• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Special Assessment Fee @ Pollard Brook

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
In the 2007 report filed at the state, officers of Pollard Brook Units Owners association are Ducharme (Pres), Curran(VP) and Macgregor(TREAS). No mention of the other "owner reps" on the Board. Scanzani was named on the special assessment letter as President??? Since they last filed with the state, lots of strange things going on. New Board members, new titles ??? I wonder if the "New Board" isn't just an attempt to make the special assessment look legitmate. The special assessment letter with Ducharme shown as President would smell worse than last weeks garbage. So, dress it up with a non-Inn Seasons President. This really smells!!

It is simple.

The developer has crafted this Board of Advisors to give the appearance of a governing body that has owner involvement. They have no legal authority under the by-laws. It is an illusion.

The by-laws call for a three person Board of Directors that will govern the Unit Owners Association.

That Unit Owners Association is formed as a non-profit corporation under NH law. It is governed by the Board of Directors listed on the 2005 annual report. Each of you are members of that corporation based on your unit ownership.

The Unit Owners Association is the only body that has any legal authority. The other is a ruse.

AJS

Reaction score
Finley,

I think we need to take Joel's statements with a grain of salt..

The Board is comprised with three members of "InnSeasons" and two owner representatives. And this is really a concern. We as owners do not have fair representation and no line of communication as I stated earlier. I've yet to receive the minutes I requested. By the way, our Bylaws state, we are to receive copies each year from the annual meeting sent with the maintenance fee billing.
There were no minutes as there weren’t any annual meetings as we were in the aforementioned development/sales stages.
I received the meeting minutes from Dennis Ducharme for 10/7/2008 and 3/11/2009 and Joel was in attendance at both meetings.

Who was in attendance at these meetings? Does either set of minutes address the special assessment that we all first saw on July 10??

AJS

Reaction score
It is simple.

The developer has crafted this Board of Advisors to give the appearance of a governing body that has owner involvement. They have no legal authority under the by-laws. It is an illusion.

The by-laws call for a three person Board of Directors that will govern the Unit Owners Association.

That Unit Owners Association is formed as a non-profit corporation under NH law. It is governed by the Board of Directors listed on the 2005 annual report. Each of you are members of that corporation based on your unit ownership.

The Unit Owners Association is the only body that has any legal authority. The other is a ruse.

Eric - are you suggesting that the Unit Owners Association formed under the bylaws (having three members) is different than the Board of Advisorsdetailed in the special assessment letter?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Eric - are you suggesting that the Unit Owners Association formed under the bylaws (having three members) is different than the Board of Advisorsdetailed in the special assessment letter?

Yes. The Board of Directors that is authorized by your by-laws is only legal governing body at the resort.

The Board of Advisors has NO authority under NH law or the by-laws. They have no legal basis for their existence. It would be like you sending out a letter as the Board of Owners or President of the PB Owners Committee.

The Declaration is the legal document that authorizes the creation of the PB Unit Owners Association. That UOA then is legally incorporated under NH state law, and is governed by the by-laws. In turn the By-Laws authorize the UOA to be governed by the Board of Directors.

But the developer has decided to stick the Board of Advisors out there as puppets - IMO. There is nothing in the by-laws to authorize them, nor are they granted any powers under the by-laws. Any authority they have is illusionary.

Ask Dennis for the by-laws of the Board of Advisors.

Edit: Just to be clear, everyone who owns a unit is a member of the Unit Owners Association.

Last edited:

AJS

Reaction score
Thanks for the email. I will do my best to answer your questions here.

QUESTION: The assessment letter says: "...Nearly $1,000,000 has been spend over the past 5 years". That would be a minimum of $200,000 a year. The By Laws of Pollard Brook - Part II Board of Directors item (vii) states "May purchase such equipment and other personal property as is necessary to properly accomplish the purposes of the Association, except that board should have no power to expend in excess of $4,000 in any one (1) year for the acquisition of personal property or for capital improvements w/o majority vote of members present and voting at a duly held meeting of the members association." Can I have a copy of the minutes from the meeting where expenditure of amounts in excess of 199,999 was approved?

ANSWER: The section in the same documents that authorize the management company to do this is as follows:

Title II, By-Laws of the Pollard Brook Unit Owners' Association, Part VI Accounting, Section 5 Special Assessments, states:

a. Each owner is liable for those expenses directly related to his period of occupancy of a condominium unit assigned to him, which shall be billed to him as special assessments.

b. Expenses billable as special assessments include, but are not limited to, the costs of repairing damage done to the condominium unit, equipment, and furnishings during the use period, other than ordinary wear and tear: telephone charges over and above the basic charges; and such other services rendered during the use period at the request of the owner or guest not included as an item in the budget.

