets made the trip really well. I had rented a minivan to transport the two dogs, the cat, and my husband Jeff* to Nevada more easily. I was worried about all of them being comfortable, but I needn't have worried. Kona, the younger dog, is nearly blind, and has seizures when he gets outside his comfort zone. Trips to the Vet or Groomer results in multiple seizures, and days of the poor guy walking into walls. Not this time - he had no seizures at all. They all came through just fine.

3. The house in Mesquite is really pleasant, albeit too small. It's a rental, and we knew going in that it was smaller than what we needed, but it's going to work out fine, while we test-drive living here.

4. The house in Washington is cleaned, freshly-painted, and will be going on the market this coming week. Real Estate agents are working on the listing details, and they have all the keys. It's all in their hands now. Cross your fingers for a quick sale. The market there is on fire right now, so we have very high hopes.

5. I am absolutely exhausted. This is why:

I picked up the rental truck and a flatbed car transport trailer on Tuesday, June 23rd, and the minivan two hours later. We loaded the truck until Thursday morning, loaded Jeff's car on the transport trailer, then hit the road. (For any map fans out there, we left from Mount Vernon, Washington, southbound on I-5, then to I-90, I-82, I-84, and finally I-15. We drove across Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, a corner of Arizona, and finally into Nevada, a trip of about 1300 miles.)

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 8.26.32 AM.png

My nephew, a commercial truck driver, took a few days off work, and drove the truck with car trailer for us.

truck3.jpg truck2.jpg truck4.jpg

Plans were to drive to Twin Falls, Idaho, the first day, and stay over in a motel. We made it as far as Umatilla, Oregon. (We learned a fully-loaded truck like that does well on flat ground, but it has zero power on hills - and there are a LOT of hills along that road. Dropping from 60-70mph on flat ground to climb every single hill at 25mph really slowed us down. We slept in Umatilla, then hit the road Friday morning. We finally passed through Twin Falls on the second night. (So much for that motel reservation!) By that time we were starting to feel a time crunch, so we toughed it out, and drove the rest of the way to Mesquite, arriving at 5:30AM on Saturday. While my husband and nephew slept in a local motel, I met with the owners of the rental house, to go over house details, and to collect the keys.

We started unloading the rental truck at the house by mid-afternoon Saturday. It took till 1:30AM Sunday to finish. Back to the motel for a second sleep, and we were back at the house by 9:00AM Sunday morning to set up Jeff and the pets in the house. At 11:00AM my nephew and I left for Las Vegas with the empty truck and trailer, and the minivan. We dropped the truck and trailer at the rental lot, then drove the minivan to the Las Vegas airport. We turned that in, grabbed a quick bite of lunch, and boarded an Allegiant flight to Bellingham, Washington that afternoon. Nephew's wife picked us up at the Bellingham airport, and drove us to nephew's home. I visited with them and my sister (who had moved from my home to her son's home - she had been living with us, but opted not to move to Nevada with us.) I climbed into the pickup I'd purchased to assist with the cleanup of the Washington house, and I drove back to Mount Vernon, Washington, and checked into another motel for two nights. (Are you exhausted yet? It's not over...)

I was at my Washington house first thing Monday morning, June 29, to meet carpet installers. As part of getting my house ready to sell, I had new carpeting installed. While they were doing their thing, I continued to do final things around the property. The carpet was done Monday afternoon (they did a fantastic job!) but the house was a mess. I had no idea that carpet pads acquired such dirt and crud in them! Everything needed to be cleaned again. So I then spent the rest of Monday, and most of Tuesday re-cleaning the already-cleaned house. By Tuesday night, it was sparkling. On Wednesday morning, I finished sweeping out the garage, and loading the pickup for that final run to the dump, then met with the real estate sales agent at the house, went over all the last details he needs to know to properly sell the house, and I handed him the door keys.

WA House.JPG

I drove the pickup to the dump and offloaded the final pile of stray boxes, leftover cleaning supplies, and whatever - and I was done with it. I drove the pickup to the dealership where I'd purchased it, and sold it back to them for nearly what I'd paid, (a prearranged deal with them.) They gave me a ride to my house, where my car was waiting for me, stuffed to its limits with the leftovers that hadn't fit into the rental truck. I waved goodbye to the house for the last time, and headed off to take care of last minute errands. I stayed over that last night with close friends, and left Mount Vernon for Mesquite early Thursday morning.

I made it to Twin Falls, Idaho, in record time, (It's amazing how much faster a BMW with a twin-turbo high performance engine goes, than a loaded 26-foot truck towing a trailer with a car on it...) I checked into a nice motel for one final night, and spent the evening with Tugger @Passepartout and his lovely wife.

Passeparte and DaveNVJPG.JPG

We enjoyed a relaxing evening seeing the amazing sites in and around Twin Falls,

Shoshone Falls.JPG

and I was back at the motel and asleep almost before dark. I got up early, climbed into my car for the final leg, and headed out. I arrived in Mesquite for the last of this ordeal at lunchtime Friday, July 3rd. We unloaded the car, and that, as they say, was that. I had a great night's sleep and now I get to start the "What's in THIS box?" unpacking part.

