• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Like many I now see here my husband and I feel we have been duped into signing a timeshare with Westgate Palace, Orlando.

I immediately had second thoughts and want out. We leave Florida tomorrow and head home to Scotland arriving Monday. I plan to draft the letter of rescission that day and send it via tracked and signed for mail on Tuesday. We signed the contract on Thursday 5th so I understand we are still within the 10 day period of Florida.

We will both sign the letter and I just want some reassurance that once this goes and I have a receipt of proof of postage that I have essentially completed that obligation? I am a very anxious person and this has left me so upset with sleepless nights.

I can only find an account number, not a contract number but will try to find that when I'm home on the CD on Monday.
I am also paying to send the documents they gave us and tablet back to the same address on the contract that I'm sending the rescission letter to. When posting it asks for email and telephone numbers, the only one I have are the owners relations ones are these sufficient?

Any help you can give me is much appreciated!

Thank you!

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Yes, as long as you mail the letter with proof of mailing to the address they provided in your paperwork you are off the hook. They are legally obligated to cancel your contract if you have followed their instructions. If you can photocopy the signatures/info page to include that might help, but as long as you have you account number they will be able to find your file. If both of you signed the contract then both need to sign the rescind letter. You can put in your letter that the tablet will be mailed separately then send that back by the cheapest means possible. If you put a deposit down, they will refund you within about 45 days and they will probably not give you any updates on how the refund and cancellation is going.

While you are waiting for the cancellation do not answer any of their calls, not that they would call Scotland -lol, as they will be just trying to talk you out of rescinding. Same goes for going back to the sales office -just don't!

Congratulations on finding TUG and saving yourself thousands. We can stay at the same resorts, in the same or bigger size unit, on the same week with our free timeshare as anybody who paid full price for theirs!

~Diane

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on finding TUG in time to rescind and save a fortune!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We leave Florida tomorrow and head home to Scotland arriving Monday.
First of all, I'll echo what the others here have said and advise you to rescind.

Next question. What did the sales people tell you that convinced a person living in Scotland that owning a TS in Florida is a good buy?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Like many I now see here my husband and I feel we have been duped into signing a timeshare with Westgate Palace, Orlando.

I immediately had second thoughts and want out. We leave Florida tomorrow and head home to Scotland arriving Monday. I plan to draft the letter of rescission that day and send it via tracked and signed for mail on Tuesday. We signed the contract on Thursday 5th so I understand we are still within the 10 day period of Florida.

We will both sign the letter and I just want some reassurance that once this goes and I have a receipt of proof of postage that I have essentially completed that obligation? I am a very anxious person and this has left me so upset with sleepless nights.

I can only find an account number, not a contract number but will try to find that when I'm home on the CD on Monday.
I am also paying to send the documents they gave us and tablet back to the same address on the contract that I'm sending the rescission letter to. When posting it asks for email and telephone numbers, the only one I have are the owners relations ones are these sufficient?

Any help you can give me is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Do rescind and don't even think twice about it.

What you just paid thousands of dollars for can be easily obtained on eBay for just ONE dollar.

Be sure all buyers also sign the rescission paperwork and be sure to mail it via USPS CERTIFIED MAIL. Get it Postmarked Tuesday, October 10th and retain a copy of your paperwork as well as the Postal receipt.

Welcome to TUG and best of luck.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats on finding Tug and starting your recission in time. CERTIFIED MAIL is so important as it will document you sending it to them, as are signatures matching the contract. If you question anything about what you submitted, you can do it multiple times.

Once you get this all resolved, your stess should go down. You may want to consider researching different timeshare systems on TUG and buying resale. Westgate has a terrible reputation and you could get a unit for free basically - but whatever made you consider buying in the first place indicates you may enjoy having a timeshare. If you purchase into a good system that would work for you, and pay what it is worth on the open market, you will find it can really work. I found TUG before buying, did my research (HGVC and Hyatt), bought deeded units with points systems access for internal trades, and have really enjoyed using all of ours. I have also researched Marriott and a few others but never pulled the trigger.