Title III, Timeshare Management, Part III Management, Section 5 Special Assessments, states:

Each owner is liable for those expenses directly related to his period of occupancy of a condominium unit assigned to him. These expenses include, but are not limited to, the expense of repairing damage done to the condominium unit, equipment, and furnishings during the use period assigned to him, other than ordinary wear and tear: telephone charges over and above the basic charges; and such other services rendered during the use period at the request of the owner or a guest not included as an item in the budget.

As part of our due diligence in implementing this assessment, the management company's legal counsel, as well as the NH Attorney General's Office reviewed this action prior to its implementation.

QUESTION: 2. The By Laws of Pollard Brook - Part IV Meetings Section 1 states

"(c) The president, with in (30) days of said meeting shall cause a copy of the minutes there of, including the budget adopted thereof to be mailed to each member".

I received the special assessment in mail, but have never received a copy in the mail of the operating budget.

Questions: Can we receive (in mail) the annual meeting minutes and operating budgets for each year going forward?

ANSWER: Yes, you can (and will) receive this information going forward. I have attached the latest Board of Advisor minutes for your review.

CONCLUSION: Although your questions are excellent, it is important for you to know that until recently, the Board consisted of only the developer, and its appointees. The developer owned the majority of the intervals, and consequently the majority of the votes for any action. During development stage, and during the first 80% of the sales, a Board is not required. As soon as over 80% of the inventory was sold, it was then that a Homeowners' Association (HOA) was required. Currently, there is an interim Board of Advisors, which is the first step in constituting a full-fledged HOA, with its attendant Board of Directors, made up of owners elected by other owners. Having said that, in the future, the developer will continue to be an active member of the Board, because the developer continues to own approximately 1100 intervals at the property, with the same number of votes in any Board election.

Thank you.

Dennis M. Ducharme, RRP

Board of Directors

Ducharme's answers don't make sense to me.
How does his answer to Q1 make sense to anybody?? Unless i'm reading it incorrectly, it addresses an assessment to an individual owner using his/her week(s) who damaged the unit, ran up telephone charges, or requested special services. How do we get from this to the special assessments we now have??? I simply don't believe the AG reviewed anything. Print your email from Ducharme and send it to the AG asking confirmation that they reviewed the special assessment prior to it being sent to owners.

His CONCLUSION is again the 80% position. This has no basis per the Condo Declarations filed with Grafton County and which we recieved when we bought. It says a maximun of 5 years or 75% sold. The Declaration was filed and recorded in 1989!!

AJS

Reaction score
Yes. The Board of Directors that is authorized by your by-laws is only legal governing body at the resort.

The Board of Advisors has NO authority under NH law or the by-laws. They have no legal basis for their existence. It would be like you sending out a letter as the Board of Owners or President of the PB Owners Committee.

The Declaration is the legal document that authorizes the creation of the PB Unit Owners Association. That UOA then is legally incorporated under NH state law, and is governed by the by-laws. In turn the By-Laws authorize the UOA to be governed by the Board of Directors.

But the developer has decided to stick the Board of Advisors out there as puppets - IMO. There is nothing in the by-laws to authorize them, nor are they granted any powers under the by-laws. Any authority they have is illusionary.

Ask Dennis for the by-laws of the Board of Advisors.

Edit: Just to be clear, everyone who owns a unit is a member of the Unit Owners Association.

Eric - so the non profit corporation that is called Pollard Brook Unit Owners Associationthat filed with the state of NH on 3/12/07 with Ducharme as Pres, MacGregor as Treas, and Curran as Secy is the legit Board odf Directors required by the Condo Declaration and bylaws?? and this Board of Advisors putting out the special assessment showing Stanzani as President is a Ducharme creation with no legal standing??

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Eric - so the non profit corporation that is called Pollard Brook Unit Owners Associationthat filed with the state of NH on 3/12/07 with Ducharme as Pres, MacGregor as Treas, and Curran as Secy is the legit Board odf Directors required by the Condo Declaration and bylaws?? and this Board of Advisors putting out the special assessment showing Stanzani as President is a Ducharme creation with no legal standing??

Yes. But I do not know who created it. But under the by-laws it does not exist.

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ducharme's answers don't make sense to me.
How does his answer to Q1 make sense to anybody?? Unless i'm reading it incorrectly, it addresses an assessment to an individual owner using his/her week(s) who damaged the unit, ran up telephone charges, or requested special services. How do we get from this to the special assessments we now have??? I simply don't believe the AG reviewed anything. Print your email from Ducharme and send it to the AG asking confirmation that they reviewed the special assessment prior to it being sent to owners.

