• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canyon Villas Experiences?

travelgirl8

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to Canyon Villas in Phoenix in June. Would love to hear about your experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to Canyon Villas in Phoenix in June. Would love to hear about your experience.

We were just there for a week in March. Weather was in the high 70s, low 80s in the daytime, 50s at night - we slept with the window open, listening to the waterfall, and had perfect *baseball* weather for all the games we saw. However - you are going to be there when it is HOT HOT HOT - not as bad as August, but I think you need to look over the historical temperatures, and the long-term forecasts. We were just glad to get away from all the snow here in upstate NY.

We basically used the resort sleep and eat breakfast - we were OUT every day. Had friends from Canada who winter there - and they all LEAVE in April, because it gets nicer in Alberta, worse in AZ. It took us a couple of days to even find what we wanted in the huge mall down the road - next trip back ( and yes, there WILL be a next trip - we liked it there!) will be better. LOVED the Musical Instrument Museum (we are professional classical musicians, and retired music teachers) - but you must plan your visit; do the things you like downstairs, but once you head upstairs, start with the American and European instruments - HUGE HUGE collections - and if you have any energy left over, you then can peruse the huge collections of instruments from many world cultures (unless of course, you have specific reason to start THERE first.) Our Canadian friends took us to this place that, upon hearing OF it , made us roll our eyes (not that we are snobs - but everybody who knows pro musicians thinks they know of someplace that will impress us - not quite . . .) but we had SO MUCH FUN - and cheap . . They took us to Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa - the size of a German beer hall, but pizza and weak beer /soda - and the world's largest Wurlitzer pipe organ, with orchestrion (additional added percussion, trumpets, etc.) and REALLY fine players. Before you go - learn ALL the words, and practice the Star Spangled Banner AND O Canada - you will need to known them - depending who is seated at your table.
http://tugbbs.com/forums/images/smilies/cheer.gif

Since we were there mainly to watch baseball, that took up the best part of three or four days. You will want indoor, cooler things to do. If you go EARLY or LATE, when the temperature in endurable, you can go to the Desert Botanical Gardens - again, wear good walking shoes. We also went to Taliesin West - interesting, but we no not need to see it on the next trip.

We never used the pool when at CV - too many other things to do. Next time, we will see if we can stay near the quiet pool - too small for any exercise swimming, but good for just a cooling dip.

So have a great time - look for COOL things to do in the heat!

M

travelgirl8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information on Az. I know that June is not the ideal time to visit this part of the country, but we are combining business with some additional days for pleasure - so June it is. It looks like over 100 degrees average in June! I would have never known about the Musical Instrument Museum. Thanks for the info. It sounds like a wonderful place to visit. The Organ pizza stop sounds like an interesting stop.... pizza, organs and sing-a-longs. We like baseball, but don't know about baseball in June in Az. I want to see the red rocks and maybe Sedona also. I'd better make sure I have a car with good a/c. I'm sure we will enjoy the trip even with the heat.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I'd better make sure I have a car with good a/c. I'm sure we will enjoy the trip even with the heat.

Well, all rental cars in AZ will have a/c, but you may want to check it out before you leave the lot. I stayed at Canyon Villas at the end of May last year and got a rental car there at the Hertz desk at the hotel next door (much cheaper than from the airport). The a/c was awful, and it was 100 degrees the few days that we used it to go to Taliesin - which is a must see. (But since we only used it a few days I didn't bother exchanging the car.)

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Lazy River

If it is hot when you're there, make sure that you go over to the nearby JW Marriott. When you check in, ask for keys for the JW pool. There is a shuttle that goes there and back every half hour. They have a delightful "Lazy River". Bring some cash if you want a drink from the pool side bar.

Last December we went to the CV activity meeting. They had a Segway special so we signed up for an hour on a Segway in the Desert for something around $50. Very good deal and a lot of fun.

On either Monday or Tuesday nights at the grill at the main CV pool, they have a cowboy singer for entertainment. Marshall Pepper I believe. The idea of a cowboy singer may sound corny, but it is actually quite fun and he has a good voice and great musical system to back him up. :cheer:

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in Phoenix and do a summer staycation at least once per summer, because it is so inexpensive either through an Interval Getaway or with Destination points. The heat is overstated, if you ask me. Just hang out at the pool all day, either at the villas or the JW. The JW pool is much bigger and nicer. Be aware that they do not allow villa guests to use the JW pool during certain busy times/holidays.

We always have a great time staying there. Pool all day, then either bbqing or hitting one the the good restaurants at the JW. We have eaten at them all, and think they are all good. Be aware that Roy's is not Marriott so you will not get any Reward Points for eating there. The evenings in June are very pleasant. It is nice to sit outside at the Vista lounge and have some drinks.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
We have spent a couple of weeks at Canyon Villas, one early June, the other late November, and a New Year's week at Orange Tree in Scottsdale. We enjoyed the June week, even though the high was 109 degrees, so when it dropped to 90, we felt liberated, as at 109 the only outdoor activities had to involve lots of water. However, evening happy hours on the patio at Roy's, and our favorite, Marriott's Camelback Inn in Scottsdale, were very pleasant even on the warmest days.

