• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stemless Wine Glasses

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stemless wine glasses… I like them. But, I also like stem wine glasses. Do you like them or not? Just curious.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
As long as it holds wine, I don't care if it has a stem or not. :whoopie:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Stemless. Costco has a set of 8 for $17 next week, $5 off in the holiday flyer.

Red, not white.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I find stems easier to hang onto than stemless. But frankly, I've had some darn good wine-drinking times with good friends and paper cups. Or small tumblers in Spain or Chianti.

One TUGger used to have a signature file that read something like "Always carry a corkscrew, and the wine will present itself."

Works for me.

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
I haven't used one, but since I'm clumsy, when I saw them, I thought they were a good idea! :D

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, IKEA used to have one size of wine stems. They had smaller-than-proper white wine bowls, and had very sturdy stems. They were cheap, but that was about their only redeeming value. We were at one of their stores last month, and they now have proper sized red and white wine glasses- stemmed and stemless. Well priced and they actually quite nice. Reidel, they aren't, but well worth stocking up your charcuterie for a reasonable price.

For us, the nearest IKEA is almost 300 miles away, so we can't help taking a lap around one when we find one and have some time on our hands. It isn't a quick stop. :)

Jim

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
For what it's worth, IKEA used to have one size of wine stems. They had smaller-than-proper white wine bowls, and had very sturdy stems. They were cheap, but that was about their only redeeming value. We were at one of their stores last month, and they now have proper sized red and white wine glasses- stemmed and stemless. Well priced and they actually quite nice. Reidel, they aren't, but well worth stocking up your charcuterie for a reasonable price.

For us, the nearest IKEA is almost 300 miles away, so we can't help taking a lap around one when we find one and have some time on our hands. It isn't a quick stop. :)

Jim

We have some Reidel that a neighbor gave us, and I've seen them at some restaurants around town. Honestly, I thought they were the "cheaper", yet sturdy, wine glasses. But maybe what we have, and what I've seen are the bottom of the line. ;)

We also have wine glasses, with stems, from Costco. When we bought them we got two boxes of red wine glasses and two boxes of white wine glasses. Turns out all of the glasses are the same, we just notice until we got them home that the red wine glass label was on one side of the box and the white wine label was on the other side. :wave: But I will say, when we have parties we really don't worry about anything happening to them.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm for stems; for me, it really isn't a wine glass if it doesn't have a stem. That does not mean, however, that I refuse to drink from stemless glasses or that I say mean things about the host who has stemless glasses.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer stems ... as white is served COLD but a stem less white wine glass can not be held & sniffed & looked thru because my hand would be cupping it verses twirling it by its stem -- warming it up. As does the red ... I like the look of the wine thru the light .. to see its clarity and depth of color.

Cupping a glass of wine in my hands? For what reason, to warm the wine or warm my hands. With NO STEM, how can I hold the wine up to the light and glaze thru its beauty and charm.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Prefer glasses with stems. i have arthritis in my hands, so it is uncomfortable to have to spread my fingers wide to pick up the round bowl of the stemless. With stemmed glasses, I can more easily put my hand around the stem at the bottom of the bowl.

pagosajim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stemmed glasses for me. I personally don't like putting my mitts around the body of the glass (you'd never do that with a stemmed glass, would you?, how gauche!).

Full disclosure: we do have a few stemless glasses that are used for everyday wining (don't care too much about them and plop them in the dishwasher for cleaning). Anything with a stem is hand washed and dried for consumption of the better wines :).

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
In my house, when we entertain, the presentation is everything. We set an awesome table. (It's genetic: Mother-in-Law was a Louisiana-born, elegant Southern Belle leftover, raised on the Oregon Coast, who never lost her roots, or immense sense of style. My Mother, on the other hand, was a Pacific Northwest born-and-raised, blue collar country girl who dreamed of being Martha Stewart. It'd be a tough call deciding who set the nicer table.)

We have more assorted glasses than I've ever seen in one place. It's crazy. Wine glasses are in a variety of shapes, sizes, with- and without stems. We also have champagne flutes and snifters and all sorts of other crazy glasses in a wide variety of shapes, the uses of which I have no idea. But they look pretty dang classy. I just put them where I'm told.