Mesquite House.JPG

Would I do it again? Yes. Would I do it differently? Yes. I would have gotten rid of everything I owned, grabbed my toothbrush, and headed out the door. We moved a lot of things that were important to us, but there is also a lot of stuff we will never, ever use. As we unpack, I am going to sort things (again!) and if it isn't something we absolutely need, it's going away. We simply do not need all this stuff. If we'd moved everything, without throwing away anything, we'd have needed two trucks. It's ridiculous. We have minimal furniture - most everything we moved was in boxes. Lots and LOTS of boxes...

Major lesson learned: A truck rental reservation is not really a truck rental reservation. I had a very specific timeline to get all this done, and keeping to the schedule was critical. I had a 26-foot truck reserved with U-Haul for OVER A MONTH before the pick-up date, which was Tuesday, June 23 at 3:00PM. They called me at 5:00PM on Monday, June 22nd, (less than 24 hours before), to tell me they did not have a 26-foot truck for me. They wanted to give me a 20-foot truck and a U-Haul trailer, which they said was to make up the difference in space. I was outraged, incredibly pissed off, and astounded that they could just change things at the last minute like that. I asked, in thinly-veiled, QUITE angry tones, exactly how they expected me to drive a truck, tow a trailer, AND tow a flatbed auto transport trailer all with the same truck? Crickets. After about ten seconds, the jerk said, "This is what we're offering you. Take it or leave it." (Yes, he said that.) I repeated my question. And he repeated his answer. And then he said, "If you really think you need a 26-foot truck, and you want it THAT BAD, you'll have to drive to Spokane, Washington, to pick it up. That's where the closest one is." I said that Spokane was 350 miles from where I was, and there was no way I was going to do that. He repeated his first comment, and said, "This 20-foot truck is what I have for you. Do you want it or not?" I told him that was absolutely not going to work for me, and I hung up the phone. What an a$$hole!!! (I will never deal with U-Haul again. Renter beware.)

I gave myself time to calm down, and started making calls. Penske Truck rental to the rescue. Not only did they guarantee me a 26-foot truck and an auto transport trailer, but they had it available by 2:00PM on Tuesday, an hour before the U-Haul was supposed to be ready. (They brought it in from out of the area, at their own expense - U-Haul refused to do that.) I negotiated the price with them, and still paid several hundred dollars more than I'd have paid for the U-Haul, but I got the truck I needed, and it only had 1800 miles on it - nearly brand new. My nephew was really happy with it. Other than the slow-on-hills thing, which I hear is common for all rental trucks, it was a fine vehicle.

So, at the end of this very, very long ordeal, we are here. Next steps are to unpack and set up the Mesquite rental house, buy some furniture, get the Washington home sold, and start the house hunting process here in Nevada. I'm still a bit sleep deprived, but thrilled I don't have another day or two or three behind the wheel of the car. I'm kind of done with long drives for awhile.

Meanwhile, it's sunny, dry, and beautiful in Mesquite. Washington was pouring rain, gray, and cold when I left. Poetic justice, for sure. Now, to see what the next adventure will be... :D

Thanks for helping me through this process!

Dave

* Yes, now that we're both retired, I can publicly confirm the information that some of you have already asked me: Yes, I'm gay. My husband Jeff and I have been together for 22 years, and were married in California in 2008. I apologize to anyone who may feel they were misled all these years. It was not due to any sort of deception. I chose the non-gender "spouse" term specifically to use here as a way to protect his privacy at his work. There are only three Costco's north of Seattle, and only one Head Refund Cashier in each warehouse. He would have been very easy to find. He doesn't participate on Tug, and I didn't want him to be put into any kind of awkward position by someone who may have had an agenda. Now that he's retired from Costco, it doesn't matter. I don't like withholding information from anyone, but this knowledge is something you can't UNsay to someone. If anyone wants to have a conversation about this, send me a private message, and we can discuss it offline. Thanks.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Pass the popcorn!

Good to hear from you Dave!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@DaveNV We missed you!!!!! Onward to big & better things. And glad the worst is behind you.

From what I know about you on TUG, it's hard for me to imagine you getting angry. But glad to know you are human like the rest of us.

I will be anxious to hear about Mequite as you settle in, as moving to the desert is a mid-range goal for me.

XOXOXO

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
@DaveNV Thanks for the detailed description and the pictures (especially like the one of you and Jim :D ). I know you are anxious to unpack and get settled, but you can take your time as long as you have something to sleep on, and something to eat off of.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Congratulations Dave and Jeff! Glad that you are on this side of the adventure.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@DaveNV Congrats on your move! Although it must feel like a lifetime, this seems like you accomplished a lot in a short period of time. Glad you and Jeff made it safely. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in your new town.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@DaveNV - I started to send this privately as you requested, but I think everyone here will agree with the following.

You sir are one of the pillars of TUG. Your contributions here are equal parts meaningful, insightful, helpful, uplifting, and I look forward to your posts!
I hope things work out for y'all in Nevada and you become our expert on yet another part of the U.S.!