His CONCLUSION is again the 80% position. This has no basis per the Condo Declarations filed with Grafton County and which we recieved when we bought. It says a maximun of 5 years or 75% sold. The Declaration was filed and recorded in 1989!!

Also, note his statement that the BOA: "know that until recently, the Board consisted of only the developer, and its appointees"

Why - I think it because they needed some stooges to make this all look kosher.

I like the idea of sending the e-mail to the AG. I would put a cover letter on it highlighting the applicable text though.

Something like:

NH Attorney General's Office,

I am writing to you in regard to an e-mail communication I recently received from Mr. Dennis Ducharme regarding a special assessment levied on members of the Pollard Brook Unit Owners Association. Mr. Ducharme is a member of the Board of Directors, Pollard Brook Unit Owners Association. In the text of Mr. Ducharme reply to my inquiry, Mr. Ducharme indicates that the NH State Attorney General's office reviewed the special assessment before it was levied.

I would like to verify this information to be true. A copy of the entire e-mail communication is attached.

The Pollard Brook Unit Owners Association is a non-profit corporation incorporated in New Hampshire with offices at XXXXX. As a Condominium association, the Pollard Brook Unit Owners Associated is regulated under the provisions of RSA 356-B.

I would appreciate your prompt reply in this matter.

Sincerely

Last edited:

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or Joel is misinformed.

Hanlon's razor: Do not invoke conspiracy as explanation when ignorance and incompetence will suffice, as conspiracy implies intelligence.

nor am I suggesting that Joel is stupid.

There is nothing in my original statement to suggest conspiracy. Nothing at all.

We are being mislead or lied to in order to protect the developer's interests. This statement is supported by the posts preceding and following it.

Here's an example, from a post of yours, Eric:

There is one thing that is troubling me. The documents we have seen so clearly refute the statements the Developer is making.

I can understand how someone could lie about it, but who would be so stupid as to lie when the documents are so readily available.

So I checked NH law again and the Declaration again. I cannot find anything that supports what they are saying.
-----------------------------------------------

So, Eric, the bottom line is, if you are going to work with me, don't misrepresent what I say again. Understood?

FWIW, I'm making progress getting help from TST. To get this done, we need to pull together, not separately.

Once TST is fully on-board, we will get some very good advice on how to proceed. That is the advice we'll need to follow. Or, I'll go my own way with TST while the rest of you vent on this thread without accomplishing anything.

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No offense intended.

Thanks

Last edited:

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
TimeSharing Today

OK, here is what TST sent in their Important News & Information email just received. This is listed under "Resort Issues." So, get the word out to owners you know. Send all the information you have to TST. They are great at handling issues like this. FWIW, at my request, another poster here provided some of the sentences in the statement attributed to me. That poster is free to take credit for them.

Pollard Brook-Lincoln, NH
"While there are many issues, the following appear to be key to me. All communications we have received since 1998 indicated that Pollard Brook was well managed and fiscally sound. Now, in 2009, we get hit with an assessment. Many of the uses for the assessment, called "capital projects," are simply maintenance fee "on-going upgrade" items, not legitimate assessment charges. Clearly, Polard Brook has not been well-run. No financials supporting the assessment were provided and all references to special assessments in the Bylaws and the NH State Condominium Act are in reference to expenses that have been incurred, not a wish list of projects desired to be done.

Based on information gathered after the fact, the owner and developer (who are one and the same) has not done his fiduciary duty in ensuring adequate funds were maintained in the capital reserves to keep Pollard Brook at a five star level and we as owners were not aware of the financials of the resort as the annual reports have indicated a different picture.
To add insult to injury, some owners, but not all, are now being asked to foot the bill. It appears to be illegal to charge some, but not all owners, the maintenance fee. It is my belief that all registered owners at the time of the assessment, weeks as well as points, long-time owners and recent purchasers, should pay the assessment. I've raised this issue with the General Manager of Pollard Brook and he has referred it to the Developer's hand-picked, controlled Board and the Developer's Lawyer.

