• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Room preferences for Canyon Villas?

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

We'll be staying January 3-8 in a 1 bedroom at Canyon Villas in Phoenix. I just got the email about room preferences.

We like a quiet spot on a higher floor. What should I be asking for?

I'd also appreciate some ideas on things to do. We will probably go to Taliesin West and to the Heard Museum. Anything else that's not to be missed?

We used to travel to Phoenix fairly regularly, but haven't been for several years.

Thanks!

Dave

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are lots of threads that include activity suggestions, such as:
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221201
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210029
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202827
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226212
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193960

I found these with a search on "Musical Instrument Museum" which I always recommend. It's on Tatum Blvd, south of AZ 101, about 15 minutes from Canyon Villas - lots of fun for most ages and musical interests.
Desert Botanical Gardens is another fascinating place.

As for quiet location, "golf view" in Bldg. 2600 or 2700 is close to the main pool but not facing it.
enjoy!

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like third floor units facing toward the JW and the golf course, especially in Buildings 2700, 2600 and 2400. These buildings are also close to the main pool.

We've never stayed in 2500, but it overlooks a very nicely designed and very peaceful courtyard. I would have no problem with that building. Likewise, I've never stayed in 2300, but it offers views of the JW/gold course on one side and the quiet pool (which is always virtually empty) on the other. I wouldn't mind this building.

If you have small kids, 3200 or 3300 might be a good choice (they are next to the kid's pool/water park).

When we were there in October, we stayed in a second floor unit in 2900, which I liked more than I expected. Our balcony felt very private -- even though it overlooked the entrance to the property -- because of trees that provided a nice screen. It's also close to the main pool. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like third floor units facing toward the JW and the golf course, especially in Buildings 2700, 2600 and 2400. These buildings are also close to the main pool.

We've never stayed in 2500, but it overlooks a very nicely designed and very peaceful courtyard. I would have no problem with that building. Likewise, I've never stayed in 2300, but it offers views of the JW/gold course on one side and the quiet pool (which is always virtually empty) on the other. I wouldn't mind this building.

If you have small kids, 3200 or 3300 might be a good choice (they are next to the kid's pool/water park).

When we were there in October, we stayed in a second floor unit in 2900, which I liked more than I expected. Our balcony felt very private -- even though it overlooked the entrance to the property -- because of trees that provided a nice screen. It's also close to the main pool. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
If it's important to have a lock-off unit, be aware that the 2 bedrooms in 2300 and 2500 aren't lockoffs, IIRC. The courtyard is very pleasant - bocce ball and shuffleboard, firepit, the herb and veg garden (at least in the winter).

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We are in building 2700 right now and it is very quiet even though we are right by the pool area. Of course, it has been in the 50's this week, so that cuts down the pool use. From what I have seen walking around the resort it is pretty quiet everywhere.

Enjoy your time here.

Mike

SunandFun83

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
Phoenix to-do list

Musical Instrument Museum and Botanical Gardens top my list:

Things to do in Phoenix

Musical Instrument Museum - a must see
Desert Botanical Gardens
Heard Museum - Native American Arts
Sedona - Day Trip
Spring Baseball
Frank Loyd Wright - Taliesin West
Hikes - Pinnacle Peak, Camelback
All Things Western: Horseback Riding, chuck wagon
Desert Jeep Tours

Golf
Marriott Wildfire Courses
Troon North
Sunridge Canyon
Quinterro - worth the drive for a golf nut
Southern Dunes
TPC - Phoenix

Desert Ridge Mall
1 mile Walk
Paradise Bakery
Starbucks
Mimi's café
Albertson's market

Favorite Restaurant - White Chocolate very busy

Walk the Wash - Dry River Bed
Out the main entrance and left
Across tatum on pathfinder Drive
Go two blocks and you will find a walking path in a river bed

UK Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Following this thread as we are headed there in 2016.

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more hike to add to SunandFun83's list: Pistewa Peak (formerly Squaw Peak). The City of Phoenix has 200 miles of hiking trails!

