• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stupid neighbor in my back yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
A new neighbor and his three sons decided to go for a walk at 11:45 pm and his idiot son thought it would be funny to ring the heck out of the doorbell and run. My son and I went out to investigate. I went out back and to the side and he went out the front and to the other side. We find 4 people on our property and when I asked who was there the older kid told me to blank blank. My son was already on the hill with the 4 and when I went up the older kid wanted to fight. The father said it is none of my business what they are doing in the middle of the night in my back yard and informs me he is armed. Since I know that my son and I are both armed and I have my hand on my weapon and I can see that my son is the doing the same we ask the people to leave and that we will call the sheriff either way. The four of them get really belligerent and I decide we are going to walk them to their house or car.

After about a mile of walking and talking the dad tells me he is associated with the sheriffs dept. We walk the 4 to a house that I know they were not living in last week amd is only 1000 ft away from mine.

I tell the deputy that shows up at 2 am what happened so he had a talk with the new neighbors and came over with their names. I think tomorrow I am going to proceed to tell the other neighbors about this older kids and fathers criminal behavior. I think the kid accidental leaned on the doorbell while looking at empty Xmas boxes by the door. The father and older boy are known by the sheriffs office and the father does not work there.

As the director of the water utilities, I'm in charge of their water, so I can actually go onto their property to check the connection anytime I want. I will be checking tomorrow for sure. We may need to service it at 6am.:D

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a way to contact the former neighbors', I would. They may be squatters or stripping the place. I would install or turn on the motion activited yard lights. It was by pure luck that you learned they were snooping around your yard, peering in your windows. I would also get some motion activated video cameras hooked up to computers installed for when you are not home.

They were ALL up to NO GOOD. And I would file criminal charges and get a restraining order/order of protection against all of them. You have a witness THIS TIME (your son); next time a member of your family may be alone.

Despite your job, I would stay totally AWAY from them and off their property. These type of scum will sue you and your employer with their scummy lawyer. You don't need to lose your house and job.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Be careful. These sound like dangerous people.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Linda. I would STAY AWAY. If you're killed doing the right thing, you're still dead. Call the authorities and make a formal complaint! and keep us updated.
Ellen

pkyorkbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
They sound like nuts....Keep us posted as to what is going on..

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
The advice to set up motion lights/security cameras is good.

Stay away from them. Your plan to check their water, thereby in essence using your employer under this guise, will get you fired in a heartbeat. It happened to a coworker I know that did essentially the same thing, using his 'job' to allow access. Very bad idea.

Congratulations in handling the situation well, considering you and your son were both carrying. This could have had a much different ending had you and your son not handled yourself that well. Good on you both! Oh, and thanks for the endorsement of why it makes sense to CCW! :clap:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Restraining order. Today.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We now think the 16 year old was looking into our house and leaned against the doorbell. We now know their names and have talked to a few of the property owners adjacent to their home. We talked to the owner of the house and they said that they decided to rent it out. So these people are renting.
My neighbor said that an older car has been driving very slowly down our road and thinks it is these kids.
I'm not at all worried about this family of idiots. I am notifying all 45 people in our area as to what happened last night.
We do have motion sensor lights, security screens, security door and alot of bullets.
I finally fell asleep at 5 am so I couldn't shut their water down but will be looking into that possibility today. Very interesting night. Since I am self employed and all properties in this area must comply with a new Federal regulation regaurding the water conections on all properties served by the water association I would just be doing what I have been doing anyway. This includes tearing up the yard with a backhoe.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that there is more to this story than we know. Whether or not there was intentional intrusion or an unintentional leaning on a doorbell while rifling through trash is unknown. That 3-out of 4 people arrive in a confrontation armed is a recipe for tragedy. And that isn't including the police that show up 2+ hours later.

One would hope that cooler heads prevail on all sides.

Jim

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that there is more to this story than we know. Whether or not there was intentional intrusion or an unintentional leaning on a doorbell while rifling through trash is unknown. That 3-out of 4 people arrive in a confrontation armed is a recipe for tragedy. And that isn't including the police that show up 2+ hours later.

Jim

Thank you for framing that better then i could

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
And perhaps "getting back" by doing something to their water will just escalate the situation. Digging up the yard hurts the property owner not the renter.

Stay above their level Easy.

K&PFitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that he did not lean on the bell by accident. I think they saw empty boxes and decided to see if you were home or not. I'm guessing if no one answered the bell, they'd have been inside your house.

Scary.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it takes a specially warped sense of mind to invade someone's property with or without guns. I have come home more than a few times to people being in my front yard going through trash (collecting cans) or just going through stuff that we have out front when working on a project. Several times when I have been in my fenced backyard, someone has come in through the gate and totally surprised me.

Recently, I ended up spending $800. on surveillence equipment and motion sensor lights and bells. My goal is to prosecute for anything that I can. I really need to find out the laws regarding just entering someone's backyard.... then they act all stupid when one of my dogs goes after them.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, a letter has been sent out to about 45 people living in our sub-division, also emailed to the block watches of the adjacent sub-divisions with a full decription of this idiot family and what happened.

