• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shingrix Vaccine

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We had split reactions, me with no ill effects, Cliff with severe tremors and chills afterwards. He'd had the original shingles shot and shot #1 of the new vaccine with no problems, but shot number two laid him low for about half a day starting about 5 hours after the injection.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I went to CVS for the Shingrix shots. I was told that it would cost ~$200/shot as my drug plan did not include it. They suggested that I check next door at the CVS "Minute Clinic" as it might be under my health plan.

Sure enuff. My doc didn't have it, but the Minute Clinic nurse did. She verified that it was covered by my insurance ($-0- copay) and saved the 2nd dose for my return... the vial had my name on it (again $-0-).

Needless to say, I was impressed.
But it was a matter of walking thru the right door.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
I take the flu vaccine most years and generally have no issues. Shingrix was another matter. I felt like crap after both doses. Headache and feeling lethargic - like a very mild flu. BUT better than getting shingles.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I didn't realize what this thread is all about until now. My DW and I decided to go for our flu shots this afternoon at Walgreen's and asked about the shingles shot too. The doctor asked if we wanted to do it and they had some in stock. So, we had both shots, one in each arm. Literally just got home and saw this thread. So far, so good. I too am a side sleeper, so the next couple of nights may be interesting to navigate. Hopefully we don't suffer from these common symptoms, but we shall see. I am not a fan of needles in general, but these shots themselves were done very smoothly.

Best regards.

Mike

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I won't have any more shots at drugstores - doctor's office only for me. 2 years ago I had a flu shot at CVS and the substitute pharmacist acted like she didn't know what she was doing and injected the immunization into my shoulder joint. That shoulder was sore and had limited motion for months - strangely enough, it finally got better after I fell on the same shoulder when a dog was chasing me. You can tell by the location of the bandaid that it's definitely not where it's supposed to be.

IMG_2747.JPG

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I won't have any more shots at drugstores - doctor's office only for me. 2 years ago I had a flu shot at CVS and the substitute pharmacist acted like she didn't know what she was doing and injected the immunization into my shoulder joint. That shoulder was sore and had limited motion for months - strangely enough, it finally got better after I fell on the same shoulder when a dog was chasing me. You can tell by the location of the bandaid that it's definitely not where it's supposed to be.
I stopped relying on my doctor's office for shots. It seemed they never had the serum, for whatever shot it was I needed. For several years I had to get them at CVS since that is what my insurance covered. I was so glad to get on Medicare, now I can go to any pharmacy I want. There is a local one that I use now. My last shot at CVS the little blonde who gave it to me was dabbing at my arm afterwards and then asked "Do you usually bleed this much when you get a shot?".

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where we live here, doctors' offices don't carry any vaccine unless it is within a large HMO system. The good thing is that the CVS near us has the best pharmacists and one of them does all of our shots.

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had shingles about ten years ago, and I didn't hesitate to get the shingrix shot when it became available last year.

Shingles for me was as painful as kidney stones--each hurt enough I could only writhe on the floor. (And my shingles was the classic belt across the lower back which is not a sensitive area; I've known people who had it in the eyes which is unimaginable.)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

View attachment 14651

I had one of the shingles shots at the MD office and then they ran out so I had the second one at the drug store. Both times I got sick from it and my arm was killing me as well.

My husband's doctor does not give it so he would have to get it at a drug store.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, my doctor told me to go to one of the big drug store chains too as they couldn't get their hands on it.

Tangentially related, my daughter had to get a meningitis vaccine and several hours later was sobbing in pain from it. To the point where I called her doctor at night -- something I have never ever done. My daughter is a tough cookie so to see her react like that scared & upset me. Lucky her -- she has to get a "booster" for it in another year.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Because I know you are all concerned about me -- I'm feeling much better today :). It was just a 24-hour thing post-vaccine.

Yes. Was the same for me. Symptoms lasted just a day. Glad you are feeling better.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
The second shot made us both sick for 3 days. My wife actually contracted shingles before the shots. Take my advice - get the shots. You may get sick for a few days, but shingles is WORSE!