Farther afield -full day trips - 1) Sedona (hiking, art galleries and Montezuma's Castle); 2) Tonto National Monument and Globe, AZ (Native American buildings, history, including mining)

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score
For day trips, also consider Tucson. During our stay at Canyon Villas in October, we drive down to Tucson one morning and spent the afternoon hiking in Madera Canyon (about 15-20 miles south of the city). We stayed overnight in Tucson (had a great dinner at a great authentic Mexican restaurant) and then hiked the next morning in Sabino Canyon (just north of Phoenix). Really enjoyed it!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Canyon Villas Beds and JW Pool Access

We will be staying at Canyon Villas 3/6/16 in a 1BR and 2BR. I am an owner but haven't stayed for a few years so I hope to get an update regarding sleeping accommodations and JW pool access schedule.

The villa layouts on the MVC website show a king in the master BR and a queen and sleeper sofa in the 2nd bedroom. Is this accurate for all villas or do some offer different sleeping arrangements. We typically request top floor unit with golf course view in specific buildings but would be open to lower floors if the noise from the units above isn't too bad. Does anyone have experience regarding noise from above?

The MVC website has a notice stating that access to JW resort facilities may be limited for specific dates, but there is no information regarding which dates are restricted. Where can I find more information about these restrictions? Thanks.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
The MVC website has a notice stating that access to JW resort facilities may be limited for specific dates, but there is no information regarding which dates are restricted. Where can I find more information about these restrictions? Thanks.

When I stayed there over Memorial Day week, the email asking for room preferences stated the days that JW amenities were not available. I believe it was just 2 days over the holiday weekend. You could just ask the resort directly.

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score
...The villa layouts on the MVC website show a king in the master BR and a queen and sleeper sofa in the 2nd bedroom. Is this accurate for all villas or do some offer different sleeping arrangements.

I believe that is the arrangement in all units.

[/QUOTE]We typically request top floor unit with golf course view in specific buildings but would be open to lower floors if the noise from the units above isn't too bad. Does anyone have experience regarding noise from above?[/QUOTE]

We also typically request a top floor because we hate noise from above. When we were at Canyon Villas in October, we were assigned to a second floor unit. We heard some walking, but it was not a problem. I wonder, though, what it would have been like if there had been a rowdy four-year old above us.

[/QUOTE]
The MVC website has a notice stating that access to JW resort facilities may be limited for specific dates, but there is no information regarding which dates are restricted. Where can I find more information about these restrictions? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I have found it on the resort's web page in the past, but I looked and I couldn't find anything. I would call the resort and asked them to email it to you (or inquire about your stay).

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Restaurant Updates

As we get closer to our trip, I would appreciate updated restaurant recommendations for the area. On previous trips, Roy's and the JW Golf Course Steak House had reasonably price happy hours, week night dinner specials (Tuesday at Roy's?), and early birds. Both JW restaurants were very good. Are these still offered and is the food good? Any other recommendations in the area? I'm sure we will visit the In-and-Out Burger for our first lunch.

Thanks.

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
After our afternoon at Taliesin West (which really shouldn't be missed) we had a nice meal at Pars Persian Cuisine (http://www.parspersiancuisine.com/).

It's a small strip center place but to me, it seemed pretty authentic, except that they serve pita instead of the traditional Persian taftoon bread.

We also enjoyed Mimi's in the Desert Springs shopping center. In addition to serving lunch, they also continue their breakfast menu into the afternoon on Sundays, which I really like. We also ate there on Wednesday night, and all the bottles of wine were half price. I understand it's a chain, but not one that we have in Houston.

If you're tempted to eat at the Canyon Villas poolside cafe, I suggest getting an extra frozen pizza at the Market Basket instead. We had the barbecue special one night, and it was really bad. (Thankfully we didn't pay for it. It was comped because our room wasn't ready at check-in time.)

By the way, we stayed on the top floor of the 2500 building. It was quiet and the view was pleasant.

Last edited:

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another Phoenix to-do - Arizona Science Center

Resurrecting this older thread to keep Canyon Villas activity recommendations in one place...
We had a morning to kill before our flight today and discovered the Arizona Science Center, in downtown Phoenix (between 5th and 7th, Washington and Monroe, discounted parking described on the website, and only 10 minutes from the airport rental car return). It isn't cheap (and I couldn't find any promo codes looking quickly) but it is AWESOME,for ages 4 and up, including science-minded teenagers. Lots and lots of hands-on fun activities, with very clever learning opportunities. I am a STEM sort and I was quite impressed...and sorry I did not have a grandkid or two to bring along.
They have an IMAX theater where we saw a terrific documentary in 3D about lemurs.
Create at ASC is a "makerspace" with interesting potential too...including the opportunity to learn 3D printing.
www.azscience.org