With my ownerships, i also have been able to get extra vacations for cash using Interval getaways. You considered owning in Orlando, which is often available at great prices - because Orlando is flooded with timeshares. I never have used the RCI equivalent as i never saw anything i wanted. Marriott/Sheraton/Westin/Hyatt are all in Interval.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats on finding Tug and starting your recission in time. CERTIFIED MAIL is so important as it will document you sending it to them, as are signatures matching the contract. If you question anything about what you submitted, you can do it multiple times.

Once you get this all resolved, your stess should go down. You may want to consider researching different timeshare systems on TUG and buying resale. Westgate has a terrible reputation and you could get a unit for free basically - but whatever made you consider buying in the first place indicates you may enjoy having a timeshare. If you purchase into a good system that would work for you, and pay what it is worth on the open market, you will find it can really work. I found TUG before buying, did my research (HGVC and Hyatt), bought deeded units with points systems access for internal trades, and have really enjoyed using all of ours. I have also researched Marriott and a few others but never pulled the trigger.

With my ownerships, i also have been able to get extra vacations for cash using Interval getaways. You considered owning in Orlando, which is often available at great prices - because Orlando is flooded with timeshares. I never have used the RCI equivalent as i never saw anything i wanted. Marriott/Sheraton/Westin/Hyatt are all in Interval.
These nice folks are Scottish. I don't think Certified Post is a thing there. Maybe Registered?

Why would they want a US based timeshare at all? I have a hunch that by the time this rescission is done, they're going to have about all they care of US timeshares.

I'm sure that your association with Interval has been rewarding, but I don't see it as useful for UK residents.

Jim

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that your association with Interval has been rewarding, but I don't see it as useful for UK residents.

Jim

Since they were willing to purchase an ownership in Orlando, i would assume they were wanting to vacation there. I simply mentioned an alternate method to have Orlando access IF they choose to consider purchasing a resale timeshare after this narrow escape from an awful deal.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
These nice folks are Scottish. I don't think Certified Post is a thing there. Maybe Registered?

Why would they want a US based timeshare at all? I have a hunch that by the time this rescission is done, they're going to have about all they care of US timeshares.

Jim

You are absolutely correct. If they are outside of the United States they need to utilize REGISTERED MAIL which is available in almost every country......

Reaction score
Subject: Rescission letter for timeshare for account number: XXXX

Dear sir/madam,

This letter is our formal rescission request to cancel our timeshare for the account number: XXXX which was purchased on 5th October 2023 by XXXX and XXXX in accordance with the laws of the state of Florida.

The contract was for a 2-bedroom deluxe within XXXX, in assigned unit(s) XXXX in unit week XXXX for even years with first available occupancy date being XXXX

I request a full refund of the deposit XXXX and the cancellation of any future deposits found in the contract. The XXXX in timeshare financing we requested should also immediately be cancelled. Please do not make any additional charges to my debit card or any future payments.

The binder containing owners kit and the computer tablet will also be returned to the above XXXX address as a separate package.

Please also find enclosed a copy of the contract for purchase and sale containing our signatures for identification purposes and to ensure the contract is identified for cancellation.

Please confirm that you have received this rescission in writing.

Sincerely,

Signatures
Printed
Dated

We have both signed the letter and it will be posted first thing tomorrow morning through what we call international tracked and signed so it will have a trace going to the address on the contract for cancellation and should be signed for at their end.

Does all that look ok?

Thanks so much for all your help and guidance so far! It's been invaluable in the stressful situation!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes, that looks fine.
Now relax and take some time to read through all the information on these forums as well as on the rest of the TUG website, then you can make a more informed decision as to whether timesharing is right for you. If you are like hubby's British family and make frequent trips to the USA, then maybe a timeshare acquisition (notice I didn't say purchase) is right for you.

