• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shingrix Vaccine

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I had the 2nd of the two-dose regimen of the new Shingles vaccine: Shingrix. I feel like HELL. My arm super sore but I feel like I have the flu: Every muscle hurts, fever, nauseated. Barely slept last night. I didn't feel this way after the first dose.

I have since read up on the Shingrix vaccine and the CDC estimates one out of 6 people suffer from these symptoms. YUK!!!

I guess it's better than shingles. But I have never felt this awful from a vaccine before.

Just be aware if you get this vaccine that you might not feel so great afterwards.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My wife and I had the first dose not too long ago. My wife felt very bad about two hours after. I felt very bad the next morning. We almost went to the ER regarding my wife. She felt bad for three days.

Anyway, she might not do shot two. I guess I will but I am not looking forward to it at all.

Bill

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah -- kind of crazy. My co-worker told me her husband missed 3 days of work post vaccine b/c he was so affected by it. I really had no idea.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a pretty sore arm for about 3 days. Maybe a little moreso than with flu or pneumonia vaccines. But it beats shingles hands down. Think on the bright side. You WILL feel better and there is a much diminished chance of getting the very painful- and l-o-n-g lasting shingles.

Jim

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a pretty sore arm for about 3 days. Maybe a little moreso than with flu or pneumonia vaccines. But it beats shingles hands down. Think on the bright side. You WILL feel better and there is a much diminished chance of getting the very painful- and l-o-n-g lasting shingles.

Jim
Agreed! I've heard horror stories about shingles. I just had no idea that this vaccine would wipe me out the way that it has.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My arm was more sore than usual, and for a longer time, with the shots. Dh had the flu like symptoms for a day. Even if you suffered for a few days I would not suggest skipping the second shot. The side effects are not as bad as the shingles. My sil decided not to get them as she didn't want to deal with the potential side effects since they were going to go on a trip. Guess what, she got shingles and suffered for months.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Me too! On Friday I had a flu shot AND a shingles shot - big mistake. I was miserable Friday night and Saturday morning I got up for awhile and then went back to bed and slept until 1 pm - I could have slept all day, but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep that night, if I did. However, I felt OK by Sunday morning. I am going to have the 2nd shot, because I've had shingles and it's no fun either and lasts a lot longer.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yup.

Horrible. But better and shorter than the alternative
Worst I've ever had

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me too! On Friday I had a flu shot AND a shingles shot - big mistake. I was miserable Friday night and Saturday morning I got up for awhile and then went back to bed and slept until 1 pm - I could have slept all day, but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep that night, if I did. However, I felt OK by Sunday morning. I am going to have the 2nd shot, because I've had shingles and it's no fun either and lasts a lot longer.
I did the same thing -- flu shot and Shingrix at the same time. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea?

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I had a flu shot AND a shingles shot

Me too, about a week ago. I was very sore for the first 24 hours, and had minor feverish symptoms the first night. But it was nothing compared to a real case of the flu or shingles.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Yes, I felt really crummy for a day after my 1st shot too. I'm due for my second and will get it, just need to find a day when I won't miss any obligations if I end up with with the same reaction.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
On Friday I had a flu shot AND a shingles shot - big mistake.

Oh I did that 2 years ago, 1 shot in each arm! I am a side sleeper and couldn't sleep for 2 nights because I didn't have a good side to lay on. I wont be doing that again.

~Diane

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We did both the flu and shingles shot too. Dose two of the shingles shot would be only one shot so maybe no problems I hope.

Bill

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was lucky, a little pain on the first shot and nothing on the second shot. My wife had the Shingles for the second time this past winter (first time was when she was in High School) so she had to wait to get her first shot, but no major problems, just a little soreness. She will get her second shot in a month. Far better than having the Shingles, she said!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
That shingles second dose is very hard to find in our area.
Keep looking. The two shots are the same (Shingrix is Shingrix) I got one at my regular pharmacy and when the time came for the second one, they were out and their supply line was empty, so I went to another pharmacy.

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
I did the same thing -- flu shot and Shingrix at the same time. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea?
Me 3rd (or 4th?). I had both shots on Saturday and had flu-like symptoms on Sunday. Slept a lot on Sunday and was better on Monday but not 100%. i am glad Monday was a holiday and I didn't have to go to work. I am feeling much better today.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree felt bad after both initial and second shot. Slept solid and ran a temp. I did request flu and Shingrix shot at the same appointment. My internist would not let me have them both the same day. Looking back this was probably good advice.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had Shingrix shots 1 and 2 about a year ago. After the first shot my arm hurt for a couple of days. Zero problem after the second shot...

Problems or no problems get the shots. Shingrix is supposed to be something like 90% to 95% effective. Zostavax (the old shingles shot) was only 50% to 65% effective...

George

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I had the first shot a few months ago. My arm was painfully sore for 4-5 days. As a side sleeper, I couldn't sleep on the side where I had the shot. Didn't have any other side effects though. I didn't have any reaction to the old vaccine several years ago.

A friend had shingles and was in the hospital for three days, it was that bad. I'll take the side effects of the shots any day over that.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
My wife & I had no problems with the Shingrix vaccines. It seems we are hearing a lot from those who had reactions and little from the majority who did not.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That shingles second dose is very hard to find in our area.
There have been shortages in our area. I got the first shot, dh went in two days later and they were out. Once I had gotten the first shot I was put on a list at the pharmacy where I'd gotten it so that I would get preference when they got more in. They stopped giving the first shots until everyone had their second shots. Dh put himself on a couple of waiting lists and finally got both shots. You might want to do that.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yesterday I had the 2nd of the two-dose regimen of the new Shingles vaccine: Shingrix. I feel like HELL. My arm super sore but I feel like I have the flu: Every muscle hurts, fever, nauseated. Barely slept last night. I didn't feel this way after the first dose.

I have since read up on the Shingrix vaccine and the CDC estimates one out of 6 people suffer from these symptoms. YUK!!!

I guess it's better than shingles. But I have never felt this awful from a vaccine before.

Just be aware if you get this vaccine that you might not feel so great afterwards.

I had those symptoms from both of the shots. And I remember I had my colonoscopy last year just a couple of days after the second shingles shot. Was a fun time!

I think that is one reason my husband keeps putting off getting it. I told him to have it on a Saturday so he can recover my Monday workday. So far- he still has not had it.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had those symptoms from both of the shots. And I remember I had my colonoscopy last year just a couple of days after the second shingles shot. Was a fun time!

I think that is one reason my husband keeps putting off getting it. I told him to have it on a Saturday so he can recover my Monday workday. So far- he still has not had it.
I had ZERO idea that this vaccine had side effects like this. Ignorance is bliss , in my case! Tell your husband to get the vaccine on a Friday on the way home from work :)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Problem is that only people with issues report... which leads to confirmation bias.

I had zero issues with Shingrex vaccine - except minor muscle pain in injection area (standard).

Shingles can be devastating- especially if it ends up in eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk