• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

responding to condescension

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am always at a loss for how to respond to a condescending remark, or maybe the best response is none?

Sometimes they annoy me, sometimes they leave me with my jaw hanging, but in the end I find it amusing that someone would share with me the fact that they somehow think they have something or know something I don't, or that their house or car is bigger or worth more, so I must be poor or uninformed (Poor me! :bawl: ).

I am not looking to snipe back, but I would love to have a humorous response that points out the fallacy of their thinking. How do you handle these kinds of remarks?

PS. These generally come from my immediate family :doh:

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
'Tis a pity that some people can only make themselves feel better by belittling others. People who do a lot of talking, are doing what they do best. :D

(Read into it what you'd like!! ~ Sometimes Silence is Golden!! :ignore: )

Last edited:

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smile and let it go.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You should just let it go. It's better to ignore such remarks because they will think you aren't bothered.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
"Wow. That was pretty rude. Here, sweetie, -- (patting the seat beside you) -- Why don't you sit a little closer, so I can slap you out of that Ivory Tower you're living in?" :whoopie:

Dave

geekette

Reaction score
Just smile and say nothing. Let them think what they want.

I'm the youngest of the family, so always presumed dumbest. That got annoying very quickly but I also found out quickly that no one gave a crap what I thought or if they'd hurt my feelings so silence became the response of choice. It has worked for many years now.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Wow. That was pretty rude. Here, sweetie, -- (patting the seat beside you) -- Why don't you sit a little closer, so I can slap you out of that Ivory Tower you're living in?" :whoopie:

Dave

Good one, Dave. Sometimes one needs to stand up to the rudeness--call it like it is. Then let it go. As long as you hold onto the pain (annoyance, etc) you are the victim. When you forgive and let it go, you are no longer the victim. I think it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said no one can make us feel bad without our permission. There is a huge difference between suffering in silence (being stoic) and letting go of the hurt. Choose to let it go after you call them on their rude behavior. It may be that they don't realize how they come across. (I doubt that, but it is a possibility. Let them know they are rude.)

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... I find it amusing that someone would share with me the fact that they somehow think they have something or know something I don't, ...

Maybe, on occasion, they do know more than you do. So what?

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
So Somebody Says I'm A Doofus . . .

If that happens, there are only 2 possibilities.

(1) I am a doofus.

-- or --

(2) I am not a doofus.

If I am & somebody says I am, then they've got me pegged & I might as well keep quiet about it.

If I'm not & somebody says I am, then they're flat wrong & there's no advantage in proving their point by fussing over it.

One time a United States Senator from The Commonwealth Of Virginia got accused in print of being The Dumbest Guy In Congress.

A smart guy would have simply ignored it & pretty soon nobody would remember anything about it. A dumb guy would get his knickers in a twist & try to do something.

So what did our U.S. Senator do?

Upon being labeled The Dumbest Guy In Congress, he pretty much erased all doubt by calling a press conference to deny it.

So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the votes for silence--which has been my response after closing my jaw. ;) I guess my point was about the need to "put down" and how to deal with the rudeness of the patronizing behavior, and maybe silence is the only good recourse.

It may be that there is no good way to point out their rudeness without being inflammatory to them--and that is not my goal. (Although I chuckled at Dave's reply :rofl: ) I realize that this type of behavior is their problem, not mine! :)

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. :eek: Has nothing to do with condescending remarks but something I remind my husband of frequently. :ignore:

TerriJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to all the good advice, breathe deeply and relax the jaw.

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
My grandmother used to say "Consider the source". If someone is needy enough to put you down to make themself fell bigger, then ignore it and possibly put some distance between you and them, you don't have to be always available for visits or phone calls.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's VERY hard for me to keep my mouth closed, so who am I to give advice? That said, if you can, don't say anything - but SMILE knowingly.:D

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bullying

I think patronizing behavior is a subtle form of bullying. How do you handle bullies? If you don't stand up to bullies, they keep on bullying. You can stand up to the patronizing behavior without becoming inflammatory.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Pushing Back.