The developer owns many unsold units at the resort but apparently isn't going to pay the maintenance fee. He expects to issue an IOU and pay later. This hardly seems fair. Finally, it appears the Developer has remained in control of Pollard Brook far longer than the law allows. There is a "Board," but it is composed of three members of management and two "owner representatives" who are hand-picked by management, not elected by the owners of units. There is no Home Owner's Association (HOA) elected by the owners of units and weeks at Pollard Brook from a ballot of self-nominated, fellow owners."
Bruce Wolf (A recent subscriber to TimeSharing Today)

There has also been a considerable amount of owner commentary on TUG about Pollard Brook. We would like to hear from other owners about what they are experiencing. TimeSharing Today will then contact the developer for a reply and details. We will publish an article in the printed edition. If you have additional comments, email staff@tstoday.com Subject: Pollard Brook

AJS

Reaction score
Also, note his statement that the BOA: "know that until recently, the Board consisted of only the developer, and its appointees"

Why - I think it because they needed some stooges to make this all look kosher.

I like the idea of sending the e-mail to the AG. I would put a cover letter on it highlighting the applicable text though.

Something like:

NH Attorney General's Office,

I am writing to you in regard to an e-mail communication I recently received from Mr. Dennis Ducharme regarding a special assessment levied on members of the Pollard Brook Unit Owners Association. Mr. Ducharme is a member of the Board of Directors, Pollard Brook Unit Owners Association. In the text of Mr. Ducharme reply to my inquiry, Mr. Ducharme indicates that the NH State Attorney General's office reviewed the special assessment before it was levied.

I would like to verify this information to be true. A copy of the entire e-mail communication is attached.

The Pollard Brook Unit Owners Association is a non-profit corporation incorporated in New Hampshire with offices at XXXXX. As a Condominium association, the Pollard Brook Unit Owners Associated is regulated under the provisions of RSA 356-B.

I would appreciate your prompt reply in this matter.

Sincerely

Dreamweaver -- Really like Eric's suggested letter to the AG. Hope you will send it ASAP

AJS

Reaction score
Finley,

I think we need to take Joel's statements with a grain of salt..

The Board is comprised with three members of "InnSeasons" and two owner representatives. And this is really a concern. We as owners do not have fair representation and no line of communication as I stated earlier. I've yet to receive the minutes I requested. By the way, our Bylaws state, we are to receive copies each year from the annual meeting sent with the maintenance fee billing.
There were no minutes as there weren’t any annual meetings as we were in the aforementioned development/sales stages.
I received the meeting minutes from Dennis Ducharme for 10/7/2008 and 3/11/2009 and Joel was in attendance at both meetings.

DreamWeaver - Would really like to know the names of the people attending the 10/7/08 and 3/11/09 meetings. Anyway you could also share the minutes? I really wondering what this "Board of Advisors" is, when it was formed, and if it has any legal basis to send out a special assessment letter . Seems that it doesn't! The Condo Declarations and the bylaws state that the Unit Owners Assoc Board of Directors ( not a Board of Advisors) is a three member Board. The last filing with the Secretary of State on 3/12/07 has Ducharme, MacGregor, and Curran as the Directors. So how and when did this five member "Board of Advisors" get formed and does it have any legal basis?

Finley

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pollard Brook
Yes, I would also like copies of the minutes. I will continue to work with Joel and you can continue to work with Dennis. I will keep a record of these contradications to further the cause. Joel did say there was going to be elections held at the November meeting. I'll be quite interested to see how / if we as owners get notified. I didn't ask him, but with still 1100 units unsold and their magic 80% rule, why are they suddenly moving in this direction?

Finley

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pollard Brook
For those who are still interested in this issue and others identified with Pollard Brook, we have established a HOA User group for Pollard Brook on http://www.timeshareforums.com/

I would encourage you to sign up on the site, it's free.
Then once you have received the return e-mail and accepted you can request to join the group. (Similar process as with TUGGBBS)

http://www.timeshareforums.com
Click 2nd tab, "User CP" toward the upper left corner
Click Group Memberships under NETWORKING
Join Pollard Brook Homeowners Group

The moderator has to accept you into the group.
Once that is done, you would
Log on, go to Forum Navigation drop down, then HOA Forums, Pollard Brook.

All future discussion, action etc. will occur there. I hope you will join us as we have discovered quite a bit about the operation of Pollard Brook and the special assessment as well as the HOA (or lack thereof). We as owners need to be involved to protect our interests.

Just think, that maintenance fee bill will be coming out next month too!

Thanks to TUGGBBS to helping me get the initial messages out there....

Finley

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pollard Brook
Pollard Brook Update

Hi Folks - For those still interested and not on the TST site, PB has now posted the meeting of the BOD on their website. They have also updated their FAQs based on comments from this string of messages. It's always good to confirm what one suspects.

