• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So How's That Coronavirus Staycation Going?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our staycation has turned into a routine. Our car has not left the garage in more than a week. On the other hand, our golf cart is driven almost everyday to and on the golf course. I am doing alot of meal planning around of what we have in the home and finally started working through my freezer and some of the stuff have been sitting there for more than 2 years. We will try to stretch our vegetables out for 3 weeks before hitting Whole Foods during senior hours. We have no issues with meat as we have enough to last for at least 3 months.

The news of grocery workers catching COVID-19 is a scary. Senior hours help protect shoppers from other shoppers but when the workers themselves are sick, I can see how the shoppers can be at risk too.

Last edited:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
We cancelled our vacation in Mexico, but somehow one of our credit cards didn't get the message. We were surprised to find purchases charged on our card in the Cabo San Lucas Costco this month. Cheeky!

How rude of your credit card to go on vacation without you!

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How rude of your credit card to go on vacation without you!
:D That's what I thought!!!

I just wonder if it was someone who knew we'd be down there, and thought they could sneak it through without us noticing it? I don't want to think it's someone we've done business with in the past. :(

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Tuesday and Thursday is over 60 morning at Costco. They opened at 8 am. My wife talked me into going this morning because she needed an extra cart for other people. When we arrived at 7 am it was about 26 degrees out and the line was at least 100 yards long, so not too bad considering the carts between people. As soon as the sun came up the temperature dropped to 23 degrees. It was cold. Too cold for over 60's people, imo.

We finally made it in to the store and we were lined up to get tp and water. The stuff is now rationed. After getting the tp and paper towels we ended up filling both carts to the sum of about $600. The only thing for us was a water-mellon. Where all the rest of the stuff goes I don't know.

There was an armed guard walking down the line. The line went all the way around the store. I was told this is usual these days. They ran out of paper towels and tp before we left so some people in line were too late. No Lysol or other disinfectants were available. The employees kept people orderly and they reminded all of the social distancing.

Anyway, what a start to a Thursday.

Bill

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tuesday and Thursday is over 60 morning at Costco. They opened at 8 am. My wife talked me into going this morning because she needed an extra cart for other people. When we arrived at 7 am it was about 26 degrees out and the line was at least 100 yards long, so not too bad considering the carts between people.
This is what I have feared that even with senior hours, the line is going to be long getting into Costco.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This is what I have feared that even with senior hours, the line is going to be long getting into Costco.
Our closest Costco is an hour away. We have a running Costco list at home. Dh asked me when I thought we should go. I said I didn't know. I don't want to get there and find we have to wait for several hours to get into the store.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Our closest Costco is an hour away. We have a running Costco list at home. Dh asked me when I thought we should go. I said I didn't know. I don't want to get there and find we have to wait for several hours to get into the store.
You can try to call them and see what day and time is less busy. I did for our local grocery . I was told as soon as they open is best and not on Thursday’s as there is a 5% senior discount that day and it is busy. They should just either remove the discount or offer it at all times to reduce the density on Thursday’s.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You can try to call them and see what day and time is less busy. I did for our local grocery . I was told as soon as they open is best and not on Thursday’s as there is a 5% senior discount that day and it is busy. They should just either remove the discount or offer it at all times to reduce the density on Thursday’s.
Wouldn't it be great if grocery stores, and especially Costco, could institute something like the airports do to show the wait time for TSA?

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I‘ve discovered that our stayvacation is a poor substitute for our cancelled trips to Hawaii & Sedona. The excitement of watching as many movies or tv shows is a poor substitute. It’s been 3 weeks since we left sunny CA & 2 weeks since my last exposure on WA State Ferries.

Brett

Reaction score
Tuesday and Thursday is over 60 morning at Costco. They opened at 8 am. My wife talked me into going this morning because she needed an extra cart for other people. When we arrived at 7 am it was about 26 degrees out and the line was at least 100 yards long, so not too bad considering the carts between people. As soon as the sun came up the temperature dropped to 23 degrees. It was cold. Too cold for over 60's people, imo.

We finally made it in to the store and we were lined up to get tp and water. The stuff is now rationed. After getting the tp and paper towels we ended up filling both carts to the sum of about $600. The only thing for us was a water-mellon. Where all the rest of the stuff goes I don't know.

There was an armed guard walking down the line. The line went all the way around the store. I was told this is usual these days. They ran out of paper towels and tp before we left so some people in line were too late. No Lysol or other disinfectants were available. The employees kept people orderly and they reminded all of the social distancing.

Anyway, what a start to a Thursday.

Bill

strange. in southeast Virginia all the grocery stores and Walmart seem to have TP, paper towels and everything else. I saw no armed guards and there was no waiting in line.
But maybe in your location there are no grocery stores or walmart, only Costco.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
strange. in southeast Virginia all the grocery stores and Walmart seem to have TP, paper towels and everything else. I saw no armed guards and there was no waiting in line.
You shouldn't have posted that. Now there will be a run on your area for those items. One of my dd's co-workers has said the way she is getting toilet paper is to get food delivery from places that offer a roll if you order from them.

