• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retail/Developer Cost

Texicali

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve read resale threads that discuss the huge depreciation from retail. Is there place that captures the retail rates? I am getting a sense of what things might go for in the resale market but prices are all over the place. I’m curious what someone would expect to pay in retail before I make a purchase. So if my target is to pay X% of retail, what’s the retail rate?

RX8

Timeshare Scam Investigator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I have seen starting prices of $8 per point then they discount from there. The discounts will vary. Expect offered retail prices between $4 and $8.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Too expensive....

Our last resale were 0.24/pt

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I have seen starting prices of $8 per point then they discount from there. The discounts will vary. Expect offered retail prices between $4 and $8.
That discount I have only heard on the HVC side. I haven’t really heard much if any discount on the HGVC. I know the retail price on the HGVC side was around $5/pt. I really don’t follow it so much sure if it has increased.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
This website lists recent resales by buyers and if they passed. Gives you an idea.
True but for some reason the OP is asking about developer/retail rates. We really aren’t that versed in retail rates.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
True but for some reason the OP is asking about developer/retail rates. We really aren’t that versed in retail rates.
What's a retail rate?

:)

Cheers.

Reddart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA
W57th
Back door “Max”
And I think the absolute answer as to the amounts is not possible…the salesgoons want this to be nebulous as possible so they can get as much as possible…or lower the price to try and get a sale.

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
And I think the absolute answer as to the amounts is not possible…the salesgoons want this to be nebulous as possible so they can get as much as possible…or lower the price to try and get a sale.
Or try to sell you something that isn't what you think it is (points vs a deed).

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
place that captures the retail rates?
This is like asking for the crime stats of the worst neighborhoods when you plan to go for a long slow walk through them. Who cares? Don't buy from the developer.
The one time I was in "the room" the # seemed to be $4/pt, but again, WHO CARES? I heard the #, realized how insane it was, took out a pen and napkin, did a quick calc, showed it to her, explained it to her. She cried and left the room never to be seen again.

It is like asking "What is the all-time high of Peleton stock?" Who cares? Some idiot paid it. If they hung around they lost over 90% of their money. End of story.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
You bring up a good point when you give a range of prices per point for retail purchases. I have been to presentations over the years and the initial price that is given is always followed up by a lower price (better deal) to get you to buy. The price per point varies by location, resort, unit description, and season. Also, with HGVC doing Deedbacks, they are obtaining inventory with no cost to develop it, therefore, they can afford to offer that inventory at a deep discount to inventory that they had to build.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
The price per point varies by location, resort, unit description, and season.
Also by the skillset of the sales person, their willingness to confabulate, and the amount of skepticism shown by the prospective buyer. There are also boundaries set by corporate that individual sales weasels typically cannot cross.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also by the skillset of the sales person, their willingness to confabulate, and the amount of skepticism shown by the prospective buyer. There are also boundaries set by corporate that individual sales weasels typically cannot cross.
I am not sure there are very many boundaries

gravityrules

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
I received an email from DVC today and in the small print it says "Membership requires purchasing a deeded ownership in a Disney Vacation Club Resort ... which is typically priced at $23,500 to $60,100"

Although that is quite a range it does provide some idea of retail for that product. I've seen a similar statement in Wyndham solicitations. There may be something like this in HGVC solicitations.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I received an email from DVC today and in the small print it says "Membership requires purchasing a deeded ownership in a Disney Vacation Club Resort ... which is typically priced at $23,500 to $60,100"

Although that is quite a range it does provide some idea of retail for that product. I've seen a similar statement in Wyndham solicitations. There may be something like this in HGVC solicitations.
There is also for HGV. It is on the bottom of the marketing pages and it goes up to about $500k.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Retail prices are listed on the Public Offering Statement (POS) for each resort, which is updated annually or as needed. They are available on the website for whatever State entity licenses condos and timeshares. Those prices are by unit type and usage (annual, biennial). The wide spread in the marketing stuff reflects the different unit types. There isn't really a set price per point for deeded non-trust ownership in HGVC; if OP is looking at HVC, that might make sense, but the appropriate retail price is 0. Embarc has retail pricing per point and some resale value.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was wrong about the $500k...it is over $700k. https://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/

Glad that we have spent under $30k for about 100k points...

1000009127.png

So, according to this, the minimum cost of HGVC is $7,800 , $13,520 for 4k points in the DRI US/Hawaii Collections, and $20,280 for 6k points in Embarc.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Here is the site for the Real Estate Finance Database in NY:

If you search by the address 101 west 57th Street, you get a result that looks like this:

1724840635933.png

The link for T180002 gets you a listing of all the amendments to the POS for The Quin when you select the tab entitled Documents. That listing looks like this:

1724840751607.png

Amendment 12, attached, includes the price listing for the various unit broken down by unit type, platinum, gold, Thanksgiving Event Time, New Year's Event Time, annual/biennial, and unit number for the penthouse units, which are fixed week, fixed unit ownerships. It includes a disclaimer that the prices are negotiable and different purchasers may pay different amounts for identical interests. Whenever we've gone through an update, the offers we've been presented with seemed to match the POS; we did quite well by trading in a couple of resale weeks for a week at the Quin. YMMV, of course, but this is how you can find the list price for at least the NYC ones. I haven't looked up non-NYC ones, but found this because I was looking for the W57 POS as I have a resale week there.

Attachments

• T180002_Central Park Vacation Suites (AKA The Quin Central Park By Hilton Club)_Amendment 12.pdf
    731.8 KB · Views: 5

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Always remember, there first had to be a retail purchase in order for there to be resale.
Wise statement right there.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
anybody got a good guess what the $759 K deed is? Real value? $60 K? just for grins.
No idea which week that would be but it would have to be a big point and/or penthouse in Hawaii or maybe NYC, but I would guess more toward Hawaii

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
anybody got a good guess what the $759 K deed is? Real value? $60 K? just for grins.
I believe these are the penthouse units at either The Quin or Central on 5th. Back a few years ago, there was a post that had a flyer with that price. I would imagine The Crane (Barbados) would have some very expensive units as well.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The most expensive week at The Quin is unit 1901 week 52. The current price listed for that week is $342,990 for annual. I'm not sure whether it is sold at present. See post #18.

Unit 1901 is quite nice; a one bedroom penthouse spanning the 19th floor with the bedroom and bathroom on the 18th floor, accessible by an internal staircase. MFs are $5748.11 for it, but it does show up with a fair amount of availability for owners at The Quin. I've stayed in that unit and like it, particularly when using lower cost points to reserve it at 25% off, as I'm doing for several nights next month. I just don't like it at the 1/3 of a million dollars price....

ilovetrips2024

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney's Riviera Resort