• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Devastated Travel Industry

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I am sure the reason death seems more real to them is because of 2 fellow students. I have noticed over the years that my daughter has been teaching there that the grandparents, especially the grandmothers play a big role in the students lives. I have met a lot of the parents and grandmothers my self over the years because I and her father go to various events there ourselves. I know I myself always felt my parents and grandmothers would be here with me for the duration, and I have a feeling that the realization that something could take that away is a BIG part of how they feel.
On another note, it has REALLY touched my heart over the years the number of parents and grandparents I have met who have told me how much their student enjoys having my daughter for their teacher and how much they appreciate her hard work with them. When she was expecting my lovely granddaughter, the students threw her a surprise baby shower. It was amazing! The gifts and gift cards just were unbelievable! She even received stunningly beautiful handmade blankets from students grandmothers. It REALLY touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes.

Last edited:

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is amazing what contact they are keeping with the students! I truly take my hat off to teachers! My daughter actually over the years has had students who will call her Mom. Many come back for a visit , and a few have even brought their child and introduced their child to her and said this is Mrs. H. , she was my very favorite teacher when I went to school here. I have a feeling your sister has had things like that happen.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another issue that children have to face may be an inability to attend the college they'd like to as a result of family's finances being hurt so badly. I live in an affluent suburb of NYC which has a lot of wealthy families. For a lot of families, financing college has not been a major issue. Now things have changed and I am friendly with parents who have told their children who are juniors and seniors that the parents are likely to choose a college offering the best financial package.

Also, our children worked summers throughout high school. Both had internships in college. Our DD got a job offer from an accounting firm that arose from her internship following her Junior Year in college. We found that summer jobs and internships were very helpful to our children's development. I'm not sure whether any of that will be available this summer in the NYC area.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Bunk Thank you for sharing this NY Times article. It expresses many of my concerns that I have about the effects on all of this for children. My daughter will be entering her senior year of high school. Trust me, we (my daughter and I) are VERY concerned now about college financing, etc. My own job is on shaky ground at the moment. I'm a single mom, so it's all "me" funding this college albatross.

Honestly, I'm scared for her and me. Not about getting sick but all this other "stuff".

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
My Parents were both tweens to teenagers during WWII. The were in Nazi occupied Netherlands.

You often have circumstances beyond your control. You have hardships and sacrifices you must make. These are life and death during the middle of a war.

I think covid-19 has temporarily and in some ways permanently changed our landscape. But we have to educate people and advise them things could be so much worse, and that most things will get better again. These are character building opportunities.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I think it is obvious to most of us too that many people are dying from the virus. But that does not minimize other kinds of suffering. We really can‘t judge and compare suffering. For some people, suicide is preferable to living, or they would not do it. How are we to judge?
@Bunk Thank you for sharing this NY Times article. It expresses many of my concerns that I have about the effects on all of this for children. My daughter will be entering her senior year of high school. Trust me, we (my daughter and I) are VERY concerned now about college financing, etc. My own job is on shaky ground at the moment. I'm a single mom, so it's all "me" funding this college albatross.

Honestly, I'm scared for her and me. Not about getting sick but all this other "stuff".

If she has the Grades and Test Scores do not give up on the Ivy's. They have great financial aid programs. I had 2 kids graduate from the Ivy's (Harvard and Dartmouth). They were there primarily on different scholarships and grants.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We found that summer jobs and internships were very helpful to our children's development. I'm not sure whether any of that will be available this summer in the NYC area.
I know my oldest daughter's internships got her into grad school of her choice and fully paid. Her mentor even said that. So yeah-this summer is going to have an effect that we won't be able to quantify for quite some time.
. These are character building opportunities.
They certainly are!! Doesn't ease the current situation as you are living through it though. It is very hard if not impossible for kids to "see the big picture" and feel better right now, especially with a future of uncertainty. I've no doubt our kids will come through this, but there will be scars. Invisible emotional scars are just as painful when happening as physical pain, and have far more lasting effects-positive and negative.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another issue that children have to face may be an inability to attend the college they'd like to as a result of family's finances being hurt so badly.
It is early still, so these numbers are preliminary, but last I heard Michigan Engineering's matriculation rate was running a little high for in-state students, a little low for domestic out of state, and quite low for international. The international cohort is probably thinking (perhaps correctly) that they just can't get here. But, for the domestic students, the difference in price tag is going to matter. Michigan is roughly half the cost of any comparable place for a state resident. For non-residents, we are in the same ballpark as any competitive private school, without the flexibility of offering significant aid. Resident total cost of attendance for the first year is about $32K. Non-resident TCoA is about $67K.