• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scam or Not

bign411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently attended seminar by a company from California called Direct Transfer they claim to want to help us get out of our contract for a fee of course. Similar pitch that time share people used. A presentation on why time shares are scams then they have a representative speak to you about how they can help, each time you decline the price came down and when one representative didn't convince us then they sent in some one else. My friend and I own a week each at westgate vacation villas and we want out of our contracts. Any suggestions??????

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is a simple rule with Timeshare business offers:

NEVER pay an upfront fee - after they have your money, why should they actually DO ANY THING?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont think that this is a scam, in that they will probably deliver on their promise...its just expensive and its probably not necessary, ie you could give it away or sell it yourself

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
He has a mortgage - so I don't think he can give it away or sell it...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
He has a mortgage - so I don't think he can give it away or sell it...

How do you know the OP still has a mortgage on the TS?

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont think that this is a scam, in that they will probably deliver on their promise...its just expensive and its probably not necessary, ie you could give it away or sell it yourself

That depends on what their promise is - the written promise, I mean. They might SAY they will find a buyer, they have a buyer, you will be completely free of it, etc.....but what is in writing? Probably very little.
It's likely that all they will do for your fee is advertise your timeshare, and since it's worth little and you still owe on it, it's likely it'll never sell. Then you'll still owe the maintenance fees.

See if you can turn it back in to the resort.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How do you know the OP still has a mortgage on the TS?

Because he has been asking about refinancing it in his other posts - he bought it 1 1/2 years ago and financed it through the re$ort (Westgate.)

This company is a "Recovery Company," For a fee, they assert that they can get the developer to take the timeshare back.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just another PostCard Company...

Recently attended seminar by a company from California called Direct Transfer they claim to want to help us get out of our contract for a fee of course. Similar pitch that time share people used. A presentation on why time shares are scams then they have a representative speak to you about how they can help, each time you decline the price came down and when one representative didn't convince us then they sent in some one else. My friend and I own a week each at westgate vacation villas and we want out of our contracts. Any suggestions??????

If you want "out" of your ownerships, you're much better off just trying to give away your timeshares for free, rather than paying someone to (...only maybe) get the ownership out of your name. Even if you have to pay the closing costs yourself ($100-$300), you're way ahead of whatever numbers you are being asked to pony up by this PCC.

For $15, you can become a TUG member and post your offer (at no additional cost) in the "Bargain Deals" forum. Giving it away sure beats paying these opportunistic parasites $1,500 - $3,000 (with absolutely no guarantee that they will actually get your name off the ownership), no? :shrug:

P.S. After only belatedly seeing other posts above, placed while I was typing my input, if you still actually owe money on your timeshare purchase, then all bets are off. No one is going to take over your debt when there are timeshares owned free and clear being offered for free all day, every day.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
He can't - he bought it 1 1/2 years ago and financed it through Westgate so he owes $$$$.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am surprised that the company he spoke with would even talk to him if they are a normal PCC. Traditional PCCs require that you not have a mortgage. I get the impression that they are not a PCC, and just a scam.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Even if he put it on e-bay for $1 with a buy-it-now button...
He'd still be stuck with the payments due under his note.
His better bet might be a deed out in lieu of foreclosure.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am surprised that the company he spoke with would even talk to him if they are a normal PCC. Traditional PCCs require that you not have a mortgage. I get the impression that they are not a PCC, and just a scam.

It's not a PCC - it's a Recovery Company - they don't buy your timeshare - they claim they can get the developer to take it back - for a healthy upfront fee!

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
OUCH!

He can't - he bought it 1 1/2 years ago and financed it through Westgate so he owes $$$$.

"Westgate" and "financed" are two words I get queasy just seeing expressed in the same sentence...

I think Talent is quite likely exactly right --- begging Westgate to take back the deed in lieu of foreclosure might be the best approach. Then again, depending on exactly who staked the financing, even that avenue may not be an option if the financing was by a third party (i.e., not by Wastegate itself). :shrug:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Even if he put it on e-bay for $1 with a buy-it-now button...
He'd still be stuck with the payments due under his note.
His better bet might be a deed out in lieu of foreclosure.

He couldn't even transfer it and continue to make the payments. In order to transfer the deed, the mortgage must be satisfied. So Ebay isn't an option.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The "beloved" Wastegate is apparently in deep financial trouble themselves. For nearly 3 years there have been ongoing reports of layoffs, financing problems, partially completed resorts (the 1/3 finished Tower of Terror which will likely never see Wastegate complete the promised monstrosity they have promised) and the stopage of construction/abandonment of the water parks promised at some resorts that had been started but are now rusting hulks. Plus the "King" David has been selling off assets - all in all it sounds like they are in no position to take back weeks - especially if they are owed money on them.

This owner is also in deep and will have a very hard time getting out of this mess. But spending any money - especially thousands of dollars - is a total waste. Far better the money get used to address the real problem - the outstanding loan - rather than give it to what is likely a questionable organization looking to profit from owners problems.

Don't deal with them is the advice I'd offer.