~Diane

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Smokey Mountains
Hey there! Was curious I'd this was resolved. :) Hubs and I just sent our letters off to Ocoee and Gatlinburg(where we bought ours) a few days ago. I'm still anxious about it. But trying to read through all these. :)

Reaction score
Hey!
Not yet! I sent the letter from Scotland on 11th October, tracking says it's going through customs so fingers crossed!

I've been reading these too to calm my nerves a bit, really just wanting it over with.

Next package to go is all their documents, marketing and tablet. :)

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Hey there! Was curious I'd this was resolved. :) Hubs and I just sent our letters off to Ocoee and Gatlinburg(where we bought ours) a few days ago. I'm still anxious about it. But trying to read through all these. :)
If you followed their rescind instructions to the letter as it says in your contract, and mailed it by the means they specify with a proof of mailing date (that is what counts, not when they get it)., then you will have no trouble. Also if 2 or more people signed the purchase then all must sign the rescind request. The company is legally required to honour your rescind request and refund any money you have paid. It might take 6 weeks, and they wont give you progress reports, but it will be done.

~Diane

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Smokey Mountains
If you followed their rescind instructions to the letter as it says in your contract, and mailed it by the means they specify with a proof of mailing date (that is what counts, not when they get it)., then you will have no trouble. Also if 2 or more people signed the purchase then all must sign the rescind request. The company is legally required to honour your rescind request and refund any money you have paid. It might take 6 weeks, and they wont give you progress reports, but it will be done.

~Diane
Unfortunately, we read threw the contract three times. And there was only two lines regarding rescinding. "You have ten days to rescind. If you wish to rescind you will need to attach your Deed" and the binder had nothing. And the CD didn't work for either of our computers.

But yeah we sent it to Ocoee address and Gatlinburg just in case.

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of help, wanting to return the binder and tablet but both couriers need a name to deliver to since it's coming from the UK to USA, Who do I put down? I said on the letter i'd put it back to the main office but I don't have a name and I really don't want to lose the $200 they'll charge.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of help, wanting to return the binder and tablet but both couriers need a name to deliver to since it's coming from the UK to USA, Who do I put down? I said on the letter i'd put it back to the main office but I don't have a name and I really don't want to lose the $200 they'll charge.
David Siegel is Westgate CEO, if you want the name of an actual person. Try to resist the urge to spell his last name as “Sea Gull”, an opportunistic scavenger species that some (…not me, of course) might say he closely resembles. ;)

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

I would just send it to where I sent the rescission paperwork.........

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Send it the cheapest way possible - via postal service, not courier, if you can. Time is not of the essence in returning those items; your rescission will be processed no matter when they receive those items.

Reaction score
Send it the cheapest way possible - via postal service, not courier, if you can. Time is not of the essence in returning those items; your rescission will be processed no matter when they receive those items.
Thank you, for customs I think I need a specific name and number, it keeps coming up as mandatory. My letter still hasn't been delivered, it's been 16 days now so I am starting to worry but know it might take a little longer.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
My letter still hasn't been delivered, it's been 16 days now so I am starting to worry but know it might take a little longer.
As long as you sent it via the method stipulated (likely certified mail) and you have a receipt that you sent the letter in time, then there should not be a problem. What matters is when the letter was sent, not when it was received.

Also, keep in mind two things. First, they are not obligated to contact you letting you know when the letter was received. Just keep a watch on your credit card activity (assuming you paid with a credit card). Second, they have up to 45 days to issue you a refund so don't fret merely after 16 days.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, for customs I think I need a specific name and number, it keeps coming up as mandatory. My letter still hasn't been delivered, it's been 16 days now so I am starting to worry but know it might take a little longer.

I hope you sent it via REGISTERED MAIL since you are not in the USA. If you did then you are all set.

REGISTERED MAIL generally takes longer, especially if you are out of the Country.