If you don't stand up to bullies, they keep on bullying.
I think that's right.

Sometimes social bullies just need to know where the victim's pushback point is.

If the victim never pushes back, the bully just keeps on bullying. That being the case, it might be better to push back quicker -- not bullying back, just coming back assertively rather than defensively -- & then the social dynamic will be established so that everybody can simply move on.

When the social bullies just keep going without let-up, avoidance may be the only practical way of dealing with it, even if that means tactical retreat sometimes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, at Jesus' trials before Pilate and Herod, he remained silent when falsely accused of anything and responded only when someone said something that had some truth to it.

IMHO, silence is golden in these situations.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I find short, pointed questions are sometimes useful. I wouldn't hesitate to use these on people you don't have to see often, but think twice about using them on family or employers.

"Why would you say such a rude thing?"

"Did your mother teach you to bully people like that?"

"How is that any of your business?"

"Wow, [optional: you're really hostile today.] I'll bet you have a lot of trouble with relationships. I know a great therapist. Would you like her number?"

"Gosh, you must feel really insecure. Would you like to talk about it?"

and if you know the person and can think quickly, how about

"Yeah, it reminds me of the time you ....[ whatever embarrassing event you can quickly remember]."

If something like this won't work, or you don't want to risk it with someone you have to see a lot, you can just smile and imagine yourself slashing their tires ....

Happy new year ....

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Examples, please?

I am always at a loss for how to respond to a condescending remark, or maybe the best response is none?

Sometimes they annoy me, sometimes they leave me with my jaw hanging, but in the end I find it amusing that someone would share with me the fact that they somehow think they have something or know something I don't, or that their house or car is bigger or worth more, so I must be poor or uninformed (Poor me! :bawl: ).

I am not looking to snipe back, but I would love to have a humorous response that points out the fallacy of their thinking. How do you handle these kinds of remarks?

PS. These generally come from my immediate family :doh:

Could you post a few examples of the comments?

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find short, pointed questions are sometimes useful. I wouldn't hesitate to use these on people you don't have to see often, but think twice about using them on family or employers.

"Why would you say such a rude thing?"

I think that is a very legitimate question and if said with the right tone--not in a hurt/whiney way nor in a hostile attack-back fashion--will make the offensive person stop and think twice. Sometimes people just don't realize how rude their remarks sound to the recipient. If they continue the attack, then just walk away. Just walk away. I did that recently. I refused to listen to hostile, racist remarks and I didn't want to demean myself by making any snide comments back so I just said, "I'm outta here!" and went to join a different circle of friends.

I wouldn't think twice about confronting family but I might try something different with an employer. I wasted years trying to be polite to a family member when I should have been forthright and honest. Would have saved myself alot of anger and frustration if I'd just stated my truth simply rather than trying to protect her feelings be being polite.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I, too, like isisdave's (20) comments. If someone is snooty, rub their snoot in it. Publicly if possible

Jim Ricks

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is funny, but I was just thinking of posting this condescending remark .

Lat March, we booked the Galleon, some people we see at the pool, but are not friendly with were talking of going to Key West. I said I was going , staying at the Galleon, it was on front street, right at the harbor. no they said, there is no such place, they stay at the hyatt all the time, walk around all over, there is no Galleon, there is no other tall building except the Hyatt and nothing between the Hyatt and the harbor. We got scammed, poor things, they stay at the best location, we are probably in a crummy location.Imagine my surprise when we discovered the Galleon was right next to the Hyatt, between the Hyatt and the harbor, and you can see the rooms for the Hyatt from the Galleon and vice versa and there is a sign at the Hyatt saying Walkway to Galleon Resort., Can't wait tos ee them again and politely ask how much they drink when they go to Key West.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definition of Diplomacy:

The art of telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the journey.

Learning a few diplomatic putdowns always restores confidence, even if you never use them.