• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SVO email re: II and RCI Assignments

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I just did this, I simply paid what this years MF was for 2013. I was told if there was any difference, I'd receive a credit or a bill to my acct. :)

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"how do you pay future maintenance fees if they haven't been assessed yet?"

"Other TS have it figured out"

Starwood has, too, and made it very easy. Just go to mystarcentral and find the estimated next year assessment/fee by:

Clicking on "Your Owners Association."

Then, clicking on your appropriate week (if more than 1 week is owned).

Then, clicking on "Maintenance Fee Detail."

Then, clicking on "View Maintenance Fee Details and Make Payments."

Then, look at the last entry: "Projected Fees for Next Year." It's the same as what was due for the current year until the next year's budget is adopted. So, the projected fee listed is what you will have to pay to make the II deposit of a week for the next year.

At the bottom of that page the Ways To Pay are listed.

You can:

Prepay any amount by clicking on "Pay Online Now;" or

Prepay by phone by clicking on "Pay By Phone Now" (the numbers to call are listed), or

Prepay by mailing in a check by clicking on "Pay by Mail/Check (the addresses are listed), or

Even set up an automatic credit card payment by clicking on "Pay by Automatic Credit Card Program" (doesn't seem to be a form for prepayments).

You can do it! :clap: But, why not phone in and talk to a live body to make sure you've done it all right. Salty

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ah... I remember the days when I was new to TUG and posted thoughtful responses like this. Having spent decades assisting businesses design thoughtful and productive systems to lower long term expenses, I know SVN is wasting money. Our money. But, some like it the way it is - don't rock the cart! - and don't like change. That's ok, but not what the rest of us want.

And, let us not forget that SVN promised an online reservation system years ago and hasn't fulfilled that as of yet. Since most other timeshare systems have adopted online reservation systems and more efficient online options (which has already been pointed out is a benefit for those of us on the west coast, or who prefer to schedule vacations late at night or on Sundays...) I think it's clear that the industry is moving online. However, it seems extremely inefficient to me for us to be burdened by having to call SVN (or email them and wait days for a response), paid MF (and wait for confirmation), and then go thorugh a verification step at II...only to use our week at a trading company. I usually deposit early and before an intended use, but if I was in a hurry this process would infuriate me. This is, of course, only my opinion. Let's try to stay positive.

Against my better judgment, Ill continue this circular conversation...:ignore:

There is a reason and a need to have both. :eek:

Well designed systems will create more efficient means of doing common tasks while reducing the overall costs of support for that company. The rigidness is not in the computer. It's in the architect(s) who build the software. Great architects ask the right questions in order to build a system that uses logic to handle given scenarios.

For example. SVO spent 15 mins worth of a CSR's time between the email that was sent to me and the subsequent call I had to make to SVO. Something that could have easily been avoided and would have been unnecessary if they properly architected the website to handle it. Now extrapolate that out by all the calls that could have been solved the same way.

Owners and shareholders should be in favor of this because the less $ spent on CSR's handling easy situations that could have easily be solved by having a well architected website to handle the common tasks
:whoopie:

How do you arrive at this conclusion that they think that? Also, I would argue that full service == live person. Maybe to you that means a live person. To me, that means a fully functional website that allows me to do common tasks without having to pick up a phone to complete the task. Neither one of us is right or wrong.

However, from a cost standpoint, Starwood has a responsibility to its shareholders and owners to do things in a cost effective manner.

The bottom line with too many companies is that the website is an after thought and never well thought out. They throw it together after the fact and nurse it along because someone up top doesn't understand enough about what is needed and doesn't want to make the investment towards improving things. Higher up front cost will net longer term savings. :crash:

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
And let the saga continue. :)

I got an email this morning from II:
At this time we are unable to complete your request. There are several reasons you might be receiving this message, and Owner Services will be happy to provide you with more information.

I will say that its nice that they will hold your pending confirmation for 7 days while you get any problems straightened out. All along, I had feared that if something went wrong, they'd immediately release.

So off to call SVO I went and talk to the rep about what I received from II.

SVO: Yes, you need to pay your 2013 MF's before you can make your deposit.
Me: Yes, I paid my 2013 MF on Sunday, 3/25 and followed up w/ a call to you (SVO) and confirmed I was good to go.
SVO: No you paid your 2012 MF. You'll need to pay your 2013 MF in order to deposit.
Me: No. I had a zero balance on my acct. My 2012 MF are already paid. I paid my 2013 MF on Sunday so I could deposit and use it.
SVO: Please hold. <couple mins go buy> Ok. I see what you're talking about now. Please hold.
SVO: Ok, I talked to my supervisor. It seems our system doesn't know that when you're paying online with a zero balance that it should be applied to your next your MF's. So we have to manually go in and change things.
Me: Is there a reason why the person I talked to on Sunday wouldnt have done this when she said I was good to go?
SVO: I'm not sure since this was news to me. Please hold.
SVO: Ok, I've sent an email to the exchange department to fix the problem and designate your exchange for 2013. You should be OK to call II and have them confirm your deposit.