Brett

Reaction score
You shouldn't have posted that. Now there will be a run on your area for those items. One of my dd's co-workers has said the way she is getting toilet paper is to get food delivery from places that offer a roll if you order from them.

yeah :).... however we get TP from Amazon (delivered last week)
I thought Amazon was everywhere

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
yeah :).... however we get TP from Amazon (delivered last week)
I thought Amazon was everywhere
Interesting you can get it. Most people have said it's not available (the tp, not Amazon) in their area. I know we can't get wipes through Amazon.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Nope, we have everything out here. Even electricity and running water. ;) (j/k)

Costco sees the brunt of things because there's a warehouse about every 25 miles along the freeway, and a number of others in the larger metro areas. People use it as a one-stop location to get a bit of everything on their list. But there are also lots of Wal-Marts, full-on grocery stores, and whatever else, too.

I tried going to my Costco this morning for their Thursday morning early shopping hour, and even though I arrived before opening, the line was around the building. I turned around and went to the local Safeway, where there were only about twenty people in the store. I'll decide whether I really need to go to Costco, and tackle it again another day.

Dave

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
Interesting you can get it. Most people have said it's not available (the tp, not Amazon) in their area. I know we can't get wipes through Amazon.

the TP delivery was delayed a week - maybe Amazon gives preferential treatment :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I miss my grandkids, all five of them. But mostly this little man. They live five miles away, but we cannot risk a visit.

1585252417856.png

Brett

Reaction score
Nope, we have everything out here. Even electricity and running water. ;) (j/k)

Costco sees the brunt of things because there's a warehouse about every 25 miles along the freeway, and a number of others in the larger metro areas. People use it as a one-stop location to get a bit of everything on their list. But there are also lots of Wal-Marts, full-on grocery stores, and whatever else, too.

I tried going to my Costco this morning for their Thursday morning early shopping hour, and even though I arrived before opening, the line was around the building. I turned around and went to the local Safeway, where there were about twenty people in the store. I'll decide whether I really need to go to Costco, and tackle it again another day.

Dave

yes, I would not wait in line outside the store to buy toilet paper or groceries or whatever.
I just find it strange TP is apparently available in places in Virginia but in critical shortage elsewhere.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
yes, I would not wait in line outside the store to buy toilet paper or groceries or whatever.
I just find it strange TP is apparently available in places in Virginia but in critical shortage elsewhere.
Maybe in other places where it's available they're keeping their mouths shut about it.

Brett

Reaction score
Maybe in other places where it's available they're keeping their mouths shut about it.

perhaps, I was in Kroger this morning for other things and didn't even look at the TP shelves, we now have enough for a month or longer

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
yes, I would not wait in line to buy toilet paper or groceries or whatever.

I'm surprised the whole TP thing is still an issue. I'd hope it wasn't. Surely by now people would have the stockpile they want?

Sidebar about Safeway this morning: I was careful to clean and sanitize the cart before using it, made sure to wipe off products with sanitizing wipes before putting them in the cart, I wore gloves, stayed six feet or more away from everyone, and did everything I could to avoid picking up anything. I felt like I did my homework. And then what happened?

I get to the checkout, and wait my distance behind the couple in front of me. They get their cartload of purchases and head out the door. The cashier turns to me and says, "I'm ready." I said, "Ok, are you going to wash your hands or wipe down the conveyer belt or anything?" And she said, "No, I do that once an hour."

I was flabbergasted. Granted, she was younger, so probably feels she's immune to this virus, but this seemed a bit cavalier. I took things out of my cart carefully, and placed them as close to the register as I could, so they could stay off the belt. And she turned on the belt anyway and pushed things back out of her way, so they rode along the belt anyway. My being careful amounted to nothing. I finally gave up, and waited for her to finish putting things in bags. I made much of sanitizing my hands before and after touching the keypad on the card machine, and I put my gloves back on before accepting the receipt from her. She was oblivious to it all, probably because she's resigned that she'll catch it at some point. I wished her a good day, and said, "Stay healthy!" as I walked away.

I exercised extra caution handling everything after that, especially when I got home. I want to reduce our risk of catching this as much as possible. Kind of a tough situation, when the middle man isn't taking the same precautions.

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Did the Safeway have sneeze guards? They installed them at our local store. I haven't seen them yet, but I got an email.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Did the Safeway have sneeze guards? They installed them at our local store. I haven't seen them yet, but I got an email.

No, at least not at this location. It was typical business as usual, except customers maintaining a safe distance between other customers. It was weird walking around the store. Nobody made eye contact, and nobody crowded anybody. I actually heard myself saying "Excuse me" to the one person who was twenty feet behind me when I did a U-turn in one aisle. She ignored me. :shrug:

Dave