We also enjoyed the Musical Instrument Museum and cafe, quite close to MCV, and the Heard Museum, and the botanical garden. The garden had week end evening hours the last time we were there, but I think it was for luminarias due to the holiday season. In June, the gardens could be very hot, so very early or late is best. On the November visit we had a beautiful horseback ride east of Scottsdale, but in June you would probably cook. We had practically perfect weather for the Nov-Dec. visit, so more outdoor options.

In Tug Resort Reviews I have more specific info, and the reviews are great for new ideas from lots of Tuggers. Another place we liked for lovely patio atmosphere was Lon's at the Hermosa Inn. Haven't checked their reviews lately but it is a long time Scottsdale classic with lovely grounds. Be sure to check out the interior if you eat on the patio.

Have fun and stay cool!

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Here is a video I did of the place a few years ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9KOhlL698kw

I bought there preconstruction in order to trade EOY for MR points and use in between. But I found it difficult to use a platinum week as I go to Beachplace every year for a month. I had been enticed by the half million MR points incentive, but wish now I didn't buy as marriott raised the hotel categories and left the exchange points the same...essentially killing the MR program. I also find it boring once you've been there and saw everything.

Brian

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a video I did of the place a few years ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9KOhlL698kw

I bought there preconstruction in order to trade EOY for MR points and use in between. But I found it difficult to use a platinum week as I go to Beachplace every year for a month. I had been enticed by the half million MR points incentive, but wish now I didn't buy as marriott raised the hotel categories and left the exchange points the same...essentially killing the MR program. I also find it boring once you've been there and saw everything.

Brian

I hear you about the MR points finagle - we NEVER EVER trade any properties for MR points (which is the general feeling around here, except for a few folks whose situation is different) - but we manage to collect enough from credit card use to get stays every so often. We were at CV the first time this past March, and liked the area - but I agree, there is not a LOT to do after you have made the rounds - unless, like us, you are there for Spring Training. Leaving the cold, snow, and ice of upstate NY to sit in the ballpark and see live games in March is wonderful - so we will go again, perhaps in a couple of years (we saw thee games in a week - one guy sitting next to us - visiting from Chicago - had seen ELEVEN!). Like you, we also spend some time - maybe a week, though not a month, at BeachPlace, where we own an EOY. I love where I live - but sometimes (like this winter!!!) it is good to have a few different places to escape to! With BOGO airfare certs, a good deal.

M

SunandFun83

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
I made a list, compulsive?

I went in November and made this list.

Look at the Arizona Guide for things to do.
My favorites are the Heard Museum, Botanical gardens, Musical Instrument Museum, Sedona, and something to celebrate native Americans. Here is my list from November.

Arizonaguide.com

9-Nov 12th Annual Pow Wow http://www.azcentral.com/commphotos/azcentral/12848/1/8#1

Heard Museum local arts & crafts http://www.heard.org/
11/9 & 11/10 - Spanish Art Market 10AM - 5PM

Desert Botanical Gardens http://www.dbg.org/
11/10 - 11/30 - Chihuly in the Gardens http://www.dbg.org/events-exhibitions/chihuly
15-Nov - Chiles and Chocolate
9/28-11/30 - Monarch Butterflies

11/9 & 11/10 39th Fountain Hills Art Fair http://www.fountainhillschamber.com/festival-of-arts.asp

Phoenix Art Museum
11/1-11/30 - West Select Exhibit http://phoenix.about.com/od/galleries/a/West-Select.htm

Publo Grande Museum http://phoenix.gov/recreation/arts/museums/pueblo/index.html
11/1-11/30 Ghost Towns of AZ -
Photography of Kurt Wenner
12-Nov Talk Cinema - Film Festival

11/1-11/16 Fall Baseball

12-Nov Talk Cinema Film Festival http://talkcinema.com/SneakPreviews
14-Nov Canyon Villas Board Meeting 2PM

Musical Instrument Museum http://mim.org/

:cool:

toxicesq

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Desert Botanic Garden does nighttime flashlight tours during the summer months, so you can explore the garden when it's cooler.

travelgirl8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Ideas!!

Thanks All!

I am new to timeshare and also new to the Phoenix area. These are great posts and give me a good idea of what to do in the heat. I didn't think about evening tours so that is a great idea if available. Brian We had a good time watching your video - several times - loved the music. Got us in the mood to travel to the desert and explore. I had set up a rental from the airport so I will look into the Hertz near the hotel.

SunandFun83 thanks for the list. I'm working my way through it. I'll have to look into what activities are going on the week we are there. Also looking through the restaurant list everyone left. Making my list now. It's great to have these ideas from those in the know!!:)

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
The heat is overstated, if you ask me.

+1

I love going to Phoenix, Vegas, Palm Springs in the summer for a vaca. It's awesome pool weather from morning to night. It's a true vacation; just sitting around relaxing. Short pants and bathing suits. Maybe a sweatshirt... for inside due to all the air conditioning. :)

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score
The heat is overstated, if you ask me. Just hang out at the pool all day, either at the villas or the JW.

I agree. We own a gold (as well as a platinum) week at Canyon Villas and have gone there several times in the summer (including early June). Yes, it is blazing hot, but that forced us to focus on slowing down and spending time at the pools at either CV or the JW. They were some of the best vacations we've had.