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting the number of people who have been able to get their Shinglix shot at a pharmacy. My wife and I put ourselves on a list at the local Walgreens several months ago. When we checked last week, they were giving shots to people who had signed up last October (a year ago). They said that they were getting ten doses a month (enough to cover five people). Rather than wait and get shingles in the interim, we decided to have the shots at our doctor's office. My drug plan will cover the cost of the vaccine, but I suspect that we will have to pay the cost for administering the shot. Rather do that than get shingles while waiting for Walgreens to catch up.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I got the shot at Costco. It was covered under my insurance. I have had Shingles before so I got prioritized on the list.

Don't wish Shingles on anyone.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Update- we got our shot on Tuesday. Wednesday morning I felt like vomiting, but once I ate some oatmeal I felt better. My DW didn’t experience that at all. Both us had sore arms, but now on Thursday they are only sore to the touch. We are glad we got the shot and look forward to getting the second one so we don’t need to worry about getting shingles.

Best regards.

Mike

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the earlier shingles vaccine, Zostavax, also have these side effects? If not, what is the benefit of the new shot? Is it cheaper? (Zostavax is expensive.)

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the shot at Costco. It was covered under my insurance. I have had Shingles before so I got prioritized on the list.

Don't wish Shingles on anyone.
I published a medical article on the virus that causes shingles (and also chickenpox), Varicella-Zoster Virus. (Varicella means chicken pox, Zoster is shingles.) The research I read while writing my article said that few people get Shingles twice. Yet, I have since heard from nay people who say they did get it twice.

I am wondering if there is new evidence saying that getting it more than once is common. Do you have any information on this priority list for people who have already had shingles? Was the insurance company the one who has the priority list, or was it from the clinic that provided the shot?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Does the earlier shingles vaccine, Zostavax, also have these side effects? If not, what is the benefit of the new shot? Is it cheaper? (Zostavax is expensive.)

Neither I nor my husband got sick from the Zostavax shot.

The reasoning for getting the new vaccine is that the new shingles shot is much more effective than the Zostavax shot which I believe is only 50% effective or something like that.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Shingrix shot is supposed to be 90% to 95% effective. The Zostavax shot, only 50% to 55% effective...

George

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if there is new evidence saying that getting it more than once is common. Do you have any information on this priority list for people who have already had shingles? Was the insurance company the one who has the priority list, or was it from the clinic that provided the shot?
All I have is the anecdotal account that my wife has had it three times. Albeit, not a full-blown case, but once across her back, and another time on her face/eye. The dermatologist said that it's severity was reduced because she'd had the original Zostavax. She's now had Shingrix.

If you are inferring that after one has had shingles that you develop an immunity, you're incorrect. (imo)

Jim

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Neither I nor my husband got sick from the Zostavax shot.

The reasoning for getting the new vaccine is that the new shingles shot is much more effective than the Zostavax shot which I believe is only 50% effective or something like that.
I also had no side effects from the Zostavax shot. Was surprised as most medicines give me Terrible side effects. I took it in my 50’s as my sister got shingles.

Will talk to my doctor about the new shot. I understand test studies said the new shot is more effective but wondering if new studies since it was released for the mass population show the same. I am always hesitant to take something newer due to my allergies.

I do know when I took the original shingle shot within a few days my other half got shingles. He didn’t realize it but I did as I studied pictures. Got him to a doctor within 24 Hours, he was given the medicine that helps it Not get as severe ( forgot name but must be taken as soon as you get it to have the best affect).

Suggest even if you take the new shingle shot, study pictures, so you can react quickly if you see the rash. Unfortunately my sister didn’t see the rash and it affected her with horrible head pain for over a year. She was tested for everything and went to many doctors until one diagnosed her with shingles.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We got our shots at Publix - no charge.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Zostafax is fairly ineffective at actually preventing shingles, to the point that I had a doctor not recommend even getting it given its cost. That was probably a bad recommendation in that while it was not the good at preventing shingles, as mentioned by Passportout, it did reduce the severity of shingles if you did contract it. Shingrix is supposed to be hands down better at actually preventing shingles (although still no 100% guarantee). That is why doctors are recommending it even if you have had Zostafax.

(I'm not as sure of this, but I believe the effectiveness of Zostafax diminished over time, while Shingrix is much more lasting.)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My sil, who contracted shingles last November, had the earlier shingles vaccine. She suffered badly so I'm not sure if it even lessened the severity for her.