• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Star options to Abound to get March 2024 Hawaii

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 81k in star options. I'm trying to get at least 10 nights in Maui in the later part of March in 2024. Since this time is high season for Maui (WKORN), would it make sense to convert this to Abound points in March and borrow from the next year to have a chance for March 2024? (assuming I can book 12 months ahead with Abound) Or, should I have a chance using star options using the 8 month window?

On another note - in case I am deficient in abound points, is it easy to rent points from someone?

TIA

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
Using Star-Options, you could book 9-Days in a Studio if you check-in on a Sunday at WKOR/N.
If you convert to Abound, I doubt you would get the same value [partly due to the skim].

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Using Star-Options, you could book 9-Days in a Studio if you check-in on a Sunday at WKOR/N.
If you convert to Abound, I doubt you would get the same value [partly due to the skim].
yeah, that is why I want to borrow from the next year (total ~ 162,000 star options) and see if I can possibly purchase abound points from someone.

I am looking for 1br premium villa. I'm worried that there will be no inventory even 12 months out using Abound.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 81k in star options. I'm trying to get at least 10 nights in Maui in the later part of March in 2024. Since this time is high season for Maui (WKORN), would it make sense to convert this to Abound points in March and borrow from the next year to have a chance for March 2024? (assuming I can book 12 months ahead with Abound) Or, should I have a chance using star options using the 8 month window?

On another note - in case I am deficient in abound points, is it easy to rent points from someone?

TIA
What is your Vistana home resort? How many Abound points would you get if you converted?

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is your Vistana home resort? How many Abound points would you get if you converted?
SVV Bella - 81k (162k for 2 years)

Conversion to Abound: 2825 (1 year)

Also, I haven't been clear. I do know the conversion and I've seen the abound points needed. I guess my question is if I have a chance around the 3rd week in March for Maui (WKORN). This would allow me to figure out if it is worth it take advantage of the abound conversion to get a leg up in the reservations.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
SVV Bella - 81k (162k for 2 years)

Conversion to Abound: 2825 (1 year)

Also, I haven't been clear. I do know the conversion and I've seen the abound points needed. I guess my question is if I have a chance around the 3rd week in March for Maui (WKORN). This would allow me to figure out if it is worth it take advantage of the abound conversion to get a leg up in the reservations.
81k SO are enough to book 1BR in Maui for 7 nights. The same 7 nights would cost 4475 Abound points for March but you are only getting 2825 points. That is a 37% haircut! Pre-Abound, it was not very difficult to book Hawaii at 8 months. I do not know how it will be in the future.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Pre-Abound, it was not very difficult to book Hawaii at 8 months.

Generally, I think that's correct especially if one is not looking for a 2BR unit.

But is this also true for March weeks specifically? That would be prime season there both for those who go and those who rent.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
The general guidance [even from Marriott] is as follows.
"If you are going to exchange Vistana -> Vistana its best to exchange within VSN and to NOT choose Abound".

I do understand your 12-Month [Abound] V 8-Month [VSN] scenario, however, it's difficult to predict.

EXAMPLE
Using my VSN account, I can see Nanea for JAN-2024 [12-Months out] .
However, using my Abound account I cannot see Nanea for JAN-2024.

1675107467392.png

However, using Abound I can see Marriott Maui Ocean Club.
1675107685605.png

Last edited:

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Abound inventory for Westin Maui is not good, however there usually is some at 8 months via star options. I have been using my SVV Orlando for a 1 bedroom for WKORV North for many years booking Jan/Feb/March at 8 month window.

That may change with the new program just do not know what will happen over the next several years but inventory for the Westins on maui via abound points is very limited versus Maui Marriott via Abound points (usually a few nights available at 12/13 months), or Star options at 8 months.

LMills

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Vista, Marriott Monarch at SeaPines, Marriott OceanWatch, Vistana Bella at Vistana Resorts, Westin Kierland, Prestige Travelers, Marriott Abound Points
My apologies if this is answered in another forum. Is there a chart in TUGBBS that shows the conversion of StarOptions for each home resort to Abound points? Not to stay, but what an owner would get if they turned in their week for Abound points.

For example, this original poster said they get 2825 Abound points for turning in their 81,000 Vistana Bella StarOptions. I get 4050 Abound points for turning my Westin Kierland 148,100 StarOptions. I would love to see what is done at each resort for the deeded StarOptions.
Thanks for any information that can be shared.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We just booked Feb in Maui using SO's and there were studio and 1 bedroom options. It seems 8 mos out for now is still working. Actually this was less than 5 mos out. 2 bedrooms will be more challenging. We just tried it as a fluke to take advantage of Southwests great sale and truly did not expect to get Maui. It may be a fluke due to cancelations in Maui still. Time will tell

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My apologies if this is answered in another forum. Is there a chart in TUGBBS that shows the conversion of StarOptions for each home resort to Abound points? Not to stay, but what an owner would get if they turned in their week for Abound points.

For example, this original poster said they get 2825 Abound points for turning in their 81,000 Vistana Bella StarOptions. I get 4050 Abound points for turning my Westin Kierland 148,100 StarOptions. I would love to see what is done at each resort for the deeded StarOptions.
Thanks for any information that can be shared.
@dioxide45 put this together. It is based on what owners have reported. https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/vistana-to-abound-point-conversion-tracker.341717/

It is not so much "deeded SOs", but rather what each resort, unit size and season converts to.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Someone else mentioned this, but I think it's worth emphasizing that the Abound trust owns very little Westin inventory in Maui. So if you're trying to get into any of the Westin (Vistana) resorts on Maui, you're really depending on owners of that inventory electing to trade it for Abound points. There's just not much "native" Abound inventory on Maui, and I think that also applies to the Marriott-branded resorts (Maui Ocean Club.)

I think you'll do better with StarOptions (you know you can also borrow those from the subsequent year, right?). Not only will there be a better chance of availability, but I think you'll get more nights for what you own.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
For March 2024 I did a search for 7 nights, and there is a lot of inventory at Westins and Marriott via abound points. Likely as a result of the tragedy of the fire.

In years past I have had great success at the 8 month window booking Westin Maui resorts using staroptions.