To be clear, we never showed or told them about our weapons but the father of the teenagers did claim to have one in his pockets. The older son claimed to have a knife. This was claimed in my backyard at 11:45 pm so the four of them could get away.imo

To let someone like this have a pass is just asking for trouble.imo I have dealt with this type of situation before and it is better to stay strong and maybe make them think about moving on and avoiding me.

I do have permission from the property owner to start working on the water lines and connection.

About 12 years ago there was a chop shop located in a barn about a mile away from my house. One morning I noticed my snowmobiles had been moved and left about 2 miles from my home. I had a trailer tire lock on so when these idiots tried to tow it they left a big black skid mark right to the chop shop. When they realized what had happened they drove across a field and dumped the trailer and sleds by the side of the road.
I took my camcorder over to the field to film the tracks and these idiots were disasembling a honda civic next to the barn. They imediatly let two dogs out to chase me off the field, that I had permission to be on. I yelled that I would shoot the dogs if they were not called off. I wasn't believed so I fired 3rounds into the ground which detered the dogs.
The idiots wife called the sheriffs office who sent a duepty out right away. This is when it was discovered that this was a chop shop and these guys were busted.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are dealing with a criminal enterprise/family business. There is no other reason or explaination of their behavior.

Four males out walking in your yard at 11:45PM. Kid (under age, therefore innocent prank) leaning on your door bell. Hiding in the shadows of your yard. Intimination by telling you they have a gun (in the middle of YOUR yard?). Walking you all over the place (over a mile) to confuse you or have you say "get out here" without disclosing where they are roosting. Driving slowly in the neighborhood - checking out cars, number of cars, people's routines. Looking thru windows at night - figuring the value of your loot. Bet they have barking dogs chained out in their yard. Their cars - are they out of state vehicles; lots of pickup trucks? Go ahead and tell me they are self-employed as driveway coaters, home repair or roofers. They sound like travellers (formerly called gypsies).

They now know HOW LONG it takes the cops to come out to your house after a call to the police.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are dealing with a criminal enterprise/family business. There is no other reason or explaination of their behavior.

They now know HOW LONG it takes the cops to come out to your house after a call to the police.

I believe your right.
Some of my friends are in law enforcement. My son has also been testing to be a State Patrol. His degree is in criminal justice. A deputy actually lives across the street. It takes over 45 minutes for them to get out here for something like a report.

With my letter going to 45 homes and a copy also going to two neighborhood watch groups Im sure every one will be on to them.

The father has no job at this time. The older kid is a drop out. This is info from other neighbor kids so who knows how reliable this info is.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
The owner of that house is an IDIOT. He will be lucky if they set the house on fire - more likely it will be stripped, trashed and then condemned (all not covered by insurance).

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Jim

We really don't know what they were up to but it can't be anything good at 11:45 pm.
I realize that it was a bad situation. I really don't want to shoot someone more because it would get in the newspaper and everyone would be asking about what happened. A friend of mine killed an intruder in his house years ago and ended up moving because his family didn't like the idea of this dead guy in the hall.
This kind of thing unfolds really fast. Once outside and confronted there are only two options. Run back inside and hope for the best or fight back.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
This kind of thing unfolds really fast. Once outside and confronted there are only two options. Run back inside and hope for the best or fight back.

Easy not sure I share your spunk...Your description of the options was flawed...it should have read "Run back inside and hope for the best or fight back and hope for the best"...

It seems to me best probability was to walk away. If the guys are truly nuts like you believe you don't have any idea of whats in store...so what if you notified the town...what am I missing? I hope for the best for you...terrible situation.

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
All is well that ends well except you do not appear to take too seriously absolutely everyone's advice to stay away from the water lines to the house and do nothing re water etc. I ditto that type of advice. That type of escalation does not bode well and may cost you your job.

A better suggestion - make sure the owner of the home being rented knows exactly the type of people he has rented to - ask if they have paid first and last, does he have a credit check on them and also fully advise him of incident and the potential danger they may pose as tenants at his home.

As to emails to that owner or to the homeowner's association, emails have a way of sticking around for awhile so be judicious in your email as to your choice of language.

The only thing that is odd is that I think even criminals harken to the expression - Don't fish from the company pier. They are causing too much trouble next to their home base. Funtime

L

laurac260

I'm not sure what the law is in your area, but in some areas you can only get a restraining order on someone if that person has physically assaulted you. I once had a crazy neighbor threaten to kill me. I called the cops, and he suggested I go file a restraining order. Except that, when I went to do so, the form specifically said that you could only file a restraining order if the person PHYSICALLY assaulted you. Threatening to kill someone did not warrant such an order

BTW, does everyone in your neighborhood pack heat? Yikes.

Last edited by a moderator:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
What a great role model this "father" is to his sons. This is what scares me the most about our future....

Status
Not open for further replies.