Onto my call to II.
Me: Explain the situation.
II: So you want to cancel your pending request
Me: <facepalm> No. I need you guys to talk to Starwood again and confirm that my exchange is now valid.
II: <sounding confused> Well it shows here pending, so it should be taken care of on its own.
Me: Are you sure? I dont want to lose my pending exchange.
II: I think so. Check in 24 hours and if its not confirmed, call back.
Me: Ok. Thank you.

I was a little worried about the above exchange but while I was typing this post, I received an email from II saying my exchange was confirmed for KAN 9/7-9/14 (2bd) :whoopie: :whoopie:

So to summarize and help people that are prepaying their next years MF, make sure that you talk to Starwood and confirm that they have made thet appropriate changes in the system to make it available for external exchange. :D

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like the best practice would be to call and pay your MF for the future year, since you will have to call anyways to apply it to the correct use year if you did it online.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
So to summarize and help people that are prepaying their next years MF, make sure that you talk to Starwood and confirm that they have made thet appropriate changes in the system to make it available for external exchange. :D

Don't you love that personalized service you receive from calling to get accomplished what is otherwise available online for the rest of the world?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I vastly prefer to do business online, print out documentation, and be done with it. I find the Starwood Reps. to be very nice - but too chatty. When I want to take care of business, I don't want to discuss the weather, how my day is going, etc. But it's probably nice for people with no friends. ;)

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't you love that personalized service you receive from calling to get accomplished what is otherwise available online for the rest of the world?

:eek: :ignore: :rofl:

Bottom line is I'm going to Maui in Sept now and I'm super jazzed. Time to get my rebreather serviced :D

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
I vastly prefer to do business online, print out documentation, and be done with it. I find the Starwood Reps. to be very nice - but too chatty. When I want to take care of business, I don't want to discuss the weather, how my day is going, etc. But it's probably nice for people with no friends. ;)

Especially for us west coaster. Typical call center hours are usually never convinent with our side of the country. :)

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
deniseM, ... "I vastly prefer to do business online, print out documentation, and be done with it. I find the Starwood Reps. to be very nice - but too chatty. When I want to take care of business, I don't want to discuss the weather, how my day is going, etc. But it's probably nice for people with no friends. ;) "

In general, owners chatting or making small talk with a reservation agent on the phone indicates a warm and polite nature for the owner which would help with making (or keeping) friends.

Starwood knows that and hires personable people to provide service to owners. Sometimes, by nature, they inquire about the weather or how the day is going. I'm not annoyed or put off by that. But, I'm not you.

Those who consider themselves too busy to interact with actual people, IMO, can be the ones with the bigger problem.

However, being chatty or abrupt in a business situation doesn't mean mean that either type of person is bereft of friends. You paint with too broad a brush. Just my opinion. But, it differs from yours. Salty

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
deniseM, ... "I vastly prefer to do business online, print out documentation, and be done with it. I find the Starwood Reps. to be very nice - but too chatty. When I want to take care of business, I don't want to discuss the weather, how my day is going, etc. But it's probably nice for people with no friends. ;) "

In general, owners chatting or making small talk with a reservation agent on the phone indicates a warm and polite nature for the owner which would help with making (or keeping) friends.

Starwood knows that and hires personable people to provide service to owners. Sometimes, by nature, they inquire about the weather or how the day is going. I'm not annoyed or put off by that. But, I'm not you.

Those who consider themselves too busy to interact with actual people, IMO, can be the ones with the bigger problem.

However, being chatty or abrupt in a business situation doesn't mean mean that either type of person is bereft of friends. You paint with too broad a brush. Just my opinion. But, it differs from yours. Salty

For someone who has never learned how to use the "Quote" button, it is a wonder that you even participate on online forums. I'm sure you would prefer telechat. ;)

For some, including myself, it is difficult to want to make small talk when I have to call to do something that I should be able to do online. I'm irritated, and don't want to chit chat. And also, there are times that people are too busy to interact with actual people. Some people have jobs and other priorities, and just need to get a transaction completed.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beefnot, ... "For someone who has never learned how to use the "Quote" button, it is a wonder that you even participate on online forums. I'm sure you would prefer telechat."

I know how to use the Quote button. But, using it quotes the full text of the post - unless you go back and take out the parts you are not responding to. It's pretty wasteful, but certainly convenient, if you leave it all in (like you just did). We all know how TUG members feel about wasting anything. :D

I'd prefer to only quote the portions of the text to which I am replying. Most of the time it's quicker than putting everything in by using the Quote button and going back and erasing the text not being responded to.

I don't prefer telechat over posting. I don't use it much at all. With multi-tasking I can post for a few moments, leave it when interrupted, get back later and finish the post and, in a moment, get right back to running my businesses. Plus, posting allows almost infinitely increased contact with different timeshare owners who may or may not share your own views about what timesharing is about or may or may not post accurate information.

But, overall, I think I prefer face to face interaction because it is easier to size up the person I am talking with that way. Agendas are harder to discern on the Internet and, because of the lack of responsibilty posting on the Internet allows, lies are more easily spun on BBS locations (one of which I moderate). Therefore, I take much of what I read here (and everywhere else on the Internet) with a grain of salt.