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Welcome to Nevada! Glad you made it safely.

Best regards.

Mike

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
It’s great to hear from you again, Dave! I’m glad your ordeal is finally over and hope you and Jeff love Nevada!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome back, ol' Friend. Been kinda lonesome around here without our daily 'DaveNV' fix. It was a true pleasure spending an evening with you- EVERYONE ELSE HERE, he's a REALLY nice guy!- When there's a TUG get-together in S. Nevada, count us in! Happy unpacking and pitching!

Jim

Oh, and Happy Homecoming and Independence Day from one Veteran to another!

Last edited:

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
@DaveNV, I loved hearing about your trials and tribulations. Much like WinniWoman, you have guided and advised us on so much. You and I had a connection in that my husband is from the Seattle area and I have a San Francisco Bay Area background. Congratulations! What an adventure. Take a breath and enjoy your vastly different climate and start enjoying your retirement. You deserve everything for which you worked. I want to hear about this next chapter when you catch your breath.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They gave me a ride to my house, where my car was waiting for me, stuffed to its limits with the leftovers that hadn't fit into the rental truck.
Based on the photo of the back of that Penske truck, it looks like there was still a lot of room in there. When we moved from Ohio to Florida, we used the service that Penske up sells you to after you go through the rental process. Three guys showed up to pack out truck (even though we only paid for two). The packed that thing full! Floor to ceiling, front to back, not a single cubic foot of free space. We still had to stuff things in the trunk and back seat of our car.

Tip: Hopefully you took out full insurance on the truck. We are so happy we did. While we didn't have an issue or think we caused any damage, they sent a huge laundry list, with photos, of everything that was busted and scratched. I know I didn't cause the damage, so I don't know what kind of scam is going on there. Hopefully you took good photos and video when you droped it off.

Last edited:

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that the move is over and done with in spite of the jerk at U haul. Best of luck in selling your house quickly and finding a great new place to call home!
Joan

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
So glad you, Jeff and the pets now have the move behind you. Enjoy the 4th and congratulate yourselves on your accomplishment!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I was thinking about you doing all that work while I was relaxing on the lanai. :D

I’m glad everything worked out in the end. I know your an old moving pro but it always seems something happens and all that work is never fun. So glad that part is all behind you.

Now you can take your time and go through your stuff one last time to really decide what you want or need to keep. I know I would have liked to keep some items but it just wasn’t practical so my time crunch helped me.

The 4th will be a good day for you and Jeff (your husband has a great name BTW:D) to take some time to enjoy and appreciate what you two just did. What you two did wasn’t any different that what my wife and I did, it just wasn’t over an ocean. It’s a big change and I’m sure you two are ready for it. Keep us updated.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thanks for sharing your adventures in moving. It reminded me of our move 5 years ago from Sacramento to Costa Mesa. We did it in several trips towing the uHaul trailer because I have a pickup, then stowing “stuff” in a storage container. If I never have to drive I5 down the central valley again it will be too soon. Neat idea to negotiate the pickup with a dealership.

I call my truck Obama because I bought it new in 2009 using the clunker rebate, trading in a 1991 Ford F250 that I couldn’t pay someone to take off my hands, what a deal $4500 trade value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, missed your leaving & had to check here to see what happened. I am happy for you & look forward to seeing posts from you

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
YAY! So glad you guys are safe and sound in your new spot. Looking forward to hearing about the house hunting. <3

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Congrats to you and Jeff. Your story about Uhaul reminded me of similar problems with them when we were moving from Roseburg to Salem on a Friday night.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Missed you my friend, Jeff please take care of DaveNV.
Hopefully, you can relax and chill. You can now take that drink and enjoy that 100 degrees weather in Nevada. Remember it is Dry Heat. LOL.:whooopie::whooopie::clap:

DaveNV, my Godson, drove from Seattle for a new job at San Diego State University a couple of years ago. In a Penske truck with his car in tow. He said never again.

Please relax and chill.
Remember to Stay Safe and enjoy the Fourth of July.

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Welcome to Nevada, Dave & Jeff. I look forward to meeting both of you in person when we can arrange for a TUG get-together in the Las Vegas area. Having made a similar journey from Washington state to Nevada in a Penske rental truck following our son, who was driving our van, I know what you went through. It's brutal at the time, but so worth it after everything is put away and you've had lots of rest! Enjoy!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would I do it differently? Yes. I would have gotten rid of everything I owned, grabbed my toothbrush, and headed out the door.

When I moved from my house to the CCRC I did exactly that. It was a cakewalk. All I had to do was buy new stuff and schedule delivery times. Amazingly I had everything set up to be delivered between 9 am and Noon on a specific day and it came off without a hitch...

George

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I call my truck Obama because I bought it new in 2009 using the clunker rebate, trading in a 1991 Ford F250 that I couldn’t pay someone to take off my hands, what a deal $4500 trade value.
That's funny! I bought a Honda Pilot in the summer of 2009, and I called it the Obama-mobile! :ROFLMAO: Same deal, traded in an old vehicle that qualified for the Cash for Clunkers program.

Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.