There are "everyday" wine glasses in the kitchen cupboard that mostly have stems. The stemless type are there too, but don't seem to get as much use. If any of these got broken, nobody would blink. Costco sells them cheap, and that's where we get those.

That said, I don't generally drink wine, and I drink very little alcohol, so this is ALL for our guests. My pleasure comes from the warm smiles and laughter and loving hugs from our family and friends when they visit our home. :clap:

Dave

dsexton

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Beach Quarters, RiverPointe, Westin Lagunamar, Sea Scape Beach and Golf Villas
My usual wine glass has a stem, is plastic and tinted green. This creates a lot of conversation, but the main reason I do this is because we entertain a lot (around our pool) and I can always find my 'green' wine glass when I put it down somewhere. I have a collection of about 100 wine glasses from wineries all over VA, both stemmed and non-stemmed. I allow folks to select their own glass when they come over. They seem to like this. If I'm not around my pool, I usually go for glass stemmed, however I've been known to drink it from a solo cup as well !

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
If you don't drink fine wine from stemware, you probably drink your moonshine from a mason jar.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
My wine glasses of choice at home are stemmed glasses from The Dollar Store! They are nice sized, nice weight, and if someone accidently breaks one, who cares?

Kurt

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wine glass of choice

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 41

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We use stemless for daily / home use. Stemmed wine glass when we have guests over.
+1

As others have mentioned, stemmed are more festive. On the other hand, you are much less likely to knock over a stemless glass (particularly as we age). If you don't mind cleaning up a table full of red wine (which will happen sooner or later with stem glasses), you can use the stem glasses everyday, but I prefer fewer (far fewer) spills. Stemless for every day!

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have Reidel stemless. They are good for red wine, especially if you have to keep holding them. Your hand will warm up white wine.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I prefer stems... because that's what I hold on to while drinking. I received a few novelty stemless glasses as a gift. I have small hands and holding the stemless glass was a bit uncomfortable. I felt like I was going to drop it.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I prefer stems ... as white is served COLD but a stem less white wine glass can not be held & sniffed & looked thru because my hand would be cupping it verses twirling it by its stem -- warming it up. [...]
Cupping a glass of wine in my hands? For what reason, to warm the wine or warm my hands. [...]

I have Reidel stemless. They are good for red wine, especially if you have to keep holding them. Your hand will warm up white wine.
I've never met a person who drinks wine, that would hold it long enough in their hands, to warm it up before they finish a glass. Seems like those people are not drinking, but admiring, their wine.

Maybe that's just my friends and family? :ponder:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We returned from France several weeks ago and of course did a number of wine tastings. All of the wine, everywhere, was served in stemmed glassware. And of course on each tasting, we sniffed and swirled the wine in the glass to assess it before tasting--which is hard to do with the stemless.

At home, we use the stemless most of the time except for special dinner occasions. We have special plastic models for RVing with friends. :p

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I've never met a person who drinks wine, that would hold it long enough in their hands, to warm it up before they finish a glass. Seems like those people are not drinking, but admiring, their wine.

LOL! That's me! I have been known to break those stems, though. After one or two drinks, I don't know my own strength when I put the glass down!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

My wine drinking buddy buys $150-300+ bottles of wine regularly. If I swill it down, I would NOT ever be offered another glass again.

You swirl it, sniff it, taste it with your tongue and savor that taste for a moment or two. And repeat a second time ... preparing your palate for a real sip. I have had some very GOOD wines at his house ... but he has been known to dump an almost FULL bottle down the sink ... at whatever price ... because it was NOT ACCEPTABLE to his palate.

I compare it to a nice dinner prepared and served to me ... I would not gobble it down ... nor would I not engage in conversation around the table with all guests. And a fine dinner, has different wines served with different courses.

Now, if it was a "oh, my ... what happened?" wine session ... different rules apply. No wine ever gets warmed ... usually, a glass is swilled down each infraction of OMG laid out. And I plan on 2 bottles or more for each participant. Food not necessary ... detracts from the details and slows down the drinking of the wine.