• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Start and end of trip

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in Maui.
What activity is best to start with and what activity is to end on the trip?

I am loving it so far on my first day and eager to do something....but what should I do?

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am loving it so far on my first day and eager to do something....but what should I do?

You should log off and enjoy Mau'i some more. :)

We like to begin trips with a more open-ended activity such as a scenic drive or a beach. (Haven't been to Mau'i yet, so don't have any suggestions.)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We start with something you need to get up early for like a boat trip or the Road to Hana.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
When we have a late flight back to the mainland, we load up our luggage and head to Haleakala for the day. Then we eat at Manana Garage and then head to the airport for the ride from hades home. :)

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I can get away from this resort....

I think I might goto Walmart and Costco in little while.

And do more grocery shopping. maybe it's better to eat out.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't think I can get away from this resort....

I think I might goto Walmart and Costco in little while.

And do more grocery shopping. maybe it's better to eat out.

You know it's clear back by the airport, right? We shop at Safeway in Lahaina - in the Cannery Mall right on the highway before Lahaina. Get a discount card at the counter for real savings. With the cost of gas and the time involved I sure wouldn't drive clear back to Kahului!

The Long's in the same shopping center is a good place to get nonfood items and souvenirs.

BTW - there is a cute Mexican restaurant - Compadres, in the Cannery Mall that has Taco Tuesdays 4-8 p.m. that you might want to check out tomorrow. Tacos are just $1!

Last edited:

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, the prices at Safeway are almost double the price back at home even with discount card.
I think we were going to get some onions and they were $10 for 4 onions.
I am thinking maybe farming in Hawaii might be good business.
We will try that Mexican food place and Long today.
I think Costco is higher price also compared to prices back home.
Snorkeling wasn't too bad during the afternoon at Kaanapali area.
I saw turtle and sting ray (huge one) and eel?
Very impressed that I was able to see them so close to the resort. I will be trying other places soon.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, the prices at Safeway are almost double the price back at home even with discount card.
I think we were going to get some onions and they were $10 for 4 onions.
I am thinking maybe farming in Hawaii might be good business.

Yep! Although, we don't find that much difference between CA and Hawaii. I think your area has lower food prices than some of the country? For the best/cheapest produce, go to a farmer's market or fruit stand.

We will try that Mexican food place and Long today.
I think Costco is higher price also compared to prices back home.

I hate to tell you this, but EVERYTHING will have higher prices than back home! :D

Snorkeling wasn't too bad during the afternoon at Kaanapali area.
I saw turtle and sting ray (huge one) and eel?
Very impressed that I was able to see them so close to the resort. I will be trying other places soon.

I bet youi a Mai Tai that you won't find better snorkeling on Maui!

Have the folks tried snorkeling on this trip yet?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a deli near the Westin (in a strip mall between the Westin & the Kaanapali Beach hotels) that has good food and is very reasonable. Check out CJ's Deli:

http://www.cjsmaui.com/

They have breakfast, lunch & dinner.

GrampyBill

TUG Member
Reaction score
One small spectacular trip.

Drive to Haleakala around noon. No traffic. Then mess around upcountry at a few of the little towns and return to your resort area for dinner.

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet youi a Mai Tai that you won't find better snorkeling on Maui!

Have the folks tried snorkeling on this trip yet?

My wife loved it.
I saw turtle and sting ray with my mom. She was holding my hand tight and she kept on pressuring my hand when we went little deeper. She enjoyed it. My father is another story. I am kind of persuading my father right now. Maybe we will make it, maybe not. I bought him fishing gears and he will try shore fishing.

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can we go from WKORV to Westin Maui without taking 30? I looked at map and I don't think it's connected.

Can we park at Sheraton and go snorkeling without paying for parking? How about Westin hotel pool?
I don't think we can use Sheraton's pool? How about Westin Maui's pool?

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can we go from WKORV to Westin Maui without taking 30? I looked at map and I don't think it's connected.

Can we park at Sheraton and go snorkeling without paying for parking? How about Westin hotel pool?

You can walk from WKORV to the Sheraton, but you have to cut through the golf course. If you drive, you have to use the main highway.

There is some free beach parking at the Sheraton but you have to get there early in the AM to find a spot. I think there are also some spots down by the Marriott. These are free beach parking spots for anyone, not just Sheraton/Westin guests.

Guests at WKORV are not allowed to use the pools at the Westin or the Sheraton.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

No - but you can take the free shuttle that leaves every 30 min. or just walk down the beach to Black Rock and the Sheraton.

You can't use any of the hotel pools. I think the Sheraton charges for parking - take the free shuttle.

The sugar train has a lovely view of the highway and back yards - don't do it!

Did you plan any activities before you left home? - This thread has a lot of good ideas - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81944

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Take the shuttle to Black Rock, and be sure to bring a towel to sit on for the ride back. I wouldn't advise walking there if you plan to snorkel for any length of time. My husband and daughter walked there this past summer and snorkeled for a few hours. They simply didn't have the energy to walk back to WKORV afterward, and my husband is a fairly serious athlete. (Plus his swimsuit was chafing him. :)) They ended up taking the shuttle back but the driver made them stand because they didn't bring a towel.

FYI, buy one of those huge mesh laundry bags at Walgreens/CVS to tote your snorkeling gear around in.

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Drive to Haleakala around noon. No traffic. Then mess around upcountry at a few of the little towns and return to your resort area for dinner.

If you go to this area, don't miss the Tedechi Winery! Also breakfast at the Kula Lodge. Beautiful view and good food!
Have fun!
Aloha

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
No - but you can take the free shuttle that leaves every 30 min. or just walk down the beach to Black Rock and the Sheraton.

You can't use any of the hotel pools. I think the Sheraton charges for parking - take the free shuttle.

The sugar train has a lovely view of the highway and back yards - don't do it!

Did you plan any activities before you left home? - This thread has a lot of good ideas - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81944

I thought about taking shuttle but we have baby and they said no strollers on the shuttle. I guess I will pass on the train ride.
As for planning.... :bawl: I lost all my paper work. I have some on my email and I got the Maui revealed book so I am just planning as I go along.
I will look at the url. thanks!

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you drive the circle on west maui and can you do circle around Hana?

I have heard both yes and no.
anyone done it recently? do they change daily of closing the road?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
As of July I was able to circle West Maui. The road is very narrow in places but it can be done and I enjoyed it. Status doesn't change unless something really major happens. Some people might not like having to sometimes back up and/or get very close to the edge of the road if a car is coming from the opposite direction. The drive is not for everyone.

My understanding is that the road past Hana is still closed and you have to run back the way you came to get to the rest of Maui. That drive is more leisurely (but very long) if the road ever opens.