I guess I am not like you. I can make small talk with people easily (even in this post; lol!). I'm truly sorry you are so busy that normal interaction with people during business transactions can make you irritated. To each his/her own! Salty

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't prefer telechat over posting.

But, overall, I think I prefer face to face interaction because it is easier to size up the person I am talking with that way. Agendas are harder to discern on the Internet and, because of the lack of responsibilty posting on the Internet allows, lies are more easily spun on BBS locations (one of which I moderate).

I'm truly sorry you are so busy that normal interaction with people during business transactions can make you irritated. To each his/her own! Salty

Quoting then editing is really easy. I mean REALLY EASY. I was just joking about telechat.

As far as customer service, I don't care what the rep's agenda is, I just want them to handle my transaction. I do make small talk sometimes, and I gauge the response from the rep as to whether they are receptive to it. I would expect the same reciprocity. I may not be in the mood. There are probably times when you are not in the mood to be chatty kathy.

In any case, I would likely be really irked and not so chipper if there were certain basic transactions that I was forced to do over the phone. For example, I'm sure many people wouldn't be happy campers if they had to call in to their bank to check their balances, transfer funds between accounts, etc. People have come to expect certain conveniences that reduce the circumstances that require human interaction.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
...while I was typing this post, I received an email from II saying my exchange was confirmed for KAN 9/7-9/14 (2bd) :whoopie: :whoopie:

Glad to hear the exchange worked out. Not bad given the high price you paid for the week.

You should save the reference info that you paid. (Perhaps ask for a confirmation in MSC.) I've had problems where Starwood "forgets" that I already prepaid the maintenance and doesn't credit it to the bill I receive at yearend. It would have been very easy to overpay and never know it.

For anyone who is interested, I still have one more week like the one I gave Hypnotiq to give away here:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163647

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
Quoting then editing is really easy. I mean REALLY EASY.

I also would prefer that everyone use the quote function. In addition to displaying the quote in very readable fashion, it also provides an automatic link to the original post if someone wants to go back and read the full context.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should save the reference info that you paid. (Perhaps ask for a confirmation in MSC.) I've had problems where Starwood "forgets" that I already prepaid the maintenance and doesn't credit it to the bill I receive at yearend. It would have been very easy to overpay and never know it.

Def. I printed the receipt when I was done and also saved the message that went to my MSC message box.

:)

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I also would prefer that everyone use the quote function. In addition to displaying the quote in very readable fashion, it also provides an automatic link to the original post if someone wants to go back and read the full context.

Hey, I'd never noticed that before. You learn something new everyday.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

+ 100000000

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

:hysterical: :hysterical:

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found a new feature (new to me anyway!) on mystarcentral recently. We are able to confirm, ONLINE, our fixed/float weeks at HRA and WSJ. I always had to call in the past. And, we're able to do it more than twelve months in advance, like what's been available by phone. Woohoo - progress! :cheer:

Edited to add:

Received a message asking me how it works. On the home page, there's a list of all your current reservations. For any fixed weeks (e.g. SVR), the weeks are automatically booked until you cancel them, so they're listed two years in advance. For float weeks, existing reservations are listed. And for fixed/float (HRA Phase One and WSJ Hillside), there's a tentative reservation for 2013. You simply have to click CONFIRM and your fixed week is held. It's a great new feature (again, new to me anyway!).

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
jerseygirl, ... I know you have me on ignore. wink, wink!

But could you post the link or keystrokes to make the online reservation? Maybe even in a new TUG thread devoted to this news.

This looks like good news for Ken. He's been patiently waiting. Salty

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also would prefer
that everyone
use the quote function.
In addition to
displaying the quote
n very readable fashion,
it also provides
an automatic link
to the original post
if someone
go back and read
the full context.
I Agree, Quoting is important, it makes everything much more readable

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ride, ... LOL! How long did that take?

But, I don't break the post into itsy-bitsy pieces when I respond. That makes everything less readable - even worse than including the whole original post and quoting things not responded to which are extraneous to the discussion and issues raised by the original post and response.

If the complaint was that any of my specified quotes takes the words completely out of context, I'd agree that's not good style. But, it's not what I usually do. And, that's not the disagreement or complaint here. The disagreement or complaint is readability of what's going on in the original post and the response with actual quote symbols around sometimes all, mostly some, of the original post vs. readability with a big blue box with the whole original post in it and the response underneath.

I remain unconvinced that allegations my posts are unreadable are true. I think they are a red herring and raised to complain about something - anything! No rule on TUG says the Quote button has to be used to respond - just because it exists. Or, that any quote at all must be included in any response.

It sure seems like the responses to my posts seem to understand what the issues are. ;) Salty

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
No rule on TUG says the Quote button has to be used to respond - just because it exists. Or, that any quote at all must be included in any response.

I dont recall anyone suggesting as much, so sounds like you are debating yourself on that point. As far as readability, your posts are readable enough I suppose, although they just look very sophomoric and provide little visual contrast from your own comments. Crude and unsightly, but whatever, I suppose that'll just be your TUG schtick.