• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retirement Account Idea/Question

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the government has thought about removing the 10% penalty for dipping into retirement accounts before the minimum age requirement. I know you can borrow from them at no cost, but you need to pay them back. It might make sense to lift that penalty during times of crisis like this one. Thoughts?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I wonder if the government has thought about removing the 10% penalty for dipping into retirement accounts before the minimum age requirement. I know you can borrow from them at no cost, but you need to pay them back. It might make sense to lift that penalty during times of crisis like this one. Thoughts?

Hardship early withdrawals are already allowed. They are taxed to the participant but they do not have to be repaid to the borrower's account.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
here Is my fantasy,and I mean fantasy, just for one year they let you roll it into a a Roth tax free

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What if I don’t recontribute the CVD?
Another good question. You will be taxed on the CVD amount that you don’t recontribute within the three-year window, but you don’t have to worry about owing the dreaded 10% early withdrawal penalty if you are under age 59½.

You can choose to spread the taxable amount equally over three years, apparently starting with 2020. But here it gets tricky, because the three-year window won’t close until sometime in 2023. Until then, it won’t be clear that you failed to take advantage of the tax-free CVD rollover deal.

So, you may have to amend a prior-year return and report some additional taxable income from the CVD. Details to follow, because I don’t think our beloved Congress gave much thought to this issue when drafting the CARES Act.

You also have the option of simply reporting the taxable income from the CVD on your 2020 Form 1040. You won’t owe the 10% early withdrawal penalty if you are under age 59½.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I don't want to WD any $$ from our IRA's... don't need it.
Instead, I want to repay the RMD we took earlier this year.
Apparently, this will be allowed... But where to invest it?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't want to WD any $$ from our IRA's... don't need it.
Instead, I want to repay the RMD we took earlier this year.
Apparently, this will be allowed... But where to invest it?
Where did you read that this will be allowed? I have been searching for the possibility of doing so and have yet to find an article that says so.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
"I want to repay the RMD we took earlier this year. Apparently, this will be allowed."
Where did you read that this will be allowed?

Per Kiplinger's --
"A 2020 distribution taken within the last 60 days, however, can still be put back into an IRA in what is called an indirect rollover, provided you haven’t made any other indirect rollovers in the past year. If you have taken more than one distribution in the past 60 days, those additional distributions could be put into a Roth IRA, using a strategy called an indirect Roth conversion. Although you won’t avoid the tax on those distributions, you’ll have the benefit of letting that money grow in a tax-free Roth account, says Brian Vnak, vice president of advisory services for Wealth Enhancement Group.

For distributions taken more than 60 days ago in 2020, a new strategy exists. Under the CARES Act, those distributions could potentially be repaid into the IRA over the next three years if you can show that the money was withdrawn to cover a coronavirus-related hardship."

-- https://www.kiplinger.com/article/r...s-stimulus-you-can-wait-to-take-your-rmd.html

-- I'm still in the 60-day rollover period, but the end is fast approaching.