• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rewards Points rant

dougef

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Grande Vista
Am I the only one?

It seems to me that my Marriott Rewards Points post properly in at most 50% of my Marriott stays - MVCI or hotels. Most recent examples: Was in St Kitts in August. One week at MVCI and one night at the hotel. For the MVCI Timeshare stay (which is on a separate folio) all of the charges were for bar and restaurants on property and one small ($7) charge from the shop (marketplace equivalent). The base points were less than 10 times the total paid at check out. I don't know why and couldn't figure it out. I have written in to see if they will correct it.

My one night at the hotel wound up on two folios. They processed the room charge a day or so before I checked in - not sure why. But that still has not shown up in my MR account at all. The restaurant and bar charges were on a separate folio, and that has not shown up either. It is almost a month since we checked out. And, yes, my MR number is on all of the folios.

And this is similar to what happens to many of my trips. I would think that one of the World's largest hospitality companies, with incredibly sophisticated computer systems, could manage to get this process fully automated and seamless to the customer.

I have read on flyer talk, that some folks have gotten so disgusted with this (particulary for non-US travel) that they have moved to Starwood or Hilton so they don't have to deal with it. But as an owner of 2 MVCI properties, I am too locked in to Marriott Rewards to stay elsewhere.

End of rant. Thanks for listening.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Although I don't have the answer to all of your issues, it's almost certain that the problem in getting fewer points for your miscellaneous charges at MVCI relates to services provided by contracting businesses. Many onsite businesses are run by other entities rather than by Marriott. Those charges aren't eligible to earn points, per the Marriott Rewards T&C:
Charges which do not qualify for points include taxes applied to the room rate, paid outs, purchase of Marriott gift certificates, charges for Marriott contracting services, and catering or banquet functions charged to the guest room account.

dougef

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Grande Vista
Although I don't have the answer to all of your issues, it's almost certain that the problem in getting fewer points for your miscellaneous charges at MVCI relates to services provided by contracting businesses. Many onsite businesses are run by other entities rather than by Marriott. Those charges aren't eligible to earn points, per the Marriott Rewards T&C:

Dave,

Based on the difference in points and comparing them to all of the charges, I don't think that is the answer. I certainly thought of that, but the math just does not work. I also tried subtracting the taxes on the restaurant and bar charges and that didn't work either.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW - I've had similar experiences with Starwood and Hyatt.

There is no doubt that the informed consumer needs to follow these things up. Also, most folios tell you on the bottom how many loyalty points you are getting - that's the best time to check.

I have issues with Marriott Rewards but not this one. I'm aghast that anyone would ever avail themselves of a Stay Anytime reward when both Hilton and Starwood will give you the room for the regular rate as long as it's available.

lovearuba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi
I've done a lot of ranting about using reward points in general but I have to say I've been fortunate in getting the ones I was entitled to posted to my account accurately.