• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stay in order violator arrested

geekette

Reaction score

Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne said he wouldn't close the doors of his Tampa, Florida, megachurch until the End Times begin. The police weren't willing to wait that long.
On Monday, Florida sheriff's deputies arrested the evangelical pastor, who has continued to host large church services despite public orders urging residents to stay home to help contain the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister said Howard-Browne has been charged with two counts: unlawful assembly and a violation of health emergency rules. Both are second-degree misdemeanors, Chronister said at a press conference Monday.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne said he wouldn't close the doors of his Tampa, Florida, megachurch until the End Times begin. The police weren't willing to wait that long.
On Monday, Florida sheriff's deputies arrested the evangelical pastor, who has continued to host large church services despite public orders urging residents to stay home to help contain the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister said Howard-Browne has been charged with two counts: unlawful assembly and a violation of health emergency rules. Both are second-degree misdemeanors, Chronister said at a press conference Monday.
I will be surprised if the charges aren’t dropped at some point. However, his actions are the height of arrogance and ignorance. Unfortunately, his congregants will probably be the ones who suffer.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Why not arrest the people at the church service as well?
Of course, you know what would come next.
Overcrowded jails....mass releases...

geekette

Reaction score
that's a good question! Perhaps because they were induced? It's not quite like an employer not letting you work at home, but closest I can come up with.

geekette

Reaction score
I will be surprised if the charges aren’t dropped at some point. However, his actions are the height of arrogance and ignorance. Unfortunately, his congregants will probably be the ones who suffer.
Yes, I would think they were simply making an example of him. Endangering many more than himself.

he looks pretty creepy in the booking photo!

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Officials: Man defied governor's order by holding bonfire with 60 people

Man charged with violating Hogan's executive order, serving alcohol to teens

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Might the unlawful assembly charge be considered "prohibiting the free exercise thereof [religion]," thereby violating 1st Amendment protections? I get that it is stupid. But, it might also be protected. And, I get that the pastor's argument is not constitutional.

The pastor should consider the emergency health rule violation to be valid -- render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's (maybe not exactly what the Bible says).

Pastors like this give evangelicals a bad name.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I would think they were simply making an example of him. Endangering many more than himself.

he looks pretty creepy in the booking photo!
Yes, he does look rather strange.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Might the unlawful assembly charge be considered "prohibiting the free exercise thereof [religion]," thereby violating 1st Amendment protections? I get that it is stupid. But, it might also be protected. And, I get that the pastor's argument is not constitutional.

The pastor should consider the emergency health rule violation to be valid -- render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's (maybe not exactly what the Bible says).

Pastors like this give evangelicals a bad name.
That’s exactly why I said I wouldn’t be surprised if the charges are dropped.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This story is making news. I just saw it on 11th Hour with Brian Williams.

geekette

Reaction score
At least stand outside the door and give everyone who attended a citation. :mad:
Kurt
I might try standing outside the building holding a collection plate as they filed out. Not that I think bribes are cool, but, I don't happen to be in law enforcement, so, if they think I am, well, I can't help what people think.

Then I would donate that money to the PPE effort, since their actions led to the need for more of it.

geekette

Reaction score
This story is making news. I just saw it on 11th Hour with Brian Williams.
YAY! Name and shame. Make an example to deter further BS, as there's another in LA, and I think that one goes and actually picks up worshippers - so they are even closer in a vehicle sharing air!

I am all for separation of church and state. There is no preventing their freedom of religion. They just can't congregate. I would be ok with their filing a lawsuit. It would be dropped after they died.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
YAY! Name and shame. Make an example to deter further BS, as there's another in LA, and I think that one goes and actually picks up worshippers - so they are even closer in a vehicle sharing air!

I am all for separation of church and state. There is no preventing their freedom of religion. They just can't congregate. I would be ok with their filing a lawsuit. It would be dropped after they died.
Dont worry too about them, Heaven doesn't have an overcrowding problem or an intelligence test.;)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Not sure about criminal charges. However he and his church may be liable for hospital bills and family pain and suffering charges for every parishioner that contracts Covid-19. I can see the lawyers salivating now...the SIP order and arrest further supports the case.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I hope we do not see Covid-19 lawsuits. It is really impossible to know who infected who. If it happens at a particular place, it is unfair to blame the place. I just read a story about the small town in Georgia where many people got infected at a funeral. People are blaming the deceased man, even though he did not have it. I just read a story of a woman who has Covid-19 and she was being treated like a leper (at least that is how she described how she was treated by a hospital doctor who was blaming and shaming her). If someone gets it at work and dies, will families be suing the employer? It is bad enough to deal with the illness, death and effects on daily life. We do not need lawyers getting involved. I wonder what happened with HIV/AIDS. Did people sue others when they got it? If Covid-19 is going to be as widespread as the experts are predicting, with the majority of the population getting it, then it seems lawsuits would be frivolous. I can understand the urge to sue someone who is defying the stay at home order and having public services but I still do not think it is a good idea.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
He was not arrested at the church. The sheriff issued the arrest order after the service and he was allowed to turn himself in. One of the reasons given for that was rumors that the church has a large stash of weapons and a large “security force”. The pastor said that was inaccurate but also said they do have sufficient security to halt a mass shooter. So, he apparently thinks God will protect everyone from a rapidly spreading virus but not from a mass shooter. Interesting.

geekette

Reaction score
I hope we do not see Covid-19 lawsuits. It is really impossible to know who infected who. If it happens at a particular place, it is unfair to blame the place. I just read a story about the small town in Georgia where many people got infected at a funeral. People are blaming the deceased man, even though he did not have it. I just read a story of a woman who has Covid-19 and she was being treated like a leper (at least that is how she described how she was treated by a hospital doctor who was blaming and shaming her). If someone gets it at work and dies, will families be suing the employer? It is bad enough to deal with the illness, death and effects on daily life. We do not need lawyers getting involved. I wonder what happened with HIV/AIDS. Did people sue others when they got it? If Covid-19 is going to be as widespread as the experts are predicting, with the majority of the population getting it, then it seems lawsuits would be frivolous. I can understand the urge to sue someone who is defying the stay at home order and having public services but I still do not think it is a good idea.
I meant, pastor tries to sue, not his parishioners.

He should remain in lockup because we know he'll do it again. I would have to assume that the collection plates get pretty full. It seems to be another profit over people case. This man is not innocent.

If any of his flock tries to sue him, I agree, good luck with that, as they also ignored order.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Some lawyer should set up a table at the church offering to help peep write wills.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because they drank the communion koolaid. ;)

Tell you what, let's back off making fun of what many consider a sacred Christian rite and sacrament.

I don't agree with what these people did either, but I'm not going to start wisecracking about their beliefs no more than if their religion was Islam, Judaism, Hinduism or
Buddhism.

Perhaps we can refocus.

Brett

Reaction score

I too hope there aren't many coronvirus lawsuits. However that could help the unemployed lawyers