Elections will be taking place at the "annual meeting" that appears has never been held before. Information should be forthcoming from our esteemed leaders at PB regarding time, place etc. It would be advantageous for all to educate themselves of the FACTS prior to and attend as time would allow.
Best to All ~

kgusta

Reaction score
Pollard Brood Assessment Fee

Has anyone heard anything from the Attorney Generals office regarding this situation? Please advise. Thanks

wphillips

Reaction score
Has there been any progress on this issue?

I have not paid my fee and now have a combined bill for the Special Assessment and my regular Maintenance Fee.

Allen Davis

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
An interesting part of Pollard Brook is the division within the resort. I had owned a unit in the "float" section which was not part of the InnSeason community. The unit I had I gave to my son 2 years ago who is now trying to give it away. The transfer fee went from $75.00 to $400.00 and so far no explanation. He just paid off the "special" assessment fee.
I noted yesterday that all the liens against Southern Peaks were paid off by Oct 5, 2009. Coincidence??? Is it legal to charge presnt owners special fees to pay off the developers bad debts??

Jack__

Reaction score
Pollard Brook Ducharme

I had never noticed it before reexamining all my doccuments.

My annual deeded unit was purchased in Nov 1995. I paid cash to pollard brook and got all my paperwork or so I thought.

Ducharm was president...

Today searching in Grafton county records for my deed's recording I could not find it in 1995-1996. Expanding the search I located it in Sept 1998. Three years after my purchase.

Checking for my copy, I found it was infact recorded three years after the fact.

My thoughts immediately settled that the only reason that would be so is because the president and developer used this three year period to get a float from the bank by showing it unsold. I can think of no other reason why thy waited three years.... three years to record it when they had full payment. The only other senario I can think of is to hide it from the IRS. Either way or even for something that hasnot crossed my mind, it can only be illegal.

Makes me wonder more what is going on now!

jccmm27

Reaction score
Special Assessment

Well, I finally gave up. After getting no where with Pollard Brook we have finally decided to sell our $14000 (as they said it was worth) for what we owe on our 2010 maint fee of $626.00 and the special assessment so we have lost everything. Thank you Pollard Brook.I hope all of your board members are taken care of comfortably.
Joanne Davis

Finley

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pollard Brook
So sorry for the late posters

Hi All - Wish I could say or do more. I surely tried...if there is new interest, several of us are still watching and waiting for an opportunity to prove all we know and pursue options. As nothing will change, I can assure you of that. At the very least, be sure to vote and/or attend the annual meetings if you are unhappy with what is going on. We can't change the past, but we can protect our investment and ensure our property and monies are protected. If you have been able to sell your units - good for you. Most folks can't give the darn things away!

mac-18

Reaction score
Special assessment fees

Hello, all
1st of all, I would like to apologize to all of you owners that I'm late to the table for this challenge. I like so many others have had severe financial hardships spanning 3+ years now. My circumstance has left me scrambling to pay my bills at times & totally neglecting others. One of my neglected bills was my July 2009 PB bill. (I know I'm Way Late, sorry to all). My M/F's & Special assessment totaled $932.46. When my wife & myself purchased this unit, we were under the impression that we would only have to pay the little mortgage we took out & yearly M/F's. Not to mention we are an outdoors family, so being in the mountains for a vacation was an excellent deal, we thought. After the 1st time we used our Deeded Float Week (week 20 but can be floated, depending on availability, or so we were led to believe never tried) we knew things weren't the way they were advertised to us. We had a good family time, but haven't used it again in the 7+ years. In the meantime the M/F's have gone up ( ill be it mostly reasonable increases), Now the Special assessment fee of $419.42. Like I said I'm late to the party but now I want to be involved to resolve this "FEE" to our resort. I have contacted the Massachusetts A.G.'s consumer complaint & mediation hot-line, was given some decent directions to head towards. If your own personnel research has come to any fruition please pass it along. I plan on doing some research on my own as time permits, now that I realize what a problem this has become and what a shady scheme to raise finances. I look forward to hearing from you all. Thank you for allowing me to come into this situation late & allowing my participation. Have a good day.

Finley

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pollard Brook
We tried the NH AG's office. Without showing actual harm done, we have no grounds. Others tried the MA AG as well and didn't really get anywhere either. Of note, the next board meeting is in Concord:
3/24/10 Wednesday 10 AM – 12 PM: Pollard Board Meeting

At the offices of Gallagher, Callahan and Gartrell
214 North Main Street
Concord, NH 03302

Any and all owners are welcome to attend these meetings per our Bylaws.

I also noted that you can now donate your timeshare on Billy's other endeavor: www.sellmytimesharenow.com

Might be an option for some...Good Luck!